Notices
C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) Discuss the C32 and C55 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missfire issue

 
Old 02-25-2019, 05:33 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mercedes c32amg
Missfire issue



Wounded if I could have some help please.
got a 2002 c32 amg. I called the vehicle and let off.
mil light came on. Missfire 1/2/3 driver side bank.
clear fault removed filters and rough idle but only milk light returns when I let off.

removed the rocker cover and noticed the timing chain tensioner maybe out further on its length as I can see clean section of the tensioner.

do these have issues with the chain or guides.
How can I check timing is correct.

currently done 113k
Thanks for reading my thread.
Mime
Michael Walford is offline  
Old 02-25-2019, 08:47 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: North NJ
Posts: 2,068
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
The interesting part is that it is all on the same engine.bank. I would leave the timing chain for the very end. Do check your primary cat. i don't recall every hearing of the timing chain issues. i now have over 150K miles on my engine and i used to race this car at the drag strip and no timing chain issues. 2002s are known for the cam issues but like i said, check the primary cat first.
Lenin is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 03:36 AM
  #3  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mercedes c32amg
Ok. How would the cat cause a missfire. On load I had good power cleared the codes but let off and fault returned.
I seen faults with this online for cams but. To have 3 issues on a cam at the same time not to sure.

Whats the the best way to check the cat.
Michael Walford is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 04:10 AM
  #4  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mercedes c32amg
Right I need help. Just checked the chain itís loose. As I turn it over my hand I can see the tensioner going in and out is this normal. Chain goes tight then loose ??????
Michael Walford is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 06:49 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
ygmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 383
Thanked 40 Times in 38 Posts
2015 E400
clogg cat causes misfire since exhaust cannot escape and cylinder mixture is not correct so does not burn good and produces less power.

QUESTION.
See intak seals on driver side (RH in picture) should they not be flipped over?
Seems I see where they are not sealing completely which wouldcause a misfire on driver side.

My god what SQUIRREL was in your enginee bay eating nuts?
IS that shells down below?
ygmn is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 02:18 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 23
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
None, looking to buy
Originally Posted by ygmn View Post
clogg cat causes misfire since exhaust cannot escape and cylinder mixture is not correct so does not burn good and produces less power.

QUESTION.
See intak seals on driver side (RH in picture) should they not be flipped over?
Seems I see where they are not sealing completely which wouldcause a misfire on driver side.

My god what SQUIRREL was in your enginee bay eating nuts?
IS that shells down below?
My thought exactly! DUDE - get rid of the squirrel/rodent or nothing is going to matter. It will chew up your main harness and then the vehicle is toast. At that point, I hope you have full coverage.
norcalcasey is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 12:49 PM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Santa Clara, Ca
Posts: 855
Thanked 117 Times in 84 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by Michael Walford View Post
Ok. How would the cat cause a missfire. On load I had good power cleared the codes but let off and fault returned.
I seen faults with this online for cams but. To have 3 issues on a cam at the same time not to sure.

Whats the the best way to check the cat.
Have you checked the cats yet? I had the same symptoms on my slk32.

I data-logged everything trying to sort this and noticed my boost would go up as high as 26 psi at the point of failure (normally 20 psi with a 62mm sc pulley).

I tapped the cats and noticed only a small rattle on the passenger primary. I dropped the exhaust and discovered that the passenger primary cat had broken in that the first 3rd of the catalyst element had broke away and rotated inside the can causing unacceptably high back pressure under medium to full throttle. I busted out ALL of the cat element and put it back together ... ALL is fine now.

I am assuming that the elevated back pressure raises the cylinder pressure to the point where the plugs can't fire (even with the .032" gap I was running).

hope that helps,
Chris
latemodel21 is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 07:48 PM
  #8  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mercedes c32amg
Originally Posted by latemodel21 View Post
Have you checked the cats yet? I had the same symptoms on my slk32.

I data-logged everything trying to sort this and noticed my boost would go up as high as 26 psi at the point of failure (normally 20 psi with a 62mm sc pulley).

I tapped the cats and noticed only a small rattle on the passenger primary. I dropped the exhaust and discovered that the passenger primary cat had broken in that the first 3rd of the catalyst element had broke away and rotated inside the can causing unacceptably high back pressure under medium to full throttle. I busted out ALL of the cat element and put it back together ... ALL is fine now.

