C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 fog lamp delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 12:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 C55 black on black aka DVS C55, 2007 C230 sport silver on black for the boss
C55 fog lamp delete

I track my car and one of the first things I noticed was brake fade as the day went on with the stock brakes. I upgraded the pads to EBC yellows, added Stoptech SS brake lines all the way around and went with Motul 600. In addition I decided to delete the fog lamps to get more air to the front brakes. I bought grill mesh off of ebay, bent it to make it look stock (multiple tries), got new clips off of ebay (dozen for ~$10US), painted the new grills and clipped it in. An L bracket was made out of metal to hold the temperature sensor (or else the dash shows -40F) I am still in the process of adding a smaller windshield washer jug and adding pass through with vents in the wheel well but here are some initial pics of the fog lamp deletes. and as it goes "apologies for the crap pictures, I will post more later"....

And FYI to return to stock: 4 clips to get the delete grills off. Add the fog light and 2 bolts, reinsert the temp sensor back into the factory grill, then clip in the factory grills to return to the stock look...
Attached Thumbnails C55 fog lamp delete-2.27.14-grill-328.jpg   C55 fog lamp delete-2.27.14-grill-329.jpg   C55 fog lamp delete-2.27.14-grill-333.jpg   C55 fog lamp delete-2.27.14-grill-334.jpg  

Last edited by EDgineered; 02-27-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
interesting, maybe you can add some DRL LED's (high quality) and attach them like the clk63BS. Still retaining the airflow
Old 02-27-2014, 08:09 AM

2005 C55 black on black aka DVS C55, 2007 C230 sport silver on black for the boss
Originally Posted by maverik259
interesting, maybe you can add some DRL LED's (high quality) and attach them like the clk63BS. Still retaining the airflow

Great suggestion. If it could be done to look like a C63 I imagine it could look pretty good, but not for my car.

I wasn't aware that the CLK or C Black Series cars had Daytime Running Lamp LEDS.
Attached Thumbnails C55 fog lamp delete-2012-mercedes-benz-c63-amg-coupe-first-drive-02-610x404.jpg  

Last edited by EDgineered; 02-27-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
Originally Posted by EDgineered
I track my car and one of the first things I noticed was brake fade as the day went on with the stock brakes. I upgraded the pads to EBC yellows, added Stoptech SS brake lines all the way around and went with Motul 600. In addition I decided to delete the fog lamps to get more air to the front brakes. I bought grill mesh off of ebay, bent it to make it look stock (multiple tries), got new clips off of ebay (dozen for ~$10US), painted the new grills and clipped it in. An L bracket was made out of metal to hold the temperature sensor (or else the dash shows -40F) I am still in the process of adding a smaller windshield washer jug and adding pass through with vents in the wheel well but here are some initial pics of the fog lamp deletes. and as it goes "apologies for the crap pictures, I will post more later"....

And FYI to return to stock: 4 clips to get the delete grills off. Add the fog light and 2 bolts, reinsert the temp sensor back into the factory grill, then clip in the factory grills to return to the stock look...
Looks very good. Have you been back to the track to see if the brake fade was better? I'm curious to know because i may hit the track once this year as I did with my 335i. With that car i used the stock brakes and only changed to Mutol 600. That alone did the trick for the 3 days i was there, no fade. That car was about just as heavy as the c55 since it was AWD. It also had fogs etc... I'm just wondering if deleting it actually made that much of a difference, because changing the brake lines / new brake pads with the vented rotors should probably be enough?
Old 02-27-2014, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Duncan64
Looks very good. Have you been back to the track to see if the brake fade was better? I'm curious to know because i may hit the track once this year as I did with my 335i. With that car i used the stock brakes and only changed to Mutol 600. That alone did the trick for the 3 days i was there, no fade. That car was about just as heavy as the c55 since it was AWD. It also had fogs etc... I'm just wondering if deleting it actually made that much of a difference, because changing the brake lines / new brake pads with the vented rotors should probably be enough?

Scheduled to go to the track in March and again in May and will update. I'm building the car for long term track use and keeping the temps down as much as possible will not only help in braking but help the caliper piston seals, caliper paint, wheel bearings, wheel paint, etc. last longer, too. I need to come up with a low-budget way to test the wheel well temps with and without the additional venting. Any ideas on how to do this on the cheap?

