C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Used C32 vs. 2004.5-2005 C230K Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used C32 vs. 2004.5-2005 C230K Sedan

Here's my dilemma: In the next six months I will most likely be getting a Mercedes Benz C-Class in the neighbrhood of $35K.
I have two options, a brand new C230K Sports Sedan pretty much fully loaded or a used (2002 or possibly 2003 C32). I would like your fair opinions on why I should choose either one and why.

-C230K Sports Sedan-

Pros-New car (new car smell, choice of colors, all options, everything equated with getting a brand new car), full warranty.

Cons-Can't stand the updated 3 spoke steering wheel, not enough power, the standard C-Class.

-C32-

Pros-It's a C32, need I say more (more powerful engine, more attractive exterior), great power, sleeper, more attractive, rare.

Cons-It's either going be a 2002 or possibly a 2003 if the prices come low enough, In the neighbrhood of 25-30K miles, more expensive insurance, loves gas, only half of the warranty left and probably wont get Starmark as I will be buying from an independent dealer, Probably not the exact color options I want, trying to find one that hasn't been abused.

I know that the cons outweigh the pros for the C32 but thats always going be the case when comapring a used vehicle to a new one.

Please keep in mind repair costs, maintainence, etc. when factoring this in.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:07 PM

xx
I just bought an 02 C32 with 8,614 miles on it for $37,475. It has navigation, visor, heated washers, rain sensor, xenon, etc. (no CD changer). It has 2 1/2 years / 40,000 miles left of warranty. You forgot to mention one used C32 pro/ new c class con:
Used C32-let somebody else have that first big chunk of depreciation
New non-C32-You take the big depreciation hit in the first year or so (see now you can think of the used C32 as the fiscally responsible move
For me the two c class options you mentioned are like the difference between a twin turbo supra and an n/a supra. Totally different cars. You'll always kick yourself for not getting a C32 if you go the other way. Either car has repairs and maintainence taken care of under warranty. Good luck in your search.

Kevin
Old 12-07-2003, 07:25 PM

Kevin-
Good points, I see where your coming from and I am obviously leaning towards the C32, the practical side of me is just trying to justify the extra money uprfont (and for insurance, gas, etc.) for the C32. You got an great deal on your C32, where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking and how long were you searching for?

Thanks for the advice
Old 12-07-2003, 07:55 PM

xx
Originally posted by Turbo2
Kevin-
Good points, I see where your coming from and I am obviously leaning towards the C32, the practical side of me is just trying to justify the extra money uprfont (and for insurance, gas, etc.) for the C32. You got an great deal on your C32, where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking and how long were you searching for?

Thanks for the advice
The gas consumption is only a hair worse than what I'm used to (GS400). My insurance did go up a bit (no cars off policy, C32 and 1 extra driver added). I looked seriously for about 3 weeks. The car was at a Pontiac dealer in IL. Use autotrader.com and do a national search. You can negotiate shipping into your deal. That's what I originally did ($38K w/ shipping). Then I decided I couldn't wait and flew up and drove 1,200 miles home with it the next day. When you get the kind of deal I got (around KBB TRADE vs KBB RETAIL) your lending institution (if not paying cash) will usually loan enough to cover all fees (sales tax, tag, title, shipping, etc.). My credit union was running a promotion of 3.49% until year's end. So I signed on at that rate and said make it 72 months (that low a rate is like free money so why not)? I had some starmarked cars offered to me pretty low also. With those you get a super long warranty (100K miles?). You may want to negotiate hard to get a starmarked car for under $40K. That should ease your main./ repair worries.

Kevin
Old 12-08-2003, 06:16 AM

2003 A4
Wow, good deal on the C32. I'm looking to spend about the same. I dropped by my local Benz dealership and they had a 2,500 mile c32 2003. Their price was 58,000. Isn't that about what a loaded one would be new? (judging by MBusa)
Oh well, I'll take it on a test drive, and thats about all I'll be doing.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:16 AM
Almost a Member!

