C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

I found a cheap fix for my Transmission Jerk!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Thumbs up I found a cheap fix for my Transmission Jerk!

Many of us have suffered for years with the dreaded Tranny Jerk. I, myself, have fought with this affliction since the day I bought my car. There have been dozens of threads here, complaining about it. Here is mine, covering several years of frustrations:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ml#post4489898

Some people have claimed to have found a solution:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...d-finally.html

I have used the ECU reset to temporarily alleviate some of the harshness of the jerk over the years. But, today I have NO MORE JERK! (the solution in a moment)

At first, I was tending to believe that the fix was just a figment of my imagination, wishful thinking of sorts. Today, I received confirmation from another member here, none other than the esteemed splinter, that this works.

Ready? Here is the complicated fix...........

Replace your CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor).

You're welcome.

OK, so you need more? I was experiencing the typical failing CPS symptoms (engine cranking without a start, CEL lit for the next 3-4 starts, Code P0335). I purchased a new Bosch CPS online and had it installed last week. Upon driving out of the garage, I noticed the smoothness of my car. Prior to this, not only did I have the tranny jerk but, the general smoothness of the on-off tendencies of the throttle were less than luxurious. All of a sudden, my 10 year old car felt brand new again, with lots of supercharged zip to boot.

I told splinter about my revelation and excitement. He "preemptively" ordered a new CPS and text me this morning that he noticed a marked change in the transmission jerk, too. (splinter, please chime in here with your experience)

All I can say is, I am in love with my car all over again. I have no complaints about the (previously) awful transmission. This is the best $140 I've spent on my car (yes, I got a smoking deal on the part and labor).

Do it. You won't be dissatisfied with the results.

Last edited by ScottW911; 10-14-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C32 AMG
If this works, I will drive to your house and hug you.

But this really makes me wonder. A few months back I had taken my car into an indi to have some tests run. After he ran the tests he said he "reset the CPS" Now I don't know if this is coincidence but my jerk stop for quite some time. (It eventually came back and recently it's been worse than every)

I haven't had failing CPS symptoms, but it's worth a shot.

This is quite a simple fix. I'm going to order in a new CPS and switch it out. We'll see...

Last edited by Budget Baller; 10-14-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:19 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Unless you are an extremely patient individual, I suggest you let someone do it for you if the labor quote isn't too bad.

I did it myself, it is possible, but MAN does it suck. You NEED small hands, a TON of patience, and PLENTY of extensions / elbows / flex joints.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:20 PM

Mercedes C32 AMG
If I did this the car would end up in much worse shape My brother is a mechanic and has all the proper gizmo's to get the job done correctly.

After replacing the sensor have you had issues with the tranny jerk?
Old 10-14-2011, 03:23 PM

2003 C32 AMG
My car has never had any type of jerk, at least nothing noticeable. Of course I could "tell" when the torque converter locked up like normal, but it was only "noticable" when the car was cold, and once warm you can't ever feel it. That being said, my car DID run / shift better (smoother) at light throttle, low load after replacing the CPS. The CPS had been "failing" for a while, and finally died completely before I replaced it.

But now I think I have a bad throttle body. Damn you C32!
Old 10-14-2011, 03:24 PM

Mercedes C32 AMG
Interesting. Yea at the moment my cars performance at low load has been almost unbearably annoying. That gives me a bit of hope.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:30 PM

Mercedes C32 AMG
Can we confirm this is the correct part:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...3-1822491.html
Old 10-14-2011, 03:32 PM

2003 C32 AMG
This is the correct part, OEM is Bosch. It's the one I used, cheaper too:

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ber=0261210170
Old 10-14-2011, 03:33 PM

Mercedes C32 AMG
Actually I'd prefer OEM. I did a search on Autohaus and didn't find anything. I have an account with them already so I'll probably order that later today
Old 10-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by JNeidlinger
This is the correct part, OEM is Bosch. It's the one I used, cheaper too:

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ber=0261210170
Originally Posted by Budget Baller
Actually I'd prefer OEM. I did a search on Autohaus and didn't find anything. I have an account with them already so I'll probably order that later today
I did the bosch from autohousaz.com also..
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...0153%2028%2028

Maybe it was the OEM part that was the problem all along. If this part is know to be a systemic failure point on our cars, why would you want to repeat the misery? My Bosch works great and the price and service were great from autohausaz.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:14 PM

Mercedes C32 AMG
Good to know thanks. You know I was just saying on another thread how I've never been able to figure out my idling issue. (I've changed...everything) This is one thing that's never been replaced.

