C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

2004 C55 Battery Draining & SatNav problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C55 AMG
2004 C55 Battery Draining & SatNav problem

Sorry, reposted with better title description!

Hi Everyone! New here and not sure how to go about this. I recently bought a 2004 C55, always loved the car and eventually found one that was well taken care of with 100 000 kilometers on the clock, has a full service history with Mercedes, but recently I started having a dead battery in the mornings and sometimes when leaving work.

Thinking it was the battery, I replaced it, then went on a small trip where the vehicle stood for around 2 days or so before I needed to use it again. It was then when I noticed that the key I had with me stopped operating the central locking, opening and closing, and another day later the new battery was also dead.

I headed back home after a jump start and for a few days the problem continued till I booked the vehicle in with Mercedes, they had it for almost two days looking for the source that was draining the power, they came back saying it was the tracking system that was installed in the vehicle that I wasn't even aware of, I had it removed and all of this cost a small fortune, they told me they were convinced that this was the cause of my problem.

I took the vehicle home and later I noticed that the Command SatNav system was asking that I insert the SatNav DVD, but this then disappeared after one or two short trips in the vehicle.

Things were ok for a day or two after, untill I got to the car on my way home from work and again it would not start, I got a jump start and went on my way. Remembering then that the guys at Mercedes said that their equipment indicated low voltage or something on the new battery I though it could just have been from the recent drain. So I took the battery out and put it on charge for a few hours, it started fine after I reconnected it, but I now again have the SatNav asking for the disc to be inserted, while the disc is already in.

I really love the car, it's features and of course the power, not really sure what to do as it's already been quite expensive to get this sorted.

Was wondering if I could get some advice from you guys here, would be great to hear from you!

Regards to All!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 01:32 PM

2005 C55 AMG & 2010 E350
Originally Posted by Djvanpletzen
Sorry, reposted with better title description! Hi Everyone! New here and not sure how to go about this. I recently bought a 2004 C55, always loved the car and eventually found one that was well taken care of with 100 000 kilometers on the clock, has a full service history with Mercedes, but recently I started having a dead battery in the mornings and sometimes when leaving work. Thinking it was the battery, I replaced it, then went on a small trip where the vehicle stood for around 2 days or so before I needed to use it again. It was then when I noticed that the key I had with me stopped operating the central locking, opening and closing, and another day later the new battery was also dead. I headed back home after a jump start and for a few days the problem continued till I booked the vehicle in with Mercedes, they had it for almost two days looking for the source that was draining the power, they came back saying it was the tracking system that was installed in the vehicle that I wasn't even aware of, I had it removed and all of this cost a small fortune, they told me they were convinced that this was the cause of my problem. I took the vehicle home and later I noticed that the Command SatNav system was asking that I insert the SatNav DVD, but this then disappeared after one or two short trips in the vehicle. Things were ok for a day or two after, untill I got to the car on my way home from work and again it would not start, I got a jump start and went on my way. Remembering then that the guys at Mercedes said that their equipment indicated low voltage or something on the new battery I though it could just have been from the recent drain. So I took the battery out and put it on charge for a few hours, it started fine after I reconnected it, but I now again have the SatNav asking for the disc to be inserted, while the disc is already in. I really love the car, it's features and of course the power, not really sure what to do as it's already been quite expensive to get this sorted. Was wondering if I could get some advice from you guys here, would be great to hear from you! Regards to All!!!
Check the alternator. There's places that will do that for free here in The States.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/262131-temjinx2s-20-seat-control-battery-drain-fix.html
Old 02-18-2014, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
Whoops, I replied to your first thread first...anyway, follow both previous comments above ^^
Old 02-19-2014, 12:03 AM

2004 C55 AMG
Hi There! Thank you so much for the feedback, just wanna check before I go ther, would the seat still be working and present the battery drain problem, sorry, I'm one of those that should not be working on electronics of sort?
Old 02-19-2014, 12:08 AM

2004 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Robot L337
Check the alternator. There's places that will do that for free here in The States.
Hi There, thank you for the suggestion, I have not done that yet, but I could probably have it checked out somewhere, yesterday the same thing happened when I got to the car, the SatNav screen was on and displayed a message " please Insert Navigations DVD" I let the car idle for a few minutes and it said that the system is re-booting, the car the stood over night and us ok again this morning? Any other theories?
Old 02-19-2014, 12:14 AM

