Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
So my friend wants this car?

Hey All,

So my friend has a Mazda RX8 with sway bars and Volk GTS wheels blah blah blah. It's a good looking car and very good with corners, the thing is, it is pretty slow. It has a four speed auto and has less than 200BHP.

He wants to get a BMW 330i with the ZHP (performance package). I don't think he will ever step foot into the MB community.

What do you guys think about this car compared to the C32? How is the handling going to compare? I haven't driven a 330i so I can't compare myself.

Obviously, the power is almost twice in my C32 so don't worry about that.

I read up on E46 fanatics and a lot of people actually like the C32. I expected it to be a bunch of fan boys routing for the M3.

Any other cars that I could mention to my friend that would handle well and are under 14k or so?
Old 02-16-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2019 C43 AMG
I would recommend that car. I owned an E46, a 2004 330ci ZHP. Aside from my recently purchased C55 it was my favorite car and I have owned multiple BMWs including an 07 335i which aside from the power was terrible in comparison with the E46. How much mileage is on the car? Hope it is a 6-spd manual, makes the car much more enjoyable with the power. Also make sure to get the subframes checked if it has 50k+ miles (which my guess is it does) as this is the most common issue, along with some VANOS related issues. I took my ZHP up over 100k miles and never had a major issue with it!! He will enjoy it more than the RX-8 which is fun in the twisties for sure but no comparison to the ZHP.

Last edited by AlabasterC55; 02-16-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e36 318i, 2004 sti
The 330 has a lot of known problems. The automatic in it has LOTS of problems! Actually a GM tranny sealed box. They are nice cars when they work. The power of course like you said is nothing like the c32. My C350 outruns the 330i easily.

Regarding to E46 finatics, Everytime I log in over there trying to set up a Euro car meet, they start ranting about how AMG's are old man cars that just have big engines and cannot turn... One told me it would be very dangerous to let them near MB owners (quite interesting how fast that was said)... I can go really deep into this. Even got nurburg times out showing that the E46 M3 (coupe of course) did the same track time as the C55 amg (A 4 door sedan) to the hundreth of a second. Nothing against bmw owners but almost everyone I meet with a bmw is cocky and arrogant.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
On the W211 AMG Forum, one member almost lost his friendship to a envious BMW M3 owner
Old 02-16-2012, 05:29 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
e46 330 zhp is a nice car. handling of course is better than the w203 if you don't have a lot of suspension upgrades for the 203. steering is always better. for the size of the car it has enough power to play with. BUT speaking from experience with my 328ci the e46 do have a lot of nagging small issues. If the particular car doesn't have them it'll be a great car.

lol, i never had issue with e46fanatics crowd. lots of my friends were on there.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:51 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Multiple
Bimmers handle well, but almost all non-turbo ones are WAYY down on torque. Bottom line: unless I am looking for a track car, I will never own a small Bimmer again, they are hard work in every day life. Then again your friend is going from an RX8 which makes what 100 ft-ls? He will like the ZHP.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
My buddy has got a Volvo S60 R.. Its around the $14k price tag and has got 300 hp and 300 lb ft.. Awd, so it handles pretty well and also some what luxurious..
Old 02-17-2012, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Find a nice E36 M3.

330i ZHP over all is a stout car, does have some specific problems though. Can't remember what though. Valve train? Still wouldn't keep me from buying one. Nice cars.

Also, dare I recommend an Audi TT?
Old 02-17-2012, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by AlabasterC55
I would recommend that car. I owned an E46, a 2004 330ci ZHP. Aside from my recently purchased C55 it was my favorite car and I have owned multiple BMWs including an 07 335i which aside from the power was terrible in comparison with the E46. How much mileage is on the car? Hope it is a 6-spd manual, makes the car much more enjoyable with the power. Also make sure to get the subframes checked if it has 50k+ miles (which my guess is it does) as this is the most common issue, along with some VANOS related issues. I took my ZHP up over 100k miles and never had a major issue with it!! He will enjoy it more than the RX-8 which is fun in the twisties for sure but no comparison to the ZHP.
Yeah, he knows about the subframe issue. A few of my friends have E46's. Both M and Ci, so the subframe issue will be addressed. I love the look of the car, and hopefully he will enjoy it.

