C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Missfire issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes c32amg
Missfire issue

Wounded if I could have some help please.
got a 2002 c32 amg. I called the vehicle and let off.
mil light came on. Missfire 1/2/3 driver side bank.
clear fault removed filters and rough idle but only milk light returns when I let off.

removed the rocker cover and noticed the timing chain tensioner maybe out further on its length as I can see clean section of the tensioner.

do these have issues with the chain or guides.
How can I check timing is correct.

currently done 113k
Thanks for reading my thread.
Mime
Old 02-25-2019, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
The interesting part is that it is all on the same engine.bank. I would leave the timing chain for the very end. Do check your primary cat. i don't recall every hearing of the timing chain issues. i now have over 150K miles on my engine and i used to race this car at the drag strip and no timing chain issues. 2002s are known for the cam issues but like i said, check the primary cat first.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:36 AM

mercedes c32amg
Ok. How would the cat cause a missfire. On load I had good power cleared the codes but let off and fault returned.
I seen faults with this online for cams but. To have 3 issues on a cam at the same time not to sure.

Whats the the best way to check the cat.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:10 AM

mercedes c32amg
Right I need help. Just checked the chain it’s loose. As I turn it over my hand I can see the tensioner going in and out is this normal. Chain goes tight then loose ??????
Old 02-26-2019, 06:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 472 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
clogg cat causes misfire since exhaust cannot escape and cylinder mixture is not correct so does not burn good and produces less power.

QUESTION.
See intak seals on driver side (RH in picture) should they not be flipped over?
Seems I see where they are not sealing completely which wouldcause a misfire on driver side.

My god what SQUIRREL was in your enginee bay eating nuts?
IS that shells down below?
Old 02-26-2019, 02:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2006 C55, 2004 ML350
Originally Posted by ygmn
clogg cat causes misfire since exhaust cannot escape and cylinder mixture is not correct so does not burn good and produces less power.

QUESTION.
See intak seals on driver side (RH in picture) should they not be flipped over?
Seems I see where they are not sealing completely which wouldcause a misfire on driver side.

My god what SQUIRREL was in your enginee bay eating nuts?
IS that shells down below?
My thought exactly! DUDE - get rid of the squirrel/rodent or nothing is going to matter. It will chew up your main harness and then the vehicle is toast. At that point, I hope you have full coverage.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by Michael Walford
Ok. How would the cat cause a missfire. On load I had good power cleared the codes but let off and fault returned.
I seen faults with this online for cams but. To have 3 issues on a cam at the same time not to sure.

Whats the the best way to check the cat.
Have you checked the cats yet? I had the same symptoms on my slk32.

I data-logged everything trying to sort this and noticed my boost would go up as high as 26 psi at the point of failure (normally 20 psi with a 62mm sc pulley).

I tapped the cats and noticed only a small rattle on the passenger primary. I dropped the exhaust and discovered that the passenger primary cat had broken in that the first 3rd of the catalyst element had broke away and rotated inside the can causing unacceptably high back pressure under medium to full throttle. I busted out ALL of the cat element and put it back together ... ALL is fine now.

I am assuming that the elevated back pressure raises the cylinder pressure to the point where the plugs can't fire (even with the .032" gap I was running).

hope that helps,
Chris
Old 03-12-2019, 07:48 PM

mercedes c32amg
Originally Posted by latemodel21
Have you checked the cats yet? I had the same symptoms on my slk32.

I data-logged everything trying to sort this and noticed my boost would go up as high as 26 psi at the point of failure (normally 20 psi with a 62mm sc pulley).

I tapped the cats and noticed only a small rattle on the passenger primary. I dropped the exhaust and discovered that the passenger primary cat had broken in that the first 3rd of the catalyst element had broke away and rotated inside the can causing unacceptably high back pressure under medium to full throttle. I busted out ALL of the cat element and put it back together ... ALL is fine now.

I am assuming that the elevated back pressure raises the cylinder pressure to the point where the plugs can't fire (even with the .032" gap I was running).

hope that helps,
Chris

hi Chris sorry late reply been working and been sent loads of incorrect part by my supplier.

so I took advice from you guys rebuilt the car. Been stood for a year because I thought it was the timing chain. Thermostat was ****ed but couldn’t get old if one. repaired two snap bolts that hold the water pump. These parts Dealer only in the uk.
so I removed the centre of the thermostate . The breather that goes to the throttle body was mashed so tidy that up. Started the car ran on all 6 cylinders. Just gave her the 3rd road test of the day after bleeding the system. Pulls like a train and slides easy with the two way diff. Now I haven’t touched the cats at all yet.
how are you measuring boost pressure. I got a Bosch system for error faults and actual valves
Cant see how the breather pipe or the thermostate would cause the misfire.

thanks again guys for your help and support

put a right smile on my face tonight
Old 03-14-2019, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32

how are you measuring boost pressure?
I measure boost 2 ways on my SLK32. I have a dashdaq that plugs into the obd2 port and reads the value that the ecu perceives from the MAP sensor. I also have a ZT2 (Zeitronix wideband data logger) that reads a pressure sensor that i have screwed into one of my intake plenums. (on my sl55, I measure it 2 ways as well, with an "aeroforce interceptor" gauge plugged into my obd2 port and a "techedge" wideband data logger that reads a pressure sensor that i have screwed into one of my intake plenums).

