Rant + Crappy Teaser

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:25 PM
pww

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'05 C55 AMG
Rant + Crappy Teaser

So I left my baby in the garage in mid-August as I left for college, after paying a hefty repair bill for a valve cover gasket and rear main engine seal repair. Ok, I knew it would need that repair, and got that price cut out of the price of the car when I bought it in July. Not fun not having the car for a week, but I will live.

So I buy a set of used Weds Kranze ERM's to refinish and throw on the car. I take them to a shop I've used before locally to repaint the wheels, and they tell me ok they will be done in a week. (this is early August) A month later, when I'm off at college already, they finally call that the wheels are done. Fine. I have my dad pick them up for me, and having ordered my spacers already, the wheels should be all ready to go on the car. I get to visit home for a weekend this past weekend, and low and behold, the f***ers at the shop I took the wheels to managed to mount two of the faces to the wrong barrels/lips...

I noticed after mounting the rears onto the car, and finding that one seemed to stick out much more than the other. Well, this is a serious problem because now one of the fronts doesn't clear the brakes. Great. I decided to take it for a spin just for a sec with the new wheels on the rears since they have good tires, but as I'm backing out I notice a strange knocking noise. ****, must be the different offset wheels? after rebolting up the rears, the noise stayed so I decided ok, I'll take the wheels back, and they better fix this for free since I payed a good amount to have these redone, and it took them a damn month. Fine, I'll just enjoy the car this weekend with the old wheels.

So I put the old wheels back on, and back the car out again, but low and behold, the knocking noise is back. So I don't get to enjoy the car this weekend, and the car will be going back to the dealership to find out whats wrong, which means the money I get from the old wheels will go to the repair now, instead of coilovers

anyway, good news is it looked amazing with the wheels on. Once I lower it, I'll order new lips for the fronts and rears to space them out

Coilovers will be coming this summer. Picture is **** too, I'll do a photoshoot when I go back in mid october when everything is on

Last edited by pww; 09-21-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Are you using the stock lug bolts with the stock wheels? If they are too long you will get bad noises from the rear.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:39 PM
pww

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
Are you using the stock lug bolts with the stock wheels? If they are too long you will get bad noises from the rear.
I started a thread asking about the problem and ruled out the lugs because the noise continued with the old wheels and stock lugs. I'm fairly certain its coming from the axle
Old 09-22-2010, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
Unless using the stock lugs damaged the parking brake I believe is what I heard at some point? Someone damaged something and had the same issue... You need to fix it, and get the correct size lugs, or I could be completely wrong.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:37 AM
pww

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by gt4awd
Unless using the stock lugs damaged the parking brake I believe is what I heard at some point? Someone damaged something and had the same issue... You need to fix it, and get the correct size lugs, or I could be completely wrong.
I'm confused. Using stock lugs broke my parking brake?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't think it was the parking brake, but they bent something, and it caused the sound you have...
Old 09-22-2010, 01:48 AM
pww

'05 C55 AMG
How would my stock lugs have caused that? I'm actually praying its something Mercedes did last time I took it to them, so they will cover it...
Old 09-22-2010, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
Drive it around, it will go away..
Old 09-22-2010, 03:41 AM
pww

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by saer1one
Drive it around, it will go away..

I'm the polar opposite actually, the second I think something is wrong with my car I get super worried and leave it in the garage until I know whats wrong
Old 09-22-2010, 10:36 AM

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 GLS 550
I believe what GT4 was saying is that the stock lugs with the aftermarket wheels are many times too long and could have damaged (bent) a part in the parking brake setup, and when you put the stock wheels back on that part was still damaged so it was still hitting whatever it was hitting.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good job figuring out my apparently encoded messages "thtguy"...