Air pump problem/quesiton

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e36 318i, 2004 sti
Air pump problem/quesiton

Ok everyone I know most of you know I have a problem with my secondary air flow.. my air pump. I know this part involves flowing air into the exhaust. Now my question is it fine for me to drive around or can not fixing this problem lead to more problems and possibly damage something? I am currently about to replace it but im just wondering if it can damage in the engine in any way?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB C32 AMG
You can drive without it, however I'd have it replaced
Old 01-19-2011, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
Other than the CEL and maybe emissions testing no issues... Make sure to try and replace the relay before replacement of the pump. It's not cheap!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e36 318i, 2004 sti
Originally Posted by gt4awd
Other than the CEL and maybe emissions testing no issues... Make sure to try and replace the relay before replacement of the pump. It's not cheap!
Ya that is wat I just heard. I am ordering the part tomorow lol from a friend. Its oem and is the new improved version apparently. Does $480 sound like a god deal for the air pump?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

$500 for the pump isn't a bad deal. You need to make sure it's the C32 pump though. You can buy the relay at dealership first for $25, and see if the pump starts working.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e36 318i, 2004 sti
I took my pump out last night and tested it and its dead.. ok I am going to order the pump tomorow than. guess my modding is going to wait a bit..
Old 01-19-2011, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If mine goes I don't think I'll replace it...
Old 01-19-2011, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e36 318i, 2004 sti
lol. just bought a pump for $360
Old 01-19-2011, 11:26 PM

MB C32 AMG
If I remember correctly, you should go to the dealer and have them update the software for your ECU (it's under some service campaign) and then install the relay otherwise it'll burn out again. Don't qote me on it but could have sworn there are posts out there.. I'll post the link if I find it.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 PM

MB C32 AMG
Ok found it.. It has the DYI, part numbers, etc...

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ump-issue.html
Old 01-20-2011, 12:19 AM

2005 C55 AMG
1.) He doesn't have a C32.
2.) You already started a thread about this, and had most, if not all questions answered: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...5-problem.html
Old 01-20-2011, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
it won't hurt the engine, its for smog purposes.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e36 318i, 2004 sti
Originally Posted by Mark.D
1.) He doesn't have a C32.
2.) You already started a thread about this, and had most, if not all questions answered: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...5-problem.html
1. True
2. These questions are not the same.

You always seem to find your way into my threads and make smart remarks..

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
it won't hurt the engine, its for smog purposes.
Thank you I have heard the only thing that can be damaged later on is the charcoal canister? I am replacing the pump in a matter of days so I think I will be fine.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e36 318i, 2004 sti
Ok everyone yesterday I received my air pump.. I replaced it today at 6. I drove it to my friends house and than once I returned home my air pump would not go off. It continued to run for about 15 minutes. I kept thinking it would just turn off. It started to make weird noises like it was grinding so I popped the hood and took the engine cover off. The air pump started to shoot out smoke from the top and continued to make those grinding noises and than it died.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Relay? Hopefully they'll send you another pump...
Old 01-23-2011, 03:48 AM

2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by MBfinatic
Ok everyone I know most of you know I have a problem with my secondary air flow.. my air pump. I know this part involves flowing air into the exhaust. Now my question is it fine for me to drive around or can not fixing this problem lead to more problems and possibly damage something? I am currently about to replace it but im just wondering if it can damage in the engine in any way?
1. True
2. These questions are not the same.

Ok everyone yesterday I received my air pump.. I replaced it today at 6. I drove it to my friends house and than once I returned home my air pump would not go off. It continued to run for about 15 minutes. I kept thinking it would just turn off. It started to make weird noises like it was grinding so I popped the hood and took the engine cover off. The air pump started to shoot out smoke from the top and continued to make those grinding noises and than it died.
Had you listened (read) what I provided in the other post you started, on the same issue, with the same answers, you wouldn't be looking at pump #3. Better yet, had you searched "secondary air injection pump," you would have pulled up the DIY, plus additional information about WHY a second pump might fail.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:59 AM

Not an AMG :(
Had you listened (read) what I provided in the other post you started, on the same issue, with the same answers, you wouldn't be looking at pump #3. Better yet, had you searched "secondary air injection pump," you would have pulled up the DIY, plus additional information about WHY a second pump might fail.
Mark.D is right - you need to read up on the causes of a secondary air injection pump failure and empirically determine what the issue is on your car (if you don't want to fork out the $$$$ at a dealership).

