C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Adjusting Air-Fuel Ratios on ME 2.0

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG C43, 1999
Adjusting Air-Fuel Ratios on ME 2.0

I have been looking for ways to adjust the air-fuel ratio on our Bosch Motronic 2.0 ECU for a while and can't seem to find what I am looking for. And what we are looking for is copied down below. You setup your lap top and log in the ecu and the AFM tuner and set the air/fuel ratios. I combination with the Oxy2 sensor this little bit of electronics recalibrates your fuel curve while you drive. HOW SWEET I left a massage with Ammar to see if he is working with any car related comapanies.

Z-AFM Air Fuel Mapping Kit Option

The optional Z-AFM kit consists of an air fuel sensor and amplifier box that plugs into the any of the Z-Fi products, and allows for self-mapping of the motorcycle. Self-mapping means that as the user rides the bike, on the track or on a dynamometer, the Z-Fi automatically calculates the required fuel adjustment at each RPM and Throttle Position to reach the user selectable target air fuel ratio.

The Z-Fi Mapper software allows for the user to easily enter the target air fuel ratio, start, stop, and review the results of the self-mapping function. Once the recommended adjustments have been reviewed, the user can either apply all of the suggested adjustments or just a certain range with a few simple clicks of the mouse.

The Z-AFM kit offers an alternative way for mapping without the time or cost of a custom dyno tune. For the rider looking for maximum performance, a dyno tune together with the Z-AFM is the way to go. The kit comes with all of the required hardware, but may require modification of the exhaust pipe to accept the air fuel sensor fitting. Many manufacturers, like Yoshimura, make versions of their existing pipes with the sensor fitting already built in.

• Plug and Play installation with any of the Z-Fi products (may require pipe modification to accept sensor)
• Allows for self-mapping either on the track or on the dyno
• Allows an alternative way for mapping without the time or cost of a custom dyno tune
• User adjustable target air fuel ratio for performance and fuel economy

MSRP: $349.95

All Products are for Closed Race Course Use Only
Old 07-29-2008, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
I (and many others) would beat my grandmother for something like this....
Old 07-29-2008, 11:10 PM

05 C55
could not follow that at all
Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Just wondering

why you would need it on a stock 43 engine at approx 260 cu.in. and 302 hp the maf and the o2 sensors go closed loop and keep a/f ratios at optimum during normal throttle operation.Get on it hard and the maf cuts out and the mixture richens up automatically.What makes you think that an add on to remap the fuel curve is going to do anything to an unmodified engine?The stock ECU does a fine job of that already.Put it on a scope and watch how acccurately the a/f ratio is ramped on demand and values relayed to the ecu and onto the stock maf.If you think you can adjust it better and faster my hat is off to you
ohlord
Old 07-30-2008, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
also- splitsecond offers a tuning solution which works similarly to this (minus the self-adjustment)

however, it only works on cars with factory wideband 02s...
Old 07-30-2008, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
Originally Posted by ohlord
why you would need it on a stock 43 engine at approx 260 cu.in. and 302 hp the maf and the o2 sensors go closed loop and keep a/f ratios at optimum during normal throttle operation.Get on it hard and the maf cuts out and the mixture richens up automatically.What makes you think that an add on to remap the fuel curve is going to do anything to an unmodified engine?The stock ECU does a fine job of that already.Put it on a scope and watch how acccurately the a/f ratio is ramped on demand and values relayed to the ecu and onto the stock maf.If you think you can adjust it better and faster my hat is off to you
ohlord

you should note that 3 of the 4 other posters in this thread are no where near stock
Old 07-30-2008, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
I realize

that,but having built E55 motors with lighter internals and no power adders in excess of 600 h.p. extraordinary measures are not required to adjust a slightly modded(small blower),non stroked 43.The o2's ecu and same MAF that is oem in the stock 430 engine adapts fine to the amg 43 mods and it has plenty of room left to support whatever you are throwing at it short of Laughing Gas. a big dose at that.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:50 AM

AMG C43, 1999
I am sure that others with modded motors would find this to be a great benefit as it will also adjust A/F ratios out of closed loop.

But my C43 with the simple modds I made never quit ran right on top, it was always very rich. And my 55 motor with the same mods is even worse

Jeff
Old 07-30-2008, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by speedybenz
I have been looking for ways to adjust the air-fuel ratio on our Bosch Motronic 2.0 ECU for a while and can't seem to find what I am looking for. And what we are looking for is copied down below. You setup your lap top and log in the ecu and the AFM tuner and set the air/fuel ratios. I combination with the Oxy2 sensor this little bit of electronics recalibrates your fuel curve while you drive. HOW SWEET I left a massage with Ammar to see if he is working with any car related comapanies.

