C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Is the bigger intake really necessary for the c32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Is the bigger intake really necessary for the c32

So im wondering, does the sl55 intake kit really make a big difference in the c32s as far as performance. I cant see it doing much as much performance wise. Not only that, but i hear that people who have dynoed their car after they installed the intake, had LESS low end power on their car, but i think they also said it increased top end power slightly thought, so it evens out. I dont have the sl55 kit on my c32 yet, i just got KN drop ins. and before i install the pulley kit and tune, i just wanted to hear some opinions on this matter. So right now im just debating if i should get the pulleys installed and tuned with stock intake, just KN filters, or if i should get the sl55 intake first.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
clk500
i would do cold air people c better # with them
Old 10-24-2010, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
think of it this way more air more power. now... heres the latest flow chart # from needswings. the srt-6 has the exact same intake you have on your c32. the numbers from the oem box to the sl55 intakes are huge. then to the dual cai is massive from stock. this will help make more power

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...ch-tested.html

Last edited by 320 dreamer; 10-24-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:30 PM

C32 AMG
I understand where youre coming from 320dreamer. I just think that the sl55 may be a litttle TOO big for the our C32s considering its for a v8, not v6. Just dont see why the low end power loss though after installing the bigger intake.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Jordan7589
I understand where youre coming from 320dreamer. I just think that the sl55 may be a litttle TOO big for the our C32s considering its for a v8, not v6. Just dont see why the low end power loss though after installing the bigger intake.
actually....it's not enough....which is why there are significant gains with the needswings single AND dual intake over the SL55 setup.

and regarding V6 vs V8, this a supercharged V6, so it actually requires MORE air than a regular V6....can't compare a F/I 6 to a N/A 8
Old 10-24-2010, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i would upgrade, it provides a noticable amount of upper end power compared to stock or even a code3 setup. We have enough low end tq already, i think some times we have too much low end tq.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:17 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
I remember when we were dyno tuning my car I wasn't getting great numbers, so for shizts they put a 3" open tube off my intake (no air boxes or anything, so no restictions at all). I gained 25+ horse with it wide open...that was vs. a stock air intake setup.

I have the intake from an E55 now (basically same as SL55) with K&Ns...I did gain 9 rwhp or so from it peak, never really checked arcoss other areas of the band.

That said I'm still banging my head to add more air flow somehow. Right now I have it in my head to maybe open up the ram air ducts in front of car so the ports are larger to pull in more air into 3.5-4in tubes to my E55 air boxes. I'm thinking I could mock something up with fiberglass up front into the larger tubes (which I beleive now are 3")...hell I dont know
Old 10-24-2010, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by testknight
I remember when we were dyno tuning my car I wasn't getting great numbers, so for shizts they put a 3" open tube off my intake (no air boxes or anything, so no restictions at all). I gained 25+ horse with it wide open...that was vs. a stock air intake setup.

I have the intake from an E55 now (basically same as SL55) with K&Ns...I did gain 9 rwhp or so from it peak, never really checked arcoss other areas of the band.

That said I'm still banging my head to add more air flow somehow. Right now I have it in my head to maybe open up the ram air ducts in front of car so the ports are larger to pull in more air into 3.5-4in tubes to my E55 air boxes. I'm thinking I could mock something up with fiberglass up front into the larger tubes (which I beleive now are 3")...hell I dont know
the issue you have with the e55 boxes is the drastic change of direction thru the filters. this causes a large amount of turbulance in the flow and slows down the air. if you look at the needswings setup it flows from the filters in front in a gentle curve all the way to the throttle body. this allows the a larger amount of air to reach the t/b without disturbance. i know the setup wont work with your front engine area but maybe a canister filter just behind the rad and the same curves to the throttle body with a 55 splitter can bring up the airflow #
Old 10-26-2010, 01:13 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by jturkel
actually....it's not enough....which is why there are significant gains with the needswings single AND dual intake over the SL55 setup.

and regarding V6 vs V8, this a supercharged V6, so it actually requires MORE air than a regular V6....can't compare a F/I 6 to a N/A 8
Yeah i noticed that power difference too. I just dont see the SL55 intake as an upgrade. I guess im just used to seeing the aftermarket cone or cylinder looking filters as an actual performance part, but with our cars its hard to fit them into our engine bay without letting it use the hot air coming from the motor. Oh and i thought the SL55 was a v8 supercharged motor lol

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
i would upgrade, it provides a noticable amount of upper end power compared to stock or even a code3 setup. We have enough low end tq already, i think some times we have too much low end tq.
I love the low end torque on our cars but it seems like the sl55 intake does improve on top end and takes off a little low end, which i can deal with. It did perform better on the 1/4 mile. Did you buy the sl55 intake kit or you just bought the parts (y splitter, air boxes and hoses)? i was going to buy the parts from parts.com for $320 plus shipping, and was wondering if i needed to get the air filters as well, i have the KN dropins for our stock setup. do i need to get the bigger ones for the sl55 setup? and also will the bigger hoses fit into the back of the ram air inlets in the front of our cars?

Originally Posted by testknight

When you get it all figured out, let me know bro. I just know theres got to be something better than the sl55 for the c32s, but for now, the sl55 is gonna have to do.

Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
the issue you have with the e55 boxes is the drastic change of direction thru the filters. this causes a large amount of turbulance in the flow and slows down the air. if you look at the needswings setup it flows from the filters in front in a gentle curve all the way to the throttle body. this allows the a larger amount of air to reach the t/b without disturbance. i know the setup wont work with your front engine area but maybe a canister filter just behind the rad and the same curves to the throttle body with a 55 splitter can bring up the airflow #
I know a few people have done their own custom intakes, someone had a y splitter right into 2 cone filters, but the problem was the hot air that it was sucking up, so that was the main problem.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

clk500
http://www.needswings.com/NeedsWings...-srt6dcai.aspx

if u can make it fit
Old 10-26-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
I plan on trying to fit the needswings intake with BMC filters somewhere down the line.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by buffyclk500
Anyone contact Needswings to see if it fits the C32?? The workmanship is gorgeous!!
Old 10-26-2010, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Anyone contact Needswings to see if it fits the C32?? The workmanship is gorgeous!!
Nope, it won't...
Old 10-26-2010, 04:14 PM

C32 AMG
The needswings dual intake definitely wont fit. theres no room for those filters to fit under the hood.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Oh and i thought the SL55 was a v8 supercharged motor lol
It is, your thinking was correct. I'm not sure what jturkel meant when he said N/A V8.

In any event, the SL55 intake is supposed to be a nice upgrade from the stock C32 intake, and keeps a somewhat stockish appearance in the engine bay. Further gains can be had by going to a tube-style intake, if it's designed/engineered and implemented well.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Yeah i noticed that power difference too. I just dont see the SL55 intake as an upgrade. I guess im just used to seeing the aftermarket cone or cylinder looking filters as an actual performance part, but with our cars its hard to fit them into our engine bay without letting it use the hot air coming from the motor. Oh and i thought the SL55 was a v8 supercharged motor lol
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
It is, your thinking was correct. I'm not sure what jturkel meant when he said N/A V8.

In any event, the SL55 intake is supposed to be a nice upgrade from the stock C32 intake, and keeps a somewhat stockish appearance in the engine bay. Further gains can be had by going to a tube-style intake, if it's designed/engineered and implemented well.
yah....i was actually just referring to general thought of a V8 (not just the SL55, which yes, i know is the M113k supercharged V8)....i was going along the lines of most people thing that just b.c it is a V6 (regardless of being supercarhged) it does not need as big/high flowing an intake as any V8 (supercharged or not).

and yah, it is interesting that you would put the intake from a 55 onto the 32, but IIRC, the 55 also has the same injectors and TB (especially IIRC on that last one, i really don't recollect for sure....if it isn't the same, it is within 2 mm)
Old 10-26-2010, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

clk500
The needswings dual intake definitely wont fit. theres no room for those filters to fit under the hood.

if the filters dont fit k and n can make custom filters
Old 10-26-2010, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by buffyclk500
if the filters dont fit k and n can make custom filters
My thought is to cut em before they go into the front end, sorta like Jerry did with his units from LET about 2.5 years ago that I have.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
My thought is to cut em before they go into the front end, sorta like Jerry did with his units from LET about 2.5 years ago that I have.
Do you think by cutting them we may loose some of the numbers this intake should really add..? Since the inlets wont be directly in the front anymore..
Old 10-26-2010, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

clk500
the set up works on slk
Old 10-26-2010, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
it's more than the filters that are the problem

there is no clearance by the firewall to allow a 3" (IIRC) pipe to attach to the TB. you'd have to cut a bit back there for fitment.

our radiator supports are not the same. the srt6 guys have/can make larger inlets by messing around in there allowing for greater flow

they just have an overall larger engine bay which makes things easier....as seen with being able to have a much larger heat exchanger and the larger intake manis......

... i've spoken with rob about this a yr or so ago and he was trying for a while to make a better intake for the c32......he was testing but either he isn't done or decided not to sell it. i don't know the specifics, but i do know that rob won't sell a product if he can't back it up with top notch performance.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:03 PM

02 C32 AMG, 06 C230 Sport (Gone)
maybe he would try again if he knew there was interest being generated? I would love if they made one specific to the C32
Old 10-26-2010, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
i have a set of the tvt tubes and a 55 splitter if anyone is looking to make a custom setup. was going to use it on my 32 but got a sweet deal on a needswings dual cai and its the highest flowing setup out there so i grabbed it. 150$ if anybody wants the other stuff
Old 10-26-2010, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold

I love the low end torque on our cars but it seems like the sl55 intake does improve on top end and takes off a little low end, which i can deal with. It did perform better on the 1/4 mile. Did you buy the sl55 intake kit or you just bought the parts (y splitter, air boxes and hoses)? i was going to buy the parts from parts.com for $320 plus shipping, and was wondering if i needed to get the air filters as well, i have the KN dropins for our stock setup. do i need to get the bigger ones for the sl55 setup? and also will the bigger hoses fit into the back of the ram air inlets in the front of our cars?

When you get it all figured out, let me know bro. I just know theres got to be something better than the sl55 for the c32s, but for now, the sl55 is gonna have to do.

I know a few people have done their own custom intakes, someone had a y splitter right into 2 cone filters, but the problem was the hot air that it was sucking up, so that was the main problem.
i bought my sl55 intake from parts.com as well. It came with filters. I will probably eventually get the K & N's but not at the moment.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
THIS is what I wish I could really have!!
320 Dreamer...you should hop on these!

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/private-parts-accessories/45973-needswings-manis-sale-silver.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the bigger intake really necessary for the c32