C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

DIY: Intercooler Separation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
DIY: Intercooler Separation

Hope this helps everyone do this mod. I noticed Drop in Temps after doing this mod.

What you Need.

Hose clamps. 2 sizes 2x3/8 and 2x3/4

Shark Bite Brass Plugs 2x3/8 and 2x3/4 (Found At HOME DEPOT)

Flat Head Screw Driver

Clamps (something to stop the flow of water)

Razer Blade

Zerex G-05 Rad fluid, OR MB radiator fluid. (only a little needed if at all)

1.Start by Clamping both sides of the hose located in RED

2. Cut in the middle of the clamps and quickly attach the two 3/4 plugs, then attach the Hose Clamps on both sides of the hose. (I COULD NOT FIND 2 3/4" PLUGS SO I USED A RUBBER PLUG)

3. Now do the exact same for this hose with your 3/8 and your DONE.

Now your IC and Radiator are both separated make sure you top off what you lost during the cutting.

Last edited by doom239; 09-22-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
So, how do you add or drain fluid in your intercooling system? I guess to add you just unplug the line leading down, and use a funnel to fill. Drain by pulling the bottom line to heat exchanger? I decided cut off valves would be better than plugging the lines. That way I can easily open, and close the system. Found the larger one at Home Depot, and the small cut off valve at a local plumbing shop. I would also recommend draining all fluid once it's bypassed, and instead of anti-freeze use water wetter by redline mix with distilled water for the I/C system. Something I still need to do since installing my DIY bypass...
Old 09-23-2010, 12:02 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by gt4awd
So, how do you add or drain fluid in your intercooling system? I guess to add you just unplug the line leading down, and use a funnel to fill. Drain by pulling the bottom line to heat exchanger? I decided cut off valves would be better than plugging the lines. That way I can easily open, and close the system. Found the larger one at Home Depot, and the small cut off valve at a local plumbing shop.
Yes I decided to go with cut off valves at first but could not find any at any stores(lowes home depot, Orchard, Napa, Kregean, Autozone). I am looking online for some today. I like the ones Needswings has but its pretty pricey for just cut off valves.

over all I made this to be a basic DIY on how to do it. When I find better cut off valves I will update the post.

P.S I was Draining my complete system when I was doing this so it made everything much easier
Old 09-23-2010, 12:05 AM

2002 C32 AMG
I would also recommend draining all fluid once it's bypassed, and instead of anti-freeze use water wetter by redline mix with distilled water for the I/C system. Something I still need to do since installing my DIY bypass...
I am going to go this route when I install my new HE.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:27 AM

2002 C32 AMG
I found this but they dont make a 3/4"
http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Watt...e-u898117.html
Old 09-23-2010, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Actually the needswings valves are priced just right. I ended up paying only slightly less finding valves myself. Around $40 dollars... You should be able to source both at home depot but the smaller valve will need an adapter to decrease diameter even more.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Actually the needswings valves are priced just right. I ended up paying only slightly less finding valves myself. Around $40 dollars... You should be able to source both at home depot but the smaller valve will need an adapter to decrease diameter even more.
I did mine using the Needswings kit which is "very nice" and it took all of less than 5 minutes!!! I ran through 2 heat cycles before turning off the valves!! Nice thing is, with the valves, if I ever want to do a complete system flush, I can just turn em right back ON again.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
I did mine using the Needswings kit which is "very nice" and it took all of less than 5 minutes!!! I ran through 2 heat cycles before turning off the valves!! Nice thing is, with the valves, if I ever want to do a complete system flush, I can just turn em right back ON again.
Here's the install photos....with the petcocks open at that time, they are now closed after 2 heat cycles although Needswings recommends only one................

The only tools I needed were a razor blade to cut the bigger tube that comes off the reservoir and a pair of vice grips to clamp. Only one cut was needed for the larger tube and the smaller one near the radiator was unclamp and reclamp with the Needswings kit.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Intercooler Separation-c32-glenns-ic-bypass.jpg   DIY: Intercooler Separation-c32-glenns-pass-2.jpg  

Last edited by Newzchspy; 09-30-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The valves I got are metallic with red handle and stand out a lot more. Doesn't bother me though. Looks good. How's that intake?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:31 PM

CLK55 AMG
did this last night, i do notice a slight change in temps, it will rise as you drive the car harder, but they go back down in a minute or two, great DIY mod, thanks
Old 09-30-2010, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
The valves I got are metallic with red handle and stand out a lot more. Doesn't bother me though. Looks good. How's that intake?

It seems to work. I don't have any empirical evidence. LET made it about 2 years ago and its worked for me. I don't have any empirical CFMs for it, BUT am still of the opinion that you can only intake/shove so much air into the engine anyway and that we are probably at the limit with the intakes we have, due to SC, valve and throttle body limitations.

Last edited by Newzchspy; 09-30-2010 at 02:30 PM.