C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Sound system malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55
Sound system malfunction

Yesterday I turned the key to start my C55 and the speakers blasted out static at max volume. The sound system was not turned on at the time. This has now happened several times. It occurrs whether the engine is running or not, and regardless of whether the sound system is turned on. Obviously a major wiring fault. I have the nav system (no DVD though!) Has this happened to anyone else? The fix/problem? The car can not be driven like this!!
Old 10-24-2004, 03:13 PM

I had it happen on our E500 with HK and NAV, but it was intermittent. No probs on the C55.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:22 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 C55 AMG, 2002 X5 4.4i
Mine is a little bit different. Intermittenly, my audio is dead. I turned engine off and on, still same. Turned audio power off and on, still same. But, when I take a close look at screen, "SOUND" and "6Disk logo" on the screen were gone. Luckily, it happened on dealer's parking lot. Service advisor verified. Waiting for appointment. I will post for the fix. One more thing, after a while audio comes back. weird.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:59 PM

BMW E60 M5 / C55 AMG
My rear left subwoffer came with a resonating defect, at certain frequencies sepcifically low bass it makes a wierd sound like metal vibrating. It sounds really bad, I think the driver side woofer does the same thing. Kinda disapointing, but I have appt. Wensday to change oil and take a look at this problem. Could be that the woofers are just not properly installed.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:46 PM

05' MB C-dblenckel
that's happened to me once, and I've had it for 2 months now....hopefully it doesn't happen again, because that sound is deafening!!!! and could blow an ear drum!!!
Old 10-25-2004, 11:32 AM

2005 C55
Thanks for all of the input. I'll be going to the dealer today and will post what I find out. The back speakers have blown because of this.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:21 PM

2005 C55
As a followup-

I picked up the car today. I was told it was a software problem, that MB was aware of the problem, and they downloaded new software. I can't say that its fixed yet. The rear speakers are now working with the new download however.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:49 PM

C55 AMG
I noticed that if I mute the sound and then switch off the system and ON again it produces the same effect in some cases.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:06 PM

2005 C55
Originally Posted by ©32
I noticed that if I mute the sound and then switch off the system and ON again it produces the same effect in some cases.
I would think that the dealer would routinely check the software whenever the car was brought in for routine maintenance. Wait, of course they wouldn't!!! If this has happened on yours once, it will happen again. I'd let 'em know.

I did have a new E500 as a loaner, the car I would have bought had I not driven the C55. Nice car, but I made the right choice!

I had Grand Nationals for many years...these C55's accelerate with the same "feel".
Old 10-27-2004, 05:26 PM

BMW E60 M5 / C55 AMG
I got my car from the dealership today, and was told the reason for my wierd sound on the rear speaker was a damaged amplifier. They ordered me a new one at no cost. On a side note the manager of the service department told me the amg models come already broken in that there is no need to "nanny" the car from the first time you drive it out of the dealer...
Old 10-27-2004, 06:05 PM

C55 AMG
AMG cars... like any other car, require the short break-in no matter what people say.

For me, I like to feel safe that I did whats required to maintain a healthy engine. I think the first 5000km of smooth driving dictates the engine's lifetime. I drove cars of people who drive hard from day one... and let me say they just don't feel OK in my opinion.

I have a friend, very spiritual guy, who says that cars have a "spirit". The engine, body and wheels etc...together they make up a living mechanical being!?!? They listen to you and like to be pampered from time to time. He advised a little a fender pat or caress and some nice words of affection help!!! Weird guy...
Old 10-27-2004, 06:51 PM

05' MB C-dblenckel
Originally Posted by lojab
As a followup-

I picked up the car today. I was told it was a software problem, that MB was aware of the problem, and they downloaded new software. I can't say that its fixed yet. The rear speakers are now working with the new download however.
lojab,

do you reccommend that I go get the updated software downloaded to prevent my audio system from acting up again?? will they know what I'm talking about? the static sound only happen ONCE in the almost 3mths that I've had my car, do you think I should still take it in? or wait til' it happens again? that's if it ever does.,,thx for the help.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:57 PM

2005 C55
Originally Posted by DbleNckel
lojab,

do you reccommend that I go get the updated software downloaded to prevent my audio system from acting up again?? will they know what I'm talking about? the static sound only happen ONCE in the almost 3mths that I've had my car, do you think I should still take it in? or wait til' it happens again? that's if it ever does.,,thx for the help.
I only "know" what I was told about the fix. The static demon did strike the day I bought the car, and the salesman was in it at the time. Neither one of us understood what happened..we both thought that the volume had inadvertently been turned up to the max. So, I did have a witness to corroborate the problem when it happened again. I would suggest that you discuss it next time you take your car in for service since it did happen to you. Of course, if it occurs in the meantime, I'd take it in right away. Did yours actually blast at full volume? I'm not talking CD or radio, just static. I can't say if they will know what you or I am talking about...you know how dealers are.

Example:Back in '86 I bought a new GN and drove it home in the rain. When I had a chance to actually exercise the engine it was way down on power..the dealer couldn't figure out what was wrong, and challenged me on there being anything wrong. A new turbo and several weeks later they realized the GD intercooler hose was loose, all of the boost was blowing out....a few turns of the screws on the hose clamp and the car flew. SO, it depends on the dealer.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:08 PM

05' MB C-dblenckel
Originally Posted by lojab
I only "know" what I was told about the fix. The static demon did strike the day I bought the car, and the salesman was in it at the time. Neither one of us understood what happened..we both thought that the volume had inadvertently been turned up to the max. So, I did have a witness to corroborate the problem when it happened again. I would suggest that you discuss it next time you take your car in for service since it did happen to you. Of course, if it occurs in the meantime, I'd take it in right away. Did yours actually blast at full volume? I'm not talking CD or radio, just static. I can't say if they will know what you or I am talking about...you know how dealers are.

Example:Back in '86 I bought a new GN and drove it home in the rain. When I had a chance to actually exercise the engine it was way down on power..the dealer couldn't figure out what was wrong, and challenged me on there being anything wrong. A new turbo and several weeks later they realized the GD intercooler hose was loose, all of the boost was blowing out....a few turns of the screws on the hose clamp and the car flew. SO, it depends on the dealer.
cool thx! I think I'll wait and see if it happens again first...I'll mention it casually next time I'm due for service to see if they say that other owners have brought up the issue or not....yeah, it was ALL STATIC!!!!
Old 10-28-2004, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
These two posts have related information.

MY05 COMMAND HK/Premium Sound Problem

Blown speaker, maybe more?