C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Replaced pads with EBC yellow stuff

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55, 2006 Ram 2500 MegaCab diesel, sold 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins, sold 87 190e-16v, sold 97 e420
Replaced pads with EBC yellow stuff

After cooking my pads and rotors at a track day event and doing a quick swap with another set of stock pads, my front rotors were totally glazed and cracked so I replaced my front rotors and went with EBC yellow stuff all the way around. What a difference in stopping power cold or hot. See the pics for the difference in surface area. Beware, they are noisy and dusty as one would expect from a race quality pad.
Attached Thumbnails Replaced pads with EBC yellow stuff-img_0073.jpg   Replaced pads with EBC yellow stuff-img_0071.jpg  
Old 09-12-2011, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
I'm going to go with EBC redstuff pads after my stock ones are done, good choice though.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:44 PM

2002 C32 AMG
I'm currently using redstuff and there is noticeable fade at the track. Even the redstuff pads have to be warmed up a bit before they start to work. I've asked around and talked to my fellow track buddies. They all seemed to have the same opinion on the yellowstuff. I was thinking of getting them as a replacement because I need something more aggressive. They said the yellowstuff has amazing bite once warmed up, but they overheat quickly and still have pretty bad fade. I wish HAWK made an application for our cars. Simply the best fade free pads I've ever used. I'm going to try porterfields next. No more EBC for me. I also used EBC red stuff on my SAAB. They literally exploded at the track when I ran them with R-compounds. I drove home from the track with exploded rear brake pads and had to replace my rotors. Pads were pretty new, had just finished breaking them in too. Let us know how the yellowstuffs are on the track if you decide to get them. Seems like most people who buy EBC have no other options. When I ask fellow drivers opinions about EBC at a track day, they all look at me funny and ask why I would consider EBC at all?

thanks,

Bry

Last edited by Autotechnica; 09-12-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
You really did cook your brakes, your calipers are gold from the heat. First time I've seen that on a C32.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Autotechnica
1.I'm currently using redstuff and there is noticeable fade at the track. Even the redstuff pads have to be warmed up a bit before they start to work.
2.When I ask fellow drivers opinions about EBC at a track day, they all look at me funny and ask why I would consider EBC at all?

thanks,

Bry
1. I ran Redstuff on My C32 with NO fade what so ever The stock pads would last maybe 14-16 laps before going to the floor, while the Redstuff I could run for a FULL 30 minute session. As far as the warm up, I never saw a differnece from cold to hot, but then again everyone drives differently on the track and street

2. A few years back almost all of the local guys near me would use EBC yellow and blues, note this is at BEaverun and Nelson Ledges. Some still do, some have moved on to even MORE aggressive pads. What track were you at, as I am guessing it was Mosport?

Sorry, But I still use and REALLY like EBC red for street/occasional track.

Low dust, low fade, low cost
Old 09-13-2011, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
So you guys are saying EBC red stuff is a great factory replacement?
Old 09-13-2011, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by michael kuzni
So you guys are saying EBC red stuff is a great factory replacement?
In a word Yes

Low dust
Better than stock performance, by far
No squealing, when bedded properly, aka follow directions.

If you do open track days, and do not mind some dust, yellows are a better choice. But they WILL dust and are NOT ceramic
Old 09-13-2011, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
In a word Yes

Low dust
Better than stock performance, by far
No squealing, when bedded properly, aka follow directions.

If you do open track days, and do not mind some dust, yellows are a better choice. But they WILL dust and are NOT ceramic
Awesome, I'll buy them next when I need to change my brakes
Old 09-13-2011, 04:40 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
1. I ran Redstuff on My C32 with NO fade what so ever The stock pads would last maybe 14-16 laps before going to the floor, while the Redstuff I could run for a FULL 30 minute session. As far as the warm up, I never saw a differnece from cold to hot, but then again everyone drives differently on the track and street

2. A few years back almost all of the local guys near me would use EBC yellow and blues, note this is at BEaverun and Nelson Ledges. Some still do, some have moved on to even MORE aggressive pads. What track were you at, as I am guessing it was Mosport?