A bad CPS could actually also be the reason for my rough idling and accelerating issues. I can't wait to report back on how the fix goes. Part probably won't be here till Tuesday.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Good to know thanks. You know I was just saying on another thread how I've never been able to figure out my idling issue. (I've changed...everything) This is one thing that's never been replaced.

A bad CPS could actually also be the reason for my rough idling and accelerating issues. I can't wait to report back on how the fix goes. Part probably won't be here till Tuesday.
Should I expect that hug on Wednesday then?
Old 10-14-2011, 04:43 PM

Mercedes C32 AMG
If it solves the problem, yes a hug will be in order
Old 10-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

If it solves the problem, yes a hug will be in order
At this moment, I'm hoping you're a hot chick. I don't know why but, Daisy Duke just popped to mind (either one, the original or Jessica Simpson's version).
Old 10-14-2011, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
I have the tranny jerk on my C32. I get it pretty often too. It almost sounds like the intake whistles too when I get it... The throttle goes all weird and what not. Anyways, I've got a few other mods up my sleeve but if this really pans out to be the right fix, I will have to do it eventually.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by ScottW911
I did the bosch from autohousaz.com also..
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...0153%2028%2028

Maybe it was the OEM part that was the problem all along. If this part is know to be a systemic failure point on our cars, why would you want to repeat the misery? My Bosch works great and the price and service were great from autohausaz.
Thanks for sharing Scott!!!

As an aside, I am still running those rims I bought from you about 4 years ago!!!
Old 10-14-2011, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Should I expect that hug on Wednesday then?
I am officially "revoking" BOTH of your man cards!!!
Old 10-14-2011, 06:04 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Sorry to burst your bubble guys. But, I changed my CPS last year (had the typical CPS symptoms, it ended up being fuel pumps) but anyways, after changing the CPS I didn't notice any changes in the tranny jerk. Had it and still have it. I believe I ordered and installed the Bosch CPS if I remember correctly. Maybe it's the wire going to CPS .
Old 10-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Newzchspy
I am officially "revoking" BOTH of your man cards!!!
Dude, you missed the important post, below.

At this moment, I'm hoping you're a hot chick. I don't know why but, Daisy Duke just popped to mind (either one, the original or Jessica Simpson's version).
I didn't want to say I fantasize about anyone named "Stevie". That might sound a bit gay.
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Thanks for sharing Scott!!!

As an aside, I am still running those rims I bought from you about 4 years ago!!!
I'm glad you are getting good use of them. Was it really that long ago?
Old 10-15-2011, 12:18 AM

Mercedes C32 AMG
Originally Posted by SUPR C
Sorry to burst your bubble guys. But, I changed my CPS last year (had the typical CPS symptoms, it ended up being fuel pumps) but anyways, after changing the CPS I didn't notice any changes in the tranny jerk. Had it and still have it. I believe I ordered and installed the Bosch CPS if I remember correctly. Maybe it's the wire going to CPS .
Eh I was afraid of that. I spoke with my brother today and he said he doubted it would fix the jerk. He also said when your CPS goes it goes. Because it's magnetic based he doubts it's failing enough just to cause the tranny jerk
Old 10-15-2011, 01:42 AM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Eh I was afraid of that. I spoke with my brother today and he said he doubted it would fix the jerk. He also said when your CPS goes it goes. Because it's magnetic based he doubts it's failing enough just to cause the tranny jerk
I know, but ScottW911 and Splinter are one of the most knowledgeable guys on the forum. Specially when it comes to the C32. Unfortunately, that was my experience. That is why I was thinking maybe it is the wire going to CPS. After all, It is pretty close to the exhaust manifold from what I remember.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Sorry, SUPR C and Budget B, but more than a week out and my car is still running very smoothly.

I can't find any technical reason for it (heck, I don't even understand what the CPS is) but, I just know that, after more than 5 years of the torque coverter making my life uncomfortable, all seems to be great now.

For those that are at the end of their rope, giving up ever finding a solution for the jerk, this has worked for me. I hope it will work for others too.

Budget, have you gotten your installed yet? Any feedback?
Old 10-19-2011, 03:39 PM

Mercedes C32 AMG
Hey Scott,

No I don't have the part yet. Once it arrives it will probably take a little while for me to install the part.

My wife and I just had a baby and he's stealing all of my time

As soon as the parts in though, I'll report back ASAP with the results.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
A Eurocharged TCU Tune will resolve the issue. It all stems from the original TCU software from Mercedes. The software was revises for 2004 and the symptoms are not present on MY2004 C32's.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 PM

Mercedes C32 AMG
I had asked about that here on the forum and never had a response that I recall. I'd be willing to fork out some cash for the TCU flash if it resolved the jerk.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I found a cheap fix for my Transmission Jerk!