C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

New to me C55 AMG ...issues, issues, issues

Old 10-25-2017, 04:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG
New to me C55 AMG ...issues, issues, issues

Well let me start off saying i know i got hosed on this deal. I went into it knowing i would probably do some fixing but its quite a few things. Power steering pump pulley is vibrating and making a sound. My reverse lights are not working along with my right brake signal and my left turn signal in the rear. There is some green liquid in the brake resivor that i think maybe coolant because it looks just like what is in the coolant resvior. On top of all that i believe it needs motor mounts cause when i brake hard it feels like i have a body moving around in the trunk lol. I have a second car so i can take my time and fix but im a little pissed off with all the issues i have to fix. Oh forgot to mention i have a pretty bad oil leak which i think might be coming from the valve cover gasket or the oil pan cause it is leaving a large puddle of oil on my garage floor every morning, about a glass full. I am going to tackle the most important things first which is the oil leak. Even though all these issues the engine and trans seem fine. Car starts up like a brand new car and trans shifts smooth.

Anybody have any advice on if fixinig electrical issue son these cars are pricey or not? I am going to find a good independent cause i never touch the dealer for anything.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 Granite Gray C55
The rear tail lights and all may just be the bulbs themselves. It is fairly inexpensive, easy to find and match at any auto store, and takes less than a minute to swap out.
Engine mounts usually go bad around approx. 100k miles anyways, time to replace them.

Regarding the oil check, check inside the engine bay. The valve cover gaskets have a square edge pointed outwards, if it looks wet then most likely its the valve covers.
Just check around the engine bay areas.

On the subject of other issues, I'm sure some forum members can chime in on that.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 AMG
The only way coolant is in the brake reservoir is if someone put it there. No offense but it sounds like u hosed yourself? Everything u mentioned should have been obvious even to a newbie. The good news is everything should be relatively cheap to fix. It is a twelve year old car. How much did u pay for this POS that was 55k new? Sorry if i sound rude but again its a twelve year old German sports car. You didn't do a pre purchase inspection on an AMG and couldnt see most of these issues???? Sounds like you have an idea how to address the known issues in order of importance.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:37 AM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by sker13
The only way coolant is in the brake reservoir is if someone put it there. No offense but it sounds like u hosed yourself? Everything u mentioned should have been obvious even to a newbie. The good news is everything should be relatively cheap to fix. It is a twelve year old car. How much did u pay for this POS that was 55k new? Sorry if i sound rude but again its a twelve year old German sports car. You didn't do a pre purchase inspection on an AMG and couldnt see most of these issues???? Sounds like you have an idea how to address the known issues in order of importance.

just sto checked again and it is not coolant in the resivour but the fluid does have a greenish tint to it. I didn't do a pre purchase inspection on it as i travelled about 3 hours to get it and did not get there until about 7pm. I did look over the car and saw the tail light working cause the lights were on and did not really pay attention to the color of the power steering fluid cause I didn't know what color the fluid should be. The car ran good and pulled good and all electronics worked on inside. This is my first AMG so I'm getting used to MB. I am a former Dodge, BMW M guy.

I did not mention that I did try replacing the bulbs in the tail lights and some of them still do not work. Could this be the SAM module? I see the Sam the trunk and it only has about 6-7 fuses in it. Do you know we're I can find a diagram layout of what fuse goes we're. None of the fuses were blown. I will check again when it is light out.

I do do plan on fixing this car up and enjoying it even though I have to do some fixing I am happy with the car. By the way I paid $4300 for it cause it has a rebuilt title.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:57 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
The power steering uses Pentosin CH11S, which is green in color. Could this be the power steering reservoir (front of engine) you are checking? Sounds like you know what you are doing, so I doubt it, I'm just throwing a bone out there. Maybe someone put Pentosin in the brake reservoir. I would flush the brakes to be safe anyway.

Oil leak could also be the transmission electrical connector on the front right of the tranny. Get it up on jack stands, remove the trays, and poke around. Most likely it is the valve cover gaskets, which fail on every MB I have owned. New gaskets and RTV sealant will cure that fast. It's a DIY job.

All late model MB's require preventative maintenance, and the older ones take plain old fixes for stuff getting old. Everyone here has been there, so don't lose faith, but ask for help, or search the forum for fixes.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:44 PM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by kbob999
The power steering uses Pentosin CH11S, which is green in color. Could this be the power steering reservoir (front of engine) you are checking? Sounds like you know what you are doing, so I doubt it, I'm just throwing a bone out there. Maybe someone put Pentosin in the brake reservoir. I would flush the brakes to be safe anyway.

Oil leak could also be the transmission electrical connector on the front right of the tranny. Get it up on jack stands, remove the trays, and poke around. Most likely it is the valve cover gaskets, which fail on every MB I have owned. New gaskets and RTV sealant will cure that fast. It's a DIY job.

All late model MB's require preventative maintenance, and the older ones take plain old fixes for stuff getting old. Everyone here has been there, so don't lose faith, but ask for help, or search the forum for fixes.

Hey thanks for the support kbob. I see oil around the right side of the engine and it looks like it is coming from the valve cover. So you maybe right about the valve cover gasket. I will be taking it to my mechanic when he comes back from vacation. Is there a DIY on replacing the valve cover gasket? Just kinda curious of how involved the job is. Also regarding my tail lights well some of them at least dont turn on. Could that be the SAM module?
Old 10-26-2017, 03:31 PM

Here's a simple valve cover gasket DIY explanation...needs more pictures: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...-cleaning.html
And another from one of our favorite vendors - good one: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm
I used a Permatex RTV oil proof sealant, not the MB stuff. Why? Because the MB stuff failed, so it will fail again, and again. Better to try something different that may last forever. And it looks better with a blue sealant squeezing out of the covers.

