C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Contemplating selling the C32 and getting into an Mitsubishi EVO..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 05:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
Contemplating selling the C32 and getting into an Mitsubishi EVO..

I'm currently approaching 46,000 miles and am looking to sell my C32. I know I can get approx. $30K for it and would love to get into a new car. The only car I am contemplating is the Evolution from Mitsubishi. I am aware of lack of luxurious amenities and will also be installing a flip out Navi system. This won't compensate all that much, but will certainly be an improvement.
Thoughts from the members would be appreciated
Pros....Cons
Old 03-01-2005, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05' MB C-dblenckel
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A MID $30K PERFORMANCE CAR I'D GET THE EVO TOO...W/ A FEW AFFORDABLE MODS, THAT THING HAULS ***!!!! MY BUDDY HAS ONE AND I DROVE IT AND LET ME TELL YA, IT PUTS MY BACK TO THE SEAT LIKE THE C55 OR M3 CAN'T DO... MUCHO G-FORCE!!!! .... IT MUST BE THE TURBO OR THE AWD ....OR I'D GET THE G35 COUPE (FOR LOOKS AND DECENT PERFORMANCE...) I SEE YOU RESIDE IN LBC SOMETIMES?? IF YOU WANT TO TEST DRIVE HIS CAR LET ME KNOW
Old 03-01-2005, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Roseylv
I'm currently approaching 46,000 miles and am looking to sell my C32. I know I can get approx. $30K for it and would love to get into a new car. The only car I am contemplating is the Evolution from Mitsubishi. I am aware of lack of luxurious amenities and will also be installing a flip out Navi system. This won't compensate all that much, but will certainly be an improvement.
Pros....Cons
After many tack sessions chasing Evo's around I have this to say...

THe evo is fast and it drives fairly well but the reality is that even with some serious mods, it still understeers worse than a stock C32. I have talked to the owners of several racing groups and many of them have EVO's as their daily/track car but they all say it wont turn in for its life. You have to flick it into a huge 4 wheel drift to make it go towards the apex.

A C32 with wheels, suspension, and brakes has a faster lap time than the evo and its about equal to a modded evo.

So if chassis dynamics is big on your list the EVO and WRX are not that great. All that said the Evo still puts the worlds biggest grin on your face for 30k. It feels just to nice ripping through the gears.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:09 PM

2002 C32
The Evo's transmission/central diff is very loud, I was in a friends and we were all wondering what the noise was till the owner clued us in, not necessarily a deal breaker but a world away from a Mercedes.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:04 PM
JeT

This may be of interest...personally, I wouldn't give up a C32 for the extra grunt and handling. I would never use it...but the Evo is still an impressive car nonetheless.

http://www.layeredchaos.com/CSi/FQ400-Topgear.wmv
Old 03-01-2005, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pros....Cons
You are comparing worlds here. The C32 is faster with a better chassis and amenities, the evo is a knock down drag out race car in street trim, particularly the MR. Both the STi and Evo are auto-x and rally kings, but on a road course or the street, you will likely find yourself missing the C32. Especially if you going to be streeting it. They're fun through the wow factor, after that, they're just uncomfortable day-to-day.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:25 PM

Good luck with reliability on the Evo's, especially if you intend to drive it like it's meant to be driven.

I'd stick with the C32, just as fast and commands attention both on the road and at the Valet too!
Old 03-01-2005, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
There is no replacement of a Evo
Once in a life-time I will love to own one with automatic transmission.
Get the Evo 9, 46000 miles with the C32 , it must be pretty bored by now
May be I should consider to get the Evo 10 by the time when my C55 is 30000km?
Old 03-01-2005, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cntlaw
There is no replacement of a Evo
Once in a life-time I will love to own one with automatic transmission.
Get the Evo 9, 46000 miles with the C32 , it must be pretty bored by now
May be I should consider to get the Evo 10 by the time when my C55 is 30000km?
An Auto Evo defeats the purpose of the Evo... I don't understand your post???
Old 03-02-2005, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
drop the crackpipe.... j/k
Old 03-02-2005, 01:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
thanks

Thanks for all of the comments.
This thursday I will be getting some "behind the wheel" time and will hopefully get some good real life experiance.
BTW, this would be my VERY FIRST STCK. And though being able to drive it doesn't worry me, being able to like it does!
Is the EVO not going to be the ritght car for first time stick owner, or is the right car to start on? Gota start someone where right??

p.s. I can alraedy drive a stick OK.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This thursday I will be getting some "behind the wheel" time and will hopefully get some good real life experiance.
BTW, this would be my VERY FIRST STCK. And though being able to drive it doesn't worry me, being able to like it does!
Is the EVO not going to be the ritght car for first time stick owner, or is the right car to start on? Gota start someone where right??

