C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 Harmon Kardon Center Speaker Replacment Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2011 | 02:27 AM

2021 GLE450, 2005 C55, 1990 500SL, 1991 300E, 2006 BMW M5
C55 Harmon Kardon Center Speaker Replacment Options

Fairly happy with the sound system in the C55 with the exception of the rather annoying center speaker buzz from mid to high volumes. I searched the forum for any DIY articles and such, but only came across the Pioneer AVIC installs.

The car is equipped with the Harmon Kardon sound system which I believe is a 7 speaker one. (Also has Comand)

Has anyone replaced the center speaker in the middle of the dash? Is the round triangular grill removable from the dash or does the entire dash have to be pulled to access the center speaker?

2005 C55
Old 01-02-2011 | 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
It's technically a 12 speaker system, and I also get an odd buzz sometimes depending on the song and frequencies. So far just living with it since it doesn't happen all the time I think in the W203 forum there was someone who took some pix of it (and the grill removal), I think it's an odd size.
Old 01-02-2011 | 09:03 AM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by michael kuzni
whole dash has to come apart on that. if you do decide to do the job, i suggest just disconnecting it because an aftermarket speaker will not work correctly with the polarity.

Misinformation verboten.

Originally Posted by Viper98912
It's technically a 12 speaker system, and I also get an odd buzz sometimes depending on the song and frequencies. So far just living with it since it doesn't happen all the time I think in the W203 forum there was someone who took some pix of it (and the grill removal), I think it's an odd size.
Correct. Procedure and pics in the regular W203 forum.
Old 01-02-2011 | 11:04 AM

2021 GLE450, 2005 C55, 1990 500SL, 1991 300E, 2006 BMW M5
I completely forget to even check the non-AMG forum. Wow, what a brat I have become...

Here is a link to the forum with the picture:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...er-grille.html

The center speaker is a small, strange size. I may just end up disconnecting it and leaving it at that. For now, I need to go ahead and source some nylon pry tools and then get that center speaker grill off.

Thank You
Old 01-02-2011 | 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
I was going to make a similar thread but keep forgetting to.

I was wondering if anyone replaced the 4 door speakers and left everything else alone. I still have the Infinity Kappa speakers I had in my old car that I removed before I traded. At least one of my speakers is blown because every now and then I'll hear it get louder.
Old 01-02-2011 | 03:12 PM

2012 C250 coupe; 2007 E63 AMG (sold)
My 07 E63 had the same problem. I removed the center speaker to discover the speaker cone had separated from the mounting assembly (possibly due to the heat of FL sun). Glued the cone back down and sounds great. Dealer quoted me around $300 to fix. Cost me 15 min and 1 tube of superglue.
Old 01-02-2011 | 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by JayhawkPharmD
My 07 E63 had the same problem. I removed the center speaker to discover the speaker cone had separated from the mounting assembly (possibly due to the heat of FL sun). Glued the cone back down and sounds great. Dealer quoted me around $300 to fix. Cost me 15 min and 1 tube of superglue.
That is the general problem and is what happened to me. I tried to get a better aftermarket speaker from my audio guy but he said the ohm value was custom and it would just be an expensive pain if I did'nt want to upgrade the entire system, so I just bought a new MB center speaker from Caliber MB in CA and had my audio guy pop it in. Took him about 10 min. charged me $25 -- no worries. No buzz since. However, in another couple of years, unless I use the silver sun deflector religously, this will happen again.