With the caveat that I owned a C32 (and not a C55), here is a thread I started some time ago regarding a remedy for a P0410 error code due to a secondary air injection failure.

If you are telling us that you installed a brand new secondary air injection pump and that it subsequently burned out and died, the problem can only be related to a few issues:

1. Your secondary air injection relay is bad. That is relay N10/1kO in the fuse diagram from the thread I hyperlinked. A bad fuse (N10/1f65) is usually a cause of the pump not turning on in the first place. It's rather unlikely the fuse is the issue. Nevertheless, test both.
If one can assume that a brand new pump is not faulty, I would state with confidence that a secondary air pump that continues to run upon startup, and subsequently 'dies' is absolutely diagnostic of a faulty relay.

2. The wiring to the secondary air injection pump is buggered up. Again, this is unlikely because the wiring is 'closed' to the plug. If I remember correctly, the plug can only go on in a particular orientation. Check that also.

3. Your ECU is faulty. Again, this is rather unlikely unless you (or somebody else) has been tinkering around with it.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e36 318i, 2004 sti
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
Mark.D is right - you need to read up on the causes of a secondary air injection pump failure and empirically determine what the issue is on your car (if you don't want to fork out the $$$$ at a dealership).

With the caveat that I owned a C32 (and not a C55), here is a thread I started some time ago regarding a remedy for a P0410 error code due to a secondary air injection failure.

If you are telling us that you installed a brand new secondary air injection pump and that it subsequently burned out and died, the problem can only be related to a few issues:

1. Your secondary air injection relay is bad. That is relay N10/1kO in the fuse diagram from the thread I hyperlinked. A bad fuse (N10/1f65) is usually a cause of the pump not turning on in the first place. It's rather unlikely the fuse is the issue. Nevertheless, test both.
If one can assume that a brand new pump is not faulty, I would state with confidence that a secondary air pump that continues to run upon startup, and subsequently 'dies' is absolutely diagnostic of a faulty relay.

2. The wiring to the secondary air injection pump is buggered up. Again, this is unlikely because the wiring is 'closed' to the plug. If I remember correctly, the plug can only go on in a particular orientation. Check that also.

3. Your ECU is faulty. Again, this is rather unlikely unless you (or somebody else) has been tinkering around with it.
OK thank you for all the information.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e36 318i, 2004 sti
I see this is a old letter but do you think the dealership would still honor this?

http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/i...cecampaign.jpg
Old 01-23-2011, 02:47 PM

2005 C55 AMG
I checked with my dealer, and it reads: "certain models of 2003-2006 AMG C-Class..." which I was told included C32, and not C55. But if you DO get the dealer to buy it off, let me know.

For the future, if you had an indy shop perform the install, and it blew up again, you could potentially have THEM pay for pump #3, since they would warrant their work for 30+ days or similar.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e36 318i, 2004 sti
I checked with my dealer, and it reads: "certain models of 2003-2006 AMG C-Class..." which I was told included C32, and not C55. But if you DO get the dealer to buy it off, let me know.

For the future, if you had an indy shop perform the install, and it blew up again, you could potentially have THEM pay for pump #3, since they would warrant their work for 30+ days or similar.
Ok I will let u know. Im going to call them tomorrow. That second idea with the idny shop most likely wont work for me since the 2 air pump lasted a couple hours..

Also about this document that is really bothering me. The guy that had this car before was very (caring) I must say about this car. Well that is what I have heard about him since I have never met him. If there was a recall letter sent out this guy definitely would have fixed this problem.. makes me wonder if im missing something..

Thank you guys for the help.

