C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

speakers problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 300e, 2005 c55 amg
speakers problem

So last week I was getting a car wash and as i was pulling out my speakers started crackling and my music started getting louder so I turned off the comand system.

A moment later I turned it back on and no music was playing. The cd was spinning and my ipod can still cycle through the playlist but nothing comes out the speakers. My navigation also still works but their is no voice command coming out the speakers. Also the sound button where you choose if you want surround sound or standard or speech is gone in all the menus.

I have done some searching and I do realize our comand systems go crazy at times but this has been a full week and still no volume from the speakers.

I checked the fuse and went to the dealership and replaced the sound fuse but i still have no volume. I have no idea what to check now. I think I may have gotten my amp wet but I hope not because that would be a lot of money to replace.

Any ideas would be helpful!
Old 07-06-2010, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by duke444
So last week I was getting a car wash and as i was pulling out my speakers started crackling and my music started getting louder so I turned off the comand system.

A moment later I turned it back on and no music was playing. The cd was spinning and my ipod can still cycle through the playlist but nothing comes out the speakers. My navigation also still works but their is no voice command coming out the speakers. Also the sound button where you choose if you want surround sound or standard or speech is gone in all the menus.

I have done some searching and I do realize our comand systems go crazy at times but this has been a full week and still no volume from the speakers.

I checked the fuse and went to the dealership and replaced the sound fuse but i still have no volume. I have no idea what to check now. I think I may have gotten my amp wet but I hope not because that would be a lot of money to replace.

Any ideas would be helpful!
You need to see if the amp is putting out. It should be in the trunk on the passenger side behind the carpeting. That's where it is in the C32, but not sure about the C55. You could try using signal tester or see if you can hook up a speaker to the outputs. It should be a simple fix. It may be a good idea to give it a visual inspection to see if water is getting in.

I have a few more ideas and I'll see if I can get you some pics.

I changed out all the audio components on the car, but all the amps and sub were stolen yesterday, so I should be getting back in there to put some thing new in.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:12 PM

1988 300e, 2005 c55 amg
wow that sucks your stuff was stolen. but thanks for all the advice. I am not to good with sound systems and electronic stuff so I am learning a lot right now.

If I need a new amp could i just buy an aftermarket one? or do I need an exact replacement. I have the harmon kardon system so an exact replacement amp is sounding expensive.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
wow that sucks your stuff was stolen. but thanks for all the advice. I am not to good with sound systems and electronic stuff so I am learning a lot right now.

If I need a new amp could i just buy an aftermarket one? or do I need an exact replacement. I have the harmon kardon system so an exact replacement amp is sounding expensive.
Yeah, tell me about it. It's my fault though, I don't lock my car because my alarm randomly comes on and drains my battery and it was in front of my house. I still have a four channel amp and extra sub that I never used, but it sucks that I have to do every thing over again.

You have a few options, you could always go stock or aftermarket. I think a majority of our speakers run in 4 ohms or 2 ohms, I would need to check the speakers I took out of my car. You could stick with factory speakers and just upgrade the amp. The speakers are actually not bad at all and will sound much better with an aftermarket amp.

You could use a high low converter to give you a signal you could use for an aftermarket amp. Take a look at this thread to give you a basic idea.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ole-c32-2.html
Old 07-07-2010, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Here are a couple of pics of the area where the amp was and a few pics of my setup.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:22 PM

1988 300e, 2005 c55 amg
so I need a new amp and the dealership just gave me an estimate for the amp at $1550.00. So I am really trying to look for a used one or I might just have to take the time to rewire the car and put in an aftermarket amp.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
so I need a new amp and the dealership just gave me an estimate for the amp at $1550.00. So I am really trying to look for a used one or I might just have to take the time to rewire the car and put in an aftermarket amp.
I used the same wires for my speakers and it's worked great so far, besides the most recent incident.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:37 PM

C32 AMG
Ive been having the same problem with a leak in my trunk. I think my amp finally went out, because my head unit works and all that, but it says "no cd changer", and I cant get any volume either.
But I did see that the inside of my trunk was soaked after the rain hit.

If you find anything as far as amps go for a decent price, let me know if you remember.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by papasmurf
Ive been having the same problem with a leak in my trunk. I think my amp finally went out, because my head unit works and all that, but it says "no cd changer", and I cant get any volume either.

