Experience with Intercooler Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32, 911 SC
Experience with Intercooler Replacement

Hi everyone,

I first noticed that my IC might be leaking when I would lose coolant at a rate of 1-2 quarts per week I opened the intake plenums (the one with AMG logo), and noticed gunk on both sides of the intake runners confirming my uncertainty. I was also suspicious, because a modded SRT-4 Caliber was able to keep up with me from 0-60

New IC was going for $1,500-ish, but I was able to get one from OverDrive (thanks man!), which was gently used before he went with Code 3. I will add that his IC looked pretty much brand new and arrived within 4 days.

While I had my SC off, I decided to might as well upgrade/replace:
1. SC oil (aircraftspruce)
2. Needswings cork upper intake manifold gaskets (Needswings)
3. Needswings cork SC-IC gasket (Needswings)
4. MB OEM lower intake manifold gaskets (Dealer)
5. MB OEM secondary air injection gaskets (Dealer)
6. Upper Y-pipe from V8K to replace my DIY Code 3 T-pipe

I used the instructions from Boohooramblers (https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...placement.html).

The removal was pretty straight forward. Couple of points to note:
1. I had an issue with removal of a vacuum hose that connects to the supercharger snout (picture below). The hose is very hard, I ended up cutting it with a saw and reconnected it with a fuel injection hose.
Experience with Intercooler Replacement-img_0921.jpg
I think I am still getting minor vacuum leak from this hose, therefore I decided to order from MB, which costed me $59 just for a hose! Oh well, live and learn I guess.
2. Six electrical connectors for the fuel injectors were a pain in the bottom to remove. If you plan to do this, I would suggest spraying some dielectric greaser.
3. MB Sealant was also a pain to apply, I should have purchased the caulk gun from Needswings as suggested by Rob.
4. Seafoam works wonders in cleaning the gunk from the engine and everything else.
5. Some of the bolts have different length for the same part, I would suggest creating a diagram and label it appropriately.
6. You would need two people or a hoist with a special bracket to lift the SC and IC, unless if you're a machine.

FYI, upon talking to Rob, he mentioned the correlation of the higher-flowing Johnson CM30 IC pump with failing intercooler. He has seen it on some customers' cars and always suggested to just replace it with OEM Bosch pump. I might do that really soon.

I would like to just mention that Rob went above and beyond just selling me the gaskets and called it good, I emailed him at 11 pm and he replied five minutes later! He was also always there to answer even the most mundane questions. I would recommend Needswings to everyone.

All in all, it took me around 24 work hours to do this, but that includes cleaning all of the crap from intake runners, intake walls, plenums, throttle body, supercharger, valve covers, drain coolant, etc. I would recommend this DIY to anyone with basic mechanical skills

The car drives much better than before, I think the leak causes my car to lose around 50 hp I still cannot decide if I like the Y-pipe over Code 3 Intake. The Y-pipe makes the car sound like raped ape, while Code 3 just sounds cool, because you can hear any throttle response.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
+1 for bravery. And +1 for recommending Rob.
I don't agree however with the connection between Johnson CM30 and the Intercooler failure. My first intercooler failed shortly after the original Bosch failed and the second intecooler outlived the Johnson pump I put in place of the Bosch. I think the issue is that once the pump fails, the higher temps compromise the intercooler core. Maybe Gen2 OEM Bosch is more reliable but the original Bosch failed often. So, if you replace your original pump with Johnson but the intercooler was already compromised, it looks like it was the fault of the Johnson pump. I haven't heard of too many intercooler problems with the original working Bosch still in place. But that's just my theory.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
your missing the locking tab for the black hose. it goes over the red part. squeeze it in on the sides and the line pulls out.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:21 PM

'13 Dodge Dart, '16 Audi Q5
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
your missing the locking tab for the black hose. it goes over the red part. squeeze it in on the sides and the line pulls out.
+1

If you have the locking tab on there I don't think you would be seeing any leaks.