You don't need to have all that hardware, however ... were I you, I would find a scan tool that plugs into to the obd2 port (there are many solutions for under $100, some are handhelds, some have a display that you mount on your dash) OR, get an ELM 327 wireless dongle
Amazon Amazon
and plug it into your obd2 port and read it with "torque" (smart phone app).

hope that helps,
Chris

Last edited by latemodel21; 03-14-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:47 AM

mercedes c32amg
Originally Posted by latemodel21
I measure boost 2 ways on my SLK32. I have a dashdaq that plugs into the obd2 port and reads the value that the ecu perceives from the MAP sensor. I also have a ZT2 (Zeitronix wideband data logger) that reads a pressure sensor that i have screwed into one of my intake plenums. (on my sl55, I measure it 2 ways as well, with an "aeroforce interceptor" gauge plugged into my obd2 port and a "techedge" wideband data logger that reads a pressure sensor that i have screwed into one of my intake plenums).

You don't need to have all that hardware, however ... were I you, I would find a scan tool that plugs into to the obd2 port (there are many solutions for under $100, some are handhelds, some have a display that you mount on your dash) OR, get an ELM 327 wireless dongle
https://www.amazon.com/Scanner-Bluetooth-OBDATOR-
Diagnostic-Android/dp/B074DWH8JR/ref=sr_1_6?hvadid=177608799547&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=90 32151&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7457453861 130762114&hvtargid=kwd-6111946839&keywords=elm-327&qid=1552603534&s=gateway&sr=8-6&tag=googhydr-20
and plug it into your obd2 port and read it with "torque" (smart phone app).

hope that helps,
Chris

thansk for your reply Chris. I’ve got a very good scan tool which is the same as local garages use Bosch system (works computer) I’m sure I couldn’t see a actual value saying boost pressure il have another look today at the list of values.
thansk again
Old 03-15-2019, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
thansk for your reply Chris. I’ve got a very good scan tool which is the same as local garages use Bosch system (works computer) I’m sure I couldn’t see a actual value saying boost pressure il have another look today at the list of values.
thansk again
a good scan tool that has "live data" should be able to read/display "MAP" (manifold absolute pressure) ... this is often expressed in inches HG or BAR and you have to translate. you could get something like this ultragauge https://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/u...RoCVkQQAvD_BwE

but if you have an android smartphone, I would recommend the elm327 and the torque app that I mentioned previously.

cheers,
Chris
Old 03-15-2019, 04:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
C32 amg
U know cylinders 123 are passenger side right side 456 is left side driverside
they are casted right on ur valve covers

Last edited by Morphh; 03-15-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:23 PM

C32
Help

Hi guys thanks for your help sorry delay in a reply. Car been at the bodyshop for a touch up. Got it back left the car running to charge the battery. Now got a coolant warning fault

Right had to set up a new account so I can post on here. Hi everyone hope you can help.

charging the battery on my car today. Came up saying check coolant.
Gauge showing a temp of 85c
checked coolant and it was fine.
Plugged in my Bosch scanner. Connected to the air on ecu.
coolant temp 103 and rising.
no coolant fan kicking in.
Turned the air on on to see if the fan works.
And checked actual values. Triggered in at 20 percent. But shortly goes off.

so did a actuator test on the radiator fan.
Does not work while doing the test.
so I unplugged the coolant temp sensor. No fan working and bridged it still nothing.
i checked for supply. I unplugged the fan control unit. Two main feeds one with a 12 supply. Also swapped the feeds and had a earth on the other main supply.
Two smaller wires. Same one with a 12v feed.

can anyone help before I start buying fan units because seem to be hard to find. Also big bucks.

Cheers in advance

Old 10-12-2019, 10:09 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by norcalcasey
My thought exactly! DUDE - get rid of the squirrel/rodent or nothing is going to matter. It will chew up your main harness and then the vehicle is toast. At that point, I hope you have full coverage.
Oh wow. A squirrel or chipmunk resided at some point. I think rats are the worst and the others guys are much wiser and seek the warmth.

Best of luck!

Last edited by RPB; 10-12-2019 at 10:16 PM.