2004 C55 AMG
[QUOTE=Gramma_Benz;5946665][URL="https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/262131-temjinx2s-20-seat-control-battery-drain-fix.html"][I]https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/262131-temjinx2s-20-seat-control-battery-drain-fix.html[/I Yesterday the same thing happened when I got to the car, the SatNav screen was on and displayed a message " please Insert Navigations DVD" I let the car idle for a few minutes and it said that the system is re-booting, the car the stood over night and us ok again this morning? Any other theories?
Old 02-19-2014, 01:37 PM

2005 C55 AMG & 2010 E350
Hi There, thank you for the suggestion, I have not done that yet, but I could probably have it checked out somewhere, yesterday the same thing happened when I got to the car, the SatNav screen was on and displayed a message " please Insert Navigations DVD" I let the car idle for a few minutes and it said that the system is re-booting, the car the stood over night and us ok again this morning? Any other theories?
I think it's two different problems. If your car won't even try to turn over at start up and you put a new battery in, then most of the time it's the alternator because it won't charge the battery. We know the battery will hold a charge because you said its new. If you want a new SatNav DVD, then MBZ will sell you one for around $250. It probably needs updating anyways. However, that being said, it's very hard to make an armchair diagnosis about a car I've never seen that's thousands of miles away. Please let me know if it's the alternator. I'm really curious to know if I'm right.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
never heard of a 04 C55...hmmm
Old 02-19-2014, 02:28 PM

2005 C55 AMG & 2010 E350
Originally Posted by maverik259
never heard of a 04 C55...hmmm
To my understanding, c55's were only offered in two years: 2005 & 2006. Anyone know the production numbers?
Old 02-19-2014, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Hi There! Thank you so much for the feedback, just wanna check before I go ther, would the seat still be working and present the battery drain problem, sorry, I'm one of those that should not be working on electronics of sort?
Yes, the seat would still be working and drain the battery. Easy way to diagnose this particular problem is to pull the power seat fuse and if it's still draining, then its something else. Pull both seat fuses.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Originally Posted by Robot L337
To my understanding, c55's were only offered in two years: 2005 & 2006. Anyone know the production numbers?
07 too, but quite rare from my understanding. 07s apparently had actual C63 style paddle shifters too.

I know the production numbers are out there somewhere. I do know for sure that there are very few Canadian market C55s, less than 100 if I remember right. If memory serves, there were only a few thousand made, not like the C63s.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
Originally Posted by Saaboteur
07 too, but quite rare from my understanding. 07s apparently had actual C63 style paddle shifters too.

I know the production numbers are out there somewhere. I do know for sure that there are very few Canadian market C55s, less than 100 if I remember right. If memory serves, there were only a few thousand made, not like the C63s.
I believe in the US it was only '05 and '06...other countries however, may have had those other years. But I've never heard of '04 or '07.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Apologies for going off topic from the original post, but I find it hard to resist talking about production numbers and such!

PC Valkyrie's excellent write up re: C32 vs. C55 differences, making mention of MY07 C55s:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...n-c55-c32.html

Formatting's not that good, but here's a cut and paste of the email I got from Mercedes Canada re: Canadian market imports. I figure the cars sold in 07 were MY06s. I think probably only Europe got the MY07s, and they probably only numbered very few. The AMG 40th anniversary book I have at home references the MY07 C55, I think, maybe not directly, but by reference, ie. they mention the MY 07 E63, and then there are pictures of a sprightly looking C55 with 'solid spoke' 5 spoke wheels, not the split spoke design everyone else has.

steven.kastner@mercedes-benz.ca

07/01/2013

Dear Mr. Tong,

Thank you for your enquiry and enthusiasm for the Mercedes-Benz vehicles.

We only have calendar year information, as follows;

2005 = 68 units sold
2006 = 23 units sold
2007 = 3 units sold.

As for the paints available, the earliest profile we have is for MY '07;:
here it is;

(Embedded image moved to file: pic03293.gif)

Kind regards,

Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc.
Retail Division
98 Vanderhoof Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4G-4C9

Steven Kastner
Personal Liaison Manager
Maybach & SLR McLaren
Direct: 416-847-7527
Fax: 416-425-6370
Mob: 416-275-6837
steven.kastner@mercedes-benz.ca
http://www.maybach-manufaktur.com
http://www.slr-club.com
http://www.mercedes-benz.com/sls-amg
http://www.the-best-or-nothing.com
http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/drivingacademy

Last edited by Saaboteur; 02-20-2014 at 09:49 PM.