C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Is it possible to change the headlight lens?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 10:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32
Is it possible to change the headlight lens?

Hi everyone,
I know that Bixenon is a popular upgrade for all of us that are stuck with the frosted headlights. However, I can't justify spending $1K+ just to get a new set of headlights when I already have xenon's and would rather spend that money on other mods. My question is that since the new 2004/2005 C classes (non xenon and bixenon) have clear headlight lenses, is it possible to simply swap out the lens to get rid of the frosted look? I'll still use the same assembly but just a different lens. Of course I won't have the projector but it will give it an updated look. Does anyone know if this is possible and how much the lenses cost?
thanks,
Benny
Old 12-22-2004, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it is possible to change the lens only. BUT, you have to buy the entire bi-xenons assembly and take out those lenses. Hahaha!!

Nah, it has to be sold as a whole unit, you can't just buy the lens.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
sorry to dig an old topic, but it shows that i really searched this...

if one were to swap clear lenses for the frosted lenses from a 2002 OEM xenon light , what does it look like through the lense? is it as visualy appealing as the 2005+ OEM halogen lights?

tyia...

Alex
Old 06-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
looking from the outside INTO the headlight will look a lot better then looking from the INSIDE OF THE CAR out ONTO THE ROAD at night when NEEDING THE LIGHTS.

The frosted lenses are frosted because that frostiness creates the actual BEAMPATTERN on the road...when taking away that frostiness you will get stuck with a headlight that just throws light into the open without any usefull beam pattern what-so-ever.

greetingz,
Old 06-05-2006, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MBenzNL
looking from the outside INTO the headlight will look a lot better then looking from the INSIDE OF THE CAR out ONTO THE ROAD at night when NEEDING THE LIGHTS.

The frosted lenses are frosted because that frostiness creates the actual BEAMPATTERN on the road...when taking away that frostiness you will get stuck with a headlight that just throws light into the open without any usefull beam pattern what-so-ever.

greetingz,
thank you Steve! scrap that idea...and save up for bix...

cant wait for your june/july trip to get my version coding!
Old 06-05-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 G63 AMG, 2019 G550
Originally Posted by xqwizit
Hi everyone,
I know that Bixenon is a popular upgrade for all of us that are stuck with the frosted headlights. However, I can't justify spending $1K+ just to get a new set of headlights when I already have xenon's and would rather spend that money on other mods. My question is that since the new 2004/2005 C classes (non xenon and bixenon) have clear headlight lenses, is it possible to simply swap out the lens to get rid of the frosted look? I'll still use the same assembly but just a different lens. Of course I won't have the projector but it will give it an updated look. Does anyone know if this is possible and how much the lenses cost?
thanks,
Benny
XQWIZIT, have you seen this thread? https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/117694-not-bad-400-bux.html
Old 06-07-2006, 01:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
N/A
I recommend saving for the bi-x. i bought from steve, installed 6000K bulbs, and still smile everytime my lights come on. incredible upgrade.

Trending Topics

Old 12-09-2010, 02:29 AM

C240
I Recently replaced the headlight lens on my 2001 c240 with a clear lens I bought from eBay. I believe it came originally with frosted lens. The installation went smoothly but to my surprise when I turned on the headlight at night, the light pattern changed. Both headlights project towards the center of the car instead of it being spread out. The looks of the car is so awesome in the day but light sucks at night. Any idea or solution.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:04 AM

2001 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by wallbearing
I Recently replaced the headlight lens on my 2001 c240 with a clear lens I bought from eBay. I believe it came originally with frosted lens. The installation went smoothly but to my surprise when I turned on the headlight at night, the light pattern changed. Both headlights project towards the center of the car instead of it being spread out. The looks of the car is so awesome in the day but light sucks at night. Any idea or solution.
This is why I still have the OEM 2002 C32 headlight lens on my car (old looking). I really want the clear lenses and just do a replacement but I know the beam pattern will play up.

The DEPO replacements also I've heard mixed reviews on. Hard to get RHD versions too.. anyone got any luck?

How bad is the beam pattern for you wallbearing?
Old 12-09-2010, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mosselman 190E 16V+ C63S+ Abarth 595
Originally Posted by wallbearing
re-aim them.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:23 PM

2002 C32 AMG
I've got depos, no complaints. Maybe it's inconsistency in production. I bought them used for $150/pair and they work like a charm. Beam pattern is nice and cutoff is clean, doesn't throw any codes, just lost my self-leveling.

Bry
Old 12-10-2010, 02:46 AM

C240
Headlight lens

Originally Posted by Beaker
This is why I still have the OEM 2002 C32 headlight lens on my car (old looking). I really want the clear lenses and just do a replacement but I know the beam pattern will play up.

The DEPO replacements also I've heard mixed reviews on. Hard to get RHD versions too.. anyone got any luck?

How bad is the beam pattern for you wallbearing?
Pretty bad. Most of the light pattern is concentrated towards them middle and there's no light to illuminate the front sides of the car. I tried to realign but no luck.

I am deliberating whether to buy new headlights. Any suggestion?