C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Why aren't Xenons Standard?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 10:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche
Why aren't Xenons Standard?

Is there a good reason why we still had to pay $790 on top of the already steep sticker for Xenon headlights, which are standard on a $26K Acura TSX? For those of you who didn't get the Lighting pkg, why did opt not to get it?
Eric...
Old 12-07-2004, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
you got both audi and MB, nice post some pics, tell us about the differecens between them
Old 12-07-2004, 10:53 PM

Porsche
Originally Posted by vdubpower
you got both audi and MB, nice post some pics, tell us about the differecens between them
I guess you missed this thread...
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/87952-poor-quality-photos-my-two-cars.html
Old 12-08-2004, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63, 2004 S500, 2013 E350, 2013 Ody Elite
because they want to make more $...of course.
Actually some people prefer not to have Xenon since the brightness might blind you in extremly dark mt. road while driving. You basically can't see darker area once u used to Xenon's bright area. Your eye can't adjust fast enough for the unlighted area.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:04 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
FIRST OF ALL: mercedessses in the US are dead cheap compared to identical mercedesses in the rest of the world...so as far as the sticker price is to be concerned...it is FAR from steep!!!

SECONDLY: MBUSA wants to offer cars at low price...and in order to do so, they specify the base model (in this case the base C55) as cheap as they can by removing features as standard equipment and make those features optional equipment...something I myself find easy to understand.

THIRD: if an Acura is what you want, then that is what to get...regardless wether one car is twice as cheap as another...if it is something you don't want to be driving, any price is too expensive to start with...

greetingz,
Old 12-08-2004, 06:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by MBenzNL
FIRST OF ALL: mercedessses in the US are dead cheap compared to identical mercedesses in the rest of the world...so as far as the sticker price is to be concerned...it is FAR from steep!!!

SECONDLY: MBUSA wants to offer cars at low price...and in order to do so, they specify the base model (in this case the base C55) as cheap as they can by removing features as standard equipment and make those features optional equipment...something I myself find easy to understand.

THIRD: if an Acura is what you want, then that is what to get...regardless wether one car is twice as cheap as another...if it is something you don't want to be driving, any price is too expensive to start with...

greetingz,
You stated all my views, nothing much I need to say

BTW, local here was aslo thinking to set laws to control the beam angle of Bi-Xenon as many aftermarkets installation was not done to others safety.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:15 AM

Porsche
Originally Posted by MBenzNL

greetingz,

The reason I brought this up was because my wife's S4 came standard with bi-xenon headlights.. The S4 is also german (with inflated prices outside the US) and a direct competitor to the C55. On top of that Audi has included full maintence that even covers brake pads.... Mercedes has removed this program from the entire line-up... Now how cheap is that?
Eric....
Old 12-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by EKaru
Now how cheap is that?
compared to the prices in europe...STILL dead cheap!

greetingz,
Old 12-08-2004, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
As was stated before, if you want Audi, go Audi. The reason MB does all the things you said is because they can. If MB can take xenons off the standard features list, charge $800 for them, and still sell all their cars (if not more), they'll do it. If they can take away their paid maintenance program and still sell cars, they'll do it. MB is a business, they think like a business (even more so now than ever before). Any belief that MB is out there to be nice and friendly and give you what the other manufacturers give you simply because "they do it too" is simply untruthful. MB will continue to take advantage of its position as a premium brand, as will Porsche, BMW, and other high-end car manufacturers - they will charge when they can, for what they can, up until it starts hurting business.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:01 PM

I can't give you a good reason and not only is it not standard on the premium C55, it's not even standard on the S430! Thats nutz. In addition we only got them as part of package on our now dead and buried E500. They were standard on my 32K Honda S2000. I will say that the xenons on the Mercedes are substanstially better than either the Honda or our 745. How do they comapre to those on the S4?
Old 12-08-2004, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Anyone know if the MB xenons (on the C55) have a self-leveling system?

Rgds,
Norm
Old 12-08-2004, 04:39 PM

Porsche
Originally Posted by 05C55
I can't give you a good reason and not only is it not standard on the premium C55, it's not even standard on the S430! Thats nutz. In addition we only got them as part of package on our now dead and buried E500. They were standard on my 32K Honda S2000. I will say that the xenons on the Mercedes are substanstially better than either the Honda or our 745. How do they comapre to those on the S4?