Benz
Originally posted by Yenny
Wow, good deal on the C32. I'm looking to spend about the same. I dropped by my local Benz dealership and they had a 2,500 mile c32 2003. Their price was 58,000. Isn't that about what a loaded one would be new? (judging by MBusa)
Oh well, I'll take it on a test drive, and thats about all I'll be doing.
Is that 58,000 CDN or US? If it's CDN, then it's not that bad.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:57 PM

MIATA
Hi there guys,
I was going to post with the same question as TURBO2 but ACCOMPLICE8 answered it for me. I was looking at getting a brand new C320 but really wanted a C32 just new I couldn't afford a new one. If I can get a year and half old one with around 12000 miles for around 38K than thats going to be my new ride. Now for another question. All the reliability problems that I've been reading about on MBZ forums. Its scary to spend that kind of money on a dud of a car. I know any car maker can make a lemon, but I was wondering how these cars turn out. I don't mind having to replace window motors or regulators 3 or 4 years down the line. I can also deal with a water pump on a 60k or 70k mile car. What is unacceptable to me are dead trannys or blown up rear ends or blown head gaskets. Those I consider major problems. The other stuff I can do on my own. Also I see that there is a lot of things that get to be programed or need to be reprogramed by the dealer when replaced on these cars. Is there a way to have access to these programs in case they are needed. Can a do it yourselfer buy troubleshooting aids for these cars or can an independent mechanic help with these type of problems or are we stuck with the dealers. From prior experience of other brand new cars, I've come to the conclusion that the dealers are a bunch of thiefs that will shaft you every chance they get. I'm sorry if I offended any one with that statement but the things that dealers have tried to do to me prove my statement even though I know that there are some good honest mechanics at the dealers out there. Sorry for the ranting just got carried away. Also how do the superchargers hold up on these cars.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:01 PM

2003 A4
The above mentioned 58,000 was in USD.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:41 PM
rrf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look at the brake rotors (front and rear), brake pads, and tires too, do a little math. That will tell you how the previous owner drove it. Pads seem to last about 1/2 as long as rotors. Tires will vary.

Get a good used C32, skip the new C230K. You won't ever look back. My wife doesn't get to drive my car often, and she usually acts like she doesn't even care. Then when she comes home from her commute in the C32, she has this sinful look on her face like she just had an affair on the freeway. Of course she wants to trade again, no chance.

Don't worry about the C55, that is a sideways move by MB not a big upgrade.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:16 AM

rrf-
Thanks for the advice, Im not too worried about the C55, I like forced induction cars better...plus theres more room for additonal HP if you so desire.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I was in the same situation a few months ago. I was looking at an 02 Starmarked C32 and a non Starmarked 03 at an Infiniti dealer. My biggest worries is the abuse these vehicles may have endured by the previous owners. After all, this is a high performance vehicle begging to be driven! This is especially worse if it was a leased vehicle. Don't believe what a CarFAX report tells you. Take it from me, I work for one of the 3 major US car insurers. The car may have had $20k of repairs done to it prior and it may not even show up in the CarFAX! Of course my trained eye can usually spot those repairs. But not everyone can (not saying I'm good at it but I have looked at over 10,000 vehicles so far).

If you are going to buy a C32, I would get a Starmarked one even though it would cost more and get an extended warranty. I factored all of the costs, the what-ifs and what happened before and the purchase of a new C230 or C320 and ended up with a 04.5 C320 Sports Pkg. My wife was concerned about buying a used car, she even allowed a purchase of a new one. At that point, I really started feeling guilty of the larger car payment and compromised on the C320.

I will always remember that C32 test drive and it will never be the same for me. I envy you AMG owners. I guess I need to figure a way to make more $$$ so I won't feel so guilty buying a new AMG.

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2003, 07:56 PM

C32
consider the a starmarked C32

Since C32's tend to be driven hard and are not exactly trouble-free, I agree that you should do your best to get a Starmarked 02 model. The changes between 02 and 04 are subtle as you won't be bi-xenons (got the smokey cover on the lights), which many here have done their own aftermarket upgrades and they seem to be pretty simple.

A brand new C230K sedan will run you around 35K with a decent list of options, but there is room for negotiation and will depend on your area. You should get good responses posting this price question on the general C class forum.

A C32 will feel different from a 230, as there are more than just the engine. Consider the suspension and brake upgrades and both cars, in stock form, renders a difference between night and day.

Frankly, if I am considering a C230K I would look at the following seriously:
- Infiniti G35
- Lexus IS
- BMW 325i

The three cars above, though may not be as luxurious, will give you more performance for your money. The C32, however, is in a different league and competes with the M3 and S4.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:11 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
not really $35k depends on what kind of options do you want. A friend of mine got the 03 C230k sedan in May for $31k out of door. It has auto, moon-roof, and CD changer. Pretty good deal I think.

if it's up closer to the $35k range I would too consider the G35, and the IS300. You can probably find a no option 330i for that price too.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 Coupe
If your spending 35K, you are pretty close to a C320. Not a lot of options, but you can get one for that price. Most dealers will come down 2K, so you can get a few options.

If you got'a have the speed and you don't mind used, get the C32. I think either way, your going to spend about the same.