C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

My used C32 dilemma... now leaking coolant internally

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32
My used C32 dilemma... now leaking coolant internally

Pics to come of my leak, but so far I've had issues with getting it aligned, the NOS and water meth kit that was installed and ready was not ready... the hose was duct taped and crammed under the firewall.
The 185 pulley is actually a 181 pulley.
The pics underneath the hood, especially of the "custom" airbox is different than what I received.
The VRP 55 throttle body appears to be an OEM throttle body.
No clue if the tune is good because of the above, so will get a retune depending on what else is wrong with the car.
Hopefully everything else that was advertised on the car is true.. especially the new s/c and i/c.

Needless to say, I do have some people to thank when this is all said and done with.

And as always, have someone check out the car before you buy.. I did not.

Last edited by dfwboiler; 12-29-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:27 AM

2003 C32
I also seem to be missing the Code 3 Performance i/c reservoir.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by dfwboiler
I also seem to be missing the Code 3 Performance i/c reservoir.
can you send some photos?? Close-Ups??
Old 12-29-2010, 12:33 PM

2003 C32
The reservoir circled is not there.
And all that metal by the with the custom intake... It doesn't look like that either. The intake is there, but the metal was cut and has very jagged edges that were covered by rubber.
Attached Thumbnails My used C32 dilemma... now leaking coolant internally-coolantleak.jpg   My used C32 dilemma... now leaking coolant internally-coolantleak2.jpg   My used C32 dilemma... now leaking coolant internally-coolantleak3.jpg   My used C32 dilemma... now leaking coolant internally-reservoir.jpg  
Old 12-29-2010, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Who sold you this car?
Old 12-29-2010, 12:47 PM

2003 C32
Originally Posted by moosejaw
Who sold you this car?
https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...-renntech.html

And one more pic of the coolant leak.
And I've also been breaking lug bolts on the rear passenger side, which was a known issue not told to me. (Would've found it had a I done a search on this site I guess).
Anyway, after emailing RennTech, it's probably because the lug bolts were over torqued.
Attached Thumbnails My used C32 dilemma... now leaking coolant internally-coolantleak4.jpg  
Old 12-29-2010, 01:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...-renntech.html

And one more pic of the coolant leak.
And I've also been breaking lug bolts on the rear passenger side, which was a known issue not told to me. (Would've found it had a I done a search on this site I guess).
Anyway, after emailing RennTech, it's probably because the lug bolts were over torqued.
wow, what a scumbag.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:07 PM

2003 C32
Originally Posted by Dingleberry
wow, what a scumbag.
To be fair, he did think he had the lug bolt issue fixed.
It probably would've been if whoever installed the lug bolts torqued them correctly.
Of course I'm assuming I don't have any broken ones right now after I had them torqued correctly. Plus Santa brought me my own torque wrench this year so I can check them all year round.

Now all the other stuff as far as what's supposed to be on the car and installed that isn't...

I wish I could find out when the coolant leak started.

Last edited by dfwboiler; 12-29-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
It probably would've been if whoever installed the lug bolts torqued them correctly.
Of course I'm assuming I don't have any broken ones right now after I had them torqued correctly. Plus Santa brought me my own torque wrench this year so I can check them all year round.

Now all the other stuff as far as what's supposed to be on the car and installed that isn't...

i bet he knew about all the problems, that's probably why he wanted to get rid of it
Old 12-29-2010, 03:25 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Yikes....

If you need any help let me know. I know the platform in and out.

Leaking IC is not a fun one. Need to take the sc off and replace the sc intercooler. Its a known issue with the C32's. DIY is actually pretty simple, just time consuming.

If you want a tune let me know as well. We can do it remotely and inexpensively to make sure she is at least runnign correctly there.

Don't run NOS or Meth until your sure she is tuned properly for it.

Renntech lugs breaking are common with the monolights.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Originally Posted by moosejaw
Who sold you this car?
Wow I'm really surprised
I wouldnt think of that guy who sold you this car
He even has the scripture quoted in his sig?????

I remember he had major issues with Code 3 and spent a lot of time and money trying to sort his car out.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:02 PM

2003 C32
Originally Posted by loungn14
Yikes....

If you need any help let me know. I know the platform in and out.

Leaking IC is not a fun one. Need to take the sc off and replace the sc intercooler. Its a known issue with the C32's. DIY is actually pretty simple, just time consuming.

If you want a tune let me know as well. We can do it remotely and inexpensively to make sure she is at least runnign correctly there.

Don't run NOS or Meth until your sure she is tuned properly for it.

Renntech lugs breaking are common with the monolights.
Thanks for the offer!

I'm getting help with the tune... Needless to say, Jerry from Eurocharged is the man.
I'm not hooking up the NOS or meth.