I am assuming that the elevated back pressure raises the cylinder pressure to the point where the plugs can't fire (even with the .032" gap I was running).

hope that helps,
Chris


hi Chris sorry late reply been working and been sent loads of incorrect part by my supplier.

so I took advice from you guys rebuilt the car. Been stood for a year because I thought it was the timing chain. Thermostat was ****ed but couldnít get old if one. repaired two snap bolts that hold the water pump. These parts Dealer only in the uk.
so I removed the centre of the thermostate . The breather that goes to the throttle body was mashed so tidy that up. Started the car ran on all 6 cylinders. Just gave her the 3rd road test of the day after bleeding the system. Pulls like a train and slides easy with the two way diff. Now I havenít touched the cats at all yet.
how are you measuring boost pressure. I got a Bosch system for error faults and actual valves
Cant see how the breather pipe or the thermostate would cause the misfire.

thanks again guys for your help and support

put a right smile on my face tonight
Michael Walford is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 06:46 PM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Santa Clara, Ca
Posts: 855
Thanked 117 Times in 84 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by Michael Walford View Post


how are you measuring boost pressure?
I measure boost 2 ways on my SLK32. I have a dashdaq that plugs into the obd2 port and reads the value that the ecu perceives from the MAP sensor. I also have a ZT2 (Zeitronix wideband data logger) that reads a pressure sensor that i have screwed into one of my intake plenums. (on my sl55, I measure it 2 ways as well, with an "aeroforce interceptor" gauge plugged into my obd2 port and a "techedge" wideband data logger that reads a pressure sensor that i have screwed into one of my intake plenums).

You don't need to have all that hardware, however ... were I you, I would find a scan tool that plugs into to the obd2 port (there are many solutions for under $100, some are handhelds, some have a display that you mount on your dash) OR, get an ELM 327 wireless dongle
Amazon Amazon
and plug it into your obd2 port and read it with "torque" (smart phone app).

hope that helps,
Chris

Last edited by latemodel21; 03-14-2019 at 06:48 PM.
latemodel21 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 07:47 AM
  #10  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mercedes c32amg
Originally Posted by latemodel21 View Post
I measure boost 2 ways on my SLK32. I have a dashdaq that plugs into the obd2 port and reads the value that the ecu perceives from the MAP sensor. I also have a ZT2 (Zeitronix wideband data logger) that reads a pressure sensor that i have screwed into one of my intake plenums. (on my sl55, I measure it 2 ways as well, with an "aeroforce interceptor" gauge plugged into my obd2 port and a "techedge" wideband data logger that reads a pressure sensor that i have screwed into one of my intake plenums).



You don't need to have all that hardware, however ... were I you, I would find a scan tool that plugs into to the obd2 port (there are many solutions for under $100, some are handhelds, some have a display that you mount on your dash) OR, get an ELM 327 wireless dongle
https://www.amazon.com/Scanner-Bluetooth-OBDATOR-
Diagnostic-Android/dp/B074DWH8JR/ref=sr_1_6?hvadid=177608799547&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=90 32151&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7457453861 130762114&hvtargid=kwd-6111946839&keywords=elm-327&qid=1552603534&s=gateway&sr=8-6&tag=googhydr-20
and plug it into your obd2 port and read it with "torque" (smart phone app).

hope that helps,
Chris

thansk for your reply Chris. Iíve got a very good scan tool which is the same as local garages use Bosch system (works computer) Iím sure I couldnít see a actual value saying boost pressure il have another look today at the list of values.
thansk again
Michael Walford is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 12:03 PM
  #11  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Santa Clara, Ca
Posts: 855
Thanked 117 Times in 84 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by Michael Walford View Post
thansk for your reply Chris. Iíve got a very good scan tool which is the same as local garages use Bosch system (works computer) Iím sure I couldnít see a actual value saying boost pressure il have another look today at the list of values.
thansk again
a good scan tool that has "live data" should be able to read/display "MAP" (manifold absolute pressure) ... this is often expressed in inches HG or BAR and you have to translate. you could get something like this ultragauge https://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/u...RoCVkQQAvD_BwE

but if you have an android smartphone, I would recommend the elm327 and the torque app that I mentioned previously.

cheers,
Chris
latemodel21 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 04:46 PM
  #12  
Super Member
 
Morphh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 600
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
C32 amg
U know cylinders 123 are passenger side right side 456 is left side driverside
they are casted right on ur valve covers

Last edited by Morphh; 03-15-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Morphh is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Missfire issue


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: