C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 ESP NOT ACCELERATING HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 09:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
03 E55
C32 ESP NOT ACCELERATING HELP!

Ran into a ESP problem. I got a flat last week in the rear passenger side and put my spare tire on. The spares tire size was 225/40/17 and the other rear side was 245/45/17. I kept the spare on for about 4 days and in those 4 days I was getting a "Visit ESP workshop" message and the car barley accelerates and will hardly go past 2,000 rpms

I finally got new rear tires and put the right of psi in them and no ESP message that whole day. The next morning I wake up to go to work and after 5 minutes of driving ESP message comes back on.

Took the car to a local mechanic that I trust and has worked on my car before and they pulled up a steering angle sensor code. Those things are expensive! I decided to go with a used one with the same exact part number..changed it myself. Out goes the old in goes the used and now I get 2 different messages...1.) ESP not available 2.) SRS message

Somebody told me that it has to be programmed to my car but I don't know. Anyone know what is the real problem?
Old 02-29-2016, 01:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E250 cdi
try this, put the original sensor back on and then start the car,if the esp comes on again, turn steering wheel full to the right and again full to the left.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:40 AM

03 E55
Originally Posted by Sickooli
try this, put the original sensor back on and then start the car,if the esp comes on again, turn steering wheel full to the right and again full to the left.
I did put the original sensor in and tried the steering wheel thing many times. I think once the sensor is removed, even if you put the original one back on it has to be reprogrammed. Supposedly it's not too common for the sensor to go bad..
Old 02-29-2016, 01:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E250 cdi
ok,take off the negative from the battery wait ten minutes, and do the steering wheel procedure again.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:18 AM

03 E55
ok,take off the negative from the battery wait ten minutes, and do the steering wheel procedure again.
Didn't work. I had the new steering angle sensor programmed and re calibrated and nothing. I did take off my whole intake system and put it back on and all of the sudden after driving for 5 mins the car got its power back. Now the next day no power again. Thinking a vacuum leak is the problem or the throttle body. Also my valve cover gaskets are going to need change and that can be causing it also. Won't know till someone here helps me out or I just keep trying to fix things little by little
Old 03-03-2016, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
Won't know till someone here helps me out or I just keep trying to fix things little by little
You can keep shotgunning parts at this or go get a diagnostic scan done.
The following users liked this post:
RenC55AMG (03-04-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C32 AMG
It electrical for sure, I have 2 years of headaches and it was 95% electrical. The garage told me to change this and that actually almost everything and the car was still unreliable it would die anytime. Finally I took control and changed the whole engine harness and cleaned all earthing points and sealed them and the car has been good these last 4 years and I sold all of the items I bought for the car, got back over $1500 from parts.

Originally Posted by Bigpapistu
Didn't work. I had the new steering angle sensor programmed and re calibrated and nothing. I did take off my whole intake system and put it back on and all of the sudden after driving for 5 mins the car got its power back. Now the next day no power again. Thinking a vacuum leak is the problem or the throttle body. Also my valve cover gaskets are going to need change and that can be causing it also. Won't know till someone here helps me out or I just keep trying to fix things little by little

Trending Topics

Old 03-03-2016, 09:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Porsche 2004 911
Originally Posted by johnng117
It electrical for sure, I have 2 years of headaches and it was 95% electrical. The garage told me to change this and that actually almost everything and the car was still unreliable it would die anytime. Finally I took control and changed the whole engine harness and cleaned all earthing points and sealed them and the car has been good these last 4 years and I sold all of the items I bought for the car, got back over $1500 from parts.
Once you read the codes if it is p0120 view post #41 has the parts etc - it cleared my electrical issues when i had the car (WOT cut out - lumpy idle surges etc).
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...y-p0120-2.html
Old 03-03-2016, 10:33 PM

03 E55
Originally Posted by macbryanie
Once you read the codes if it is p0120 view post #41 has the parts etc - it cleared my electrical issues when i had the car (WOT cut out - lumpy idle surges etc).
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...y-p0120-2.html