As for the lights not working - it can be a list of things. The car was salvage, so it likely had major rebuilding, and who knows if they cut wires, have a bad ground, or forgot to hook stuff up. Check for voltage at the light and work your way upstream until you find some juice. Could be fuses, connectors, bulbs, cut wires, SAM, etc. Don't start at the most expensive thing...save that for last.

Best money spent is getting a Star Diagnostic Scan (SDS) to look the car over. You are likely to find seat heaters that are broken, HVAC motors not working, and a host of other things that may/may not need to be fixed. Find a local MB forum fan, or independent mechanic that has one. Priceless.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:35 PM

Forgot to mention...the under body tray can hold about 2 cups of oil, so you should remove and clean the trays first.
Leave them off for a few days/weeks and it will help pinpoint where the oil is coming from.
Once you fix everything, put them back on and drive it like a new car.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
First off, lol...

But let's start:
1) Green fluid - in the PS reservoir, the Pentosin CHF11S is green (or probably black if it's old)
2) Brake fluid - should always be gold in color, although really old and used fluid does have a greenish black tint to it
3) Rear bulbs - could be a multitude of things
4) Leaking oil - rear main seal and valve covers are very common on this engine

Overall, if you paid $4,300 for this awesome car, you didn't get hosed. You just know you gotta do some fixes and for a little bit of money you still have an awesome car. Rebuilt is a little scary, but still it was less than $5k so just enjoy it
The following users liked this post:
RLNY (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 09:02 PM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Viper98912
First off, lol...

But let's start:
1) Green fluid - in the PS reservoir, the Pentosin CHF11S is green (or probably black if it's old)
2) Brake fluid - should always be gold in color, although really old and used fluid does have a greenish black tint to it
3) Rear bulbs - could be a multitude of things
4) Leaking oil - rear main seal and valve covers are very common on this engine

Overall, if you paid $4,300 for this awesome car, you didn't get hosed. You just know you gotta do some fixes and for a little bit of money you still have an awesome car. Rebuilt is a little scary, but still it was less than $5k so just enjoy it

As far as the rear bulbs go i have added new bulbs and they dont work so we can rule that out. I looked at the sam module in the trunk and i see that location: 5,6,7,11,13,14,16,17,18,19,20 is empty. Should there be something in there? I did not get the manual to the car so im not sure if any of those slots pertain to the tail lights. Its a little weird that only 1 break light works but when my head lights are on both tails are illuminated.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Wrong thread
Old 12-31-2017, 07:58 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
C32 amg
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Wrong thread
green in the brake reservoir is water it’s caused when condensation occurs it changes colour to green, it needs to be flushed out, and u will be fine, u also need a new bulb carrier for the lights that are out very cheap 50-60 bucks, for new bulb carrier hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
Dmylandsr (10-23-2022)
Old 12-31-2017, 08:57 AM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Morphh

green in the brake reservoir is water it’s caused when condensation occurs it changes colour to green, it needs to be flushed out, and u will be fine, u also need a new bulb carrier for the lights that are out very cheap 50-60 bucks, for new bulb carrier hope this helps
Thanks for the info. Ivactually just troed a new bulb carrier and no dice. I checked the fuse and that is fine also.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:39 AM

C32 amg
Originally Posted by RLNY
Thanks for the info. Ivactually just troed a new bulb carrier and no dice. I checked the fuse and that is fine also.
when u put bulbs in a Benz they have to be the exact wattage go to Benz dealer and find exact bulb other wize they will not work, check the wiring of the plug for the bulb carrier is anything burnt?
Old 12-31-2017, 09:45 AM

C55 AMG

when u put bulbs in a Benz they have to be the exact wattage go to Benz dealer and find exact bulb other wize they will not work, check the wiring of the plug for the bulb carrier is anything burnt?
got the bulbs from advanced auto. My night lights run fine but only 1 brake light comes on and all reverse lights are out also alnong with left turn signal in rear. I checked the clip that goes in back of bulb carrier and it seems fine. I dont see any rust.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:53 AM

C32 amg
[QUOTE=RLNY;7346633]got the bulbs from advanced auto. My night lights run fine but only 1 brake light comes on and all reverse lights are out also alnong with left turn signal in rear. I checked the clip that goes in back of bulb carrier and it seems fine. I dont see any rust.[/QUOTE
try going to dealer and getting OEM ones.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
17 E300 New
Just bought new 17 e300, when being shown how to use the park assist car ran up on the parking stop. When pulling off bumper came loose, $2000 worth of damage (dealer is paying for) however I partially blame car for seniors not going off. So I'm in one of their loaners cars and again today parking at a Best Buy where the parking stops are like any other typical parking stop it happens again. This time got out and looked and sure enough rubber skirt is rolled backwards and stuck on a little bit of the spike that is sticking up. I had to actually have my son lift on bumper from the front so I could pull back the rubber skirt and then the car pulled off without separating bumper . This now is on two different cars so this must be a flaw in design. Did not have this problem on my C300 15 model year. I can't back in to every parking space for the next three years. Please advise if anyone can. Thanks,
Old 01-29-2018, 08:14 PM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Originally Posted by RLNY
got the bulbs from advanced auto. My night lights run fine but only 1 brake light comes on and all reverse lights are out also alnong with left turn signal in rear. I checked the clip that goes in back of bulb carrier and it seems fine. I dont see any rust.
Any update? Im curious as to whether or not you have gotten all of your issues sorted out.

Also how much did it cost you to sort all of it out? Can you give us a breakdown?
Old 11-08-2019, 11:25 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
320e
I've had some bad bulb sockets (the part the bulb plugs into) that seats in the rear plate. Replacements are available on Amazon cheap...just match up the color of the socket.