Z-AFM Air Fuel Mapping Kit Option

The optional Z-AFM kit consists of an air fuel sensor and amplifier box that plugs into the any of the Z-Fi products, and allows for self-mapping of the motorcycle. Self-mapping means that as the user rides the bike, on the track or on a dynamometer, the Z-Fi automatically calculates the required fuel adjustment at each RPM and Throttle Position to reach the user selectable target air fuel ratio.

The Z-Fi Mapper software allows for the user to easily enter the target air fuel ratio, start, stop, and review the results of the self-mapping function. Once the recommended adjustments have been reviewed, the user can either apply all of the suggested adjustments or just a certain range with a few simple clicks of the mouse.

The Z-AFM kit offers an alternative way for mapping without the time or cost of a custom dyno tune. For the rider looking for maximum performance, a dyno tune together with the Z-AFM is the way to go. The kit comes with all of the required hardware, but may require modification of the exhaust pipe to accept the air fuel sensor fitting. Many manufacturers, like Yoshimura, make versions of their existing pipes with the sensor fitting already built in.

• Plug and Play installation with any of the Z-Fi products (may require pipe modification to accept sensor)
• Allows for self-mapping either on the track or on the dyno
• Allows an alternative way for mapping without the time or cost of a custom dyno tune
• User adjustable target air fuel ratio for performance and fuel economy

MSRP: $349.95

All Products are for Closed Race Course Use Only
What solution is there for ignition timing as well?
Old 07-30-2008, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
ignition timing can already be done with existing products, but i'm relying on the factory to deal with that until i go over 6 psi if i ever do.

the stock ecu may be quite well able to adapt (in someones opinion), but it sure refuses to open up the injector pulsewidth the way i'd like it to (such that i could run lower fuel pressures with my set-up)

also, for what it's worth i very much intend to add a 125 shot and attempt to keep up with some of the "special" newer cars on the track.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You mean at 12 seconds at a time,right?

we already ran a 10.45 @124 in 3800 lb E55 at sea level pacific raceways with very little dyno time and more on tap on just motor.
on blower you may need some custom pistons and the new 722.6 transmission capable of holding that kind of power.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
[QUOTE=silence;2965318]ignition timing can already be done with existing products, but i'm relying on the factory to deal with that until i go over 6 psi if i ever do.
QUOTE]

So are you using the adjustable split second or the split second preset MAF clamp that comes with the SC kit?

Lastly, does anyone know what the C43 uses as stock timing and/or how to go about finding that out? Do you need a star diag. system?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
i am using the splitsecond maf scaling unit only- no timing adjustment for me at this point.

i do have quite a bit of tweaking done within the scaler though- without it i was running quite a bit too lean. i am probably tuned too safe now- currently 1st and 2nd dip as low as the high 10s, 3rd is from 11.3-11.8 and 4th and 5th are just a bit leaner than that. My "tune" slowly ramps up the added signal starting with maf readings of around 3.7 and by 4.3v it is basically sending 4.9v throughout. there are a couple of other little tricks to setting it up as well- but i won't go into those in this post. the biggest hurdles i had were how to prepare the tune for when traction control comes on and how not to go too way rich at light throttle tip-in.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
500E Signal Rot
I am using a Unichip piggy back ecu, which is hard wired between the car and stock ECU. Using the Unichip software/connectors, you can adjust timing and A/F. I just finished up my car, discovered the injectors were hitting 100% duty cycle around 5500 rpm, so I replaced them with C32 40lb injectors. At this point, my A/F is sold, around 12 all through the power band. Kleemann systems use a rising rate fuel pressure regulator (on V6 cars, on V8's , I believe they use a dc to dc inverter to up the voltage to the fuel pump) which I now no longer need.

This was done so I can go from the 76mm stock SC pulley to a 70mm pulley. It has worked out so well, I might investigate a 65mm pulley at this point.

I used a ecu schematic for a 2001 E240, which does not really help you V8 guys, but if I remember correctly, I think Unichip has a schematic for a E55, but I would have to check on that.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
if this is actually available i will order it up a.s.a.p.- do you have contact information for who you talked to in order to get that diagram/info?

what exactly does it allow? are you tuning based on tables on your laptop? what all information is it providing you?
Old 07-30-2008, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500E Signal Rot
Yes, the Unichip piggy back ECU is actually available, the one I used is a universal design, thus requiring that you know exactly which wires do what on your ECU. The diagram I used was for a m112 V6 from the E240, same motor, same harness, same ECU, just smaller displacement motor. These diagrams are not available to the public, but authorized Unichip dealers have access and can look up available schematics. You would need to contact a Unichip dealer and ask them to log into their account and see what is available. We printed out the schematic for the E240 and then went out to the CLK and pulled all the connecters from the ecu and verified each pin and the color scheme of each wire, it was a dead-on match.