If you find anything as far as amps go for a decent price, let me know if you remember.

Good luck!
I had this same problem after Mercedes programed my rear SAM unit. They ended up fixing it by fooling around in STAR with present settings. I think the service rep said they had had to make my voice activation not present. Not exactly sure. Either way though, it was the amp or anything.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
I don't understand how you are having leaks in your trunk. I would try to see if you have some sort of build up causing water to spill in the trunk and you may be missing some weather stripping. You need to find out where the leak is coming from, there are a lot important components in the trunk.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:35 AM

1988 300e, 2005 c55 amg
I was so pissed when my advisor told me the problem was from a leak. How does a 6 years old Mercedes leak?? Does anyone know if their is any loophole or warranty to help me out with this?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:24 AM

1988 300e, 2005 c55 amg
anyone know if this amp would work in a c55?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rover-HARMAN-KAR...-/170475357248
Old 07-13-2010, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
anyone know if this amp would work in a c55?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rover-HARMAN-KAR...-/170475357248
It may work if it uses the same fiber optics connection, but I would go with a good aftermarket amp. You could use an aftermarket 5 channel amp to power all your speakers or buy two amps for the price you would pay for one that may not work.

This was the amount of speakers that I counted.
Center channel speaker in the dash
6.5" midbass and tweeter in both front doors
6.5" point source speaker, midbass with integrated tweeter in both rear doors
sub in the rear.

I think they considered it a 10 speaker system and each tweeter was considered it's own speaker even the ones integrated on the rear speakers.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:59 AM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by loudandheard
I don't understand how you are having leaks in your trunk. I would try to see if you have some sort of build up causing water to spill in the trunk and you may be missing some weather stripping. You need to find out where the leak is coming from, there are a lot important components in the trunk.

I dont understand either.. but every time I wash my car or it rains, my stereo shorts out. And now it doesnt work at all... and I recently just finally opened the trunk after a storm and found the compartments on each side in the trunk were soaking wet. So I pulled the carpeting back to look at the amp and stuff and it was all wet.

I just got the car, so I am not sure if any weather stripping was removed from the trunk or not?
But there is a leak, and I DO need to replace the amp I think.. lol
Old 07-15-2010, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
I'll see if I can take pics of my trunk lining so hat you can see if what it should look like. What you should do in the mean time is see if you have a build up of leaves or dirt in the channels around the trunk. You could always run a test to see where the leak is.

Usually electronics will work fine if you let it dry all the way. All you would need to do is check for corrosion, other than that the amp should be ok.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:17 PM

C32 AMG
Yeah. ill take the amp out and test it and see if I can get everything working again.
I was just under the impression that once an amp got wet, or cell phone.. etc.
If it was turned on while wet, it would ruin it??

Not really an electronic guru.. But id love to not have to buy a new amp lol
Old 07-15-2010, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by papasmurf

Good luck!
I had this same problem and MB replaced my water damaged SAM and the ineffective rubber trunk seal that let the water in in the first place. So, either your drain holes are clogged with leaves and the like or your trunk seal is bad and you will need a new rubber seal.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:54 PM

03 cobra
Originally Posted by loudandheard
Yeah, tell me about it. It's my fault though, I don't lock my car because my alarm randomly comes on and drains my battery and it was in front of my house. I still have a four channel amp and extra sub that I never used, but it sucks that I have to do every thing over again.

You have a few options, you could always go stock or aftermarket. I think a majority of our speakers run in 4 ohms or 2 ohms, I would need to check the speakers I took out of my car. You could stick with factory speakers and just upgrade the amp. The speakers are actually not bad at all and will sound much better with an aftermarket amp.

You could use a high low converter to give you a signal you could use for an aftermarket amp. Take a look at this thread to give you a basic idea.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ole-c32-2.html
Read this thread and searched for a few others. Have had the same issue on the trunk leaking and the amp going out as a result. It seems as though this is the best alternative. My comand still functions and i do not need to gut the entire audio system. Are there any other options on running the stock comand to an aftermarket amp?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by dirty k
Read this thread and searched for a few others. Have had the same issue on the trunk leaking and the amp going out as a result. It seems as though this is the best alternative. My comand still functions and i do not need to gut the entire audio system. Are there any other options on running the stock comand to an aftermarket amp?
you can PM me if you want, i have options for you.