C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

I found a cheap fix for my Transmission Jerk!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
^ Owing to this forum, I’ve had the good fortune to befriend ScottW911. A more upstanding and trustworthy man you’ll not likely know.

When his C32 exhibited an intermittent ‘no-start’ failure and MIL/CEL, my first thought was that its CPS had died. A cursory OBD-II scan confirmed the P0335 code.

Have chased a viable solution for torque converter lock-up abruptness since the Mrs. first drove it home with ~45,000 miles.
Flushed its ATF a half-dozen times and replaced (and 'tuned') the TCU/EGS twice. No substantive difference once the 722.6’s lollygag adaptations took over.
Had a local independent shop replace the CPS after hearing of Scott’s results.

Electronics certainly aren’t my forte, though fitting a fresh CPS noticeably reduced the converter’s lock-up jerk.
Probably not to the extent he’s experienced, but a welcomed improvement nonetheless.

I’m still a bit leery to find out exactly what goes on in that $50 piece of hardware.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG Ram 1500 4x4 GSXR600R Track Bike
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
I have the tranny jerk on my C32. I get it pretty often too. It almost sounds like the intake whistles too when I get it... The throttle goes all weird and what not. Anyways, I've got a few other mods up my sleeve but if this really pans out to be the right fix, I will have to do it eventually.
Your car whistles because your intake plenum needs to be tightened. It's e screws that surround the amg symbols on your engine. Get the pepper 8 point (I think) driver and tighten them from the middle out. Prob solved.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:29 AM

C32 AMG Ram 1500 4x4 GSXR600R Track Bike
What I've noticed about my car is, if I accelerate from a stop at a certain speed the tranny jerk don't exist. It's only happens if I baby the car. Maybe Benz is telling us where driving too slow. The c32 was the fastest car mercedes had ever produced when it came out. you might be driving too slow.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
04 C32 AMG (sadly sold), 05 CLK55 Cab, 08 R350 4Matic, 15 GLA250 (sadly bought), 75 VW Westfalia
Just adding a data point, my 04 exhibits the jerk, but only when cold on cold mornings. Warm summer mornings, not noticeable; cold mornings, takes about 3-5 minutes of driving for it to disappear for the day. Makes me doubtful about the CPS-based fix, why would temp have such an influence?

I'm interested in this 'Eurocharged' TCU flash, is it a widely-available fix?
Old 11-18-2011, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by mikev7
Your car whistles because your intake plenum needs to be tightened. It's e screws that surround the amg symbols on your engine. Get the pepper 8 point (I think) driver and tighten them from the middle out. Prob solved.
Really? Is there any specific torque spec? Can anyone second this?
Old 11-18-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
Really? Is there any specific torque spec? Can anyone second this?
20 N/m. T30 torx bit
Old 12-20-2011, 12:24 AM

Mercedes C32 AMG
ok so FINALLY an update. Sorry babies, vacation and business got in the way of things.

We finally installed the Crank sensor tonight. Rather than install from the bottom of the vehicle we went through the top (Only took an hour start to finish)

For me, it did not fix the jerk. However, the car is starting quicker, shifting a bit smoother and the jerk at the moment is noticeably less. It should be noted that we disconnected the battery while changing out the sensor. The "jerk" reduction could simply be from battery being pulled. So has this helped? A little more time will tell and I'll report back.

At the very least it's done and one less thing to replace later on.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Porsche 2004 911
Interesting... I have a CPS on standby for this aswell. The Jerry tune with the s/c cleared up the jerk for me. Only slightly painful until the car is up to temperature then it is good so far...expecting the "jerk" to return sometime.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:17 AM

Mercedes C32 AMG
Well, I drove the car again this morning and I'm sorry to say the Jerk is still there. I still maintain the car is driving smoother and my idle has also improved (it was a bit rough before)

But, unfortunately in my case, this did not fix the dreaded jerk. Best of luck to others that give this ago.

FYI this is the method we used to change the CPS: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-diy-pics.html

So long as you have a nice long extension it is much easier this way IMO than trying to change from the bottom Best of luck
Old 12-20-2011, 09:01 AM

Porsche 2004 911
The TCU tune has been posted to clear up the 'jerk' https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ey-w-tune.html
and this was interesting as well
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...bout-jerk.html
Old 10-12-2012, 12:50 PM

2001 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Budget Baller
I had asked about that here on the forum and never had a response that I recall. I'd be willing to fork out some cash for the TCU flash if it resolved the jerk.
did this work ?????
Old 10-12-2012, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
I have the TCU tune and still have the jerk
Old 10-12-2012, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
I have the TCU tune and the Jerk is gone but am not happy with other issues of the TCU mod. I am told hooking the STAR system to it and clearing the transmission adaptations is suppose to solve the other issues but have yet to have this done.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:31 AM

E55 AMG, Porsche 911 SC
Originally Posted by C_DirtyTwo
I have the TCU tune and still have the jerk
hmm, thats not good. i have heard from some that it fixes the jerk and some where it hasn't. for most cars its more than likely a hardware issue.

