C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Eurocharged 61mm pulley problems and intro

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 c32 amg
Eurocharged 61mm pulley problems and intro

Hello all. Let me first introduce myself. My name is Brett and I recently purchased my 04 c32. Only mods so far are H&R springs. Thanks to all who post their pics and mods for helping me decide on the springs. I purchased a 61mm pulley from Eurocharged during their blk Friday sale and just attempted to install it. Once installed the pulley is obviously wrong. The air gap between the clutch and pulley is huge. After a close examination of stock vs Eurocharged the error is in the bearing depth. Either this pulley is made completely wrong or it is for another supercharger. Has anyone out there recently bought the 61 and had this issue? Could this be a 55 pulley? Has anybody gotten the 61 and had no problem installing it? I'm planning to call them tomorrow to get this resolved. Thanks
Old 12-16-2012, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRT-6
Originally Posted by d7brtram
Hello all. Let me first introduce myself. My name is Brett and I recently purchased my 04 c32. Only mods so far are H&R springs. Thanks to all who post their pics and mods for helping me decide on the springs. I purchased a 61mm pulley from Eurocharged during their blk Friday sale and just attempted to install it. Once installed the pulley is obviously wrong. The air gap between the clutch and pulley is huge. After a close examination of stock vs Eurocharged the error is in the bearing depth. Either this pulley is made completely wrong or it is for another supercharger. Has anyone out there recently bought the 61 and had this issue? Could this be a 55 pulley? Has anybody gotten the 61 and had no problem installing it? I'm planning to call them tomorrow to get this resolved. Thanks
Check here to see if it answers your question.http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...tml#post679120
Les
Old 12-16-2012, 09:24 AM

2004 c32 amg
Everything else about the pulley is correct. The bearing position inside the pulley, the depth I would call it, is the problem.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:02 PM

SRT-6
Everything else about the pulley is correct. The bearing position inside the pulley, the depth I would call it, is the problem.
Did you reuse the stock shims behind the pulley? I believe your not supposed to if you did.

Les
Old 12-16-2012, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Do you have any pictures? Here is what mine looks like. Just came in on Thursday.
Attached Thumbnails Eurocharged 61mm pulley problems and intro-2012-12-16_12-12-00_108-1-.jpg   Eurocharged 61mm pulley problems and intro-2012-12-16_12-12-34_11-1-.jpg  
Old 12-16-2012, 12:46 PM

2004 c32 amg
No pics right now. Lenin, the gap on yours is smaller than mine but still looks large for the clutch to overcome. The spec for most electromag clutches is usually from .25mm to .50mm. The gap my pulley has with no shim installed is about 2mm. I put the stock pulley back on for now. Hopefully I got a mis-machined pulley and they can just send a replacement.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:05 PM

02 C32 S203
I had the same problem with 65mm pulley. Contacted Eurocharged but never got an answer. I ended up pushing the bearing deeper since there was room. After this I had to add more shims to make the gap .20mm. Been running flawless ever since. Don't know if this can be done with the 61mm pulley since it is a different design.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No pics right now. Lenin, the gap on yours is smaller than mine but still looks large for the clutch to overcome. The spec for most electromag clutches is usually from .25mm to .50mm. The gap my pulley has with no shim installed is about 2mm. I put the stock pulley back on for now. Hopefully I got a mis-machined pulley and they can just send a replacement.
I thought that you problem is worse. My pulley is on the test supercharger and is not tightened up. Have you tighetened everything and started the car and see if the supercharged engages? This pulley is made out of different metals that may be more flexible and a bit larger gap may be ok.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:58 PM

2004 c32 amg
UPDATE:
Ok so I figured for the heck of it I'd install the pulley and drive the car. The pulley definitely does not work and after a second thorough examination I have determined the the snap ring groove that the bearing seats against is cut in the wrong position causing the installed depth of the bearing to be too far to the rear of the pulley creating the huge 1.5mm gap between the pulley and clutch...ugh. I wonder if the whole batch Eurocharged received is like this.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:46 PM

SRT-6
I will receive mine this weekend. Fingers xed that mine does not have any baby diseases. Have batch 2 of the 64.7mm and it is at least 100% spot on. Will let you know status of mine later this week. Good luck sorting yours out. EC is always great and will probably help any with problems.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE:
Ok so I figured for the heck of it I'd install the pulley and drive the car. The pulley definitely does not work and after a second thorough examination I have determined the the snap ring groove that the bearing seats against is cut in the wrong position causing the installed depth of the bearing to be too far to the rear of the pulley creating the huge 1.5mm gap between the pulley and clutch...ugh. I wonder if the whole batch Eurocharged received is like this.
I measured my OEM vs the 61mm pulley and they are both about 24mm from the back of the bearing to the surface of the backing plate.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:20 PM

