Eisenmann "Race" Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 428i M-Sport, '02 C32 AMG
Eisenmann "Race" Review

hi,

i promised a writeup on the Eisenmann exhaust i got for the C32 so here it is. it is Eisenmann Race-Version Dual 83mm Round Tips, for C32 it's a LONG POST.

first, the sound: at startup, it is not really louder than stock. some might think that this might be even stock if they didn't see the tips. the tone is slightly deeper, but not noticably louder. at this point, i thought i may have even received the "sport" version. idle is nice and mellow, low pitched and surprisingly a softer tone than expected. there is a slightly more rasp to it, but not very notable. like how the C32 engine is "clattery" at idle, it just amplifies it slightly. at first drive, it was quite comfortable sound. at around 2400rpm, the car got increasingly louder. around 3000rpm i could definitely tell it's "race" version. the exhaust is full-bodied and sounds like a very powerful v6. not mistaken for a v8 but take the stock C32 sound, and amplify it and give it a bit more "boom". i wouldn't call it resonance or drone but the sound filled the cabin with a very sporty boom. slightly burbly on deceleration. the sound clips on eisenhaus are really very close to the actual sound, but just increase the volume some bit and the idle has a little more substance. the sound is very pleasing when just cruising and if you happen to take it to mid-rpm punch it sounds great. very satisfied with the way it sounds. it is not hollow or raspy or

the sound in summary i can best describe is it does sound like a C32 tone just more sonorous, louder, noticably deeper, a bit more booming, and more sporty and sweeter sounding. the C32 tone is definitely not lost...but it is just all around better IMO. if you even punch it slightly it will be loud but not obnoxious...i would not call it resonance or drone, and there is no headache for me. compared to my expectations, it is not as loud as i thought at idle, but it definitely sounds great and "racey" in mid-rpm. around 4500rpm sounds glorious but haven't taken it to redline yet. i'm sure it will be very pleasing. i love the sweet mid end boom.

the install - took about an hour, and was total $75. it does require cutting and welding, but it's no biggie. the stock muffler must be cut off, and the eisenmann muffler must be placed on. the eisenmann does have larger piping from the manufacturer, and thus they include an adaptor. the eisenmann piping slides right over the stock piping and the adaptor is welded to the stock piping so there is not leaking. basically the eisenmann sleves right over the stock pipe and the adaptor is welded on to close the gap b/t diameters. the hangers on the exhaust i received were at a slightly angled the wrong way for an easy install, so the installers hammered it for 15 seconds and it worked fine. the exhaust now fits well, and the tips are close but not touching nor too close for comfort to the rear bumper. the muffler is tidy fit under.

what you have to do if you want to DIY is to measure up the mufflers, see where to cut. make sure to do this carefully because if you cut too much you are probably screwed. cut conservatively so you don't overcut...then make sure that the mufflers are aligned. slide the adaptor over the piping, with the more open end facing the rear, so it can eventually weld onto the eisenmann. then juggle the exhaust in - making adjustments to brackets if necessary, as was in my case - and slide the eisenmann over the stock piping until you match it with the adaptor at the desired place so it fits right. weld to close the gap. this is just what i observed from the guys installing so i may be missing a few things but i think i got most of it. so don't take my word for install as a complete guide but just a heads up - it does not simply bolt up nicely.

a technical note - eisenmann said that it reduces a little bit of backpressure...from 6.7psi stock to now 6.2psi with the eisenmann i think. this will free up some power but they specifically designed it so that it does not drop below the 6.2psi threshold, which then would be too much loss of backpressure and actually hurt performance. they said that the eisenmann provides optimal backpressure, both freeing but still within limits so as not to lose torque or power. it is free flowing but still retains the 6.2psi miniumum backpressure...the best calculated combination according to eisenhaus.

how it looks - the exhaust looks very good IMO. i got the 83mm dual round. the tips say "eisenmann" etched on them and they're nice and thin metal, big round tips. looks slightly more menacing. the muffler cannot be seen as much, and for this reason i think it has slightly better ground clearance than the stock AMG muffler. especially when comparing the two, bare, uninstalled mufflers side by side...you can tell the eisenmann will not hang as low.

i was very very close to getting oval tips. i originally reasoned that the Oval Tips are for AMG's. AMG cars have nice fat oval tips. BMW M cars always have Round tips. for this reason i wanted Oval and i like the idea of making something "like stock", but "noticably different". like you can tell it's similar to stock but it's just not quite so. i ended up getting the Round because i thought it would be better fitment, and i had never seen real pics of the Oval and could not justify a purchase just off speculation - epsecially if it didn't look right. also, i didn't want to have to make cutouts...i've seen 83mm round look good so i went with what was proven to look good.

