C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 wierd electronic failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 wierd electronic failure

Hello!
Have tried to search after a topic similar to mine, but I cant find any, so I hope some of you guys can help me!

I have got two problems, but i think that if I solve one, both will be solved since they are both related to electronics.
I bought my car for like four months ago and when the weather started to get freezing cold, like -20 degrees celsius then my battery were dead. Charged it up and dead the next day. I found out that it was the electronic seats that was draining it, so I unplugged the seats and got to the repair shop where they fitted a new fresh battery.
No problems until a couple of weeks ago when I were driving in the snow and the ESP needed to work alot. Sometimes when the yellow ESP-triangle comes up - then the Comand dies (just for a few seconds) and my headlights starts to flicker/blink a bit.

And now problem two.
This morning when I got home from work and have parked my car at my parking spot it just were about to die. I have had this problem like two times before under the same conditions. It's seems like it's when Im about to put it in (P) from (D). But this morning did I get "ESP Visit Workshop" and "Right Low Beam not Working" after the car did recover (it does not die, but it just behave like it would and all electronics stops working for a few seconds). I have got similar malfunctions before and it have just been turning of the engine and restart and they are gone. But when I turned of the car then ALL electronics died, like that the battery were dead. Could not lock the car or turn the key to start the car.
But I sat in the car and tried to browse and find something on the internet and after like five minutes it did light up (had my door open) and everything were normal again.

Anyone have any idea what this can be?

/Kim
Old 02-28-2013, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Not that all your problems could be related to the key but I would try the other key FOB if it came with the car. See if that fixes anything first.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the tip! Only problem is that we only got one key for the car. But we have talked about ordering one more.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:04 PM

An update on the problem.
As soon as I put in the (P) on the shift lever the car acts like it's dying. I let it stand for like three minutes and it did the same thing over and over for a couple of times.
Pulled out the key and the car is dead now. Nothing works. Been waiting for 10 minutes for a "reboot" like in the morning. But nothing is happening.
Will see if the car works in an hour or so. Have a meeting now that i must attend to.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Sounds to me like your alternator. Your battery has probably been weak for a while and you have been overtaxing your alternator so now it may have failed. Only your new battery has been allowing it to run for the moment, but once it loses charge it kills the command and lights.

Check that first.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
And unless you can do it, just take your car to a stereo shop and have them do this for you:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/262131-temjinx2s-20-seat-control-battery-drain-fix.html
Old 02-28-2013, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the answer! I will take the car to a repair shop and look the alternator thing up! The car started and ran fine after my meeting btw. So it have a blackout for 20-60 minutes and then ran like nothing had happened. :P
Also on the seat fix. I have checked that thread before and im just waiting for some better weather before I will do that. Too cold now and have not got any garage to be in. So at the moment im stuck with one seat position.

Again thanks! Just want my car to work fine, cause its a really fun and nice car. I will now try to sell my Skyline and drive this all the time instead.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:44 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Check major ground connections too
Old 03-02-2013, 10:45 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Wait you have a skyline for sale!? Where you from?
Old 03-08-2013, 02:05 PM

Hey again. Been busy for some days but I want to update all of you. Had my car at the shop and they checked some ground connections and took away my "battery switch". The owner before me installed that one because of battery draining meanwhile they tried to find out why the car drained battery (that common electric seats problem).
I have now had the car for four days and not a single problem and the voltage shown by my Comand unit is alot more stable (jumping between 14.3-14.5 instead of 13.3-14.8).
Thanks all for the ideas!

Also to the poster above me, I live in Sweden and its a Nissam Skyline R33 gts25t. PM me if you want to know anything else.

Thanks!