ESP off, can it cause damage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32amg
ESP off, can it cause damage?

With ESP off has anybody experienced damage from a power burnout that was not covered by warrantee?
Old 02-24-2005, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slobote
With ESP off has anybody experienced damage from a power burnout that was not covered by warrantee?
You can cause damage, just like with any other car, and the computer keeps a log of the parameters i.e., ESP=Off, and the dealership could find this and screw you. A lot really depends on your dealership. Mine replaced my diff and other various parts under warranty even though they knew I autocrossed (raced) my car regularly.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:00 AM

They cannot screw you. Turning off ESP or flooring the car are normal operations (ESP doesn't really turn off unless you are talking about engaging the dyno mode). The engine has a rev limiter and essentially saves itself from over revving. The biggest marketing tool AMG/Mercedes uses to sell the AMG line is a track car, the F1 safety car. I have never heard of anyone with an AMG being denied or even questioned about the use of the car in regards to a warranty issue.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 05C55
They cannot screw you. Turning off ESP or flooring the car are normal operations (ESP doesn't really turn off unless you are talking about engaging the dyno mode). The engine has a rev limiter and essentially saves itself from over revving. The biggest marketing tool AMG/Mercedes uses to sell the AMG line is a track car, the F1 safety car. I have never heard of anyone with an AMG being denied or even questioned about the use of the car in regards to a warranty issue.
Wait a minute, is a "power burnout" normal operation? No, so yeah, then can deny your warranty claim!

It has nothing to do with the F1 safety car, and NO, MBUSA does NOT endorse any form of motorsports including autocross or local drag nights. They are bound to the M&M act for aftermarket modifications but if you participate in any form of motorsports, your warranty is void. If you do a power burnout and destroy your trans, do you think they will blindly cover it?

Furthermore you are not doing a torque braking burnout without Dyno mode. So...
Old 02-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Almost a Member!

c32amg
Let me rephrase my question.

Has anyone turned off the ESP and floored the c32 from a dead stop, ruin anything other then the rear tires?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:53 PM

BLACK 2005 SLK55 AMG,02 SILVER C32(SOLD),02 ML320 SILVER(Sold),99 S320 BLUE, 03 E500 Sport Pewter
my dealer covers eveything i kept turning on and off the esp and guned my car all of the time and my workshop light came on they fixed it with no questions asked they have to thats the best part about having a warranty when you buy a car they dont say "dont drive fast and break the car" hell no i would tell them them to go f*ck off the car can be driven how the driver wants to drive it just as long as you dont have any modifications then they cant void warranty
Old 02-24-2005, 11:39 PM

The car is specifically designed to the effect that substantial throttle inputs will cause excessive loss of traction so it absolutely is a normal operation of the car. In fact I had a conversation with an MB rep complaining that my car would not spin the wheels enough. I have resolved that issue though.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 05C55
The car is specifically designed to the effect that substantial throttle inputs will cause excessive loss of traction so it absolutely is a normal operation of the car. In fact I had a conversation with an MB rep complaining that my car would not spin the wheels enough. I have resolved that issue though.
That's cool and all, but, we are not talking normal wheel spin here. He said power burnout which I interpret as a brake stand which is not normal operation. The sensor readings would be recorded and could easily be used against you.

MB designed... I don't know about the C32, but things break at risk are your motor, transmission, diff and half shafts. My car, though not a C32 and having differnt dirveline components, has broken a trans input shaft, 1 pinion, and 1 ring gear.

That being said, no one I know of has broken things doing a couple burnouts.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:58 PM

1997 C36 AMG
It might not have any damage on your car in the short term.

But I am sure it will have some impact in the long run.

The way I see it, no matter what you do something gotta give.

For example:
1. you have the best suspension out there for track use. The car handle like it rolling on its rail. (The drawback, premature worn on rubber shock mount, suspension bushing, etc).

2. the car has a beefed up tranny, but you drag the car almost everyweek. Soon the clutch will be gone.. (no matter how beefed up the tranny is made from the factory).

In my opinion Benz is not a race car. When you do something excessive (i.e excessive burn out, excessive stress of the car be that engine, or suspension) something gotta give. (Even race cars need to be rebuilt almost after everyrace)

At the end it will damage your wallet off course

PS: Even with normal usage, any part will eventually worn out and need replacing..

Regardz,
Old 02-25-2005, 12:38 AM

AMG C43, 1999
Ah, but what Fun can be had in the process of doing a little damage!