Originally Posted by MBfinatic
The 330 has a lot of known problems. The automatic in it has LOTS of problems! Actually a GM tranny sealed box. They are nice cars when they work. The power of course like you said is nothing like the c32. My C350 outruns the 330i easily.

He doesn't want an auto so he shouldn't have to worry about the GM box. He has an auto now and hates it. But yeah they do, they drink oil like no tomorrow, have vanos problems, and the subframe issue. Hopefully he won't get a lemon.

Regarding to E46 finatics, Everytime I log in over there trying to set up a Euro car meet, they start ranting about how AMG's are old man cars that just have big engines and cannot turn... One told me it would be very dangerous to let them near MB owners (quite interesting how fast that was said)... I can go really deep into this. Even got nurburg times out showing that the E46 M3 (coupe of course) did the same track time as the C55 amg (A 4 door sedan) to the hundreth of a second. Nothing against bmw owners but almost everyone I meet with a bmw is cocky and arrogant.
I think it's just the crowd on E46 fanatics. There are a few who know their stuff, but other than that it's just a bunch of fanboys. There are much better BMW forums out there such as M3post.

Originally Posted by FrankW
e46 330 zhp is a nice car. handling of course is better than the w203 if you don't have a lot of suspension upgrades for the 203. steering is always better. for the size of the car it has enough power to play with. BUT speaking from experience with my 328ci the e46 do have a lot of nagging small issues. If the particular car doesn't have them it'll be a great car.

lol, i never had issue with e46fanatics crowd. lots of my friends were on there.
Really? I know the steering will be better for sure. The ZHP steering rack is even better than the M3's... IDK what BMW was thinking lol

Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Bimmers handle well, but almost all non-turbo ones are WAYY down on torque. Bottom line: unless I am looking for a track car, I will never own a small Bimmer again, they are hard work in every day life. Then again your friend is going from an RX8 which makes what 100 ft-ls? He will like the ZHP.
Yeah the low power and torque are killing him lol

Originally Posted by AKnight55
My buddy has got a Volvo S60 R.. Its around the $14k price tag and has got 300 hp and 300 lb ft.. Awd, so it handles pretty well and also some what luxurious..
I don't think he want's a Volvo lol he's set on BMW.

Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
Find a nice E36 M3.

330i ZHP over all is a stout car, does have some specific problems though. Can't remember what though. Valve train? Still wouldn't keep me from buying one. Nice cars.

Also, dare I recommend an Audi TT?
He won't go for an E36 M3, our buddy already has one. Plus, he thinks the car looks too old.

I don't blame him, I'd go for the ZHP any day over an E36. If I were to get a small car like that, it would be and S2k for sure.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I like those, I'd say go for it as long as it's the stick shift. Unfortunately I don't have any insight as to how it stacks up against a C32. I'll probably pick up an e46 M3 or e39 M5 one of these days. I owned an S60 T5 and have driven the R as well, they are pretty nice and I wouldn't rule them out unless you just have to have the bimmer.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
He won't go for an E36 M3, our buddy already has one. Plus, he thinks the car looks too old.

I don't blame him, I'd go for the ZHP any day over an E36. If I were to get a small car like that, it would be and S2k for sure.
I had a 2000 S2k, out of the 49 cars I have had, except for a beater, it was my least favorite car. Had it one month too long.

Sadly, I would take a mint e36 m3 over a ZHP any day. Still has one of the best driver/machine connections out of any cars to date IMO.

What about a Mini Cooper S?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
Originally Posted by AKnight55
A friend of mine owned one for a while, It had the Evolve front bumper, tune, and exhaust. Pretty fun car to drive and has the three setting adjustable suspension, I liked it.
Its not "just a volvo" it has brembo brakes and a few other cool additives, nice car for sure
Old 02-18-2012, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 C32 AMG
Yeah I was looking at the S60R before I bought the C32. It's a good looking Volvo, but I guess I'm happy with my C32, it probably runs faster as well.