Car covers - are they worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:43 AM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Multiple
Car covers - are they worth it?

Folks,

I searched but couldn't find anything, so please bear with me.

I maybe moving soon and losing my garage. As much as I hate it, I may have to start parking the fleet in the open. I am wondering if car covers are worth the hassle? I live in Boston where it rains or snows pretty much 6-7 months a year. A cover seems like it would keep the elements off the paint, but I have also heard they sway in the wind and are likely to scratch the car.

Does anyone here have first hand experience with covers? Are they worth it? Thanks a lot.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
They don’t make a specific one for the C55, you have to just buy a c-class one,. With a CF lip I am able to fully cover the C55 and all you can see are the bottoms of the wheels. I only use it to cover my car for when it’s parked in the garage so I can’t say it will stay on in high wind. I left my car for 7+ months and there was a light layer of dust between the cover and paint through. There are holes at the bottom reinforced with plastic to run locks or bungee through to further hold it down.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Toyota Corolla, 1994 Chevy C1500, 2002 C32, 2012 Prius, 2013 Toyota Sienna
I used a cover over the winter. Sometimes it would rain then freeze. I had about a foot of snow on the cover more than once. The car cover was stiff as a board and got stuck to the car. I had to wait until it thawed a little to take the cover off. If you get the cover tight enough it should not sway. Dust does get trapped between the inside cover and the paint. It is still worth it in my opinion. See car on left.........
Attached Thumbnails Car covers - are they worth it?-picture-004.jpg   Car covers - are they worth it?-picture-023.jpg  
Old 03-17-2011, 06:21 AM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
C55 AMG T with Kleemann K2 and some stuff: 414 hp and 576Nm :-)
If you use a cover, you must park your car on a plastic film,
otherwise moist will come up from the ground and be trapped
between the cover and the car, with rust as a result.

//P.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:44 AM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Multiple
Originally Posted by amgen
If you use a cover, you must park your car on a plastic film,
otherwise moist will come up from the ground and be trapped
between the cover and the car, with rust as a result.

//P.
Wow, excellent feedback. I can put a HUGE tarp down in two layers first and then cover the car.

Thanks to everyone who responded so far.

Any fear of the car getting scratched because of cover moving about in the wind?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:13 PM

C55
I found a W203 specific cover from a former C55 guy on ebay for $30 and have been pretty happy with it. The fit is pretty tight, so I dont have an issue with it blowing off or moving around. There are two holes on the bottom (in the middle of the car) that you can use to tie it down. If its going to be outside I would suggest finding a way to secure a lock to deter theft. Overall I would say the cover is a good move.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:20 PM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
You will get scratches and marring from the cover. There is really no way to avoid that. However, scratches and marring can usually be polished out. Clearcoat damage from bird poo, and acid rain along with trim/interior fading, etc, cannot be easily fixed.

I am fortunate enough to have a garage. In a garage, I don't see the need to cover, but if I were forced to keep a car outside, I would have a cover. You just have to make sure the car is clean before covering each time. You will need to get up to speed on using rinse-less wash and/or quick detailer before covering.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 C55 AMG
I live in Southern California where the weather is pretty decent. Unfortunately since we have 8 cars my C55 cannot fit into the garage. I am looking for something to just cover it from the sun rays. Any suggestions?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32, 2007 E550 4matic
I purchased a cheap generic cover from Autozone. It has elastic front and back. When I use it, I put it on and pinch the sides of it in the bottom corner of the front two doors. Just open the door an inch through the cover, insert piece of cover and close door. This keeps the wind from blowing it out of place. I store my car at my mother's house in the winter and it keeps the small branches, droppings, and other debris off the car.