The Official Fluid Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
The Official Fluid Thread

Well, I'm getting quite high in miles and I plan on doing some service. So I wanted to start a thread of what fluids you need for your car and what brands are out there. I will try to throw in prices if I can find them. Some of the fluids will be OEM or OEM approved fluids.

Motor oil:
Mobil 1 0W40 European Synthetic blend
Amount: I believe 8.5 quarts
Price: $5-$8 per Quart

Coolant:
Valvoline Zerex G-05
Amount: Depends if you have a different H/E or if you're stock
Price: $7-$15 per gallon

Power Steering Fluid
Pentosin CHF11S CHF 11S Synthetic Hydraulic Fluid
Amount : Not sure
Price: $20-$30 per liter

Supercharger oil
Mobil Jet Oil II
Amount: I think 100cc
Price: $15-$30

I don't know what fluids to use other than OEM for:
Transmission
Differential
Windshield Washer fluid
Brake Fluid

I may have forgotten some fluids, so feel free to add to the list.

Last edited by loudandheard; 05-15-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Fuel injector cleaner
Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner
price: $5-$7
Old 05-18-2010, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS, SLK, ETC
So hard to find Techron in KOrea...
What would be good replacement for Techron?
Old 05-18-2010, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
So hard to find Techron in KOrea...
What would be good replacement for Techron?
Can't you order it online and have it delivered? Or maybe through e-bay or a wholesale distributor

Techron does a very good job and is actually recommended by Mercedes.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:33 AM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
Fluids we need when working on the car!!!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Can't you order it online and have it delivered? Or maybe through e-bay or a wholesale distributor

Techron does a very good job and is actually recommended by Mercedes.
Going to ask my friend to send me few bottles..shipping is problem though.. Oh well.. Anything for my lovely handcrafted engine... lol

Old 05-19-2010, 09:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white

LOL!!! GD 1

Trending Topics

Old 05-19-2010, 05:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
I'm going to have an extra can of Mobil Jet Oil II if anyone needs. It was cheaper to buy two cans of ebay than it was to buy one can from anywhere else. Even if I kept this car for the rest of my life, I don't think I could use up two cans.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Only thing I deviate from MB's "suggestions" with, is the coolant. I run Evan's NPG+ as both engine coolant as well as the low pressure cooling system (the intercooler system).

Stuff is expensive (compared to regular coolant), but DAMN, it works! Cost is around $40 per gallon.

Boiling point of 375 degrees F @ 6psi, no need for SCA's (supplemental coolant additives) over time, and a scheduled change interval of 500,000 miles (no, it's not a typo). Only drawback is, the engine oil starts going south when it reaches ~240F. You may not have engine oil, but damn it, your coolant won't be boiling at 240F.

We've been running this stuff in vehicles for years, from motorcycles to a couple of Semi tractors pulling our trailers loaded with company related goodies. I can't think of any of the company vehicles EVER overheating.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
I'm trying to find the name brand alternatives for the following:
Transmission
Differential
Windshield Washer fluid
Brake Fluid

What do you use or have used?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
There is really nothing that I know of for trans fluid other than OEM. Basically thats the only fluid I care about being OEM. I run Motul motor oil, Motul diff fluid, Motul brake fluid, Redline soap, I mean Water Wetter I've run Elf, Mobil 1, and some others.

The real trick its to know your car... How does your motor react to other oils. For example: My C55 came with Royal Purple in it (Second hand market) so I chanced it out with more RP. only to find my self down a qt. not to long after. That was the last I used that oil.

When I made the switch to Motul (MB spec) I felt as if it protected the the best under racing conditions.. However is smokes quick. Meaning you wont get 5k miles out of it. When Motul is smoked, I will give off a smell that will burn your nose hair. Its very bad smelling.

Mobil 1 0w-40... IMO I at least want a 5w. In fact I wont go less or higher than 5w. 5w is my number.

Richard, Dyno-Comp's owner and race car driver of the Dyno-Comp Cosworth Subaru STI, recently had a discussion with the Engineers at Cosworth about motor oil. They recommended Mobil 1 High Millage.. On new and old motors. That was one I didnt see coming.

Recently a member here "Benz-o-rama" had his oil analyzed my Blackstone Labs. I would recommend searching for that thread in the SL and E AMG sections.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Cool thread
Old 05-23-2010, 06:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
I had that question regarding the Mobil 1 High Mileage formula. Mobil states it has the same trisynth formula and more to protect a higher mileage car.
But, it is not on the MB approval list for AMGs. I could be wrong. And, it costs less. I just picked up yesterday Mobil 1 0W-40 at Walmart for $6.29 each. What's surprising is they're offering Mobil 1 0W-40 oil change service with filter for $55.00 plus cost of .5 quart addition. Anything over 8 quarts is extra!! Our cars need 8.5 quarts.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by 60n5pt1
I had that question regarding the Mobil 1 High Mileage formula. Mobil states it has the same trisynth formula and more to protect a higher mileage car.
But, it is not on the MB approval list for AMGs. I could be wrong. And, it costs less. I just picked up yesterday Mobil 1 0W-40 at Walmart for $6.29 each. What's surprising is they're offering Mobil 1 0W-40 oil change service with filter for $55.00 plus cost of .5 quart addition. Anything over 8 quarts is extra!! Our cars need 8.5 quarts.
Damn, that's a great deal. The oil alone cost that. I would just have them put in 8 quarts and then I would put in the rest if I needed to. I mean, it's pretty difficult to mess up on an oil change on our cars. Bring you're own filter and you are good to go.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:52 PM

C32 AMG
So, if I take my filter into wally world, they will change my oil for $55?
That sounds like a hell of a deal, considering MB dealer charges $137 lol... called em the other day to ask how much, although I wasnt really surprised.