Sorry, But I still use and REALLY like EBC red for street/occasional track.

Low dust, low fade, low cost
I've had better runs at mosport since you can obtain significant enough speeds to be able to cool your brakes properly. I overheat the pads at Shannonville where there are lots of tight slow speed turns. Even the back straight isn't that long. It all depends on the type of track. Mosport is all highspeed turns, so I find there is a lot less stress on tires/brakes. I'm a driver that's very heavy on the brakes and I always brake late. If you ever try a set of HAWK pads in HP+, I'm sure you will be impressed. EBC reds are decent, but I wouldn't classify them as track or even occasional track pads. Would be interested to see how yellowstuff works out.

Redstuff is more than adequate for the street, although better options exists for "other" cars. I would be more interested in a Porterfield vs. EBC comparison.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 09-13-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
I've had better runs at mosport since you can obtain significant enough speeds to be able to cool your brakes properly. I overheat the pads at Shannonville where there are lots of tight slow speed turns. Even the back straight isn't that long. It all depends on the type of track. Mosport is all highspeed turns, so I find there is a lot less stress on tires/brakes. I'm a driver that's very heavy on the brakes and I always brake late. If you ever try a set of HAWK pads in HP+, I'm sure you will be impressed. EBC reds are decent, but I wouldn't classify them as track or even occasional track pads. Would be interested to see how yellowstuff works out.

Redstuff is more than adequate for the street, although better options exists for "other" cars. I would be more interested in a Porterfield vs. EBC comparison.
Boy o boy, Shannonville, now you are really bringing back the memories

Okay, it IS a very tight track for sure, and VERY little passing room. Which configuration did you run?

I always liked the whole track, but the back track was also very fun as well.

Is there still the huge rout in turn one on the back track?

Okay, back on brakes. Porterfield have a WILD following in the Porsche group, and I have seen them work well in LIGHT cars, aka under 3400lbs. So for a C32 they are not a bad choice, but pricey.

Hawks are okay, but tend to eat rotors.

I don't know if they make them for the C32 but EBC Blues are VERY aggressive, aka NOT for street use.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Been using EBC for awhile.. Others were skeptical but I'm extremely happy with the yellow stuff.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:03 PM

2005 C55, 2006 Ram 2500 MegaCab diesel, sold 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins, sold 87 190e-16v, sold 97 e420
Originally Posted by loudandheard
You really did cook your brakes, your calipers are gold from the heat. First time I've seen that on a C32.

Yup 30 min session with repeating stop from 120 down to 40mph.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:06 PM

I'm currently using redstuff and there is noticeable fade at the track. Even the redstuff pads have to be warmed up a bit before they start to work. I've asked around and talked to my fellow track buddies. They all seemed to have the same opinion on the yellowstuff. I was thinking of getting them as a replacement because I need something more aggressive. They said the yellowstuff has amazing bite once warmed up, but they overheat quickly and still have pretty bad fade. I wish HAWK made an application for our cars. Simply the best fade free pads I've ever used. I'm going to try porterfields next. No more EBC for me. I also used EBC red stuff on my SAAB. They literally exploded at the track when I ran them with R-compounds. I drove home from the track with exploded rear brake pads and had to replace my rotors. Pads were pretty new, had just finished breaking them in too. Let us know how the yellowstuffs are on the track if you decide to get them. Seems like most people who buy EBC have no other options. When I ask fellow drivers opinions about EBC at a track day, they all look at me funny and ask why I would consider EBC at all?

thanks,

Bry
I can't say I have seen exploded brake pads and I find it hard to believe that rears would do that considering they only do 25% of the work. Perhaps you had stuck calipers.

either way, check out this brake test by Car and Driver.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/perform...c-yellowstuff/

The SCCA instructors that rode with me all and people I work with at Autox don't necessarily endorse late braking unless you are trying to pass, you are better off on the brakes slightly early to get the car set up and on the throttle as soon as possible.