C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Quaife ATB Limited Slip Diff

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do we contact KLEEMANN to get additional information regarding the technical aspects of this LSD? Who has bought one of these that can comment on improvement in time at the track?
Old 08-08-2004, 11:26 PM

Why does this topic continue to get brought up and then die. Has anyone bought the Kleemann LSD yet? Has anyone gotten any farther with the Quaife deal?

I will coordinate the purchase with Quaife. I only need a count of serious people who are interested in going through with the order based on a 100% prepaid deposit directly to Quaife with a full warranty and receipt for sales of goods also from Quaife direct in case there are any warranty issues. Can have the units here by November. Any quantity OK, but the less units made, the higher the price.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Nissan 350Z
I'm interested, but what's the max price on these units?
Old 08-09-2004, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
The biggest problem in getting 30 people to line up is getting someone to commit.

It's like chicken and egg joke. What came first, Diffs or people who want to buy them.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:13 AM
lap

2002 c32
Originally Posted by vadim@evosport
The biggest problem in getting 30 people to line up is getting someone to commit.

It's like chicken and egg joke. What came first, Diffs or people who want to buy them.

Build it and they will come.....
Old 08-15-2004, 01:30 PM

Within this thread, let's create a list of people serious in purchasing the Quaife unit regardless of cost. Quaife will make any number of units with no minimum. The less ordered, the more expensive each unit will be. Preliminary estimates put the LSD at an approximate production cost of: One=5,000. Five=3,000. Ten=2,500. Fifteen=2,000. Twenty=1,500. Thirty=1,200. Fifty=900. Loaner parts will also be needed to supply to Quaife for proper fitment. Lead time is 90+ days. This is not a group buy, but a purchase directly with Quaife. In order to ensure quantity production and original cost quotation, 100% deposits must be made directly to Quaife to be held in a bank trust account set up for this deal.

Committed Parties:

1. smgC32
2. ?

Copy this numbering schedule to the following thread entry if you are interested.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:31 PM

steve,

I would commit but I think that 2000$ would be my limit. Unless it is the last thing that needs to be done on my car to make it faster I wouldn't want to spend more that.

Do you think more camber would help more than an LSD on the track? I have yet to try turning ESP completely off but lots of older cars have had open diffs and can still be fast.

Prasith
Old 08-15-2004, 11:42 PM

I think they are both equally important on the track especially on this car. For street driving and light track duty, both are not necessary, but would be a welcomed addition.

Proper front camber in the C32 could yield a few second advantage at the track in addition to much greater tire life. The LSD will also provide significantly lower times in the same venue. Tuning comes with a price. Development costs for the camber plate prototype will cost more than a single LSD! Anyone interested in sharing that expense?!
Old 08-15-2004, 11:53 PM

is evosport looking into camber plates?

i would have thought that camber plates would have been less expensive but if not then I guess either LSD or camber plates would be a viable tuning choice for faster lap times. Like you said the camber does decrease tire wear so it would provide increased cost benefits over the life of tracking the car.

I would be interested in both with camber plates being my first choice but if i can get both at a relatively good price now that would be

I wonder if the AMG could be raced in the SCCA

What class would be be in? Just some food for thought.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
We are working on a camber solution. This will be a new lower arm set for the front. However, this is not a quick process.

I would rather have camber then the diff. But the diff is a close second.

We are looking at racing a C55 is SPEED world challenge. :v

Thanks

Brad
Old 08-16-2004, 12:38 PM

Where are the price quotes?
All this mumbo jumbo talk has me spinning in circles. Lets just get the damn thing and test it.

Where do I sign up?
Old 08-16-2004, 05:18 PM

Brad,

That would give be ridiculously awesome to see a C55 against the BMW's in SPEED World Challenge. What class would it be in?

Do the rules disallow forced induction? I guess that means the C32 couldn't be used then huh? I think a C55 in race tune could be very competitive I am sure you could bring it down to 3000lb and probably 500hp or more if you wait for the DI motor. Oh yeah and something the other competitors wont' have gobs and gobs of torque :v :v

Anyways I digress, I would be very interested in a camber solution especially since my car seems to have less than normal. Please let me know of any updates.

Since my car has depreciated so much that selling it would lose ridiculous amounts of money I have decided to pour that money into making this car better.

Suspension mods galore.

Prasith
Old 08-16-2004, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Brad,

Is there any reason why Evosport has not installed the Kleemann LSD? It looks like it is going to be our only short term solution for an LSD. I think if you guys would install it and comment on it here there might be some buyers.

Zep.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Originally Posted by Prasith32
Brad,

That would give be ridiculously awesome to see a C55 against the BMW's in SPEED World Challenge. What class would it be in?

Do the rules disallow forced induction? I guess that means the C32 couldn't be used then huh? I think a C55 in race tune could be very competitive I am sure you could bring it down to 3000lb and probably 500hp or more if you wait for the DI motor. Oh yeah and something the other competitors wont' have gobs and gobs of torque :v :v

Anyways I digress, I would be very interested in a camber solution especially since my car seems to have less than normal. Please let me know of any updates.

Since my car has depreciated so much that selling it would lose ridiculous amounts of money I have decided to pour that money into making this car better.

Suspension mods galore.

Prasith
Speed C55 would be GT. They are going to allow FI in Speed Touring, but only with small motors (ie: c-coupe)

We are working with the camber, hopefully someone else is as well and we will have some great solutions.

Originally Posted by Zeppelin
Brad,

Is there any reason why Evosport has not installed the Kleemann LSD? It looks like it is going to be our only short term solution for an LSD. I think if you guys would install it and comment on it here there might be some buyers.