Well done on the work, and I completely agree that Rob goes above and beyond all the time for his customers.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:49 PM

Volvo
NP, Seems like your install went without any major hickups. Ya its a pain to take out the S/C but I manage to do it by myself, its at least 80-100lb's but its so bulky so its hard to handle
Old 04-15-2012, 03:36 PM

C32, 911 SC
Thanks everyone,

The pic was taken before I took the hose off, and the locking tab was off the picture.

I still had to wait for 1-2 weeks before the replacement hose comes from germany, therefore the car currently has an oversized hose that goes over the protrusion and the original hose. I couldn' put the locking tab over the connecting hose and just resorted to duct tape for now

Lenin, it might be true about cm30 not affecting ic leakage, perhaps we can ask high milage c32s on whether they have to replace ic at all despite different ic pumps being used.

On another note, I was ready to sell the c32 before this, but after replacing the ic, I think I will hang onto it. I test drove a stock E55k but felt no difference with my 32 from 0-80 ish.

Last edited by ddtham; 04-15-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ddtham
Thanks everyone,

The pic was taken before I took the hose off, and the locking tab was off the picture.

I still had to wait for 1-2 weeks before the replacement hose comes from germany, therefore the car currently has an oversized hose that goes over the protrusion and the original hose. I couldn' put the locking tab over the connecting hose and just resorted to duct tape for now

Lenin, it might be true about cm30 not affecting ic leakage, perhaps we can ask high milage c32s on whether they have to replace ic at all despite different ic pumps being used.

On another note, I was ready to sell the c32 before this, but after replacing the ic, I think I will hang onto it. I test drove a stock E55k but felt no difference with my 32 from 0-80 ish.
Well... I'm at 130K miles. I also think that a big factor towards IC reliability may also be a split cooling setup. If the system is de-pressurized, it should help reliabilty.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shelby GT500
Hi everyone,

I first noticed that my IC might be leaking when I would lose coolant at a rate of 1-2 quarts per week I opened the intake plenums (the one with AMG logo), and noticed gunk on both sides of the intake runners confirming my uncertainty. I was also suspicious, because a modded SRT-4 Caliber was able to keep up with me from 0-60

New IC was going for $1,500-ish, but I was able to get one from OverDrive (thanks man!), which was gently used before he went with Code 3. I will add that his IC looked pretty much brand new and arrived within 4 days.

While I had my SC off, I decided to might as well upgrade/replace:
1. SC oil (aircraftspruce)
2. Needswings cork upper intake manifold gaskets (Needswings)
3. Needswings cork SC-IC gasket (Needswings)
4. MB OEM lower intake manifold gaskets (Dealer)
5. MB OEM secondary air injection gaskets (Dealer)
6. Upper Y-pipe from V8K to replace my DIY Code 3 T-pipe

I used the instructions from Boohooramblers (https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...placement.html).

The removal was pretty straight forward. Couple of points to note:
1. I had an issue with removal of a vacuum hose that connects to the supercharger snout (picture below). The hose is very hard, I ended up cutting it with a saw and reconnected it with a fuel injection hose.

I think I am still getting minor vacuum leak from this hose, therefore I decided to order from MB, which costed me $59 just for a hose! Oh well, live and learn I guess.
2. Six electrical connectors for the fuel injectors were a pain in the bottom to remove. If you plan to do this, I would suggest spraying some dielectric greaser.
3. MB Sealant was also a pain to apply, I should have purchased the caulk gun from Needswings as suggested by Rob.
4. Seafoam works wonders in cleaning the gunk from the engine and everything else.
5. Some of the bolts have different length for the same part, I would suggest creating a diagram and label it appropriately.
6. You would need two people or a hoist with a special bracket to lift the SC and IC, unless if you're a machine.

FYI, upon talking to Rob, he mentioned the correlation of the higher-flowing Johnson CM30 IC pump with failing intercooler. He has seen it on some customers' cars and always suggested to just replace it with OEM Bosch pump. I might do that really soon.

I would like to just mention that Rob went above and beyond just selling me the gaskets and called it good, I emailed him at 11 pm and he replied five minutes later! He was also always there to answer even the most mundane questions. I would recommend Needswings to everyone.

