Limited Slip Differential for C32/C55 by AMG Manufaktur

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Harris
I am not ignoring your question.....I am waiting for a reply from Germany. In fact, I will be going there next week and ask your question in person for you. Dont give up yet! I will send you a reply via e-mail in a week or so.
Thanks. Much appreciated (not trying to diss ya), but I saw the reply on the AMG Boards about this same question (as answered by Ronald).

Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-24-2004, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chappy
Thanks. Much appreciated (not trying to diss ya), but I saw the reply on the AMG Boards about this same question (as answered by Ronald).

Happy Thanksgiving

I dont have time to check out other boards lately. If Ronald says so, you should listen to him, his source is even more accurate than mine.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Donnie at www.mbautowerks.com has LSD's for our AMG's.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
is it AMG LSDs and is their a contact # for donnie
Old 01-02-2005, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 White C55
Does anyone know how this LSD compares to the one that Kleeman makes besides the 30% and 40% locking?
Old 01-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I have two of these AMG diffs sitting on a work bench in the shop. All I can say is its a nicely made piece, but the lock up % is absurdly small and the ramp angle or "bite" is a joke. For a N/A car its probably fine but if you have a majorly tuned V8 with SC or 600TT I doubt you would notice the traction difference.

We are developing a modification to increase the preload on the clutches as well as changing the ramp angle in the split cups for more agressive engagement and higher clamp pressure when wheels do slip.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
I had that same thought ... the AMG diff is useless. Why spend all that money for the part when it has little or no realy performance difference. The car's really need a 100% locking diff or at least something along the lines of what Kleemann offers. Any diff other than the one that came in the car voids the warranty so why not go for a part that will greatly increase traction and allow the car to really power out of corners. One wheel drifts are no fun, hard to control and allow for no power to be out down. Sorry AMG...

I though there was only 1 way to get these diff's from AMG? Guess there are two after all!
Old 01-05-2005, 12:33 PM

C32 AMG, CLK 320
I agree, the car needs one like the Porsche 911 RS America 90% locking ZF.

Last edited by Jon Winter; 01-05-2005 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or like I have been saying for over a year now, we need to get a group buy going on the Quaife 0-100% variable locking differential!
Old 01-05-2005, 12:56 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
I had that same thought ... the AMG diff is useless. Why spend all that money for the part when it has little or no realy performance difference. The car's really need a 100% locking diff or at least something along the lines of what Kleemann offers. Any diff other than the one that came in the car voids the warranty so why not go for a part that will greatly increase traction and allow the car to really power out of corners. One wheel drifts are no fun, hard to control and allow for no power to be out down. Sorry AMG...

I though there was only 1 way to get these diff's from AMG? Guess there are two after all!

Doesn't Brandon G work for Kleemann? I doubt he would sell AMG diff's to anyone. So Harris is still the only contact for AMG diff's...........
Old 01-05-2005, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by rcalcaide
Doesn't Brandon G work for Kleemann? I doubt he would sell AMG diff's to anyone. So Harris is still the only contact for AMG diff's...........
You are correct...he would not sell you an AMG diff...
then again he wont sell it because it is a useless item. Im not one to throw 5k down for a diff that locks so little its almost useless.

SMG has been working on a 0-100 variable locking diff but no one wants to commit to ordering one. You cant get a run made without people who have committed to buy the unit.

At this point the Kleemann diff looks to be a deal unless we can get 20 people together for a "group buy"

I don't care how parts get here... if I wanted an AMG diff it would be in my suitcase as I checked in for my flight home...or id stick it on a friends container ship to the states...its not so difficult to get a part...its just metal.

But why void your warranty for something that is only 10% better than what you have? Its like holding back the ocean with your big finger in a hole…might slow the flow but not going to get the job done.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Before all us drown in metaphores, let me just pitch in and reveal that we are working on another, (i.e. non-Quaife or PG) solution to LSD.

It is a Salisbury style differential, that when built, can have static lock range from 30% to 80%. It is the same unit we have used on E39 M5s and E46 M3s with great success.
Attached Thumbnails Limited Slip Differential for C32/C55 by AMG Manufaktur-mb-lsd.jpg  
Old 01-05-2005, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
Let us know price and delivery dates on this new LSD as soon as you can Vadim. My next mod will be an LSD and at this point it will be the Kleemann unit for lack of any other choices.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:22 PM
rrf

Thanks Vadim

I agree with Chris: LSD + AMG Nurburgring Suspension= DROOOOOOOOOOL

THANK YOU Vadim for the pic! Finally something to stare at.