So I need to change my oil tomorrow, I have a Mann fleece filter and crush washers already, will wal mart just change my oil? or do you think they will top off everything I need?
Just wondering, I was just gonna do it myself, but for that price, itd be worth it, esp if they top me off.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-24-2010, 11:59 PM

You spent all that money on a Mercedes and you're skimping on the life blood of the vehicle...

Remember, you get what you pay for. I'm not saying that all Waly World oil change techs are idiots, but... most of them are.

They are either teenagers who use Walmart as a stepping stone, or adults who will be there till the day they retire. The teenagers won't give two rats ***** about your car. The adults... well, I'm not touching that one.

Personally, I wouldn't trust them to top off my windshield washer reservoir... but that's just me. I'd rather pay an extra 30 bucks and change the oil myself.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by papasmurf
So, if I take my filter into wally world, they will change my oil for $55?
That sounds like a hell of a deal, considering MB dealer charges $137 lol... called em the other day to ask how much, although I wasnt really surprised.

So I need to change my oil tomorrow, I have a Mann fleece filter and crush washers already, will wal mart just change my oil? or do you think they will top off everything I need?
Just wondering, I was just gonna do it myself, but for that price, itd be worth it, esp if they top me off.

Thanks in advance!
Originally Posted by Sathinas
You spent all that money on a Mercedes and you're skimping on the life blood of the vehicle...

Remember, you get what you pay for. I'm not saying that all Waly World oil change techs are idiots, but... most of them are.

They are either teenagers who use Walmart as a stepping stone, or adults who will be there till the day they retire. The teenagers won't give two rats ***** about your car. The adults... well, I'm not touching that one.

Personally, I wouldn't trust them to top off my windshield washer reservoir... but that's just me. I'd rather pay an extra 30 bucks and change the oil myself.
I agree with him to an extent. I would do the oil change myself for the first time to understand how to do it and what to look out for. Once you know how it works and you are comfortable enough to let some one else work on your car, I would supervise and make sure every thing is done correctly. That deal is amazing considering the price of oil and labor.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:41 AM

C32 AMG
Yeah, you're right, and I didnt take into consideration they probably arent certified mechanics..
Im not skipping out on doing the change myself because im lazy or scared to do it, ive done a lot of oil changes in my 5 years of driving, I just have a lot of **** I have to do this week and not enough time. (that's the only reason I was interested)

But I guess I can just do the oil change later in the evening in my step dad's barn..

Curious though about this quote though-
"Mobil 1 0w-40... IMO I at least want a 5w. In fact I wont go less or higher than 5w"

Any opinions? I believe the PO of my car ran 0w40 and I didnt notice any flaws during the 2500 mile cross country..
Old 05-25-2010, 12:45 AM

Don't take this the wrong way, but what makes you think you have more experience than MB engineers when it comes to what oil viscosity your car needs?
Old 05-25-2010, 01:06 AM

C32 AMG
I never said I knew anything (assuming youre talking to me?). I was just asking if anyone had opinions on what the other gentleman had said because dont some people use different oils pending the type of climate they live in, or season?

Obviously, im no lubrication pro... which is why im curious.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:12 AM

Here's a little primer for you:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...uestion164.htm

First google result, but it will give you a decent idea of why 0w-40 is better in cold(er) climates than say, 5 or 10w - 40.

Enjoy.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:42 AM

C32 AMG
Didnt ask for that, but thanks.. really
Old 05-25-2010, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by papasmurf
Didnt ask for that, but thanks.. really
mobil 1 0w40 is what every one uses and I would stick to that. Don't worry about what every one says. I've always used 5w30, but that was in my previous cars, but I never used any thing else beside 0w40 on the c32 and I have not had any problems.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:00 PM

C32 AMG
Word, doing the oil change today.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
I specifically asked (WalMart Service) if at $55.00 what type oil they would use and was told Mobil 1 0W-40 Full Synthetic European formula (which I know they have). I said my car uses 8 quarts and he corrected me, stating for my car, it uses 8.5 quarts and that he would have to charge the half quart. This service
mechanic told me this as I pointed where my car is and knew exactly what the C32 needed. This 'kid' could not have been more than 23 years old.
I asked if I could provide my own oil filter (Fleece) and he said they would credit that, too. I asked if I brought my own oil, too and said they would charge
$20.00 to the oil change. Very typical all over this valley.

0W or 5W? It don't matter. What matters is 40 viscousity. It's never below 30 degrees F in the valley anyway unless your location experiences way below freezing temperatures tyically in the morning or even all day.

I live in the Bay Area Silicon Valley (Google, HP, Intel, Ebay, Yahoo, etc.) where Porsches, Maseratis, Ferraris, Lambos, Bentleys and AMGs are a common sight 'round here in the 'valley'. Even the local Walmart acknowledges that and provide a certain level of service for nondiscriminating folks 'round here. They can also give a better price.
Side note: This Walmart has been around this 'valley' over 20 years.

So no, you're not skimping on your car, you're just being a smart buyer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Official Fluid Thread