C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Temperamental after leaving outside overnight....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Temperamental after leaving outside overnight....

I 98% of the time keep the C32 in my closed garage, but from to time, I leave the car outdoors overnight. What is odd and this has always happened is the not wanting to start (like a weak battery) or turnover as the car normally does.
Is this a sign of something about to fail? I will test the charging system in the morning and the battery is only a year or so old. I can leave the car at work and starts fine 12 hours later- just not wanting to fire up after being outdoors overnight. Last full tune was in Jan 2011 and the car has 80,000 miles on it.

Just odd........

Bob
Old 10-10-2011, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by trbo2nr
I 98% of the time keep the C32 in my closed garage, but from to time, I leave the car outdoors overnight. What is odd and this has always happened is the not wanting to start (like a weak battery) or turnover as the car normally does.
Is this a sign of something about to fail? I will test the charging system in the morning and the battery is only a year or so old. I can leave the car at work and starts fine 12 hours later- just not wanting to fire up after being outdoors overnight. Last full tune was in Jan 2011 and the car has 80,000 miles on it.

Just odd........

Bob
My car does it when it's cool out. I wonder if the starter is going bad.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Originally Posted by loudandheard
My car does it when it's cool out. I wonder if the starter is going bad.
Yeah, only cool overnight it acts up. I just checkted the battery (fairly new) and measured 12.6 volts and charging system when running is at 14.4 volts.

I thought when the starter would go, it's all of a sudden. This issue has been the case since owning the car for the last four years (second owner).
Old 10-10-2011, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
I noticed this issue recently, but it's started fine almost every time. I think there was one time where I had to crank it twice, but that only happened once from what I can remember.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG
Yeah, only cool overnight it acts up. I just checkted the battery (fairly new) and measured 12.6 volts and charging system when running is at 14.4 volts.

I thought when the starter would go, it's all of a sudden. This issue has been the case since owning the car for the last four years (second owner).

Battery chemistry is affected quiet a bit by temperature. Might I suggest trying to take a reading on one of those cold mornings when you're having trouble starting?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
Tuned in as I also experienced this in the last 2 nights at around 4am when temperature was in the mid 40's..
Old 10-10-2011, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, I will put the meter in car and try the next time I park outside overnight. Kind of sounds like the cold cranking amps of the battery...... The battery is the large Interstate battery and I think just over a year old (1 1/2 years tops).
Old 10-10-2011, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Yeah, I will put the meter in car and try the next time I park outside overnight. Kind of sounds like the cold cranking amps of the battery...... The battery is the large Interstate battery and I think just over a year old (1 1/2 years tops).
That's the same battery that I have. I wonder if this might be related to the battery. When I had my car serviced by an indy this was the battery that he recommended. We may have found the common link?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by loudandheard
That's the same battery that I have. I wonder if this might be related to the battery. When I had my car serviced by an indy this was the battery that he recommended. We may have found the common link?
I wonder if others have the same battery. I normally use DieHard but Sears did not have in stock when I was looking. Maybe I can pull the model off the battery and see if we have the exact model. I will locate tomorrow and see if there are issues by searching the web or the vendor's site.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
I wonder if others have the same battery. I normally use DieHard but Sears did not have in stock when I was looking. Maybe I can pull the model off the battery and see if we have the exact model. I will locate tomorrow and see if there are issues by searching the web or the vendor's site.
Same Interstate battery in my car.. Problem solved..!! Lets get new batteries and see the results. My last Mercedes had a Yellow top Optima which never gave me issues..
Old 10-11-2011, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Just checked out info about the yellow top and it looks like that's the one I want. Now I have to figure out the best model.

YellowTop: Use this when electrical loads are higher than average, or when the discharge cycle is more than typical engine starting, such as vehicles without alternators. This also includes vehicles with significant electrical loads that may exceed the average alternator output (for example aftermarket audio system, GPS, chargers, winch, snowplow, inverters, drag cars). This can also include vehicles that have a lot of electronics from the factory, such as a minivan with power sliding doors and a DVD player, especially if the DVD player is used when the engine isn’t running.

Racing vehicles without a charging system (alternator or generator)
Dedicated drag racing vehicles
Diesel powered vehicles with aftermarket electronics
Car audio/video applications exceeding 250 watts over the OE system
Vehicles or heavy equipment with inverters, hydraulics, winches or other accessories
Electric vehicles
Old 10-11-2011, 04:10 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
issue = battery suck!

we replaced the battery in my dad's old Jag with the interstate couple months ago and right away it was having cold start problems. turns out this brand new battery doesn't produce enough cold crank power. exchanged one and it was fine.

if it is really cold outside however the car will have a hard time starting. i was in SF some years back and the outside temp at night was below 40 and the next morning the car had one hack of the time