performance - i did not get to test out full throttle at all yet. maybe later. the throttle response appears to be a tad better, especially in mid-range, but this could definitely be the "placebo effect". however, it is evident from my drive home that i did NOT lose any low-end torque. i used to have an E36 M3 with a UUC System U catback and with that exhaust i noticed an immediate loss of low-end torque. with the eisenmann on the C32, in fact, it may seem that i have gained a slight amount of power because the car revs to what i think is slightly easier. of course, it is hard to believe that just a muffler can provide much power...and as i said maybe it's a mental means to justify my purchase but the car does to me feel *slightly* improved. at worse it is just as good as stock and did not lose any. so from my experience, don't worry about losing power by going "race" version, which some may think is too free-flowing. i think eisenhaus did it well as the "race" appears just as good, if not ever so slightly, better than stock.

pictures are forthcoming tomorrow or this weekend, and i have a video but i need to compress it. i will take more in the meantime. pics and vids...that will provdie an even better perspective on the exhaust. btw, thanks frisco for the recommendation on the exhaust install. thank you eisenhaus also for the good customer support. worked out fine and i would go to them again because they have experience in installing eisenhaus exhausts and even dinan exhausts they said. SORRY FOR THE LONG POST! thanks guys for reading. hope this was enjoyable in some respect.

kevin

Last edited by KompressorKev; 12-02-2004 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is not yet completed
cant wait to hear it kev ... you like it so much... haha just by this lil summery .. i like it hahha... good luck with the exhaust kev.. hope to see you in the nex meet.. if we have one..
Old 12-02-2004, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
all this without a picture??
Old 12-02-2004, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
sweet, im now considering the race version!!!
Old 12-02-2004, 11:09 PM

benzoamgpower, i think it's a good buy. i would definitely go with the "race" version and not the "sport" version, based on my positive experience. it is not overbearing at all, IMO. best thing is to hear it in person and ride in a car with it, though, to get 1st hand experience. but honestly i don't think it's overly loud...it just sounds sweet, mellow, and a bit lower...and definitely C32 sounding. similar to stock just better all around and still liveable day to day i think.

will post pics tomorrow, but i think i'll need a host for vids...
Old 12-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
How didn't u hit redline yet? :p :p

Nice write up. When eisenhaus realeases their C55 exhuast i gotta get the race version. I also spoke to them and they said i can custom order a titanium muffler and tips. I will consider that.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:03 AM

titanium?!? Eisenmann race on a 55...crazy. i wish i got that....btw, is the exhaust then from Eisenhaus Meisterschaft or Eisenmann Technik? i've been hearing that the Meisterschaft Titaniums and soundpipes are Eisenhaus products, and not Eisenmann Technik of Germany? was just wondering

anyway, i am thinking about custom making the Eisenmann quad...similar idea to the Cargraphic exhaust for W203. i discovered the Cargraphic exhaust right after ordering Eisenmann, so there wasn't really turning back to get quad. i'm happy with the sound right now, hopefully i can custom fabricate it to quad style later on. but it's no titanium...would love to hear when you get it!
Old 12-03-2004, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK500, 04 X3, No 07 GT3RS :(
Nice writeup - now we need to hookup and compare. For perspective if I remember correctly, the titanium exhaust Eisenhaus sells for the 996 is 16k!
Old 12-03-2004, 12:53 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by KompressorKev
titanium?!? Eisenmann race on a 55...crazy. i wish i got that....btw, is the exhaust then from Eisenhaus Meisterschaft or Eisenmann Technik? i've been hearing that the Meisterschaft Titaniums and soundpipes are Eisenhaus products, and not Eisenmann Technik of Germany? was just wondering

anyway, i am thinking about custom making the Eisenmann quad...similar idea to the Cargraphic exhaust for W203. i discovered the Cargraphic exhaust right after ordering Eisenmann, so there wasn't really turning back to get quad. i'm happy with the sound right now, hopefully i can custom fabricate it to quad style later on. but it's no titanium...would love to hear when you get it!

Yes, the race on the 55 should sounds great. The titanium will be made threw Meisterschaft.

They have not realeased any pricing for the C55 exhaust yet, but they said for titanium it will cost about double or twice as much as the stainless. I still may go for the stainless since it will give a nice clean bright look. But then again, titanium tips look badass. I just hope it can go well with the whole look of a Mercedes. Its not a car you normally see a titanum exhaust on. But either way, titainium or stainless, i should have the race version once they come out in approx. 2 months.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:55 AM

the titanium being Kreis-sieg, uber-expensive japanese company.

definitely compare eisenmanns, that would be cool, haha. see you at the bay area meet if it's ever coordinated. btw, i heard your car passing by on 3rd ave last saturday and boy it sounds nice!

xxbenzc230kxx - thanks. yeah see you at the next meet.

