C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

used 185mm pulley take a look please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB C32 AMG
used 185mm pulley take a look please

I got used 185mm crank pulley and it looks like it has problem on pulley ribs, looks like it scratched (more flat, little bit sharp) would it cut a belt?
before installing I want you guys to take a look on it and give me your thoughts
I took some pic of different angles
Attached Thumbnails used 185mm pulley take a look please-img_0487.jpg   used 185mm pulley take a look please-img_0488.jpg   used 185mm pulley take a look please-img_0489.jpg   used 185mm pulley take a look please-img_0490.jpg   used 185mm pulley take a look please-img_0491.jpg  

Old 01-11-2013, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK55 AMG
Your good man
That won't hurt anything...
Old 01-11-2013, 10:09 AM

MB C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32kompressor
Your good man
That won't hurt anything...
my mechanic told me I might damage(cut) belt pretty quick.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 AM

CLK55 AMG
That doesn't look like anything really in the pictures, I could be over looking something, but that seems fine to me. I have had pulleys do that and nothing happened.
Maybe your mechanic is trying to just get more $ out of ya??
Old 01-11-2013, 11:00 AM

MB C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32kompressor
That doesn't look like anything really in the pictures, I could be over looking something, but that seems fine to me. I have had pulleys do that and nothing happened.
Maybe your mechanic is trying to just get more $ out of ya??
no, he is installing it for free. It's my good friend, I have done business with him for long time.

Don't you see it looks like is is bent?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:07 AM

CLK55 AMG
Your right, I didn't quite see that picture correctly but I see it now. And I asked my instructor (I attend Nashville Auto Diesel College) an he said it can. I say you replace it.
Sorry for the confusion!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:08 AM

Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by c32amgsuper
I got used 185mm crank pulley and it looks like it has problem on pulley ribs, looks like it scratched (more flat, little bit sharp) would it cut a belt?
before installing I want you guys to take a look on it and give me your thoughts
I took some pic of different angles
I'm inclined to agree with your mechanic - some of the ribs look like they are bent down into the grooves. If this is the case, the pulley ribs will interact with the pulley defect.
If there is increased friction due to those ribs, it is a mechanical certainty that the lifespan of the belt will be shorter. It may not shred immediately, but it will not last as long.

However, I would be far more concerned about installing a used crankshaft pulley that has not been verified to be properly balanced.
Adequate balancing is of critical importance and you are taking a risk by installing a used pulley.

I'm not in any way slating anyone who has installed a used pulley, but you owe it to yourself and your crank seal to ensure that any used crankshaft pulley is adequately balanced.
Even the minimal damage on that pulley you have can throw off the balancing.

Bottom line: your used pulley may be perfect. On the other hand, do you want to take that risk? Balancing and smoothing those ribs should cost very little by a shop that can do it properly.

More information on balancing HERE.

Trending Topics

Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 PM

MB C32 AMG
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
I'm inclined to agree with your mechanic - some of the ribs look like they are bent down into the grooves. If this is the case, the pulley ribs will interact with the pulley defect.
If there is increased friction due to those ribs, it is a mechanical certainty that the lifespan of the belt will be shorter. It may not shred immediately, but it will not last as long.

However, I would be far more concerned about installing a used crankshaft pulley that has not been verified to be properly balanced.
Adequate balancing is of critical importance and you are taking a risk by installing a used pulley.

I'm not in any way slating anyone who has installed a used pulley, but you owe it to yourself and your crank seal to ensure that any used crankshaft pulley is adequately balanced.
Even the minimal damage on that pulley you have can throw off the balancing.

Bottom line: your used pulley may be perfect. On the other hand, do you want to take that risk? Balancing and smoothing those ribs should cost very little by a shop that can do it properly.

More information on balancing HERE.
So you think the best way get it rebalanced and smooth ribs?

Last edited by c32amgsuper; 01-11-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:10 PM

Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by c32amgsuper
So you think the best way get it rebalanced and smooth ribs?
If the ribs need smoothing - i.e. if the edges are slightly pushed into the grooves (like it appears), I would definitely have that done (properly). Otherwise it's going to wear down the belt.

Do that BEFORE balancing. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a shop who can balance a pulley properly. I had a spare used stock crank pulley done by a machinist ~2008 and it cost $50.
[Importantly, it DID need re-balancing]

Admittedly, I'm a tad ****-retentive when it comes to matters such as these, but for the sake of a minimal cost, I'd 'service' the pulley to put your mind at ease.