All in all, it took me around 24 work hours to do this, but that includes cleaning all of the crap from intake runners, intake walls, plenums, throttle body, supercharger, valve covers, drain coolant, etc. I would recommend this DIY to anyone with basic mechanical skills

The car drives much better than before, I think the leak causes my car to lose around 50 hp I still cannot decide if I like the Y-pipe over Code 3 Intake. The Y-pipe makes the car sound like raped ape, while Code 3 just sounds cool, because you can hear any throttle response.
Just FYI to remove the vacuum line that goes to the brake booster the only thing you had to do was press that red bushing inside and pull the hose
Old 05-07-2012, 11:25 PM

WTB C32 intercooler
Wanted to buy ASAP C32 intercooler for my 2002 C32 AMG. Prefer new or new condition.

Please email me call or text
Effinboss@gmail.com
Cell: 401-480-5201
Old 06-14-2013, 12:51 PM

C32, 911 SC
I thought I would give an update on my recent intercooler woes again. As some of you know, my intercooler started leaking again couple of months ago. The good thing was my expectation was low, because I bought the last unit used.

Right around the same time, Rudy Compart completed his beautiful custom intercooler as some of you might have seen on srt forum

I figured that I might as well perform maintenance while waiting for Rudy to build the intercooler (set aside 2-3 weeks after ordering). So, I purchased the following from Needswings:
1. Valve cover gaskets
2. NGK One step colder plugs
3. OEM Bosch wires
4. Intercooler gasket replacement set

My oil cooler was also leaking oil when cold, that's why there were plenty of cruds on the engine bay.
Experience with Intercooler Replacement-ic1_zps9e80dbc4.jpg

It took me 30 minutes to take out the intercooler, fuel rail, valve covers, etc. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my valve train is very clean without any burned oil.
Experience with Intercooler Replacement-ic3_zps59668e19.jpg

I bought a lot of engine degreasers to clean the engine bay. I even polished the oil cooler (oil cooler o rings are available at your local dealer for $49 ).
Experience with Intercooler Replacement-oilcooler_zpsd109c149.jpg

I ended up painting the valve covers in red and the valve cover breathers in black.
Experience with Intercooler Replacement-ic4_zpsd0ead6e2.jpg

After waiting for 2.5 weeks, my new intercooler arrived... woohoo! Rudy did a beautiful work on the intercooler and everything fits like a glove. I weighed it against the stock Garrett unit and was happy to report that it is 2 pounds lighter.
Experience with Intercooler Replacement-ic5_zpsf0ba64aa.jpg

Experience with Intercooler Replacement-ic6_zpsd66e4778.jpg

Experience with Intercooler Replacement-ic7_zps54aec3b5.jpg

Experience with Intercooler Replacement-ic8_zps94524b08.jpg

All done!
Experience with Intercooler Replacement-ic9_zpsee8b20e6.jpg

Experience with Intercooler Replacement-ic10_zps50b08285.jpg

I also received an updated tune from Jerry at Eurocharged and was very happy to report that the car pulls much harder from mid and upper ranges. The best part is, the IC helps in keeping it cool and I can do multiple pulls one after the other without heat soaking. I will do dyno runs and keep you guys updated. Thanks for looking!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's great to see a member doing the work himself with great result.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRT-6
Originally Posted by Lenin
Looks great! Mine is currently apart on the desk awaiting a few gaskets. I had a shop do my intercooler replacement the first time and I'm doing the work myself this time. It's actually a simple job as long as you know how things come apart and go together. I wish Rudy's I/C was available when I needed a new one.

Les
Old 06-17-2013, 06:25 PM

C32, 911 SC
Originally Posted by Lenin
Thanks, man! I think it is very rewarding to be able to ensure that everything is in working order and within specifications. It is much cheaper also!

Originally Posted by Velociabstract
Looks great! Mine is currently apart on the desk awaiting a few gaskets. I had a shop do my intercooler replacement the first time and I'm doing the work myself this time. It's actually a simple job as long as you know how things come apart and go together. I wish Rudy's I/C was available when I needed a new one.