BrandonG please post up some pics of the AMG and Kleemann LSD side by side so we can see what you are talking about.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by Vadim @ evosport
Before all us drown in metaphores, let me just pitch in and reveal that we are working on another, (i.e. non-Quaife or PG) solution to LSD.

It is a Salisbury style differential, that when built, can have static lock range from 30% to 80%. It is the same unit we have used on E39 M5s and E46 M3s with great success.
I would also like to know differences in installation between the competing brands; what needs to be modified to make it work (whether s/w and/or h/w), how difficult the install, cost, etc.

Rgds,
Norm
Old 01-06-2005, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
The installation will be very straight forward, mainly swapping out pumpkins. We will need your differential back as a core.

I will post more details as they become available.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by Vadim @ evosport
The installation will be very straight forward, mainly swapping out pumpkins. We will need your differential back as a core.

I will post more details as they become available.
If I got an LSD, I would like to avoid having to do mods like mentioned in this post for the Kleemann unit.
Rgds,
Norm
Old 01-07-2005, 10:39 AM

C32
I cannot wait for more info Vadim!
Old 01-08-2005, 10:33 AM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
FYI for all---

I should have my OEM AMG LSD system by the end of the February(from Harris) for my 04 E55 beast, and I will let you all know first hand if it is was a waste of money.

Something tells me that AMG would not engineer something that has very little improvement from stock, but time will tell. I am sure when designing they picked a middle ground for performance and reliability. AMG needs to make sure a part lasts for as long as you own your car since they are part of MB.

Second, the reason I went with AMG was the warranty issue. Just to make sure all the info presented here is correct. My LSD system is being sent straight to my dealer and being installed my the head MB tech. My MB service manager(from his mouth) told me that since it is a AMG part he has no concerns about warranty issues. As I posted on other threads, it comes down to the relationship you have with your dealership and more importantly your Service Manager (take car of them and they take care of you). He has also done my Sirius radio install without drilling holes in my car and other dealers would not even touch it.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by 04E55 AMG
... I will let you all know first hand if it is was a waste of money.
I'd be very interested in your before/after comparison, assuming you can detect any difference. Maybe in Winter driving it would be easier (unless you do 1/4 mi races and find it easier to put the power down w/o wheel spin).

... the reason I went with AMG was the warranty issue. ... it comes down to the relationship you have with your dealership and more importantly your Service Manager ...
I will ask my service manager but I have a feeling the answer will be that since the part was never available here (in the US) as a factory option or dealer-installed accessory, that MB/AMG will not warrant it. Furthermore, I suspect that any damage to the "driveline" would also not be covered, if it could be shown the non-covered AMG LSD caused some failure. In any case, a warranty claim could be an uphill battle, with lots of car "down time" during all the arguing. That would be the only thing that would prevent me from doing such a mod.

But I hope your install goes well and please let us know what you think!

Rgds,
Norm
Old 01-08-2005, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
What's all this talk about warranty. This should be a non issue. The LSD will not cause damage to any part of the car. If the LSD fails it would only be covered by the LSD manufacturers warranty(maybe 1 year if your lucky). You could not expect DC to warranty the AMG LSD for 7 years or 100,000 miles if you have the extended warranty. New car warranties are only good for original parts on the car, not aftermarket add on's.

It is unlikely an LSD would break an axle since it is now dividing the torque 50/50 between the axles instead of 100% of the torque going through one axle as stock.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
What's all this talk about warranty. ... It is unlikely an LSD would break an axle since it is now dividing the torque 50/50 between the axles instead of 100% of the torque going through one axle as stock.
Probably true and certainly less of a problem then some engine mods that could result in more expensive failures that might have warranty coverage issues. Just thinking about Murphy's Law.

But I still might consider this mod. Several of my previous BMW's had LSD and I always thought they helped in slippery situations.

Rgds,
Norm
Old 01-08-2005, 03:57 PM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Norm,

I will keep you posted. I know currently when I turn ESP off and hammer the pedal, the car just sits and spins like crazy. I have been told that this should not be the case by having the AMG LSD. This will be one of first tests.

I look forward to going back to the track in March once I have it installed and see how my 1/4 time improves.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
... I will keep you posted. ...
Great! I'm sure many here will be interested in your comments about it.

Rgds,
Norm
Old 01-08-2005, 07:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are in for an expensive suprise if this is what you are after in a LSD.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Differential for C32/C55 by AMG Manufaktur