I think the Xenons are brighter on the C55, though have you noticed that Audi Xenons tend to be more blue (purplish even)....
For those of you above who are making the comparison with non-US spec Benz cars, I know their standard equipment list pales in comparison to here.. Nearly every luxury item is optional elsewhere.... BUT... that is not my argument... The fact is that this IS America, so I'm only comparing the Benz cars to other luxury makes like Audi and Lexus who have Xenons as standard equipment. At least Doug (05C55) acknowledges that there's no excuse..
Eric....

http://www.topgear.com/content/featu...ishing_act/01/
Old 12-08-2004, 05:11 PM

BMW E60 M5 / C55 AMG
Yes It really sucks that bi-xenon is not standard equipment. In Fact when I purchased my car I told the salesman that the only options I wanted where Nav, and Bi-xenon. He plain out lied to me and told me Bi-Xenon where standard. I believed him because I was taking a look at a 545/645/S4 and they all came with Xenon standard. Now I had to buy a set of bi-xenon headlamps for the C55 but I have not been able to install them. ALL the MB dealerships in Boston refuse to install them. I need to take them to a body shop to have them retrofitted.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:12 PM
Almost a Member!

hows you audi doing? any problems yet? i just had mine lemoned. missfire on cly #7 couldnt be fixed. i had an 04 nogarro with alcantara loaded. now im in a c55.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Check HK's C55 specification
C55 spec
Note that:-

1. B-Xenon is not a standard for all W203.
2. Bi-xenon headlamps with cornering light function is an option for all W203 except C55.

C55 's headlamp is not same as W203 but same as a CLK.
The CLK Bi-Xenon headlamp on my C55 comes as a 'standard' ( a 'gift' ) from the dealer so that I guess it then matches its AMG status among others W203 who might or might not have B-Xenon option.

What it mean, if you find your car has an 'option' included as 'standard, it does not mean this is the 'standard' of your country but an option give away by the dealer for market strategy/competition reason.

If you notice the on link, THERMATIC automatic climate control is in the STANDARD list. This is why it is not available as an OPTION for W203.

My 2 cents
Old 12-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by noka
Anyone know if the MB xenons (on the C55) have a self-leveling system?
ALL factory installed (MB) (Bi)Xenons come with the auto levelling feature...

greetingz,
Old 12-08-2004, 06:28 PM

Porsche
Originally Posted by setUout
hows you audi doing? any problems yet? i just had mine lemoned. missfire on cly #7 couldnt be fixed. i had an 04 nogarro with alcantara loaded. now im in a c55.

The S4 is still new (only 2K miles) but so far all's going well.... I gotta knock on wood when I say this in regard to any German make....
Eric....
Old 12-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Almost a Member!

any mods done to it yet?......
Old 12-08-2004, 06:58 PM

Porsche
Originally Posted by setUout
any mods done to it yet?......

I have never done a mechanical or cosmetic modification of any kind to a car... Several years ago one of my friends had a Porsche 928 with a Calloway twin turbo conversion. The thing did 0-60 in 4 seconds, but it was in the shop constantly.. Doing mods just aren't my thing and I wouldn't want to face the possiblity of voiding the warranty.... About the S4, wan't the old B5 S4 much better for modifying being that it was a forced induced car?
Eric...
Old 12-08-2004, 08:21 PM
Almost a Member!

yeah i had a b6 s4 and a b5 s4 and a b5 a4. all of them were problematic.
my buddy has a b5 s4 thats around a mid 3 0-60 and mid to low 11;s in the quarter. but hes always working on it. always. as far as the c55 goes wheels and coilover kit for sure. then probably window tint. then who knows. for now the motor feels good as is.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by DL_AMG
because they want to make more $...of course.
Actually some people prefer not to have Xenon since the brightness might blind you in extremly dark mt. road while driving. You basically can't see darker area once u used to Xenon's bright area. Your eye can't adjust fast enough for the unlighted area.
That makes no sense you cant see darker roads becuase of the brigher light.?You wont blind people with auto level bi-xenon's and when you turn on high beams the effect compared to halogen is uncomparible. 3200 Lumens concentrated and balanced by projectors cant be compared to 800 lumens a halogen bulb has. Thats why projectors where made so the light would have a cutoff and wouldnt blind un comming drivers while spreading the light evenly and better then any halogen reflector housing could.

I dont see why anyone wouldnt get HID headlights over the fact that there cheap or never been in a HID eqipped car.

Last edited by Mr.PS; 12-08-2004 at 09:04 PM.