The generic piggy back does not have any tables pre-loaded, all the values are set at neutral, so we get on the dyno and take a base reading and adjust from there. My car was running rich up to redline when it hit 12 AF with the stock SC pulley. After installing the 70mm pulley, it went from rich, to lean and then the injectors hit 100% duty cycle. To solve that, I installed 40lb C32 injectors, which required more tuning to compensate for double the fuel, so we are no where near 50% duty cycle on the injectors now. I have a sold A/F of 12 up to about 6200 rpm, then it goes rich. Obivously I am not done, it needs more time on the dyno, but I have a show in two days so needed to take my car back for now.

Timing and fuel are the key adjustments of the Unichip, you can add/take away fuel and timing throughout the rev band, till you have everything dialed in perfect.

You might want to read about the Unichip

http://www.unichip.us/index.asp

Just keep in mind, that there are no plug n play options for the Mercedes, so you end up with the generic universal piggy back unit with no pre-loaded maps. You can get quite creative with the Unichip, they even have a bluetooth option that allows you to monitor settings via your cell phone and/or switch between multiple pre-set maps (one for 91 octane and one for 97 octane for example)
Old 07-30-2008, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500E Signal Rot
This is what I have so far, obivously not done, but close

Old 07-30-2008, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Very interesting, I assume this is very similar if not identical to what Speedybenz originally posted about in terms of use. So you say that unichip has access to the ECU schematics so that maybe us M113 V8 guys could wire up the universal unichip unit.

What kind of fuel pressure are you seeing throughout?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by silence
ignition timing can already be done with existing products.
For instance?

And I'm talking about advancing timing not retarding it.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

500E Signal Rot
Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
Very interesting, I assume this is very similar if not identical to what Speedybenz originally posted about in terms of use. So you say that unichip has access to the ECU schematics so that maybe us M113 V8 guys could wire up the universal unichip unit.

What kind of fuel pressure are you seeing throughout?
Yes, I would assume both products offer similar levels of tuning, the question is though, which company has ECU wiring diagrams for your car.

With the Kleemann fuel pressure regulator, it was pegging the fuel meter at over 100psi, but we disconnected it, without, the fuel pressure is around 72-74 psi throughout the rev band. I don't know what my pressure is at the 6200rpm mark though, I need more time on the dyno to determine if the fuel pump is maxing out. I hope not, as my fuel pump has dual inlets and the clk55 pump and the other high flowing pumps only have a single inlet, so I would have to rig up some sort of Y fitting to run a higher flowing fuel pump, shouldnt be too big of a problem as that side is not pressurized.

If I were you, I would start by locating a Unichip dealer close to you, calling them and ask them to log in and do a search for Mercedes and see what is available. Unichip is in South Africa, so they have many versions of cars available in other markets, not just US spec.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
yeah, i'm just fine with no base map- wouldn't care to use it anyways (will certainly put the car on a dyno and spend a few hrs at it soon as i have the capability).

splitsecond has told me they more or less know how to adjust timing (i take it with a grain of salt to some degree)

i would absolutely make an E85 tune, 93 octane tune and a nitrous tune if the software can support it. I've been itching to go E85 (forget about needing any meth with my air-water ic and E85... heh)
Old 07-31-2008, 05:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by silence
yeah, i'm just fine with no base map- wouldn't care to use it anyways (will certainly put the car on a dyno and spend a few hrs at it soon as i have the capability).

splitsecond has told me they more or less know how to adjust timing (i take it with a grain of salt to some degree)

i would absolutely make an E85 tune, 93 octane tune and a nitrous tune if the software can support it. I've been itching to go E85 (forget about needing any meth with my air-water ic and E85... heh)
The split second kit retards timing. That's not what I'm looking for.

My car is N/A so based on your comment how do I advance the timing since you mentioned that you know existing products that will do that?
Old 07-31-2008, 12:01 PM

'98 C43 AMG. Obsidian Blk w/2 tone slvr/blk interior
this might be a retarded question, but when u say e85 are u talking about ethanol?
Old 07-31-2008, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
The split second kit retards timing. That's not what I'm looking for.

My car is N/A so based on your comment how do I advance the timing since you mentioned that you know existing products that will do that?

when i read above and someone asked (probably you) if it could adjust timing i jumped in with the info i had about adjusting timing with existing products. It was not clarified that you wanted to advance... the comment i quoted above is pretty harsh given the situation, give me a break.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
Originally Posted by SeeKlasse
this might be a retarded question, but when u say e85 are u talking about ethanol?

yes, around here it's very common and has quite a few benefits with FI

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Adjusting Air-Fuel Ratios on ME 2.0