C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Who developed their own air intake system? Why aren't more folks doing this?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by testknight
"Maybe" for your SRT...for our C32, these DIY intakes will do just as well. Guys here me out on this...Rob makes a good product, but you don't need to spend that much. All respect AMX, but it almost seems you have skin in this (I'm guessing you've gotten to know and respect rob over the years so feel you need to speak up on his product...I get it...but you claims are over stated for our application).
I don't disagree with your assessment regarding claims made by AMX. Sometimes he tries too hard with his advice (like his recent LSD related statements). But at the end of the day he just wants to help and I'm sure does not have any financial interest in needswings.com. I do however want to give Rob from needswings.com (and some of the SRT6 guys that have co-developed a few products with Rob) a huge credit for continuing to innovate and improve the M112K platform. Your post feels somewhat negative regarding Rob and the prices he charges for the intake. Yes, you can now buy all the parts to make your own intake for less, but until Rob posted the pictures of his intake and sold a few units, I did not see anyone come even close to what he had. Rob is running a business, and he has a need to cover his R&D expenses and generate a profit. So, while copying Rob's intellectual property without paying for it, at least show some appreciation.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 crossfire w/SL55 drivetrain installed by Rudy Compart Intake/Needswings best et-10.76 @ 129
Originally Posted by Lenin
I don't disagree with your assessment regarding claims made by AMX. Sometimes he tries too hard with his advice (like his recent LSD related statements). But at the end of the day he just wants to help and I'm sure does not have any financial interest in needswings.com. I do however want to give Rob from needswings.com (and some of the SRT6 guys that have co-developed a few products with Rob) a huge credit for continuing to innovate and improve the M112K platform. Your post feels somewhat negative regarding Rob and the prices he charges for the intake. Yes, you can now buy all the parts to make your own intake for less, but until Rob posted the pictures of his intake and sold a few units, I did not see anyone come even close to what he had. Rob is running a business, and he has a need to cover his R&D expenses and generate a profit. So, while copying Rob's intellectual property without paying for it, at least show some appreciation.
thanks lenin,, I couldn't have said it any better,, Just a note I did make a intake Similar to the Needswings single intake back in 2007,, but when i had it flow tested, it flowed 510 cfm,, I don;t know why ,,maybe the teflon coating inside the intake , I sold it for about 200. then paid Needswings their price for theirs ans dropped my ET about 1/2 second I was running 13.1 stock,,12.9 with my intake ,,12.5 with needswings SC pulley and tune 12.1,,, now Have E55 motor, tune,178 pulley, Needswings duel intake for the E55 Mercedes, and run 11.2 ,,,Yep I am happy. jim
Old 09-30-2012, 11:25 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
Let's be clear. Your intake is not exactly like the intake for the C32s. You know that, right?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
So has anyone done this intake and a re-tune yet? I just picked up a y pipe from Shardul fairly inexpensively so I might as well jump on the bandwagon with this intake. Would I benefit from a retune or would it just be a waste of time?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 PM

CLS55
I personally wouldn't bother with a retune. Good tuners won't pull too much fuel during an intial tune as to account for atmospheric conditions (unless they know enough on how to utilize all adaptive tables...of course I'm assuming this is all similiar to EEC-V)...that said your extra air will be just fine to get you the hp you are after (my realistic est would be +/-15...you get something more high quality with better fitment and a quality teflon coating application such as needswings you may see a few more)

Now from a stock tune...yeah a tune will extend the benefits a lot more, but I wouldn't bother unless you were all done with all mods.

That said...if its free hell go for it, they may get you and extra 2-3hp over the +/-15 you'll gain over stock on an intake like this.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Thanks. It is free since it's a eurocharged tune but you really think I'll get 15 hp out of this?
Old 10-24-2012, 12:50 AM

CLS55
Yes...I have the SL55 intake and gained 10rwhp on a dyno dynamics (same eurocharged dyno before and after),...this intake WILL flow better. That said the dyne results may only show 10-12...but note the fans they place in front of the dyno will not be able to replicate the cold air coming in at 40+mph where you'll see, IMO, 15hp or more. Gains from intakes are harder to demonstrate on dyno vs the strip.

