C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Suspension question for the crew.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63S AMG, 2003 SLK 230 Sport, 2004 SL 600, 2006 SLK 55 AMG, 1998 E320 Wagon
Suspension question for the crew.

I may have asked this before, but I got very few responses, so I figure I ask now.

What suspension kits do you guys use? I've just got the stock suspension and would 'like' to upgrade it, but I keep getting conflicting answers on what's best. I'm not interested in coilovers simply because I still want a relatively comfortable ride and I don't want to offer up my arm as payment. I was thinking about some H&R Springs combined with Koni yellow coilovers, but I've also heard our stock suspension is actually pretty good as is.

What's the board's opinion?
Old 05-11-2011, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
Personally I have the KW Variant 2 coil over which I LOVE! You can adjust the height as well as how stiff you would like it. The price was the only bad part.

The stock suspension may not be too bad but it is extremely high. A lower center of gravity will increase your handling for the better, I'd recommend springs at least. A good spring and shock combo should get you where you want to be handling wise, the only downside is you cannot adjust how low you want it.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
I have Renntech springs on Bilstein shocks.. Ride is comfortable and not too stiff with perfect drop..
Old 05-11-2011, 12:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
Don't want to hijack but my own question is what if I want you use the C55 setup in the front for a slight drop. Do I need to order the springs and shocks or just the springs?
Old 05-11-2011, 11:21 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Topic has already been discussed.

I'm using the C55 setup on my C32. Consists of C55 front springs, front struts and rear shocks, the rear springs are the same as the C32. My car is about 1-1.25" lower in the front. The dampers are incredibly stiff and there is a significant improvement in handling with this setup.

This is some info PCValkyrie posted in another thread...

Here is some information, taken from Mercedes Enthusiast magazine:

"Compared to the C32, the C55's AMG springs are uprated by 20% (stiffer) in the front, with no change in the rear. The uprated dampers are digressive and have been increased by 30% in bounce and 10% in rebound at the front, and 15% in bounce and 10% in rebound at the rear. The bearings of the front suspension are stiffer to improve steering feel and geometric precision. The elastokinematics were reworked on both axles: Both the tension strut on the McPherson three-link front axle and the spring suspension link of the multi-link independent rear suspension are harder."

Here's the link to our long discussion. There's lots of good info and basically everything you ever wanted to know about C32 suspension options. H&R w/ stock dampers, C55 setup, Koni setup, etc. Most part numbers and prices are even listed.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...r-lowered.html

I think that link should be stickied as the same question seems to be asked quite often here.

To sum things up, basically the H&R setup with any off the shelf dampers are no good. The H&R front springs are too short and there isn't enough travel. Splinter said that one band aid solution was to revalve the front struts and make them stiffer to compensate for the shorter spring travel. There are problems with bottoming out in the front. C32 H&R springs are the same as all W203 H&R springs, so there are no specific H&R springs for our cars. I believe Splinter used a combination of different H&R spring part numbers as well as custom revalved dampers to make his setup work. At any rate, I'm very happy with the C55 setup. From what I've read, the C55 dampers are stiffer than any off the shelf aftermarket damper available.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 05-11-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:06 AM

C32, E93 M3
I am also running c55 front struts and HR springs. c32 rear shocks with the HR spring on #4 pads. Drop looks fantastic, but not too low (I didn't want a boy-racer 'slammed' look). Handling is much improved. Its a bit stiffer, but i certainly wouldn't describe it as "incredibly stiff" like Autotechnica did.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:41 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by SYZYGY
I am also running c55 front struts and HR springs. c32 rear shocks with the HR spring on #4 pads. Drop looks fantastic, but not too low (I didn't want a boy-racer 'slammed' look). Handling is much improved. Its a bit stiffer, but i certainly wouldn't describe it as "incredibly stiff" like Autotechnica did.
It would be interesting to feel the difference between the H&R and C55 springs. I was at an auto-x event 2 weeks ago in a C320 w/ KONI/H&R setup. The ride was quite bouncey to be honest. Definitely felt like the car was overdamped, even at 50% rebound setting. However, the C320 has the proper weight up front, so there wasn't any problems with bottoming out. If I wasn't so **** about properly valved suspension, I would have probably gone for the C55/H&R setup. It's either that or revalve the struts. I do quite a lot of track/auto-x, so decided to take the safer route. If you ever take it to the track, let me know how it handles.

Bry

Last edited by Autotechnica; 05-12-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:34 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
had

stock shocks with RENNtech springs: comfortable ride, but shocks gave away and it started being fairly harsh.
TEIN Superstreet coilovers: adjustable ride. had it on stiff up front and soft in the rear. overall it was a good setup that gave you more camber up front.

now

Bilstein PSS9: have it on 7 (which is on the soft side) and it is still pretty firm, but it maintains a comfortable ride. you do feel more of the road than the TEIN.