Last edited by KompressorKev; 12-03-2004 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:57 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by Frisco
Nice writeup - now we need to hookup and compare. For perspective if I remember correctly, the titanium exhaust Eisenhaus sells for the 996 is 16k!

You are correct. The 996TT and GT2 exhuats are about 16k, while the titainium for the GT3 is like 5k. And if u think thats bad, the 360 Modena titanium is 20k. But just to compare, a titanium exhuats, and eisenhaus titainium for a M3 is a little over 2k.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
nice write up! enjoy the exhaust! =)
Old 12-03-2004, 02:53 AM

thank you for the compliments on the writeup. i just did my best to inform MBWorld about all aspects of the Eisenmann.

pictures tomorrow!
Old 12-03-2004, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Excellent write up, thx

When i had my C32, i wanted to get the Eisenmann exhaust, but was always hesitent for different reasons. I really want to get the quads on my C55, i've gone to their website, but they have no info yet. I hope they come out soon!
Old 12-03-2004, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
where's the ****ing pics????
Old 12-03-2004, 06:08 PM

hi,

after letting it sit overnight, i noticed that the exhaust today is more agressive at idle. there is a distinct difference b/t eisenmann and stock at idle, both in volume and tone. there is a growl and nice slight burble, but it is very nice i think, very sporty.

when i drove it today...WOW it sounds incredible! it is definitely "race" version now. i am thrilled with the sound, especially on full throttle windows down. i normally drive about 20% throttle just cruising around town and it is noticable but easy to it totally transforms under full throttle into a loud racey howl that's reminiscent of both the eisenmann exhausts on the website and the stock c32. the sound is loud and agressive, but clean and throaty. i am very impressed that Eisenmann exhaust is so agressive but with no detectable resonance! loud and clean sounding imo, if you want to keep it under control just don't gas it but jab the throttle and i think the sound is glorious at max accel!

can anybody host some vids? also, any tips on how to compress them? they're large files. i just made two, and am waiting for my camera to recharge so i can redo some more. a moving one and flyby video very soon...
Old 12-03-2004, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Vader13
where's the ****ing pics????
please chill out. i said i would post pics today, here are a few. the pictures are not as detailed because i had to resize.

my camera's recharging now so i can upload a few more. and i have two vids but need to compress them and need a host. more vids in the works now.
Attached Thumbnails Eisenmann "Race" Review-dscn0392-ps.jpg   Eisenmann "Race" Review-dscn0402ps.jpg   Eisenmann "Race" Review-dscn0407ps.jpg   Eisenmann "Race" Review-dscn0390ps.jpg   Eisenmann "Race" Review-dscn0401ps.jpg  

Last edited by KompressorKev; 12-03-2004 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is not yet completed
looks great... hope to you at the meet .. i have to hear how it sound.. post more pics and post some sound clips.. thanx kev..
Old 12-03-2004, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
beautiful...... now i want an Eisenmann race too!!
Old 12-04-2004, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Me too, I am sick of our wimpy AMG tipes..where did you get it?
Old 12-04-2004, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

this has a video, scroll down..off a C320
Sounds awsome....I am going for it..with no res it will be off the hook..
http://www.eisenhaus.com/ehprice.php...=34&Submit.y=7
Old 12-04-2004, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Vader13
Me too, I am sick of our wimpy AMG tipes..where did you get it?
place in NorCal called "Carlab". i will have a vid up soon. i shot some but need to compress it and i need a host...

btw it sounds similar to the vid of the C320 but the C32's IMO is a little deeper and slightly more agressive. but video honestly does not do it justice!
Old 12-04-2004, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do you still have your resinator on??
and what did they charge you??
Old 12-04-2004, 12:56 AM

yes i still have my stock resonator on. i am waiting to see how loud the exhaust will be when fully broken in. then i might decide to take it off

install was $75. the exhaust list is about $1200, but i don't know how much you can deal off. sorry, i am not allowed to share the pricing information.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KompressorKev
yes i still have my stock resonator on. i am waiting to see how loud the exhaust will be when fully broken in. then i might decide to take it off

install was $75. the exhaust list is about $1200, but i don't know how much you can deal off. sorry, i am not allowed to share the pricing information.
Cool..understand..I will try to make a deal too..as usual..
edit I do not have my res on..so it should be FULL RACE..muhuhwahahahaha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Eisenmann "Race" Review