Honestly, I am very close to pulling trigger on CLS55, M5 or M6 else I'd be looking to "UPGRADE" my SL55 intake to one of these DIY intake (unless say Needswings drops thje price a bit).
Old 10-25-2012, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Great info, thanks! I called Eurocharged yesterday and a gentleman I spoke to said I wouldn't need a retune for the intake so I'll just stick with what I have.

Those cars you listed are pretty sweet. The E60 M5 and the E63 M6 have one of the best sounding engines of all time which alone makes me want to buy one over a CLS55. However, the lower torque in the CLS55 will definitely put a grin on your face. The CLS55 is also a more tunable platform being supercharged. Nonetheless, all great cars. I've driven my friends dads M6 before and it drives really well, like really well. Very good steering feel but the car does feel big. Still rails corners though.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by testknight
Yes...I have the SL55 intake and gained 10rwhp on a dyno dynamics (same eurocharged dyno before and after),...this intake WILL flow better. That said the dyne results may only show 10-12...but note the fans they place in front of the dyno will not be able to replicate the cold air coming in at 40+mph where you'll see, IMO, 15hp or more. Gains from intakes are harder to demonstrate on dyno vs the strip.

Honestly, I am very close to pulling trigger on CLS55, M5 or M6 else I'd be looking to "UPGRADE" my SL55 intake to one of these DIY intake (unless say Needswings drops thje price a bit).
i'm sorry, i dont think i understand your post. are you saying you picked up 10whp on the dyno going from stock to sl55 spliterr? stock to full sl55 setup with sl55 boxes? or sl55 setup to this needswings style intake?

ty
Old 10-29-2012, 09:42 AM

CLS55
that was stock to the full SL55 (actually it was E55, as if it matters)...I should also say I i put in K&Ns at same time. .
Old 10-29-2012, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Risk of vacuuming in water - Sandy inspired thought

With our home built, cone filter, direct to grill horn scoop, cold air intakes have we increased the risk of sucking in water to the thirsty supercharger? Should a massive puddle leap up from no where and splash us in the face would these sealed systems be any different than the stock baffled intake tubes and square walled filter boxes? Would it behoove the daily driver to have some sort of drain or trap at the scoop just behind the grill or should we just take the girl friend's car out in the hurricane?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:59 PM

CLS55
You don't have anything to worry about. What little (very little if any) will make it to your throttle body will be vaporized easily enough.

I see no way for any real amount of water to make its way back to your T/B.

In short, a non issue if you ask me.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:29 PM

Mustang
Sorry to drag up an old topic gents, but I am going down the road of a diy intake as well. But I am having some issues finding a E55 or SL55 intake y pipe and snorkel tubes. All the old links seem to be dead I haven't seen anywhere else that carries them any help would be mucho appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-18-2013, 01:37 AM

Mustang
Quick update for anyone researching the project. The part #'s posted on the SRT Crossfire forums diagram are still good. Genuinemercedesparts.com doesn't have a diagram either but they have the parts in stock
Old 11-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
mbworld
We specialize in performance air intakes and I was quite impressed with the ingenuity and abilities with the DIY approach. My only advice is to stick with a quality air filter, there are a lot of poor quality air filters on the market.

Keep in mind that the engine is essentially a pump, to increase performance you want to maximize the flow of intake and output.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:05 AM

c32, c200k
I just did this a few weeks back and I must say it does make a difference in the mid/upper Rev range. And i love the sound... I can actually tell I'm driving a supercharged car now!

One thing I'm concerned about is how hot the aluminum pipes and filter housing gets. Today on a 30 Celsius day the great was definitely having an effect on acceleration. I can't imagine all those hot aluminum intake pipes would help or already inefficient intercooler with getting cool air to the motor (edging me one step closer to water/meth injection). Has anyone thought of a way to seal or wrap the pipes and filter housing in anything?

