Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Not another SprintBooster Thread..

Yup, another sprint booster thread.

So I bought this thing and then figured that the install instructions are for the newer models and got scared and felt stupid. Thanks to Ted Baldwin here I installed it in 26sec timed. On the older models the accelerator wire harness thing is right behind the ESP box next to the D.side firewall.

I have got to say, it's exactly what the C43 needs. The car responds so much better and is much more fun to drive. Before the car seemed very "off" and "on" in terms of throttle. The model I bought is for the AMG models. It is not over the top either. Just right.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:07 PM

98 c43
where did you buy it and how much?
Old 05-30-2007, 08:25 PM

magLipVE
Originally Posted by cfourthree
where did you buy it and how much?
yup, alot of the e55 guys are saying the response time are insane. i actually just ordered mine today for $270 shipped. the e55 room had a group buy going, but already ended. They paid $250 shipped.

If you dont mind paying an extra $20 bucks. contact this ebay seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sprin...spagenameZWD1V
Old 06-03-2007, 02:10 AM

AMG C43, 1999
I got a Sprint Booster for Christmas and at first thought it was the greatest thing invented since the fork. But after a while the response to throttle inputs became less and less and finally the difference was not much at all. Diconnecting the SBooster and reconnecting it would help some but nothing like the change like when I first put it on.

On fast drives in the hills the Sprint Booster would not allow you to smoothly apply the throttle which is critical when your near maximum lateral cornering force and trying to smoothly add throtle and accelerate off the turn.

I have removed mine and don't miss it at all, right now.

I will sell it to the first $225 that shows up in my Paypal account

Jeff
Old 06-03-2007, 10:31 AM

98 C43, 86 Porsche 951, 98 Volvo S70 T5M
So, basiclly what I'm hearing is that the ECU relearns to adjust for the sprint booster anyway. When you first put it in there difference is big, but after the ECU adjustes to it you are right back where you started?

Have to say i'm interested, but slightly on the fence. I'd love better throttle response as the rolling start performance of the C43 is a tad dissapointing. However these get lots of mixed reviews.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63
Just a heads up but if you guys hurry there is a sprint booster for sale in the classifieds for only $200 which is a steal I think. Esp since most distributors dont have them in stock and it takes a while for it to get to you.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' Clk 500 Cabriolet, 01' CL 55, 00' Clk 430
[QUOTE=DarthCY;2246749]So, basiclly what I'm hearing is that the ECU relearns to adjust for the sprint booster anyway. When you first put it in there difference is big, but after the ECU adjustes to it you are right back where you started?QUOTE]

This is craps statement !!! I've have them on my CL 55 and my friend's C55 for years and the performances never change.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:08 PM

AMG C43, 1999
Clk&Slk

I didn't say the Sprint Booster did not work, but that the effect became less over time with my set-up. And that the biggest issue I have is the having a smooth application of throttle during hard cornering so that I don't just spin the tires and go into to oversteer.

If the level of throttle response stays strong with different set-ups and ECU's then I would say kep it on and enjoy the benefits.

The Sprint Booster certainly can make the engine feel like you just picked up 100 Hp, which felt really great when I first put it on.

Jeff
Old 06-03-2007, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I have one for my e55 that I'll sell if somebody wants it.part # BDD 451A2
Old 06-03-2007, 08:26 PM
ksc

S500
does anyone get ESP, BAS error messages and dead throttle with SB installed? engine also sounds like a '82 pontiac. i seem to have that problem and i'm positive i have it installed correctly.

any help appreciated.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by ksc
does anyone get ESP, BAS error messages and dead throttle with SB installed? engine also sounds like a '82 pontiac. i seem to have that problem and i'm positive i have it installed correctly.

any help appreciated.
Funny you say that, yesterday I was driving normal and my car had about a 2 second delay in throttle almost like it skipped 1st and crawled into 2nd. It was strange. I did the good ole "stop, turn the car off, turn it on" and it was fine. The car has been running noticably better lately so I have no idea what happened. I am still having much more fun driving my car with the SB though.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:41 PM
ksc

S500
what i meant was, the throttle is totally dead. i can't drive the car.

after installation, i tried to rev the engine; absolutely nothing happened. i didn't even try to take it out of park.

i get the feeling i got a defective one or a completely wrong one.

in various pics of install instructions, the big end of the SB is gray; mine is black. it didn't come with a barcode sticker either.

getting in contact with SLKFANS will be difficult.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:15 PM

[QUOTE=Clk&Slk;2247187]
Originally Posted by DarthCY
So, basiclly what I'm hearing is that the ECU relearns to adjust for the sprint booster anyway. When you first put it in there difference is big, but after the ECU adjustes to it you are right back where you started?QUOTE]

This is craps statement !!! I've have them on my CL 55 and my friend's C55 for years and the performances never change.
You need to brush up on your manners and your english. I was asking a question of clarification of Speedy Benz not making an attack on the Sprint Booster or you. It would be more appropriate to state your opinion and experiences without attacking others. More info is always wanted, but blanket statement attacks with no backing info do not help.

