Nitrous Kit for my C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by AMGSC
As Hooley proclaimed that he had the highest rwhp/rwtq numbers on record, I compared my most recent rwhp/rwtq numbers to any other C55 on this forum and elsewhere and could not find one with a higher rwhp/rwtq number especially on a DD dyno. Maybe MBMexico's twin turbo had higher numbers than any of us but I cound not find his official dyno chart nor any proof that the car was still running. Both our cars also had higher dyno numbers than the reigning C55 king (AMGDragon) 5 years ago.

Ultimately, it comes down to getting her to the track.
So, AFAIK, Hooleyboy's old C55 holds the C55 record for highest HP/TQ produced on a dyno, and the record for quickest/fastest C55. As best I can tell, it's still holding all of the C55 records.

Now, if you manage to take 'em, you'll have a record or two of your own.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
So, AFAIK, Hooleyboy's old C55 holds the C55 record for highest HP/TQ produced on a dyno, and the record for quickest/fastest C55. As best I can tell, it's still holding all of the C55 records.

Now, if you manage to take 'em, you'll have a record or two of your own.
True. His former car is still THE record holder in terms of hard numbers on the dyno and on the strip. It's semantics but I guess there's no such thing as two record holders of anything. Come cooler weather and a new set of lightweight wheels that will fit over my Big brakes, I will pinpoint a convenient date at Sac or Famoso this September and hopefully get a handful of forum members to participate and have some fun. I would love to see the Benzos outrun some of the Vettes, Stangs, Beamers, Audis, etc.. again.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
What about a small dry shot into the intercooler?
Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by isedawishy
What about a small dry shot into the intercooler?
That was suggested by a few others as well. It might be a good idea but I'm thinking of going back to a methanol injection kit again. It's really safe and cools down the charge air while making the fuel slightly richer due to the alcohol content in the methanol.

A friend also suggested re-routing the headlight washers and pointing them at the SC heat exchanger radiator which would act as a cooling agent as well.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by AMGSC
True. His former car is still THE record holder in terms of hard numbers on the dyno and on the strip. It's semantics but I guess there's no such thing as two record holders of anything. Come cooler weather and a new set of lightweight wheels that will fit over my Big brakes, I will pinpoint a convenient date at Sac or Famoso this September and hopefully get a handful of forum members to participate and have some fun. I would love to see the Benzos outrun some of the Vettes, Stangs, Beamers, Audis, etc.. again.
i'll come out if you go. i'd get others on here within a 100 mile radius to come out too.

edit: do you have pictures of your car you can share?
Old 08-25-2011, 05:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Meth injection - to get the real big HP/TQ gains from meth you need a 'meth' tune which is more aggressive timing with the meth..... however the danger here is if the mech fuel pump for meth fails or a line breaks or if you run out of meth mixture you will damage the engine...... what the mustang crowd does with meth is to relocate the IAT sensor (Intake air temp) to the inlet piping, then spray the meth nozzle directly at the IAT sensor..... so the computer keeps the timing in...... however, if the meth fails or stops for some reason the the IAT heats up and pulls timing so you dont' damage your motor. I dont know if the mb w113 motor has an IAT sensor like this.... but something to think about.

You can get some other benefits from running meth WITHOUT a tune that takes full advantage of it... more for cooling, octane boost....... but I'm not convinced that it's worth the hassle without the meth tune.

LMK if my ramble makes sense.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree. I had a AquaMist system on my car but no separate tune for it and it made very little difference on the dyno with it on or off. The temps were down a bit and the AFR was a little richer but no noticiable bump in rwhp/rwtq. I don't know if Rich would be interested in doing a separate tune on the RAT switch for a Meth kit but I will ask.

Originally Posted by betrezra
Meth injection - to get the real big HP/TQ gains from meth you need a 'meth' tune which is more aggressive timing with the meth..... however the danger here is if the mech fuel pump for meth fails or a line breaks or if you run out of meth mixture you will damage the engine...... what the mustang crowd does with meth is to relocate the IAT sensor (Intake air temp) to the inlet piping, then spray the meth nozzle directly at the IAT sensor..... so the computer keeps the timing in...... however, if the meth fails or stops for some reason the the IAT heats up and pulls timing so you dont' damage your motor. I dont know if the mb w113 motor has an IAT sensor like this.... but something to think about.

You can get some other benefits from running meth WITHOUT a tune that takes full advantage of it... more for cooling, octane boost....... but I'm not convinced that it's worth the hassle without the meth tune.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I spoke to Rich at DynoComp again and he laid out the facts. First of all, the ECU WILL learn when the methanol raises octane and will advance the timing EVEN without a custom tune for it. When there is a problem with pump, nozzle, vacuum or electrical lines, the ECU will not retard timing fast enough and thus you can get engine damage. Secondly, the cooling benefits are mininal unless you spray alot and then you run the chance of that the liquid does not fully atomize and ends up corroding the bearings or stripping the coating off the impeller blades. The ideal location for max power is still at the intake ports but is very difficult to install and very risky due to possible wash down of the cylinders.

I was about the purchase a new Meth Kit but canceled it after this conversation with Rich.

Originally Posted by betrezra