Les
Good luck Les,

Take lots of pictures for reference and label all bolts correctly would be my suggestions. Rudy's ic is truly a work of art, he is also honest about timelines and expectations.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:42 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Ddtham. Thanks for the post. The red valve covers look great. I am using yours and Boohoo ramblers posts as a guideline for doing mine. Rudy is making the IC now and then drop ships to Rob for thermal coating.

Any tips that didnt get included, now that you look back on it?

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Something Slow
im in the Process of doing mines I removed my Supercharger Just to replace my TB Wire harness & MAP Sensor and found some gunky Stuff on the back.. this looks like a leak idk :-(
Attached Thumbnails Experience with Intercooler Replacement-ic-1.jpg   Experience with Intercooler Replacement-ic-2.jpg   Experience with Intercooler Replacement-ic-3.jpg  
Old 08-22-2014, 04:18 PM

C32, 911 SC
Originally Posted by Ropeman6
Ddtham. Thanks for the post. The red valve covers look great. I am using yours and Boohoo ramblers posts as a guideline for doing mine. Rudy is making the IC now and then drop ships to Rob for thermal coating.

Any tips that didnt get included, now that you look back on it?

Thanks.
Hi Ropeman,

I would replace the two short AMG-specific hoses that connects the intercooler with the aluminum coolant pipes. They are pricey, but are known to leak after some time.

On a side note, I sold my C32 last month and I still missed it daily ( good luck with yours!
Old 08-22-2014, 04:21 PM

C32, 911 SC
Originally Posted by WaveyKat
im in the Process of doing mines I removed my Supercharger Just to replace my TB Wire harness & MAP Sensor and found some gunky Stuff on the back.. this looks like a leak idk :-(
Waveykat,

That is indeed a leak mine leaked from the same spot as yours.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
Waveykat,

That is indeed a leak mine leaked from the same spot as yours.
Yep sure is but at least I found it before the surge tanks and other parts got really gunky.

Intercooler picture below
Attached Thumbnails Experience with Intercooler Replacement-image.jpg  
Old 08-25-2014, 10:30 PM

2002 C32 AMG
I noticed the same gunk on my intakes. I am going to replace the hoses as you suggest. No sense tearing it that far apart and not fix everything.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
can someone tell me what is this Hole For (Circle In Red? and does anything Goes There?

thank in advance..
Attached Thumbnails Experience with Intercooler Replacement-c32-motor.jpg  
Old 10-04-2014, 08:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63 E63
Looks like its the secondary air injection port
Old 10-04-2014, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
Well there's already has a hole for the secondary injection port this was an extra port which I'm not sure what goes there I can't remember removing anything from there. I'm in the process of replacing my intercooler.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WaveyKat
Well there's already has a hole for the secondary injection port this was an extra port which I'm not sure what goes there I can't remember removing anything from there. I'm in the process of replacing my intercooler.
This opening is only on the driver side. Not sure what it is for but nothing goes there. I had the same reaction when I first took things apart.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
OK great was waiting for you to reply thanks
Old 05-03-2015, 09:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C32, 03 ML55
What happens if you have a leaking intercooler and you simply route the coolant around it so that there is no opportunity for it to leak any more? What is the resulting impact? The air going into the engine is less cool? I can't imagine (I am no expert and honestly dont know the inner workings of how the intercooler is designed and is supposed to work) that air flowing through the chamber and then directly into the engine is actually cooled much.

As an example... if I am driving in 80 degree weather, air getting sucked into the IC comes in at 80 degrees... what does it enter the engine - after getting cooled in the intercooler..? Is there a dramatic difference? I take it there is thus this part would not exist.

This gent.. says 15 - 20 degrees cooler... (at 1:50) which I am speculative of.. - I can be convinced with some experts chiming in... still wondering if an intercooler can drop temps by 20% in such a small area... - the engine has to be WAY hotter than 80 degrees... [in any event it is making the supercharger more 'efficient'?]

What happens if I route the coolant around the IC and stop the leak that way?

Thanks for thoughts...

Last edited by c32jet; 05-03-2015 at 09:41 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Experience with Intercooler Replacement