C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

WIS vs STAR Service Manual

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 07:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
C 32 AMG & FG2 Civic Si
WIS vs STAR Service Manual

Hi guys, I ordered the MB WIS off of eBay for like 20 bucks and now I'm reading about the STAR DVD as well. Could someone explain the difference between the two and what each is intended for? Which is easier to use? Is one newer than the other?

I want step by step guides on how to perform maintenance and things like that.

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2014, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
In a nutshell, the Star Classic DVD is a vehicle specific digital repair guide. The WIS is a digital repair guide for every model Mercedes-Benz dating back to the 1980's. The Star Classic is a subset of the WIS.

I've got a W208 Start Classic DVD and several copies of the WIS. My latest copy of the WIS is the 2012 version and there is no comparison between that and the Star Classic DVD. The 2012 version of the WIS has the EPC embedded. You simply enter a VIN and the WIS determines the model and applicable services. The Star Classic is a good tool, but you will have to do a fair amount of searching to find various service procedures. Ditto for the 2005 version, but the 2005 is the easiest to duplicate. The 2005, 2007, and 2009 versions of the WIS are barbaric in comparison to 2012 and they don't have the EPC built in. For them, that's a separate piece of software. 2005 came on 4 or 5 CDs, 2007 and 2009 came on two DVDs and 2012 comes on four DVDs. The 2005 WIS will only run under XP. Well, let me correct that, I've only been able to get it to run under XP. I've gotten the 2007 and 2009 versions to run under an XP partition under Vista, but NOT 2005. If you're running Windows 7 professional or ultimate, the 2012 WIS will install pretty easily but it must be done in the XP partition. The install docs for both the 2012 and 2005 versions are here. My W208 Star Classic will only run under XP and it takes specialized software to duplicate it. YMMV.

Once upon a way back when (circa 2005), someone on this forum tried a "pay it forward" for the WIS. Some sap burns two copies and GIVES THEM AWAY - postage included. Each of the two recipients burn two copies and they GIVE THOSE AWAY - postage included. I figured within a month, every MB owner in the US would have a copy of the WIS. Here we are, 10 years later. I guess "pay it forward" didn't quite work out.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:15 PM

C 32 AMG & FG2 Civic Si
Wow, thanks for all the info. So would you say the WIS is easier to use? Does it contain basic procedures too or only more complicated ones? I intend to use this service manual for basic maintenance for the most part, especially as I'm a perfectionist, I always like to double check to make sure I'm doing things the correct way.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:24 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Marcus, are the newer versions any easier to use? I must have 2009 and navigation was awful. I guess all Germans use XP still?
Old 08-04-2014, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
One last thing, if your copy of the WIS is a no-name copy. Meaning, it wasn't sold by a dealer tech who was "disposing of an old WIS when the new ones came in" and it wasn't copied by someone you trust - you might want to consider making sure you have very good virus protection on your PC. Or better yet, ONLY use that PC for car repairs and NEVER for banking.

Why? Every copy of the WIS I've ever used checked to see if it "could" connect to the web. It didn't connect, but it checked. If my virus software said "no", the WIS defaulted to German. I don't read German, so I don't know what it said. The wrench who sold me my first copy told me what was wrong and as soon as I told the virus software the WIS was "ok", everything was alright. Why is that important? Some people have installed copies of the WIS and later found their PCs to be infected. If you bought your copy from The Captain or Crazy Dave, it's safe. Both of those guys get their copies from dealer wrenches before they fire up their copy software.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by tw2
Marcus, are the newer versions any easier to use? I must have 2009 and navigation was awful. I guess all Germans use XP still?
I know what you mean and 2012 is CAKE. That was the last one I installed. Next to 2012, the earlier versions really are pathetic.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:54 PM

C 32 AMG & FG2 Civic Si
Oh boy, now I'm getting worried. Would any basic, free antivirus software work? I don't usually use Windows but I have my MacBook Pro set up with two hard drives, one Windows 7 and one Mac OS X. I rarely use the Windows one but that doesn't mean I want it to get infected by viruses!

But I'm a bit confused. Do you mean that even legit versions of the WIS need antivirus turned off?

And I've read somewhere that a lot of these eBay WISes are setup to run in a virtual machine, like VMWare or Parallels. If that's the case (which I will find out tomorrow when it's delivered), would that protect my actual system from viruses?

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2014, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
You don't turn the AV software off. Good antivirus software will alert you to the fact that the WIS is trying to use an IP port. Software usually doesn't do this, so the AV will ask if it's OK. If you tell the AV software "no" then the WIS will revert to German. If you tell the AV "yes" then the WIS will function normally. This is normal. If good spyware is bundled with the WIS, the spyware won't need special permission to use a port. It will track keystrokes and forward the info when you're on the net. If you get the WIS from a trusted source, this won't be a problem.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Gee, I wonder who that poor sap was?!?

I googled up how to add a partition for Windows 7 - but now that XP is no longer supported, where would one acquire the XP software to actually install it into the partition?
Old 08-05-2014, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Gee, I wonder who that poor sap was?!? I googled up how to add a partition for Windows 7 - but now that XP is no longer supported, where would one acquire the XP software to actually install it into the partition?
If you have win7 ultimate then there is an option to create a xp virtual machine.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-in-windows-7

Last edited by Duncan64; 08-05-2014 at 06:12 PM.