C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

still won't start...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML
still won't start...

I figure i'd start another thread. I put a charger on it and let it charge for a while.

It turns over just fine, but it just keeps cranking and never fires. It'll get pretty close, but won't start. Just cranks and cranks, tries to start.. but doesn't quite do it. Seems like its getting plenty of power, so i don't think thats the issue anymore.

I checked all the connections and everything seems to be plugged in and ready to go.

I changed the waterpump, radiator and put on the PSK.

I still haven't put the upper support back in, or connected the horns or hood sensor. I wouldn't think that would make any difference, just wanted to get it started to make sure everything was okay before i did that.

It reads 1 malfunction, which is coolant level check.

Any ideas as to whats keeping it from firing? s

Can ran fine 2 months ago.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:56 PM

Volvo
I havn't read the other thread, so i don't know if this was asked already, Have you checked the Crankshaft Sensor..... These go bad on our cars and can prevent the car from starting.... Simple Sensor and fix DIY located on the forums. If you replaced that check these 3 Things you need to start any car.... Air, fuel and Spark... I would check the spark plugs next see if they are sparking... (Pull them out have them connect to the Coil, Have some one watch to see if they are sparking. Check the fuel pump and fuel system, is the system priming? check the airfilters.... and hoses are they clogged with something?
Old 05-27-2010, 03:16 PM

ML
I haven't check the Crank sensor. I know it was replaced (have receipt) and i would think it would still start if the engine is cold. I may check it anyways if i can find it. I'll search but just in case, where amongst is it?

All the hoses i've taken off are clear of everything.

I haven't checked for spark and REALLY don't feel like it at this point, but if it comes down to it i will.

Like i said it ran fine months ago, i don't see why it wouldn't be getting spark or fuel now from just sitting. but who knows. I'll keep looking and double checking everything i took apart and see if anything obvious shows up.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:37 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yep sounds Like CPS.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by spr
Yep sounds Like CPS.
Or, fuel pump.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:21 AM

ML
Just to update since i'm off work..

i charged the battery more, since the lights are a bit dim when trying to start. It cranked a few times and started.. ran for 5 seconds (like ****) and turned back off. I will be checking all the fuses and see if i didn't blow a fuse on anything.. such as the fuel pump.

Just one question for the people that say CPS..

Wouldn't it start if it was cold? I know where you coming from with the CPS.. but i would think the intial start when the engine is cold would be fine.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Chekc ur map sensor?
Old 05-28-2010, 02:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
I had the exact same symptoms. It ended up being the fuel pumps and also a burned up rear sam. I'm not sure if one destroyed the other, but they both had to be changed. The tech even gave me to bad parts because he sensed I didn't believe him.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:10 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
if your interior dome light dims then obviously the battery doesn't have enough power to start the car. it may crank, but not enough to start the car. If I remember correctly you need 12.4v at least to start the car. anything less it won't be enough.

if the car started and then dies...it may be your alternator is dead. battery has enough power to start the car, but alternator doesn't charge and then battery runs out and cuts off the engine.

OR CPS

Last edited by FrankW; 05-30-2010 at 09:14 AM.