Speedy Benz, sent you a PM. If you want to unload your Sprint Booster I'll take it.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:33 AM

I fitted the Sprint Booster to my 1998 C43 yesterday. Thanks to NitrogenBalences help I did not take my pedal off and then scratch my head as the socket for it is in the engine bay here

http://www.aocb77.dsl.pipex.com/sprint.jpg

20 second job .. thanks NB for pointing the way It probably takes longer to fill the screenwash bottle up in the picture than do this mod.

I took it out for a brief spin around the block and confirm what other people have said. It picks up at a faster rate than it would if you just put your foot down it seems and the car is lighter on it's feet and more lively. I will give it a longer drive today and then will monitor for any change over the weeks. My wife found it more enjoyable to drive as well.

Today it gets it's cracked windscreen replaced first though, going through one of those bad spells at the moment, what with the CPS failing as well .. such are the joys of motoring !

Regards
Andy
Old 07-09-2007, 11:00 PM

Just got the booster installed and took it for a test drive. Definitely worth the $225. It give the C43 the extra little punch it needs. It still has a kick down, but the travel to get to kick down has gotten really short.

Basically instead of stepping on a sponge for a gas pedal it is more like stepping on a foam mat. There is still some give, but you don't have to plant your foot on the floor to make the car go anymore. Its not like my old '83 camaro that would respond to the very slightest tough of the gas pedal, but it is much improved.

I'll see how it works long term. At least for now I'm really enjoying it.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
DarthCY, it's been 2 months. Any change in peddle response?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
No Vote On Sb

I sold my SB 451A because it made my car almost un-driveable. It shredded my drive belt to pieces and melted my tensionar pully while I was on the freeway and caused my alternator to shut down. I barely made it to the offramp and had to push it to a gas station.

Before tha iincident, everyobdy that drove my car was shocked at how extreme the car bucked when you left of the gas pedal. It was like the throttle was either 100% ON when you tapped it or 100% OFF when you release the pedal. I think it's just too dangerous. In the long run, this gadget will destroy your car one way or another.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by c55m8o
DarthCY, it's been 2 months. Any change in peddle response?
I haven't really noticed any peddle response dropoff since puting it in. However I have now taken it out and it is up for sale if anybody wants it.

The wife hated it and didn't like driving the car with it in. Like the poster above, it makes the car really buck when you take off if you aren't used to it. It seems there is a reason MB made the throttle a little soft.
I didn't notice any reliability problems.

If you are used to it then there really isn't a problem. However if somebody else who isn't used to it drive your car there might be issues. Also it can be a pain in stop and go traffic. It still is a good mod for making your car feel tons faster, but it does have its drawbacks.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
Maybe I'll buy one to keep in the glove box. It's such a simple install for our cars that I could just put it in for spirited jaunts in the country.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:30 AM

2005 C55 AMG
I've been reading about this mod for the past 2 hours, and I have a question and possible solution, albeit an un-informed suggestion.

Q: Can the SprintBooster be bypassed by simply plugging the original harness back together, without actually taking anything apart?

Possible Solutions:
1. Has anyone given thought to creating a secondary harness plug that would allow you to swap back to stock mode easily?

2. Could the device be modified/reprogrammed by the manufacturer to allow two position settings, ie one for factory stock mode, and one for the "boost" mode?

For my '87 Grand National we used to have multiple chips that were part of a "thumbwheel" device, which allowed for you to change the programming by turning the dial to a different "mode", ie "street mode", or "race mode", or "fuel saving mode", etc... This same basic principal seems like it could be adapted to this device to allow easy changes between the two settings. You could have "wife mode" and "sprint boost mode" with the flip of a switch.
I think it'd be the best of both worlds and would probably allow for many more sales of this device. So I've come up with the idea, now someone smart needs to create the actual device!

Thoughts?
Old 01-15-2008, 06:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Yes deffinately it would be a good idea of you could switch this on and off from inside the car.

It sounds like a fantastic product which would be ideal for track day use but not when your stuck in traffic around town. I have been researching how to increase/improve performance/power but this product will not increase power.
In london they are about £190.............................................. ....... for an extra £300 I have found a company called 'Evolve that provide a Stage 1 ECU Remap +32 BHP +29 Nm Torque and rolling road to prove' they also state that if you are not happy with the power increase they will put it back to its original setting, I prefer the power increase myself, I may do one or the other or both? £ £ £ will decide what I do.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
Very interesting.. now I wonder how it will effect the tranny long term. I already blew up my tranny once.. lol.