C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Synthetic Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 C43, 86 Porsche 951, 98 Volvo S70 T5M
Synthetic Tranny Fluid

I've read quite a few tranny threads, but not much discuss anybody using other than the stock MB tranny fluid. Since I'm new to these cars and want to get my tranny flushed soon I was wondering if it is ok to use Motul or something like that instead of the MB stuff?

Since this will be a once every 40K job springing the extra $$ on Motul would be ok by me. I just don't want to mess anything up.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by DarthCY
I've read quite a few tranny threads, but not much discuss anybody using other than the stock MB tranny fluid. Since I'm new to these cars and want to get my tranny flushed soon I was wondering if it is ok to use Motul or something like that instead of the MB stuff?

Since this will be a once every 40K job springing the extra $$ on Motul would be ok by me. I just don't want to mess anything up.
I use Amsoil and have used it several times in my C43 tranny with great success.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the info. Is there any specific fluid I should be looking for or just regular ATF? I know some cars are very peculiar about what type of fluid you put in there.

I'm looking at putting this in there as Motul comes very highly reccomended and what I have going into my S70 when I get around to doing it. Though the S70 is getting different fluid than this one.

http://www.motorspot.com/dir.cfm?sec...end=10&itemid=

Though the Amsoil ATF looks pretty good as well. Just want to keep the car (especially the tranny) in good operating shape. I'll pay good money on preventative maintenance.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Atf

I did a flush and fill when I purchased my car (72K) on the odo - I used Mobil One Synthetic ATF. Motul's good stuff too, I have no idea why MB would think fluid will last the 'lifetime' of any given vehicle, they had to be sniffing glue that day. It's always a good investment, needless to say good PM, to replace all fluids when you first acquire another vehicle. Don't neglect to change the plugs at this time too. I did a thorough write up, specifically for this vehicle, if you need to tackle that job.

Ask away...this is what the forum's for.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:51 AM

Cool. Thanks for the advice. I'm an MB newb. It is going to take a while to get used to the car and its proper maintenance proceedures. Every car is just enough different to need some helpful guys like you.

Right now I plan on Flushing the Tranny, Plugs, Green Filter or K&N, Moblie 0-40 and I have some Motul brake fluid and Coolant I bought for the Volvo, but is going to go into the Benz instead. This car kinda snuck up on me. I wasn't looking, but my office mate came across it and I fell in love.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by DarthCY
Cool. Thanks for the advice. I'm an MB newb. It is going to take a while to get used to the car and its proper maintenance proceedures. Every car is just enough different to need some helpful guys like you.

Right now I plan on Flushing the Tranny, Plugs, Green Filter or K&N, Moblie 0-40 and I have some Motul brake fluid and Coolant I bought for the Volvo, but is going to go into the Benz instead. This car kinda snuck up on me. I wasn't looking, but my office mate came across it and I fell in love.
...and from a PM (preventative maintenance) standpoint may I suggest the following - when you get a chance - change your CPS - crank position sensor - and grab a spare MAS-mass air sensor - these cars have a tendency to disappoint their owners when these items fail.You are at the mileage when these tend to fail and I would like to advise you ahead of time.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by C43AMG
...and from a PM (preventative maintenance) standpoint may I suggest the following - when you get a chance - change your CPS - crank position sensor - and grab a spare MAS-mass air sensor - these cars have a tendency to disappoint their owners when these items fail.You are at the mileage when these tend to fail and I would like to advise you ahead of time.
Damn good advice - don't forget to obtain those odd tools your new MB requires like e-torx wrenches (external), metric sockets (esp six point 16mm), torx, and metric allen head wrenches.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I'd steer clear of any transmission fluid that does not expressly comply with Mercedes specification sheets. The friction material in the transmision and the modifiers in the transmission fluid are compatable with each other for a very long time. Using other fluids will interfere with this engineered design.

The friction material in the Mercedes (and some Chrysler) cars is different from that used by other car makers. Amsoil, Motul, Redline, & Mobil 1 are all good lubricant suppliers. They, however, do not meet Mercedes specifications. If you are racing, where maintenence is expected at short intervals, and high speed, high temperature, and high performance are the objective there are transmission lubricants that are $ 30/qt made for that purpose.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the absolute best tranny oil money can buy is Royal purple. I've trid everythin from Redline to Mobile one to Amsoil to you name it. Royal purple by far is the best and where as other oils get worse over time, RP just keeps getting better and better. I don't put anything else in my cars anymore exept royal purple.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the advice guys! Is there a good place to find used MB parts? For Volvos there was EirieVovo, but I wonder if there is a comparable place for MB? I need to get a Repair Manual and an Owner's manual would be nice.

Also do these cars have a tranny cooler? Does anyone on here run one? Most of the modded auto volvo guys do and I don't think it could hurt.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
Originally Posted by StapleGun
I did a flush and fill when I purchased my car (72K) on the odo - I used Mobil One Synthetic ATF. Motul's good stuff too, I have no idea why MB would think fluid will last the 'lifetime' of any given vehicle, they had to be sniffing glue that day. It's always a good investment, needless to say good PM, to replace all fluids when you first acquire another vehicle. Don't neglect to change the plugs at this time too. I did a thorough write up, specifically for this vehicle, if you need to tackle that job.

Ask away...this is what the forum's for.
how much did you pay for your Mobil One Synthetic ATF.......?? did it run any better.....??
Old 12-18-2006, 07:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by C43AMG
C43 how much is the CPS,I've never chgd mine. How do u know if it's going bad or time to chg it?
Old 12-18-2006, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by coolcarlskiC43
C43 how much is the CPS,I've never chgd mine. How do u know if it's going bad or time to chg it?
Carl, I'm not sure what the sensor is worth.Fortunately my car acted up at my mechanics shop - put the key in , turned it...and nothing.My mechanic grabbed a bucket of water.......yes,bucket of water and dumped it along the firewall, got in and cranked it over...pulled it into the shop and 35 minutes later ( he let it cool down ) the new sensor was installed..total cost $75.00.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:45 PM
SDR

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
'99 C43, '12 C63, '13 E350, '14 Sprinter
Originally Posted by coolcarlskiC43
I think I paid about $35 for mine. The symptoms are that it will stall at low RPM or not start. Turns over fine, but doesn't start. Anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes later, when you return to kick it, the damn thing starts fine. Tends to happen more frequently when hot.
Takes about 5 to 10 mintues to R&R. The hardest part is reaching the damn thing. There are a couple posts on here with pics that are worth reviewing. My wifes E430 had to be replaced just two months after mine, so it seems to be a common failure.

BTW: I've been running RedLine D4 ATF in my tranny. Sure cleaned up the shifting when I replaced the dirty gunk that was in there. Lifetime fluid... yeah right.

Last edited by SDR; 12-18-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Atf

SL Brabus - I think I paid about $6 or $7 bucks per quart, it was not about it running any better, it was about getting fresh fluid in that transmission. The fluid that came out was almost black. My transmission did not have any problems and I would like it to stay that way. Hey Moviela - DON'T you EVER, EVER, EVER replace that MB trans fluid - you might violate their warranty, if your tranny don't go first

I also replaced the CPS at about $30 bucks or so...it's not a tough job, if you have the torx bits.

Last edited by StapleGun; 12-18-2006 at 07:57 PM.