C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Couple of Q's on the C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of Q's on the C55

My wife has an E500 that I really enjoy but don't drive all that much. The few things I really like are the HK audio system, drive dynamic seats, air suspension and the 7G. I was thinking about getting a C55 so I could enjoy a V8 sedan everyday like she does, BUT.

Now that I am finding out about it, it does not have the upgraded 7 speed transmission, drive dynamic seats, or the air suspension like the comparably priced E500. Does it even have a better audio system than the standard C-class cars?

I don't want to compare the E to the C, but in terms of content the C55 seems to be the ******* stepchild of the line. Whats up with that?

THe C55 is marketed more as a luxo rocket than a full on sports car like the M3, so where is the luxo????
Old 07-19-2004, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by 04E500
My wife has an E500 that I really enjoy but don't drive all that much. The few things I really like are the HK audio system, drive dynamic seats, air suspension and the 7G. I was thinking about getting a C55 so I could enjoy a V8 sedan everyday like she does, BUT.

Now that I am finding out about it, it does not have the upgraded 7 speed transmission, drive dynamic seats, or the air suspension like the comparably priced E500. Does it even have a better audio system than the standard C-class cars?

I don't want to compare the E to the C, but in terms of content the C55 seems to be the ******* stepchild of the line. Whats up with that?

THe C55 is marketed more as a luxo rocket than a full on sports car like the M3, so where is the luxo????

Yea you are right, it does not have the 7-gtronic nor the airmatic suspension. It does have available HK audio, DVD comand, it has NAPPA leather seats with alcantara trim (your e500 doesnt have that) and amg tuned suspension, brakes, sport seats, engine, etc. None of the AMG cars have the 7 speed transmission yet, not even the CLK55 (which has the same motor as the C55). I think the C55 is a great car, the front end has been extended compared to the regular C-class and it has much more of a curb presence imo than the C32. I say get it and don't sweat the airmatic and 7gtronic.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:20 PM

Thanks Al,that is helpful. I am hoping to put my eyes on one and better yet hear it and if at all possible drive one around the block. I put a lot of miles on my cars and find that the little stuff in the E-class really makes it livable.

I bought an S2000 a few months ago and although its an extremely entertaining car to drive, and its a convertible, its hard to live with. I guess I'm not 20 something anymore.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
The HK audio in my C55 sounds awesome! I really love it.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:26 PM

2003 E55 Techtite over Blue Leather.
Dearth of C55 Goodies

I tend to agree with the complaints. Why on Earth can A CLK in any trim be available with active ventilated seats, Keyless Go , parktronic and a costlier C55 not? it really boggles my mind. The only reason I drive a benze over a BMW is the luxury and ammenities! It really rattles my cage to know that the only way to get some of these features is to order the OEM parts from Europe and have these systems installed after the fact at a much higher cost and with no factory warranty coverage. Tell me another thing... why can they put a pano roof on a c coupe and not a $65000 C55???
Jeeze Louise
Old 07-20-2004, 12:11 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by E55Soon
I tend to agree with the complaints. Why on Earth can A CLK in any trim be available with active ventilated seats, Keyless Go , parktronic and a costlier C55 not? it really boggles my mind. The only reason I drive a benze over a BMW is the luxury and ammenities! It really rattles my cage to know that the only way to get some of these features is to order the OEM parts from Europe and have these systems installed after the fact at a much higher cost and with no factory warranty coverage. Tell me another thing... why can they put a pano roof on a c coupe and not a $65000 C55???
Jeeze Louise

If they had all those options available on the C55 it would be in the E55 price range. Why have 2 cars from the same manufacturer compete with each other? The E-class will have more of luxury reputation then a C class no matter what. Personally. Any more luxury features on my C55 will just kill the sportiness of it. But that's just my opinion. If the C class can be had with the pano, stupid ventilated seats and keyless go I would not want any of them anyway. Its all personal preference. But to have a C55 cost as much as an E55 is just stupid.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its the same reasoning behind why you will not see the E55 motor in the C55: It would take away sales from the E55. Same for the M3. You will not see the M5's V8 in the M3 until such time as the M5 comes with a bigger/bader motor like the V10 on the way. Once the E55 goes to 6.3ltr, we may see a bigger motor than the 5.5 V8 in the C55.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:22 AM
Almost a Member!

