C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

FS: 2002 C32 AMG, 49,XXX MILES. $17,300 OBO.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by rbcjr
Im in mass and i recently have seen a 02 c32 with 80000 miles for 12000.00,and a 02 c32 with 55000 miles for 16000.00 so i believe your in the right ballpark.As far as c55s for that price i dont think so,all the c55s i see are 20-25000.00.
someone made me an offer of $30k for my car saturday. well...long story, but MTV sort of made me the offer. i'll be picking up an E55 this year anyways for close to that price.

OP, your car is rare. there should be no reason why you should keep on lowering the price, especially in the condition your car is in. list it on craigslist or the other sites you were talking about for that $17,000 price and see what you get. i'm all for cars being sold for people getting the right amount of money for the right kind of cars. i'm tired of seeing people selling there cars on her efor dirt cheap because people say they're worthless. make the sale correctly, you have positive things on your side that scarcely ever show up on the market.

Last edited by MIKESV8; 10-17-2011 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by ryad32
Thanks for posting, I agree with you that these cars are a steal of deal for the power.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
I'm the second owner of my C32 and I recently bought it for well over 10K. I do think that these cars hold their value well but at the same time I do think they are a steal of a deal for the power.
If a car depreciates to only be worth ~20% of it's original sticker within the first 10 years, I'd consider that not holding its value well. Admittedly, such conclusions are inherently subjective.

With all due respect, being surprised if my car sold for over "about 12K" shows a lack of knowledge on your end similar to how you think my asking price is 4K+ over its top end value. Simply put, if i wanted to just give it away i'd list it at 12K and sit by my computer and wait (and I wouldn't have to wait for very long), but im trying to sell it so im listing it at 16.1K OBO. Check the other postings on this thread to see the prices they found and your reading comprehension skills should hopefully lead you to conclude that my asking price is reasonable. If you cant take that away from your reading then you just might realize that my car is still easily worth more than 12K.

With your knowledge on cars, it should not come as a surprise to you that by modifying a C32 to the extent that you have with yours, limits the number of prospective buyers. Consequently, with less buyers you would struggle to find someone to hand over $15K. Just a thought. That is unless you go through the hassle, time and labor of bringing your car back to stock then selling it. At that point you could try to recoup some cash by selling your mods/parts but now ur spending a lot more of your valuable time trying to sell multiple items. Im not against modding at all, im just staying on topic regarding resale value.

Thank you for your input, and the news flash on the current state of affairs of the economy, employment, and the weather. I didn't realize winter was coming. I will keep those things in mind when negotiating with potential buyers.
You're welcome - after all, this isn't the classifieds section... this is the general C32, C55 AMG subforum. Anywho, you started this thread seeking $17.3k, right? When posters like jturkel expressed you had "no shot" of getting that (which was the post I replied to, because I was agreeing with his post), you dropped your asking price by over a thousand dollars, within the first day or two.

In the end, only you can decide what your floor is, only you know how desperate you are to sell, etc. Those are big factors in determining how quickly your car moves, and at what price. Performance-oriented, high hp/tq RWD sports cars and sports sedans see demand fall in the fall/winter, and then bump up in the spring/summer... the values fluctuate accordingly. Assuming no significant changes to the listing, you'd probably fetch more money for your car in April/May, than Oct/Nov... just the way it is (in areas with 4 seasons, anyway, IMHO).

Have you called any dealerships, maybe Euromotors in Bethesda, to see what they'd offer you for the car? If nothing else, it might be a useful data point for you to consider. While a bone-stock C32 might sell faster than a modified one (debateable), in either case you probably need a cash buyer, because the vast majority of financial institutions won't finance a car older than about 7-8 years. They also won't finance for over 100% of what their used-guide value claims the value to be, regardless of whatever individuals (buyers or sellers) might think.

In the end, other than simple curiosity, I really don't care about how much you can sell your car for, or how quickly it occurs. I did (repeatedly) say it should be at the top-end for '02 C32s, I hope you can get top-dollar for it and would love to be wrong with my earlier assumption. And who knows, maybe I was wrong/too-low, and you wind up getting something like $14.5k for it. Or, maybe someone wants it so bad, they call you up right now and offer your full (new) asking price of $16.1k. If the timing's just right, and that one buyer is out there willing... that's all that matters.

Again, GLWS. You'll be happy to know, this is my last post in this thread... you may gladly have the last word.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
@Nachtsturm

If we lived in Viper98912's dream world would you be interested in opening up an exotic cars dealership together? ... i guess a little but i think we're both saying the same thing. Thanks for the input, cheers man
I think we should start a dealership by you selling me your car for 10k. Be advised once I purchase your car 10K, I will close the dealership down.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
If a car depreciates to only be worth ~20% of it's original sticker within the first 10 years, I'd consider that not holding its value well. Admittedly, such conclusions are inherently subjective.

You're welcome - after all, this isn't the classifieds section... this is the general C32, C55 AMG subforum. Anywho, you started this thread seeking $17.3k, right? When posters like jturkel expressed you had "no shot" of getting that (which was the post I replied to, because I was agreeing with his post), you dropped your asking price by over a thousand dollars, within the first day or two.

In the end, only you can decide what your floor is, only you know how desperate you are to sell, etc. Those are big factors in determining how quickly your car moves, and at what price. Performance-oriented, high hp/tq RWD sports cars and sports sedans see demand fall in the fall/winter, and then bump up in the spring/summer... the values fluctuate accordingly. Assuming no significant changes to the listing, you'd probably fetch more money for your car in April/May, than Oct/Nov... just the way it is (in areas with 4 seasons, anyway, IMHO).

Have you called any dealerships, maybe Euromotors in Bethesda, to see what they'd offer you for the car? If nothing else, it might be a useful data point for you to consider. While a bone-stock C32 might sell faster than a modified one (debateable), in either case you probably need a cash buyer, because the vast majority of financial institutions won't finance a car older than about 7-8 years. They also won't finance for over 100% of what their used-guide value claims the value to be, regardless of whatever individuals (buyers or sellers) might think.

In the end, other than simple curiosity, I really don't care about how much you can sell your car for, or how quickly it occurs. I did (repeatedly) say it should be at the top-end for '02 C32s, I hope you can get top-dollar for it and would love to be wrong with my earlier assumption. And who knows, maybe I was wrong/too-low, and you wind up getting something like $14.5k for it. Or, maybe someone wants it so bad, they call you up right now and offer your full (new) asking price of $16.1k. If the timing's just right, and that one buyer is out there willing... that's all that matters.

Again, GLWS. You'll be happy to know, this is my last post in this thread... you may gladly have the last word.
IN light of this debate, whats an 04 with ONLY 39 K miles (modded) worth?? I KNOW I have the good radiator (does he ^^^??? ) , my seat heaters all work (do his??? ^^) and its been dealer maintained. I don't have Comand, BUT do have the Bi-Xs which are worth a lot more than any Navi!!

My Philly brother is absolutely correct in that your 02 COULD fetch what you ask. Possible YES, Probable NO!!! My car, which is also an 04 (2 MY years newer than the 02) would probably fetch no more than $12-$15 K max and its got 11 K less miles than yours. Now that we're all dreaming, lets just ask what we THINK our cars are worth, forget the market place!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Newzchspy
IN light of this debate, whats an 04 with ONLY 39 K miles (modded) worth?? I KNOW I have the good radiator (does he ^^^??? ) , my seat heaters all work (do his??? ^^) and its been dealer maintained. I don't have Comand, BUT do have the Bi-Xs which are worth a lot more than any Navi!!

My Philly brother is absolutely correct in that your 02 COULD fetch what you ask. Possible YES, Probable NO!!! My car, which is also an 04 (2 MY years newer than the 02) would probably fetch no more than $12-$15 K max and its got 11 K less miles than yours. Now that we're all dreaming, lets just ask what we THINK our cars are worth, forget the market place!!!
I will gladly give you 12k for your car.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
I will gladly give you 12k for your car.

Thanks, BUT not selling. However, would I take $12 for an 04 with 39 K miles? Prolly NOT, BUT I guess I could ask $40K
Old 10-18-2011, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Thanks, BUT not selling. However, would I take $12 for an 04 with 39 K miles? Prolly NOT, BUT I guess I could ask $40K
12k is all you are going to get.

I would take the deal.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
With all due respect, being surprised if my car sold for over "about 12K" shows a lack of knowledge on your end similar to how you think my asking price is 4K+ over its top end value. Simply put, if i wanted to just give it away i'd list it at 12K and sit by my computer and wait (and I wouldn't have to wait for very long), but im trying to sell it so im listing it at 16.1K OBO. Check the other postings on this thread to see the prices they found and your reading comprehension skills should hopefully lead you to conclude that my asking price is reasonable. If you cant take that away from your reading then you just might realize that my car is still easily worth more than 12K.

With your knowledge on cars, it should not come as a surprise to you that by modifying a C32 to the extent that you have with yours, limits the number of prospective buyers. Consequently, with less buyers you would struggle to find someone to hand over $15K. Just a thought. That is unless you go through the hassle, time and labor of bringing your car back to stock then selling it. At that point you could try to recoup some cash by selling your mods/parts but now ur spending a lot more of your valuable time trying to sell multiple items. Im not against modding at all, im just staying on topic regarding resale value.

Thank you for your input, and the news flash on the current state of affairs of the economy, employment, and the weather. I didn't realize winter was coming. I will keep those things in mind when negotiating with potential buyers.
I think there are a few ways to look at this. On one hand, it is a 10 year old, 2 generation ago vehicle that has some reliability issues. No lie there. But on the other hand, where are you going to find a car that offers this level of performance, even in a new C-Class or 3 Series BMW? At least in terms of raw numbers, these cars have held up pretty well.

Also, people are willing to pay a small fortune for primitive muscle cars with far inferior acceleration, much less handling and braking. So values of older cars can based on more than the age of the technology.

But that doesn't really apply to the C32 at this point. Because there's no nostolgia for these cars yet, you're left with used car market realities. At 12k, you're starting to get into the "why bother?" range. I guess it depends on how bad you want to sell it. Unless you're dead broke and need the cash, it might make sense to hold onto it for awhile, especially with 49k miles on it. Give this 5-6 years and there might be a different reality, especially with the low production of the C32.

Last edited by Slater126; 10-19-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by michael kuzni
someone made me an offer of $30k for my car saturday. well...long story, but MTV sort of made me the offer. i'll be picking up an E55 this year anyways for close to that price.

OP, your car is rare. there should be no reason why you should keep on lowering the price, especially in the condition your car is in. list it on craigslist or the other sites you were talking about for that $17,000 price and see what you get. i'm all for cars being sold for people getting the right amount of money for the right kind of cars. i'm tired of seeing people selling there cars on her efor dirt cheap because people say they're worthless. make the sale correctly, you have positive things on your side that scarcely ever show up on the market.
Couldn't have said it better myself
Old 10-19-2011, 04:28 AM

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
well there is a difference between a private seller price and a dealer price to really know how much your car is worth take it to a dealership ask them how much they will give you for it then add 2k for anything over 10k and 1k for anything over 6k and 500 for anything below that............... you guys can keep dreaming on the fact is that c32s are worth as much as somebody is willing to pay for it as for me i know i wont get anything over 10k for mine so im just going to drive it till the wheels fall off, after that i will take the motor out and make fun dune buggy lol