No codes, the only code I got was a steering angle sensor and that was fix and still ESP is on. Last night I took off my intake system to just look around. Decided to clean the breather hose for some reason (it had some oil around it and inside so I decided to clean it) I put it back together, drove the car and I stepped on the gas all the way (after 2,000 rpms) the car went up to 3,000 rpms and all of the sudden got its power back and took off like it should. The car started driving like normal for the rest of the day then as I'm coming home I get ESP message again. Woke up in the morning, cleaned the tube again and did the same thing after 3,000 rpms. Worked for a couple hours then came up again. At this point I've spent countless time and money on diagnostics and stuff and really don't feel like paying anymore for no reason and nobody being able to figure out the problem. For now I'm going to change the valve cover gaskets and clean the motor out really good and see what happens from there
Old 03-04-2016, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
I know you said you have paid too much in diagnostic fees but have you take it to the dealer or someone with star. I found that reading the printout from a star set up will point to your actual problem.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:05 PM

2002 C32 AMG
If you don't take it to a garage with a proper code reader like STAR you are just guessing and don't expect it to be reliable, you be just leaving things to chance.
I had my car check with STAR from day 1, and not all the time the STAR is correct you have to take the codes and judge for your self like a good doctor.
Without STAR you can get lucky.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:30 AM

03 E55
Today ESP worked for about 10 minutes. I decided to have a little fun and do some burnouts. I noticed that my left rear tire wasn't spinning at all and my right one spinning like it should and making all the smoke. Below is a picture
Old 03-11-2016, 02:27 AM

03 E55
UPDATE: valve cover gaskets fixed and still same problem

Took it for a STAR and supercharger code came up. Didn't exactly say what it was though. He told me he's going to have to remove the supercharger and check sensors and the supercharger itself

I still believe it has something to do with air or vacuum leak. Probably from the crankcase tubes or the tube that connects the intake system to the valve. I cleaned those 2 different times and the car ran like it should (there was oil inside the tubes) but now when I do it no more luck...today I put hose clamps on all 3 tubes, cleaned the throttle body, and sprayed electric contact on the plug and the harness... it seemed like it was trying to catch its power but eventually gave up and ESP message came back on.

Some people here have said they have changed the hoses and the tubes and worked for them
Old 03-11-2016, 02:56 AM

2002 C32 AMG
I hope I'm wrong, but I quite certain it's nothing to do with the mechanical parts it's electrical so removing the supercharger will not help it sounds like a guess to do something.
I've worked with 3 C32 and what worked well for me is changing the harness and making sure the ground is good, these cars are old and the W202 are prone for harness problems so I guess the w203 is better but still has its faults. The harness is the main connection with all the sensors so think about it..

Originally Posted by Bigpapistu
UPDATE: valve cover gaskets fixed and still same problem

Took it for a STAR and supercharger code came up. Didn't exactly say what it was though. He told me he's going to have to remove the supercharger and check sensors and the supercharger itself

I still believe it has something to do with air or vacuum leak. Probably from the crankcase tubes or the tube that connects the intake system to the valve. I cleaned those 2 different times and the car ran like it should (there was oil inside the tubes) but now when I do it no more luck...today I put hose clamps on all 3 tubes, cleaned the throttle body, and sprayed electric contact on the plug and the harness... it seemed like it was trying to catch its power but eventually gave up and ESP message came back on.

Some people here have said they have changed the hoses and the tubes and worked for them
Old 03-18-2016, 07:07 PM

03 E55
Originally Posted by johnng117
I hope I'm wrong, but I quite certain it's nothing to do with the mechanical parts it's electrical so removing the supercharger will not help it sounds like a guess to do something.
I've worked with 3 C32 and what worked well for me is changing the harness and making sure the ground is good, these cars are old and the W202 are prone for harness problems so I guess the w203 is better but still has its faults. The harness is the main connection with all the sensors so think about it..
Can loose spark plug wires cause this or if they hey oil on them?
Old 03-20-2016, 07:00 PM

03 E55
UPDATE: ESP problem is fixed..pulled off a sensor on the left side of the supercharger pulley. It was covered in oil, cleaned it off and now working as good as new. Thanks for trying to help guys!