Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 07:50 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Just installed supercharger pulley

I never expect any aftermarket part installation to go well but this was actually quite good. Ran into a few problems but the car runs and the belt isn't shredded yet so thats good.

The eurocharged instructions are good but I will post any extra tips I have. First off I took a photo of the belts so I could get it all back together the same.

Next you need to loosen the tension to get the belt off. I put a 15mm spanner on the nut of the tensioner pulley and used this instead of the E10 torx the instructions say to use. Pull the spanner towards the left of the photo ie anti-clockwise/counter-clockwise. You should release the tension before the nut un-does itself. I found it easiest to slip the belt off the large black pulley just to the left of the crank pulley in the photo above. It required much less force than trying to take the belt off the recommended pulley above it and to the left of the coolant line.

I could not get the stock pulley off. After 10 years and millions of heat cycles it does not want to come off. I tried all sorts of stuff. The ridges in the pulley are too small for a pulley puller. In the end I put a screwdriver angled against the outer pulley thread and hit it with a hammer. I don't recommend hitting a $16,000 supercharger with a hammer but I couldn't find any other way. It eventually slid off. I had to take the clip off and lower the rubber coolant line stopping the pulley from coming off the very end. You can lower the hose off the metal pipe about 3/4" without risking coolant going everywhere.

Eurocharged and stock

This is what you get off.

These are the shims everyone talks about. They are the last thing removed. The adjust the gap between the pulley and the electromagnetic clutch. I did not need any so I did not put them back.

New supercharger bolt. High grade titanium. The stock one has a hole through the middle, supposedly for oil discharge. Mine was blocked with crap so I guess it can't have been too critical.

All tightened down. My only issue was that the new pulley does not appear to sit 100% straight on the supercharger. The following 2 shots are with it 90 degrees rotated. You can see the gap is enormous. I am not sure if this matters or what to do about it.

Not so good.

So anyway the car runs. I definitely have full boost. It is raining but I went for a quick spin and the orange triangle was lighting up all over the place...
Old 09-15-2012, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Great mod. I have this pulley as well and I love it! Is our supercharger really $16k though?
Old 09-15-2012, 09:48 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
That was one figure I saw mentioned in a thread from a while back. Dealers simply make up how much they want to charge you in my experience so it probably depends how wealthy you look when you go in. Since ours is twin screw and made by IHI in Japan rather than Eaton where all the regular roots on the non-AMG's come from... I am guessing picking up a generic off the shelf replacement is not an option. Many of the Jaguar and I am guessing some of the mercedes superchargers are standard models and may only be $2000 for a new one.

So the clutch definitely engages ie lots of loss of traction. What I am wondering is if it is disengaging correctly. Under what circumstances will the pulley turn but the supercharger not be turning?

Or does the supercharger always turn a bit even with the clutch disengaged?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Porsche 2004 911
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
Great mod. I have this pulley as well and I love it! Is our supercharger really $16k though?
+ 1 your going to love it tw2.
Have you remote tuned?
The s/c 16k? here in AU yep easy the sealership would try n slug that. First and last visit to the dealership I was quoted 4.5k for assembly 59: which is the pulley,shims and bolt. Insane.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...lley-bolt.html
Old 09-16-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
i have this pulley now aswell and just got remotely tuned!

Car is insane now!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 05:01 PM

2000 mercedes
very clean install, nice job.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:36 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
No remote tune just yet. I am borrowing a laptop from a collegue later this week. I don't feel like moving my 20kg gaming rig around the house... and then going back for the keyboard, mouse and 24" lcd.

Glad its nuts, I am looking forward to it. I don't think it will take long to convince myself I need a quaife for christmas.

Trending Topics

Old 08-19-2015, 02:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
03' SL55
tw2: Bringing this post back from the dead. I ran into an issue where I just installed a new UDP S/C clutch and my gap between the clutch and the supercharger is over the maximum limit. I want to take the pulley back off to see if I left any shims on however I chewed the hell out of the pulley bolt. I am having a heck of a time trying to find an OEM replacement right now and ran across this post where you used a Titanium M8 bolt instead. Has this worked out well in the long run?

The OEM bolt has a hole that runs right down the middle, I'm curious if that hole is required. I'm going to have a hard time taking the clutch back off and once I do the bolt will be useless so I am trying to figure out of this Titanium M8 bolt is a viable replacement or should I keep hunting for an OEM unit? I called the local dealer and they said if I want the bolt I have to buy a whole new clutch for $1,700!!!!!!!