I am somewhat remotely mechanically inclined, but with the other work that needs to be done, I'm letting Autoscope in Dallas handle it. For what I've already put in the car, I want this done right and not have to worry about it.

Getting an alignment with castor bolts (car pulled to the right since I got it)
transmission plug replaced (apparently common issue)
new intercooler
tune
airbox installed (need to go find an OEM one)

I/C was installed at approx. 67k, and it's now at about 87k. It seems to me the I/C should last longer. Although I did have super charger cutting out problems because of a coolant hose issue that happened after I rec'd the car.

I'll update with a couple more pics later.
Now I just need to decide whether to cut my losses and just sell when it's fixed, or chance it and hope it'll run fine for a few years without major issue.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:09 PM

2003 C32
Couple more pics...
The headers pic is a bit too dark to really see it.
Trans leak is, well, a trans leak. Fix is to replace some transmission plug.
The meth/nos hookups were duct taped and stuffed behind the firewall.

meth/nos not hooked up now, but they're in a safer place.
Thankfully, I never tried to spray.
Attached Thumbnails My used C32 dilemma... now leaking coolant internally-transleak.jpg   My used C32 dilemma... now leaking coolant internally-headers.jpg   My used C32 dilemma... now leaking coolant internally-methnos.jpg  
Old 12-29-2010, 05:09 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Thanks for the offer!

I'm getting help with the tune... Needless to say, Jerry from Eurocharged is the man.
I'm not hooking up the NOS or meth.

I am somewhat remotely mechanically inclined, but with the other work that needs to be done, I'm letting Autoscope in Dallas handle it. For what I've already put in the car, I want this done right and not have to worry about it.

Getting an alignment with castor bolts (car pulled to the right since I got it)
transmission plug replaced (apparently common issue)
new intercooler
tune
airbox installed (need to go find an OEM one)

I/C was installed at approx. 67k, and it's now at about 87k. It seems to me the I/C should last longer. Although I did have super charger cutting out problems because of a coolant hose issue that happened after I rec'd the car.

I'll update with a couple more pics later.
Now I just need to decide whether to cut my losses and just sell when it's fixed, or chance it and hope it'll run fine for a few years without major issue.
Good to hear! Jerry is the man! Hence why we started Eurocharged lol.

Do a trans flush while there. Ya I have heard awesome stuff about Autoscope , and the guys know their stuff. LOLOLOLOL

I/C Should last longer, if properly installed and wasn't a POS from Code3 which it probably was.

Make sure your tunning a new pump as well (johnson)

If you need help let me know....

Last edited by loungn14; 12-29-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Pics to come of my leak, but so far I've had issues with getting it aligned, the NOS and water meth kit that was installed and ready was not ready... the hose was duct taped and crammed under the firewall.
The 185 pulley is actually a 181 pulley.
The pics underneath the hood, especially of the "custom" airbox is different than what I received.
The VRP 55 throttle body appears to be an OEM throttle body.
No clue if the tune is good because of the above, so will get a retune depending on what else is wrong with the car.
Hopefully everything else that was advertised on the car is true.. especially the new s/c and i/c.

Needless to say, I do have some people to thank when this is all said and done with.

And as always, have someone check out the car before you buy.. I did not.

From my dealings with him, I find it hard to believe that Lawrence would knowingly sell his car in the condition you find it in now.

As it pertains to the intercooler, bear in mind that Lawrence went through a nightmarish situation with Code3 Performance.

I direct you to Lawrence's saga in this link.

As I understand it, Code3 installed the Code3 intercooler. Due to a variety of other issues with the car that were allegedly caused / exacerbated by Code3, this car was then sent to Vadim for a 'cure'.
Lawrence purchased a new OEM intercooler and had Vadim install it.

So ....... the question is: for how long, and due to what intercooler is the significant coolant buildup on the intake runners and charge air distributors due to?

It would be very puzzling if the coolant buildup in the photos you posted is due to a new OE intercooler
If that coolant buildup was present prior to installing the new OEM unit, whomever didn't clean it out is negligent to the point of stupidity.

I remember when Lawrence had Vadim install a bunch of VRP products on this car. Supposedly, an updated throttlebody and intake was installed. If they aren't on the car now, that only leaves 2 possibilities as to the reason.
A. It was never installed in the first place.
B. It was removed from the car prior to sale.

Regarding the discrepancy concerning the aftermarket crank pulley, supposedly a 185mm pulley was installed at the end of the saga. I assume you measured the pulley to conclude that it is 181mm? Perhaps Eurocharged can verify what pulley was sold / installed?