2004 c32 amg
Originally Posted by Lenin
I measured my OEM vs the 61mm pulley and they are both about 24mm from the back of the bearing to the surface of the backing plate.
Good luck with yours guys. I took the same measurement and got about 24mm on the 61 and close to 26mm on the stock unit. Hope EC has a solution.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:55 AM

02 C32 AMG, 06 C230 Sport (Gone)
Good luck with yours guys. I took the same measurement and got about 24mm on the 61 and close to 26mm on the stock unit. Hope EC has a solution.
Have you contacted Eurocharged yet? That should have been the first thing you did when you realized there was an issue.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:21 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Hey guys. We have installed a few of these units and they have installed fine. Our spring steel pieces on this batch are much stronger than previous units and just need to heat cycle for about an hour and will settle into place.

If you don't want to wait for the heat cycle to settle in the back plate, gently pull on it to create another 1-2mm gap.

I've asked Chris to come by today so I can take some pics to help.

Thanks,
Old 12-17-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
I'll be taking my car to the shop at the end of the week for Jerry to work on and get this taken care of. Should have all the info by the end of the week.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03' CL600
Originally Posted by Jerry@Eurocharged
Hey guys. We have installed a few of these units and they have installed fine. Our spring steel pieces on this batch are much stronger than previous units and just need to heat cycle for about an hour and will settle into place.

If you don't want to wait for the heat cycle to settle in the back plate, gently pull on it to create another 1-2mm gap.

I've asked Chris to come by today so I can take some pics to help.

Thanks,
The man himself speaks!

EC customer service above and beyond as usual.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:54 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Update: I have now confirmed with a few customers that the pulley installed fine and is running as normal.

I have talked with a friend / customer Anthony and it seems after speaking to him and looking at what I have here at the shop, some of these blowers are slightly different.

We are working hard to get a solution that will work for everyone.

If your pulley arrives, please call me at the shop.

Thanks,
Old 12-17-2012, 03:58 PM

C32 AMG (sold) E55 AMG
Drive an 02 C32. Installed the Eurocharged 61mm pulley last Thursday. Noted that the initial gap between pulley and clutch is a little bit larger than factory but the clutch was able to travel this distance just fine. Without a tune, drove fine and engaged as expected. After tune car is just ridiculous. Thus haven't experienced any problems with this set up. Please note I also installed Needswings PSK for the smaller S/C pulley. Ordered and installed at same time. Will update if any issues arise. Have put 900 miles on this pulley to date.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:59 PM

C32 AMG (sold) E55 AMG
Also, not using any of the spacer shims on the pulley.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
I'm sure Eurocharged will solve this problem quickly. They always do!
Old 12-17-2012, 09:13 PM

2004 c32 amg
Originally Posted by Jerry@Eurocharged
Update: I have now confirmed with a few customers that the pulley installed fine and is running as normal.

I have talked with a friend / customer Anthony and it seems after speaking to him and looking at what I have here at the shop, some of these blowers are slightly different.

We are working hard to get a solution that will work for everyone.

If your pulley arrives, please call me at the shop.

Thanks,
Many thanks to Jerry and all those working on a solution.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 PM

2004 c32 amg
Update/Resolution: I received my modified 61 mm pulley around Christmas and finally got a chance to put it on around New Years. The modified pulley had the snap ring groove cut further out toward the front edge and a spacer washer installed behind the bearing to take up the extra space created by moving the bearing forward slightly. I installed the pulley and at first there was no gap for the clutch. After disassembling, measuring and analyzing my options I decided the mill the spacer washer behind the bearing down from 1.90mm to about 1.50mm. I reassembled and installed the pulley and the clutch gap was now just about perfect at .50mm. However now the snap ring was loose inside its groove because the bearing had been pushed back slightly. I removed the snap ring from the stock pulley and installed it into the EC pulley on top of the original snap ring (so there's 2 snap rings now retaining the bearing) I had to grind the EC snap ring slightly thinner to accommodate the added snap ring. So after all that the pulley seems as perfect as it will get. The bearing is held snuggly in place by 2 snap rings in the front and one spacer washer in the back and the air gap is right at about .50mm. I have no idea why the supercharger on my car is different than most. Maybe the clutch was replaced with an updated version at some point. I'm sure reading this and trying to understand everything I'm talking about without seeing it firsthand may be hard. But I wanted to put this info out there in case someone else runs into this problem.

A couple days after getting the pulley situated I had EC do the remote tune for the smaller pulley. The car has a ridiculous amount power now. I highly advise the 61mm pulley and tune from EC. You will NOT be disappointed. Well worth the $$$. EC was very helpful and quickly shipped me the modified pulley. Thanks again to Jerry and Adam.