Last edited by MBfinatic; 01-23-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:01 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Ok I will let u know. Im going to call them tomorrow. That second idea with the idny shop most likely wont work for me since the 2 air pump lasted a couple hours..

Also about this document that is really bothering me. The guy that had this car before was very (caring) I must say about this car. Well that is what I have heard about him since I have never met him. If there was a recall letter sent out this guy definitely would have fixed this problem.. makes me wonder if im missing something..

Thank you guys for the help.
Service campaigns only affect a certain range of VIN's. So while the letter states "2002-2006 C-Class AMG models..." or whatever, your VIN may not fall within the range specified for the campaign. Since engineering manufacturing changes happen on the fly with a moving production line, certain vehicles will be corrected, or fixed before the leave the plant while others must be corrected in the field / fleet. Especially true of problems originating with ECU or other software components, as they are regularly updated in production.

Also, a service campaign is not a recall. A recall will address an immediate concern that may have an adverse effect (limit or hinder) on the way a vehicle or component is designed to perform to the end user in service. Service campaign will likely have no immediate impact on vehicle performance, but may be the result of litigation claims with the manufacturer, affect longevity of components, etc.

As to if the previous owner was made aware of the campaign depends on if the vehicle's VIN falls within the range of the campaign. It also depends on if the vehicle was serviced at an authorized MB retailer. If he had the vehicle serviced at an Indy shop, while the work may be just as good, the Indy shop might not have checked to see if there were any outstanding campaigns against the vehicle when it was brought in for regular service.

Call the dealer, reference the campaign, and ask if your VIN falls within the affected range. Tell them you received it in the mail so that they actually go back and check, as opposed to just telling you "no" and then hanging up.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e36 318i, 2004 sti
Service campaigns only affect a certain range of VIN's. So while the letter states "2002-2006 C-Class AMG models..." or whatever, your VIN may not fall within the range specified for the campaign. Since engineering manufacturing changes happen on the fly with a moving production line, certain vehicles will be corrected, or fixed before the leave the plant while others must be corrected in the field / fleet. Especially true of problems originating with ECU or other software components, as they are regularly updated in production.

Also, a service campaign is not a recall. A recall will address an immediate concern that may have an adverse effect (limit or hinder) on the way a vehicle or component is designed to perform to the end user in service. Service campaign will likely have no immediate impact on vehicle performance, but may be the result of litigation claims with the manufacturer, affect longevity of components, etc.

As to if the previous owner was made aware of the campaign depends on if the vehicle's VIN falls within the range of the campaign. It also depends on if the vehicle was serviced at an authorized MB retailer. If he had the vehicle serviced at an Indy shop, while the work may be just as good, the Indy shop might not have checked to see if there were any outstanding campaigns against the vehicle when it was brought in for regular service.

Call the dealer, reference the campaign, and ask if your VIN falls within the affected range. Tell them you received it in the mail so that they actually go back and check, as opposed to just telling you "no" and then hanging up.
ok thanks for clearing all that up.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e36 318i, 2004 sti
called the stealership today. They first told me they would honor the service campaign. They called me back several hours later to tell me that my vin number doesnt meet the qualifications to be fixed as you said. Just called Mb HQ about this... see if i can get anything out of them..

Also my stealership said they would charge me $310 to fix my relay.

I called the company about my air pump and im supposed to get it exchanged.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:38 PM

Not an AMG :(
called the stealership today. They first told me they would honor the service campaign. They called me back several hours later to tell me that my vin number doesnt meet the qualifications to be fixed as you said. Just called Mb HQ about this... see if i can get anything out of them..

Also my stealership said they would charge me $310 to fix my relay.

I called the company about my air pump and im supposed to get it exchanged.
If the MB dealership is telling you that it costs $310 to fix the relay, RUN AWAY!

The relay (if it is the same as the C32) part number is 002 542 65 19. If I can recall correctly, it costs no more than $30. Use the diagram and guide in the thread I linked above and you can do it yourself.
In the event that the part number has been updated or changed, they should be able to tell you that at the parts counter.

Good news on getting the pump exchanged for free.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Air pump problem/quesiton