Jeff
Old 02-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Almost a Member!

c32amg
Thanks for the info guys, I am seventy one years old and still cannot resist the temption on some occasions, when stopped at a stoplight, to kick the butt of some of psuedo hot rodders with big fat sedans and sometimes a sports car. This car that I own is the perfect stealth car to do it with. No old granpa here. My wife is sixty seven and she blew of some young punk in a camero and was he surprised.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:05 AM
JeT

Thanks for the info guys, I am seventy one years old and still cannot resist the temption on some occasions, when stopped at a stoplight, to kick the butt of some of psuedo hot rodders with big fat sedans and sometimes a sports car. This car that I own is the perfect stealth car to do it with. No old granpa here. My wife is sixty seven and she blew of some young punk in a camero and was he surprised.
LOL that's great! I would have loved to see that!!
Old 02-25-2005, 09:27 AM

I hope I'm just like you when I'm that age. Now we all want to know if you are still listening to rock music???????????
Old 02-25-2005, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That made my day! That's truly awesome!
Old 02-25-2005, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG 2002, C 63 AMG 2009
Originally Posted by J Irwan
It might not have any damage on your car in the short term.

But I am sure it will have some impact in the long run.

The way I see it, no matter what you do something gotta give.

For example:
1. you have the best suspension out there for track use. The car handle like it rolling on its rail. (The drawback, premature worn on rubber shock mount, suspension bushing, etc).

2. the car has a beefed up tranny, but you drag the car almost everyweek. Soon the clutch will be gone.. (no matter how beefed up the tranny is made from the factory).

In my opinion Benz is not a race car. When you do something excessive (i.e excessive burn out, excessive stress of the car be that engine, or suspension) something gotta give. (Even race cars need to be rebuilt almost after everyrace)

At the end it will damage your wallet off course

PS: Even with normal usage, any part will eventually worn out and need replacing..

Regardz,
Nicely "Expressed" from a knowledageable source. You must visit "Bnzsport" alot
Old 02-26-2005, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Yes, it can do some serious damage....

....if you get axle hop, a.k.a. axle tramp. Axle hop/tramp is defined as a form of wheel hop which is usually found in live rear axle cars. It occurs when sudden torque loads on the suspension cause the driven wheels to shake violently by slightly rotating the wheels and then springing back.

You will feel this from within the car as something like someone hitting the axle repeatedly, and very, very quickly, with a sledgehammer. It is *not* good, and can turn portions of your driveline into nice, chunky little bits of metal in a big hurry. If you ever feel something like this, do two things: 1) let off of the gas, immediately; 2) never, ever do what you did to cause this to happen again.

Solution is to fit some wider rear tires with better traction. You can get 265/35-18's on stock E55 rims for the rear, which helps a lot, but with these torque monsters you've got to be careful...

Last edited by Improviz; 02-26-2005 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:23 AM
Almost a Member!

c32amg
Impro, thanks for the info. In 1957 we bought a new vette and raced it at local drag strips. At that time with leaf rear springs, the rear axle would wind up when leaving the line. We had to install traction masters that connect the rear axle to the frame. Worked great,anything like that still around?

Bob
Old 02-26-2005, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Yeah, stuff like that is out there, but I don't know if it's available for ours...other options are a true limited slip diff (although this is expensive)...cheapest would be to upsize the tires; I never got axle tramp after I installed the 265's. Downside is the ride quality goes down a bit with the 18's on the rear (I kept the 17's up front for ride quality...got the idea from Corvettes, which have staggered sizes standard).

Impro, thanks for the info. In 1957 we bought a new vette and raced it at local drag strips. At that time with leaf rear springs, the rear axle would wind up when leaving the line. We had to install traction masters that connect the rear axle to the frame. Worked great,anything like that still around?

Bob
Old 02-26-2005, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bob
RennTECH sells a rear sub-frame modification kit which will cure both tramp and the wiggles under braking. Speedbnz.com could make you better arms for less, I use speedybenz's custom rear arms and tracked the car at VIR 2/19-20 and had no wheel hop, and no wiggles. Great stuff!
Old 03-27-2005, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
I can't see how MB would be able to figure out or know that I was power braking my car with the star diag.I beg to differ.I turn off the esp everytime I want to get a charge out of my 5.5L.I just can't see them figuring I was power breaking my car.