2004 S55 AMG
C55 Seats

I understand the seats in the new C55 will be AMG, but will they be Active Dynamic Seats with the side boulsters that blow up in turns to give greater support for the driver? My mom has the S55 and that option is, imo as of now, the best option in the entire car.
Thanks .
Old 07-20-2004, 02:10 AM

I'm driving a C240 loaner right now why the E-class has the tires rotated and a switch replaced, that takes two days ya know. So thats kind of what got me on the C55 kick. I am amazed at how good the little C240 is! Its a 4matic but it just feels really well planted and I have been pushing it into ESP mode and it really handles the pressure well. I can only imagine how much better the C55 is. I do use the ventilated seats in the E-class pretty much everytime I get in it, but I live in AZ and its nearly 1600F during the daylight hours so it really is useful. I just sat in an 05' C with HK and it sounds good, not as good as the E, but certainly a far cry from the lackluster Bose systems of the past. I could definetly live with that. I also liked the seats better, particularly the headrest which is the same as the E. So I'm going to continue to look at it. Again looking forward to seeing, hearing and hopefully joyriding one.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
The HK audio in my C55 sounds awesome! I really love it.
Hey how about a wave file of that kick *** V8?????
Old 07-20-2004, 04:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AlBoston
Yea you are right, it does not have the 7-gtronic nor the airmatic suspension. It does have available HK audio, DVD comand, it has NAPPA leather seats with alcantara trim (your e500 doesnt have that) and amg tuned suspension, brakes, sport seats, engine, etc. None of the AMG cars have the 7 speed transmission yet, not even the CLK55 (which has the same motor as the C55). I think the C55 is a great car, the front end has been extended compared to the regular C-class and it has much more of a curb presence imo than the C32. I say get it and don't sweat the airmatic and 7gtronic.
The new SLK55 will have the new 7G which makes me wonder if the 2006 build of the C55 will have the 7G or if it will just end production all together. I heard that only 100 C55s will make it here to the US for the remainder of the year. That roughly equates to about .3 C55s per dealership. Better get one now! =)
Old 07-22-2004, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by e-fivehundred
The new SLK55 will have the new 7G which makes me wonder if the 2006 build of the C55 will have the 7G or if it will just end production all together. I heard that only 100 C55s will make it here to the US for the remainder of the year. That roughly equates to about .3 C55s per dealership. Better get one now! =)

I read in Mercedes Enthusiast magazine that the C class platform is not compatible with the 7 G-tronic. Im going to try and scan it, so i can post it.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:25 AM

All of the above
Interesting observations from 04E500 regarding 7 speed trans, airmatic suspension etc.

One of the people I recently talked to about the C55 we have was enthusiastic that the car Did Not have the complexities of airmartic suspension, sensotronic brakes or supercharged engine. He sees the relative simplicity as a plus. It is not exactly a "bare-bones" hot rod but is in keeping with MBs new edict to SIMPLIFY. MB has admitted that the cars are over engineered lately and is taking steps to reign in the engineers.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:43 AM

2006 Corvette Coupe
If the target market is driving enthusiasts, then I think not having airmatic and not having sensotronic are big pluses.

How do you upgrade the suspension on the car with airmatic?

How do you upgrade the brakes on a car with sensotronic? Sensotronic is particularly bad. As some of you may recall, last year MB left the e-learning site for the W211 open to the public. The sensotronic information indicated that you pretty much need to have the MB diagnostic computer to do any sort of work around the brakes. For example, just to change the brake pads, you're suppose to use the MB computer to deactivate and depressurize the sensotronic unit. So if you want to bleed brakes, change brake fluid, change brake pads, all that requires access to the MB computer if you have sensotronic. Not at all good if you track.

The lack of the 7 speed transmission is entirely a different matter. As a practical matter the C55 probably doesn't need it as AMG engines have pretty good torque, but if the 7 speed were available it would probably make the car better. In fact, isn't the SLK-55 using the 7 speed?

Last edited by cschow; 07-23-2004 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:24 AM

I definetly did not mention the sensotronic brakes and have heard they will be shelved in short order, probably by the 06' model year. I do not like them, its the one thing about the E-class I am dissatisfied with. Overall though the car is fabulous. The airmatic is fantastic and even Porshce is now using a similar system on the new 997. Its a best of both worlds technology and its used on the E55. I d enjoy and use both the drive dynamic seats and the ventilated seats as I mentioned and would have liked to see them available, at this point I don't think you can even get multi-contour seats?

After reflecting on this for the past few days, I do agree the philosophy to reign in some of the technology in hopes of delivering simpler and more reliable cars is a wise decision. I have not had any major mechanical issues with any of my last three MB's, it has always been switches/switchgear, sensors and ECU's etc.... No faulty trannies or engine probs.