BTW - you ought to clean those K&N filters on the intake - they are filthy.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your woes - you have a real mess on your hands right now. Hopefully you can can get in touch with Lawrence get some of these issues sorted out swiftly.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:39 PM

2003 C32
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
From my dealings with him, I find it hard to believe that Lawrence would knowingly sell his car in the condition you find it in now.

As it pertains to the intercooler, bear in mind that Lawrence went through a nightmarish situation with Code3 Performance.

I direct you to Lawrence's saga in this link.

As I understand it, Code3 installed the Code3 intercooler. Due to a variety of other issues with the car that were allegedly caused / exacerbated by Code3, this car was then sent to Vadim for a 'cure'.
Lawrence purchased a new OEM intercooler and had Vadim install it.

So ....... the question is: for how long, and due to what intercooler is the significant coolant buildup on the intake runners and charge air distributors due to?

It would be very puzzling if the coolant buildup in the photos you posted is due to a new OE intercooler
If that coolant buildup was present prior to installing the new OEM unit, whomever didn't clean it out is negligent to the point of stupidity.

I remember when Lawrence had Vadim install a bunch of VRP products on this car. Supposedly, an updated throttlebody and intake was installed. If they aren't on the car now, that only leaves 2 possibilities as to the reason.
A. It was never installed in the first place.
B. It was removed from the car prior to sale.

Regarding the discrepancy concerning the aftermarket crank pulley, supposedly a 185mm pulley was installed at the end of the saga. I assume you measured the pulley to conclude that it is 181mm? Perhaps Eurocharged can verify what pulley was sold / installed?

BTW - you ought to clean those K&N filters on the intake - they are filthy.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your woes - you have a real mess on your hands right now. Hopefully you can can get in touch with Lawrence get some of these issues sorted out swiftly.
Yes, Lawrence seemed very nice when I talked to him as well. As he definitely put money in the car, I'd like to think he wouldn't knowingly sell me something that has all of these issues.
Some things like the intercooler leak may have happened after I bought the car, or may have also been present when I bought it. I really don't know if there's a way to tell. Two pressure tests were done to make sure this wasn't an external leak, and as seen by the evidence, it is internal. Was everything cleaned out when a new I/C was put on? I don't know. I guess only Vadim does if he installed the new I/C.

Throttle body seems to be OEM, and is definitely not a VRP 55.
I'm going back to an OEM intake, so I'll clean the aftermarket intake up and possibly sell it. Just wait for pics of the heat shields... Ugh.

Eurocharged confirmed the pulley.

Last edited by dfwboiler; 12-29-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
you should measure the throttle body and see if its 80mm or not. Most tuners just mod the oem 80mm throttle body to work with the c32.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
I personally don't know too many car guys who don't know everything wrong with their car and that likely didn't happen since you bought the car(last few months)...With regard to bible passages in this matter...

Matthew 5:23-26.... 23 “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.
25 “Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. 26 Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.

Numbers 5: ‘Any man or woman who wrongs another in any way and so is unfaithful to the LORD is guilty 7 and must confess the sin they have committed. They must make full restitution for the wrong they have done, add a fifth of the value to it and give it all to the person they have wronged.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Lightbulb

Yes, Lawrence seemed very nice when I talked to him as well. As he definitely put money in the car, I'd like to think he wouldn't knowingly sell me something that has all of these issues.
Some things like the intercooler leak may have happened after I bought the car, or may have also been present when I bought it. I really don't know if there's a way to tell. Two pressure tests were done to make sure this wasn't an external leak, and as seen by the evidence, it is internal. Was everything cleaned out when a new I/C was put on? I don't know. I guess only Vadim does if he installed the new I/C.

Throttle body seems to be OEM, and is definitely not a VRP 55.
I'm going back to an OEM intake, so I'll clean the aftermarket intake up and possibly sell it. Just wait for pics of the heat shields... Ugh.

Eurocharged confirmed the pulley.
Sorry. About your issues man I feel for you. As for the i/c leak. For me there was no wa to know when you drove the car at low speed the on way you would finf out on mine was to take the car over 110MPH then you. Would feel it slug to go faster.... well you have the problem now its time to fix it. You can order it from parts.com or go to getmercedesparts.com they are an actual dealership. (Mercedes benz of anapolis in maryland) if you don't want to pay for shipping you can get the quote from getmercedesparts.com print it out take it to your dealers parts window and ask them to price match they will that's how I got mine. ... if you need any pointers on getting it done although I got wis workshop I fund it easier to use the srt6 repair manual to get done. Good luck
Old 12-30-2010, 09:36 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Personally, I'd never buy anything other than a stock c32 on the used market. Even stock there are too many issues to mention. As the old gear heads say "if you wanna play you gotta pay". Good luck in getting her fixed.