Last edited by sl55per; 08-19-2015 at 02:28 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:42 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I didn't keep the car too much longer than that, maybe 6 months, certainly no problems in that time. I would have no problems doing the same thing again. As I mentioned I think most cars at this age would have them completely blocked with crap and have no problems.

Have a look at the link in post 4 if you haven't already. Bryan has had the same bolt for years, he gave me mine.

Last edited by tw2; 08-19-2015 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:36 PM

2003 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Is this the same pulley on the 03-06 e55 Amg? I'm also looking for that bolt??
Old 02-24-2016, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
03' SL55
Originally Posted by Mojica326
Is this the same pulley on the 03-06 e55 Amg? I'm also looking for that bolt??
I'm not an expert on compatibility but I am 99.999% sure it's the same bolt. Unfortunately you are about to embark on one hell of a search. I contacted junkyard after junkyard until I finally struck gold and was able to get a used bolt for around $30. Do not contact the dealership, they will want you to buy a new supercharger just to get your hands on that elusive bolt.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:25 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
C32 amg
Originally Posted by sl55per
I'm not an expert on compatibility but I am 99.999% sure it's the same bolt. Unfortunately you are about to embark on one hell of a search. I contacted junkyard after junkyard until I finally struck gold and was able to get a used bolt for around $30. Do not contact the dealership, they will want you to buy a new supercharger just to get your hands on that elusive bolt.
U can get that sc bolt at needswing they sell the bolt
Old 09-23-2021, 03:57 PM

mercedes c32 amg
Originally Posted by tw2
I never expect any aftermarket part installation to go well but this was actually quite good. Ran into a few problems but the car runs and the belt isn't shredded yet so thats good.

The eurocharged instructions are good but I will post any extra tips I have. First off I took a photo of the belts so I could get it all back together the same.

Next you need to loosen the tension to get the belt off. I put a 15mm spanner on the nut of the tensioner pulley and used this instead of the E10 torx the instructions say to use. Pull the spanner towards the left of the photo ie anti-clockwise/counter-clockwise. You should release the tension before the nut un-does itself. I found it easiest to slip the belt off the large black pulley just to the left of the crank pulley in the photo above. It required much less force than trying to take the belt off the recommended pulley above it and to the left of the coolant line.

I could not get the stock pulley off. After 10 years and millions of heat cycles it does not want to come off. I tried all sorts of stuff. The ridges in the pulley are too small for a pulley puller. In the end I put a screwdriver angled against the outer pulley thread and hit it with a hammer. I don't recommend hitting a $16,000 supercharger with a hammer but I couldn't find any other way. It eventually slid off. I had to take the clip off and lower the rubber coolant line stopping the pulley from coming off the very end. You can lower the hose off the metal pipe about 3/4" without risking coolant going everywhere.

Eurocharged and stock

These are the shims everyone talks about. They are the last thing removed. The adjust the gap between the pulley and the electromagnetic clutch. I did not need any so I did not put them back.

New supercharger bolt. High grade titanium. The stock one has a hole through the middle, supposedly for oil discharge. Mine was blocked with crap so I guess it can't have been too critical.

All tightened down. My only issue was that the new pulley does not appear to sit 100% straight on the supercharger. The following 2 shots are with it 90 degrees rotated. You can see the gap is enormous. I am not sure if this matters or what to do about it.

Not so good.

So anyway the car runs. I definitely have full boost. It is raining but I went for a quick spin and the orange triangle was lighting up all over the place...
hi where did you buy the supercharger from and does it come with the drive belt.

is that the upgraded pulley or standard. my amg supercharger pulley is worn and need to be replaced
Old 09-23-2021, 06:06 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by gulham
hi where did you buy the supercharger from and does it come with the drive belt.

is that the upgraded pulley or standard. my amg supercharger pulley is worn and need to be replaced
It's been a while since I have had this car. I presume you mean the pulley rather than the supercharger. It was from eurocharged. It was an upgraded one. I am pretty sure the stock belt could be used with that size and no that pulley doesn't come with a belt. If I needed a new belt I get most of my parts from fcp euro or pelican parts. You might be able to just replace the bearing if that is the only problem.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:45 PM

mercedes c32 amg
supercharger pulley can't find one c32 amg

Originally Posted by tw2

Eurocharged and stock

Not so good.

I'm having one heck of time trying to find a supercharger pulley for my c32 amg, can anyone please point me in the right direction please, much appreciated
Old 10-18-2021, 07:05 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by gulham
I'm having one heck of time trying to find a supercharger pulley for my c32 amg, can anyone please point me in the right direction please, much appreciated
https://www.vrpspeed.com/product/clu...-pulley-m112k/