Thinking of picking up a 2005 C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
Thinking of picking up a 2005 C55

Hello all,

I am thinking of picking up a 2005 C55 with 80k miles on it and this would be my first MB. I've had plenty of Audi's and BMW's, but never a MB.

I've done a lot of research and the C55 seems to be a reliable car. The dealership is offering a powertrain extended warranty for 3 years/36k miles and was wondering if it's worth it. Cost is around $2,500.

I've always bought them on my German cars and they've always paid off. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2016, 09:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
03 E55
Originally Posted by zobr
Hello all,

I am thinking of picking up a 2005 C55 with 80k miles on it and this would be my first MB. I've had plenty of Audi's and BMW's, but never a MB.

I've done a lot of research and the C55 seems to be a reliable car. The dealership is offering a powertrain extended warranty for 3 years/36k miles and was wondering if it's worth it. Cost is around $2,500.

I've always bought them on my German cars and they've always paid off. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Originally Posted by zobr
Hello all,

First of all let me tell you this.....make sure the car has been maintained well and hasn't been sitting at the lot for a long time.

Second, GET the extended warranty, it's well worth it. These cars engine/transmission are absolutely bulletproof! The car is very reliable but for a car over 10 years old you will obviously have problems that come up on that mileage like engine mounts (if they haven't already been replaced).

My repair costs have costed me around $50-600 in just a couple months of owning and maybe 3 repairs: heater core hoses $500 (due to car being stepped on hard because it wasn't driven in 7 months by previous owner), crankshaft sensor $150 and serpentine belt $20 (changed myself)
And I'm on 135k miles my brother has 80k miles on his...

Other then that these cars are meant to be stepped on and won't break anything by doing so like any other car. Also you won't have to worry about any suspension problems like automatic, abs, etc like on e55's s55's, cl55's maybe and maybe only control arm bushing might go bad cause of the age of the car
Old 06-10-2016, 10:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG
Haven't had any other trouble except going through tires. I was offered the extended warranty and turned it down. I haven't regretted the decision since. Although mine was meticulously cared for and had a perfect service record. Major repairs were performed shortly before purchasing by the Mercedes dealer I bought it from. I believe the more common repairs included motor/trans mounts and trans service. If it's been driven hard then flex disc.
It took me along time to track down a vibration in the car when it turned out to be improper balance, cupped tires and spacers that didn't have the correct lip for the wheels to center on. After fixing it the car drives like a dream, the v8 is very noticable in 2-3rd gears merging on the highway.. Even more so with a eurocharged tune. This is my first v8 and I chose it because it's the closest Mercedes ever got to a real American v8.

If I did it over I'd probably go with a clk just because it's a bit smaller, e55 for the Kompressor but the air ride is expensive to fix or save for a c63 but those are known for drivetrain problems.

Last edited by MrMustard; 06-10-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2002 C32AMG
C55 is one of the most reliable MB's ever made. If the car's been well maintained that $2500 warranty would be better spent elsewhere.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 C55
I've owned 2 C55s and I dont think I dropped $2500 between the two of them! In my opnion, I'd save the cash. Engine mounts are about $800 installed where I live. Does the warranty cover wear items? Between that and sparkplugs, nothing else has been an issue with this car. I do not even go through tires like others have mentioned. It is really a solid car. My ONLY issue is the limited production seems to be a gift and a curse. I'd love to throw on some headers, supercharger, etc, but most parts for this car are RARE. I had an issue with a cracked wheel and could barely figure out a replacement.

Good luck
Old 06-11-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG
Originally Posted by blacksage
I've owned 2 C55s and I dont think I dropped $2500 between the two of them! In my opnion, I'd save the cash. Engine mounts are about $800 installed where I live. Does the warranty cover wear items? Between that and sparkplugs, nothing else has been an issue with this car. I do not even go through tires like others have mentioned. It is really a solid car. My ONLY issue is the limited production seems to be a gift and a curse. I'd love to throw on some headers, supercharger, etc, but most parts for this car are RARE. I had an issue with a cracked wheel and could barely figure out a replacement.

Good luck
In my case the tires went bad due to improper balancing and over inflation. But I agree finding wheels are a nightmare. You'll have to go custom if you want something that fits correctly, like HRE. There are honestly really no options that have the correct offsets required. And if you do you won't be able to fit them because of the front spring perches - requiring you to buy coilovers.
But overall 90% of the money if put into the car has been for cosmetic needs and not maintance. Find a good Merc Indy shop to do your service unless you don't mind getting your hands dirty - for me it's a time vs cost savings. $90 for a service A from a Indy where I can work in their waiting room, or waste a fourth of a day doing the oil - and I won't get a carfax check for service for doing it myself. Also cost of parts are comparable to that of any other car on the road, just don't buy from the dealer.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
I may be selling mine in the fall...

Although it does have 185,000 miles

Trending Topics

Old 06-11-2016, 12:35 PM

C55 AMG
Imo buy 1 with a good service history with lowish miles and save the money on not getting a warranty.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:27 PM

BMW
Thanks guys.

The one I'm looking at comes with an insane amount of service records. Car seems to be excellent mechanically, just some minor cosmetic issues but thats expected for an 11 year old car.

It was a blast to drive it today. I'm making an offer and hope to be picking it up soon.