my tranny jerk started after I installed my EC 65mm pulley. i'm going to try reassembling the front of my S/C like this : https://mbworld.org/forums/4462798-post103.html and see if it can fix hiccup.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Many of us have suffered for years with the dreaded Tranny Jerk. I, myself, have fought with this affliction since the day I bought my car. There have been dozens of threads here, complaining about it. Here is mine, covering several years of frustrations:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ml#post4489898

Some people have claimed to have found a solution:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...d-finally.html

I have used the ECU reset to temporarily alleviate some of the harshness of the jerk over the years. But, today I have NO MORE JERK! (the solution in a moment)

At first, I was tending to believe that the fix was just a figment of my imagination, wishful thinking of sorts. Today, I received confirmation from another member here, none other than the esteemed splinter, that this works.

Ready? Here is the complicated fix...........

Replace your CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor).

You're welcome.

OK, so you need more? I was experiencing the typical failing CPS symptoms (engine cranking without a start, CEL lit for the next 3-4 starts, Code P0335). I purchased a new Bosch CPS online and had it installed last week. Upon driving out of the garage, I noticed the smoothness of my car. Prior to this, not only did I have the tranny jerk but, the general smoothness of the on-off tendencies of the throttle were less than luxurious. All of a sudden, my 10 year old car felt brand new again, with lots of supercharged zip to boot.

I told splinter about my revelation and excitement. He "preemptively" ordered a new CPS and text me this morning that he noticed a marked change in the transmission jerk, too. (splinter, please chime in here with your experience)

All I can say is, I am in love with my car all over again. I have no complaints about the (previously) awful transmission. This is the best $140 I've spent on my car (yes, I got a smoking deal on the part and labor).

Do it. You won't be dissatisfied with the results.

$40 from my supplier.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:23 AM

E55 AMG, Porsche 911 SC
Originally Posted by benzmodz
$40 from my supplier.
for that price i might as well replace the CPS and see what happens. what is the install procedure?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Ken311
for that price i might as well replace the CPS and see what happens. what is the install procedure?
Unplug harness. Release e-torx bolt. Remove sensor. Attach bolt. Attach harness.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Many of us have suffered for years with the dreaded Tranny Jerk. I, myself, have fought with this affliction since the day I bought my car. There have been dozens of threads here, complaining about it. Here is mine, covering several years of frustrations:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ml#post4489898

Some people have claimed to have found a solution:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...d-finally.html

I have used the ECU reset to temporarily alleviate some of the harshness of the jerk over the years. But, today I have NO MORE JERK! (the solution in a moment)

At first, I was tending to believe that the fix was just a figment of my imagination, wishful thinking of sorts. Today, I received confirmation from another member here, none other than the esteemed splinter, that this works.

Ready? Here is the complicated fix...........

Replace your CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor).

You're welcome.

OK, so you need more? I was experiencing the typical failing CPS symptoms (engine cranking without a start, CEL lit for the next 3-4 starts, Code P0335). I purchased a new Bosch CPS online and had it installed last week. Upon driving out of the garage, I noticed the smoothness of my car. Prior to this, not only did I have the tranny jerk but, the general smoothness of the on-off tendencies of the throttle were less than luxurious. All of a sudden, my 10 year old car felt brand new again, with lots of supercharged zip to boot.

I told splinter about my revelation and excitement. He "preemptively" ordered a new CPS and text me this morning that he noticed a marked change in the transmission jerk, too. (splinter, please chime in here with your experience)

All I can say is, I am in love with my car all over again. I have no complaints about the (previously) awful transmission. This is the best $140 I've spent on my car (yes, I got a smoking deal on the part and labor).

Do it. You won't be dissatisfied with the results.
You posted this up about a year ago? How's the CPS fix still working for you. Update or banned!!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:31 PM

E55 AMG, Porsche 911 SC
In my case, changing the CPS didn't fix the jerk. I had a few shims taken out of my supercharger pulley to fix the supercharger "chirp" today and the ECU had a few error codes that were related to the throttle actuator (throttle body).

Apparently the voltage coming from the original unit was spiking all over the place and was the culprit of my lower rpm jerks/hiccups. After driving the car around for a bit after having had it replaced I am amazed how much smoother the throttle input and shifting is.

I recommend everyone who has issues with the low rpm jerk to take your car to a shop or use your own OBDII reader and see if any codes with the words "throttle" or "throttle actuator" in the description come up. If they do, chances are this is the problem. Keep in mind this issue will not throw a CEL until something completely fails. I chose to have a new one installed but I have heard you can buy rebuilt units online for as low as $400. The install is about one hour.

Also, if you have a "chirp" sound at low rpm, remove the S/C pulley and remove a few shims to shrink the gap between the face of the S/C clutch and the S/C pulley. Correct gap spec is .25-.30mm.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:27 AM

E55 AMG, Porsche 911 SC
Here is the post that explains the fix for the supercharger chirp.

https://mbworld.org/forums/4462798-post103.html

I experienced reduced low rpm jerk/hesitation after gapping the pulley correctly. Though the replacement of the actuator removed it in its entirety.