My observations are that your question depends on you. Some people can pick up on things quickly. Others need to enter things slowly, and work up from there (skill, experience, etc.), are you a dive right in kinda person?

Really, you need to get that seat time to see how YOU feel about the car. If you need the C32 type of luxury comfort, you will likely not enjoy the Evo. Mostly, the Evo has straight up racing seats in it, firm, supportive, forces proper driving position. As much of a shame that this is, most drivers are seeking the "armchair" effect in their automotive seats. The Evo is more for a person looking for a weekend racer than a daily driver. The other issue is that I've been reading that these cars are not lasting i.e., the motor is shot after +20K depending on your driving style.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:30 PM

My ex-cars: 03 E55,04 C32, 05 C55 ,03 E320
My friend has an EVO8 ...
it is so nice...when the turbo kicks in....the concentrated power definitely feels greater than the C55 (mine)..
However, going straight..the C55 is still faster (v8 vs i4 T)...i did this with my friend once on a highway....

but the EVO8 is really impressive!
too bad my friend crashed it during last weeks snowstorm in boston...
Old 03-02-2005, 04:37 PM

C32 AMG

Driving stick is a pleasure! I suppose sometimes if you are in heavy traffic it can be a minor pain in the ***, but it beceoms second nature after about a week.

Stick > Auto

BUT i got an auto car b/c i am lazy. if you are lazy auto is better
Old 03-02-2005, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 99ITR_SC
Driving stick is a pleasure! I suppose sometimes if you are in heavy traffic it can be a minor pain in the ***, but it beceoms second nature after about a week.

Stick > Auto

BUT i got an auto car b/c i am lazy. if you are lazy auto is better
Stick in the Evo is different. It's a lot of car. You need to be the right person for it. Most people would hate my flywheel/clutch mod, I love it. My clutch is just as heavy as my father's 69 Chevelle SS 396 that I learned to drive stick in. I hate the mushy hydrolic assisted stuff....

Here's a vid of the Evo in action- In this video the top of the line Evo MR is shown beating up an exotic...This is a version as near full rally as you can get and not available in the US. Same principle though.

http://www.layeredchaos.com/CSi/FQ400-Topgear.wmv

Remember, it takes a lot of driver to handle this thing... last year someone drove one through a port-a-potty at an auto-x at Ripkin Stadium... not an easy car to control unless you know what you are doing... I forget the link but google for the Evo forums, and read... lot's of people crash them. I wanted the MR until I did more research.

EDIT-
Here are two evo forums...
http://forums.evolutionm.net/
http://forum.evolutionforums.com/

Last edited by nukblazi; 03-02-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

dude go with whatever ur mind tells u to, sounds to me u already got an answer to your question and you just need some opinion to push yourself harder

the Evo is a difficult car to live with everyday, u will get back aches all the time, in return, u will be rewarded with some insane driving pleasure

my 2 cents
Old 03-03-2005, 08:47 AM

So, let me get this straight. You are seriously considering selling your Mercedes to replace it with a Mitsubishi?

Perhaps you should re-consider when you're not medicated or under the influence of a controlled substance, because you will definitely regret going forward with such a ridiculous move.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:23 PM
JeT

Originally Posted by Marko
So, let me get this straight. You are seriously considering selling your Mercedes to replace it with a Mitsubishi?

Perhaps you should re-consider when you're not medicated or under the influence of a controlled substance, because you will definitely regret going forward with such a ridiculous move.
Well, that's not really for you to say...unless you know him really well. Roseylv, take in what the others have said, go test drive it and if you are willing to give up the luxury for raw power, go for it! I certainly wouldn't but as they say...horses for courses man!