Zep.
We simply have not had a customer buy one.

Thanks.

Brad
Old 08-17-2004, 06:27 PM

SLK32
Is the Kleeman LSD clutch type? Is so what is the locking %?
Old 08-17-2004, 10:29 PM

As a rolling test bed, I think Evosport should buy one and install it on their own car. Then transfer it to their new leased C55 or sell it to me at .50 on the dollar!
Old 08-18-2004, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
Originally Posted by 430
Is the Kleeman LSD clutch type? Is so what is the locking %?
Response from Kleemann:

The KLEEMANN LSD upgrade uses what we call a "spring-plate" locking
mechanism. This is simply two pieces of machined, hardened steel with 4
springs located at the 4 corners of the "sandwiched" locking mechanism. The
springs apply pressure to the locking plate, which in turn locks the two
pinion gears together. Our LSD is classified as a 60% torque bias. This
upgrade is more than capable of handling the torque your C32 is making. We
have installed this upgrade on vehicles producing close to 600 lb/ft. of
torque with no problems.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:46 PM

SLK32
Smile

Originally Posted by Zeppelin
Response from Kleemann:

The KLEEMANN LSD upgrade uses what we call a "spring-plate" locking
mechanism. This is simply two pieces of machined, hardened steel with 4
springs located at the 4 corners of the "sandwiched" locking mechanism. The
springs apply pressure to the locking plate, which in turn locks the two
pinion gears together. Our LSD is classified as a 60% torque bias. This
upgrade is more than capable of handling the torque your C32 is making. We
have installed this upgrade on vehicles producing close to 600 lb/ft. of
torque with no problems.
Ok, so Kleeman is selling a $250 Phantom Grip for 10 times that price and relying on the stock spider gears to hold (usually a weak point in a diff).

If Quaife does not come through maybe someone will make an LSD for the Crossfire. I can see all the MB guys lining up for Mopar parts now
Old 08-18-2004, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
Originally Posted by 430
Ok, so Kleeman is selling a $250 Phantom Grip for 10 times that price and relying on the stock spider gears to hold (usually a weak point in a diff).

If Quaife does not come through maybe someone will make an LSD for the Crossfire. I can see all the MB guys lining up for Mopar parts now
Maybe we can get Phanton Grip to make one for us for like $275 since it is a Mercedes If it will hold 600lb/ft of torque it should be good enough.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:14 PM

The kit contains a set of lock plates, complete and modified planetary gear,
gasket rings and GL5 oil, $250 in parts hardly.

Before you call a MB planetary gear weak, you might want to look inside one, they are truck size and I buy beer to the one who can brake the KLEEMANN LSD.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:48 PM

SLK32
Originally Posted by Lucas

The kit contains a set of lock plates, complete and modified planetary gear,
gasket rings and GL5 oil, $250 in parts hardly.

Before you call a MB planetary gear weak, you might want to look inside one, they are truck size and I buy beer to the one who can brake the KLEEMANN LSD.
Lucas, I said that plentary gears are usually the weak link not always. I would agree that if a new/modified planetary gear is included that boosts the cost to more than $250.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:30 PM

So, it looks like I am the only one ready to commit 100% to the purchase of the Quaife LSD. That's too bad. I guess I will have to make one for myself. And don't get any ideas...after the development work is done for this one-off, any future buyer will still have to pay the same unit pricing as Quaife will not stock this item as it is a rarity and not profitable to warehouse items such as these for a very limited market. With all this interest, I also don't understand why no one has not yet bought the Kleemman unit. I think it is inferior to the Quaife in design.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:39 PM

2003 Nissan 350Z
I'm interested in a LSD, but for $5k + downtime + install? I cant justify the cost.

I wish you the best of luck with the Quaife unit.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:23 AM

steve,

if we can get 5 people I am interested. It is quite a steep price change from 1 to 5.

3k is really a stretch but doable especially if it proves to be better than the kleeman one. Doesn't carlsson also provide one? I do like their products so far and I would definitely buy one of those if it is available. But price is always an issue with their products

Can evosport collaborate on this and provide input or at least be a customer? That would be a custom LSD for you guys that you can use down the road for racing. All that is provided you don't already have something like this going on.

Also how will this be better than the Kleeman LSD? In what way? What kind of research will we have to make this LSD with? Can we do some kind of test and tune on the track with Quaife to see what works best for our car?

How about the downtime? Can you tell me what would need to be done to my car? Also I am in CT/Boston. There is nobody that can do MB work here. All those are factors in my decision as well.

PM or email me when you get a chance.

Prasith
Old 08-19-2004, 11:03 AM

It is obvious that Evosport doesn't want to buy one for their car, and realizes that they could only sell a few at best. In addition, they are in business to make money and not do free deals, and I don't blame them for this. The pricing I have stated is cost to us. I am sure any retailer who would undertake the coordination to put this deal together would want to make a retailer's spread on the markup. I don't think Evosport would order 30 at a cost of $1,200.00 and sell them at that. A good business plan would indicate a minimum of $2,000.00 each. The mark up is just too high for the limited quantities we are talking about. If Evosport would like to be one of the end users that orders a Quaife with us, that is fine, and they pay cost for the unit just like anyone else. We may be able to get the pricing closer to $2,500.00 for half a dozen.

Prasith, so if the price is between 2,500 - 3,000 you are in and will fund a 100% deposit with the order? That would make two of us as of this point in time, which is not enough for a good price, but sure beats me spending $5,000.00! I will pm you regarding your other questions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Quaife ATB Limited Slip Diff