Trending Topics

Old 01-02-2011 | 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by Tump43
That is the general problem and is what happened to me. I tried to get a better aftermarket speaker from my audio guy but he said the ohm value was custom and it would just be an expensive pain if I did'nt want to upgrade the entire system, so I just bought a new MB center speaker from Caliber MB in CA and had my audio guy pop it in. Took him about 10 min. charged me $25 -- no worries. No buzz since. However, in another couple of years, unless I use the silver sun deflector religously, this will happen again.
Exactly, you can't just pop a 4ohm aftermarket speaker in a 2ohm application.
Old 01-02-2011 | 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Where did you find that the HK speakers are 2ohm? I searched through posts back to 05 in the W203 forum and no one mentioned what ohm the speakers are. Infinity makes 2ohm speakers. If that's the case my Kappas should work fine just replacing all the door speakers and leaving everything else alone.
Old 01-02-2011 | 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by 91RS
Where did you find that the HK speakers are 2ohm? I searched through posts back to 05 in the W203 forum and no one mentioned what ohm the speakers are. Infinity makes 2ohm speakers. If that's the case my Kappas should work fine just replacing all the door speakers and leaving everything else alone.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-speakers.html

here you go buddy. i literally just found this thread, but i already knew they were 2ohm. replacing other speakers besides the center channel in the dash with 2ohm infinity kappas will not be an upgrade btw, you're still only limited to the amount of rms power that the factory amplifiers are pushing out. i don't know why the moderator said "BS" to my first comment, was it because the triangle piece does in fact come off by itself or because of the other info? if i were to change all my speakers, i'd put a JL cleansweep in there with either a diamond audio, hertz, or audison setup with a complete factory amp. bypass. it's gonna be the same in the w211, this is the universal ohm load HK uses in their production vehicles.
Old 01-02-2011 | 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've already looked into replacing the entire system and that is not going to happen. I'm not interested in spending thousands to do it.

Though, I did just find this: http://car-solutions.com/en/MOST-amp...cedes-Benz.php
Old 01-02-2011 | 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
I've already looked into replacing the entire system and that is not going to happen. I'm not interested in spending thousands to do it.

Though, I did just find this: http://car-solutions.com/en/MOST-amp...cedes-Benz.php

yea i see what you're saying and i agree. my perspective is that i'd be getting everything at cost so it'd be quite a difference in price. about your solution for adding an aftermarket amplifier (given that's what you intend to do with this) i would suggest doing ALOT of research before spending the money on one of these. i've seen countless amounts of companies try to make something like this and they all make more noise than my complaining ex-girlfriend. for everyone, i will be with my company at the consumer electronics show next week and when i get the free time, i'll talk to a rep. at a company who specifically deals with aftermarket integration and get them to give me a bunch of free samples. nothing's better than experimenting
Old 01-02-2011 | 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, that thing appears to be made by that Hong Kong company. No other information about it that I've found.

I can't remember the company off hand, but what I was looking at was actually a processor with something like 8 outputs that hooked in place of the factory amp in the MOST ring. Problem is, I believe the output was in the form of a SPDIF optical so I'd either need something else to convert the SPDIF to standard low level outs or an amp with a SPDIF input (hard to find). I don't think I'm that picky so I don't really think I need all that, but I don't want to use high-level inputs as I've never had good luck with that. Plus, I'd have a ton of wiring everywhere, all kinds of adjustments I likely no nothing about, and less and less cargo space.
Old 01-02-2011 | 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Yeah, that thing appears to be made by that Hong Kong company. No other information about it that I've found.

I can't remember the company off hand, but what I was looking at was actually a processor with something like 8 outputs that hooked in place of the factory amp in the MOST ring. Problem is, I believe the output was in the form of a SPDIF optical so I'd either need something else to convert the SPDIF to standard low level outs or an amp with a SPDIF input (hard to find). I don't think I'm that picky so I don't really think I need all that, but I don't want to use high-level inputs as I've never had good luck with that. Plus, I'd have a ton of wiring everywhere, all kinds of adjustments I likely no nothing about, and less and less cargo space.

yea this fiber optic system is a whole different game. do not lose faith in hi-to-low adapters, we use them all day long and over the years (about 3-4 actually working in the business) i've noticed that they differ by comapny. in my bmw x5, i had a high output system and all i had was an x scorpion $25 hi-to-low adapter on it and it worked amazing for almost 2 years before i sold the car. if you do decide to do it, you're more then welcome to PM me and i'll guide you through the adjustments process.