In addition to cooling I wanted to try a different look, a little more Black Series-ish. I will start a build thread soon on my over all plans for the car.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
You can help this too by gettins some plumbing type ribbed tubing to run from the back of the grille to the inside of the caliper. Like the ones they use for gutters etc
Old 02-27-2014, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
It came out really nice. Looks sharp with just grills- good work!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:35 PM

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts
E55 AMG
Looks clean, very W220 S55.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
nice work
Old 03-02-2014, 08:18 AM

C55 AMG
Scheduled to go to the track in March and again in May and will update. I'm building the car for long term track use and keeping the temps down as much as possible will not only help in braking but help the caliper piston seals, caliper paint, wheel bearings, wheel paint, etc. last longer, too. I need to come up with a low-budget way to test the wheel well temps with and without the additional venting. Any ideas on how to do this on the cheap? In addition to cooling I wanted to try a different look, a little more Black Series-ish. I will start a build thread soon on my over all plans for the car.
That's very cool, good luck with it. I know a BMW track guy that did use duck-work type material to direct air from the fog delete to his calipers with pretty good results. Home-depot style
Old 03-23-2014, 08:16 PM

2014 E350
Ive been wanting to do the foglight delete but cant find anything. Ill look on ebay
Old 03-26-2014, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic

Looks great, I'd like to do the same. Please post your ebay source for the grills and clips. A DYI post would be great as well. Good luck at the track.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:38 PM

Tools and supplies:
small flat screw driver
wire cutters
regular pliers
sheet metal snips for trimming the mesh
electrical tape, Super 33+ is the best
2 small baggies to cover fog lamp plug
2 zip ties
sheet of grill mesh
bag of grill clips, minimum 8
can of black spray paint
Working time: 1-2 hours depending on your skills
Best done: daytime but without direct sun to the front of the car

Grill Removal: Use a small screw driver and jam between the clip and the grill to pop out the grill. They will break if original, new parts below

Fog Lamp removal: There are 2, maybe three small bolts to secure the fog lamp. It comes out pretty easy. Some zip ties to cut, too. Cover the now loose plug with some elec tape, plastic baggie and zip tie out of the way. If you accidentally turn on the fog lamps it will pop up on the dash but will go away if you turn off the car. It wont come on at all if you don't pull the switch then or later.

Making the Grill: Take the mesh and snips and cut a piece about 4 inches larger than a stock grill.
Using the stock grill as a "where to stop" guide, cut relief cuts in the mesh stopping short of the actual size of the factory grill but make sure to leave wide areas for where the grill clips attach
Slowly bend the mesh to make it begin to match the shape of the factory grill. The bending is done by hand and pliers.
Remove excess material with the snips but leave the extra mesh where the clips will grab
Flip the remaining long sections over multiple times to create a new "grab" area for the clips. A few times is enough. And you can crush if needed with pliers.
With enough trimming and adjusting you will end up with what looks similar to a factory grill but made entirely out of mesh.
Spray paint black and good to go.

TIPS: Use blue tape to protect the opening from before you pull the fog lamp
Make sure to orientate the mesh before cutting it up. One way it can be see through from above, the other way not so much
Visually and physically test fit as you trim, bend, trim, bend, trim, bend. I rushed and wasted some material.
You will probably mess up a grill or two
Take your time

Mesh: Ebay: search: 12" X 48" UNIVERSAL ALUMINUM GRILL GRILLE DIAMOND CUSTOM MESH SECTION BLACK
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-X-48-UNIVERSAL-ALUMINUM-GRILL-GRILLE-DIAMOND-CUSTOM-MESH-SECTION-BLACK-/360778794908?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540017879c&vxp=mtr

Clips: Ebay: search: Mercedes W164 W230 ML350 ML320 For Bumper Grille Fastener Clip Set of 12 O.E.M.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw....E.M.&_sacat=0

****NOTE**** In the picture below you will see I tried to make a wire rim but that was a no go. The mesh only grill is an early example of what you will end up with.
Attached Thumbnails C55 fog lamp delete-2.27.14-grill-218.jpg  

Last edited by EDgineered; 03-26-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:13 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '89 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
Originally Posted by Duncan64
That's very cool, good luck with it. I know a BMW track guy that did use duck-work type material to direct air from the fog delete to his calipers with pretty good results. Home-depot style
That works best if you're boiling the fluid in the calipers. I did the same thing ages ago on a BMW 3-series. It eliminated the pedal to floor sensation after parked but didn't do much for fading as I recall.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:45 PM

2014 E350
Exactly what I needed thanks!
Old 03-28-2014, 08:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 C55

well if you track your car I assume then you would be interested in articulating CLK DTM upper strut plates so you can run any 60mm race spring

Old 05-28-2014, 12:58 PM

Just a random picture I had from outside with the fog lamp delete
Attached Thumbnails C55 fog lamp delete-5.19.14-090.jpg  
Old 05-28-2014, 02:00 PM

C55 AMG
Just a random picture I had from outside with the fog lamp delete
Nice Edgineering