Also I'm about to swap out the 90 degree pipes with 60 degree pipes. I think 90 sits at too much of an angle.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:48 AM

Porsche 2004 911
Originally Posted by crembz
Has anyone thought of a way to seal or wrap the pipes and filter housing in anything?
Also I'm about to swap out the 90 degree pipes with 60 degree pipes. I think 90 sits at too much of an angle.
Saw your handy work today, very clean car. Haven't had a read of mbworld32 for ages so saw your pm from ages ago. sorry. Glad the indie is working out. He knows a 32 for sure. That aluminium would heat up far too much. There is 'The Blast Factory' in Coburg North that do ceramic coating. Other than that you could wrap it in dei thermal reflective gold wrap? Have you seen Rob's (Needswings) one? It is worth the price ultimately. IMO the 55 ypipe is still a bottle neck yet there were some things posted on this or crossfire forum regarding the supercharger only processing so much also.(cant recall the particulars) Cheap thrill -removing the good-ol weather seal top end near wipers -will expel some more engine bay heat and a satisfying whine of the s/c.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:27 PM

c32, c200k
Hey mate was wondering where you been! Yeah Vigen's a great guy and knows his stuff. Great laugh as well, loves his German engineered cars, hate when I talk about modifying what he sees as perfect engineering lol. Was talking to him about water/meth. He had an interesting suggestion about routing the ic coolant to two small radiators sitting instead of the stock air boxes with grills in the bonnet. Reckons it's less risky than water/meth and would serve to lower iats, obviously not as effective as meth for massive boost.

I'll check out the ceramic coating as soon as I tidy up the piping. Like I said I think 90degrees is too much... Causes the ypipe to fold in on itself a little on the left (passenger in AU) side. I think 60 will fit better.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:43 AM

Porsche 2004 911
Pansu's intake:
Mods (source was this http://www.mersuforum.net/forum/view...6310&start=330)

Old 10-24-2014, 01:52 AM

c32, c200k
Originally Posted by macbryanie
Pansu's intake:
Mods (source was this http://www.mersuforum.net/forum/view...6310&start=330)

Thanks mad! Too bad you can't buy it as a kit! Close to 30 degrees again today ... She doesn't like performing in the heat.

Hey Vigen said you were about to pull the trigger on a quaife. Can you pm me where you got it from and $$$.

Cheers
Old 10-24-2014, 02:37 AM

Porsche 2004 911
Originally Posted by crembz
Thanks mad! Too bad you can't buy it as a kit! Close to 30 degrees again today ... She doesn't like performing in the heat.

Hey Vigen said you were about to pull the trigger on a quaife. Can you pm me where you got it from and $$$.

Cheers
Bought from Rob at Needswings and axle kit from Birds UK. Vigen(seriously) and BM Spares are the authorised Quaife distributors in AU. I bought it all over a year ago. :/
Old 10-24-2014, 03:18 AM

c32, c200k
Originally Posted by macbryanie
Bought from Rob at Needswings and axle kit from Birds UK. Vigen(seriously) and BM Spares are the authorised Quaife distributors in AU. I bought it all over a year ago. :/
Wow one year on the shelf! I reckon I'd go mad having had it that long without installing it. You still thinking of doing it?
Old 11-12-2014, 08:36 AM

CLK55 AMG
i have an 03 clk55, i purchased the full sl55 intake. when installed with new hose from y pipe to airboxes i saw less power across the entire rpm range. my stock intake makes more power. the airboxes are big and seem to have more area than the stock but the y-pipe is causing the restriction. i would definietly go with an aftermarket or diy y pipe.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:41 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
The C32 y-pipe is tiny. The SL55 one is a huge upgrade. It is also about the largest pipe you can fit in there.

For the CLK or C55 i agree custom is definitely the way to go. Like what suedepat had before supercharging.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
C32 amg
Sl55 ypipe and elbows same as e55?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Who developed their own air intake system? Why aren't more folks doing this?