C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

AMS Crank Pulley Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post AMS Crank Pulley Review

Its time for a review on this pulley.
So i just needed to let you all know how much this pulley really helps. The car feels like it has much more power all throughout the power band. At lower RPM's its defiantly a bit more noticeable. I am very happy with everything. The installation wasnt too bad. But my father has been a Mercedes mechanic for about 23 years, and having him do it made it pretty simple.

Basically the factory pulley is a beast compared to the AMS one. After removing the factory pulley you can tell just hom much weight is being taken right off the crank.
With the new pulley coming in at 70% lighter than stock there really is an increase in power. If you are planning on installing this yourself you might want to rethink it. The hardest part wasn't breaking the crank bolt loose, but making sure the tiny guide pin was seated perfectly in the slot on the crank shaft. If you think you might not be able to do it. Don't, just take it to a mechanic. It is worth having it installed correctly.

Once the pulley was installed the first couple miles were a bit tedious.. Just a little nervous making sure everything gets seated properly. After about 3 days of normal driving i decided to start pushing it. It seems that the car takes a little time to get used to the weight loss. I started to notice more and more power when i dug into the throttle. Honestly i think this pulley is worth every penny. This has got to be the best and easiest way to add some horsepower. The cost might be a bit high compared to an air filter but this is noticeable power. You can feel the car pulling through all the gears. The only problem i have now is that my tranny seems to hang at about 6500 before shifting up to 3rd.

I started out with 220hp and 219ft-lb of torque. After the pulley was installed (and about a month later) i tested again (today) and got 247hp and 259ft-lb torque. The weather condition were piratically the same and the dyno was set the exact same way. I am very impressed with the numbers i got and i can defiantly see this being the only thing i can do to gain this much power with so little effort.
The only things i have done to my car so far is a K&N cold air intake and resonator delete. Soon to follow should be a full exhaust and possibly a bigger throttle body. Just going to see how long it takes AMS to come up with them.

All in all I couldn't be happier with this pulley, so far i have seen gains of about 15hp. But i defiantly seemed to surpass that. The car seems to pull much easier and its like driving a whole new car. It just added a whole new feel to the car. They state that you get better gas millage, which im sure is true. But with the feeling of so much more power i cant help but punch it all the time. I am completely satisfied with this pulley and am defiantly looking forward to his headers or throttle body that are in the works. Thanks AMS!

P.S. Got a chance to go head to head with an 03-05 BMW 330I and smoked it, and also a 99-00 C43... And all i can say is i couldn't be happier!!
Attached Thumbnails AMS Crank Pulley Review-c36-dyno2-001.jpg   AMS Crank Pulley Review-c36-dyno2.jpg   AMS Crank Pulley Review-c36-dyno.jpg  
Old 12-11-2008, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Once again a newbie ( or shill ??? ) posting a great review...
Same as he did on another forum.
Guess sales need a boost ?

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202...ey-review.html
Old 12-11-2008, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by RBYCC
Once again a newbie ( or shill ??? ) posting a great review...
Same as he did on another forum.
Guess sales need a boost ?

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202...ey-review.html
+1 a little over the top, I remember Omey Homey before he became a super tuner.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
What are the chances that everyone of his customers who give a rave review has the install dyno'd on a Dyno Dynamics unit ???

Never a more common unit such as a DynoJet inertia type which would provide higher numbers or a similar load type such as Mustang.

Pulls never show important data such as temperature, humidity, car weight, what gear etc....
Old 12-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
I agree, this is a in depth post for someone with only 3 posts. I read this late last night a felt uneasy about this review. However i do dyno on a dyno dynamics dyno at dyno-comp in Scottsdale AZ. Its local for me. I just never seen such a post from a person with only 3 posts. My findings on the AMS pulley are legit and i dont need to convince anyone of that, but this thread fails to convince IMO.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
not only that....

but over on the other benz board (where this poster actually has history) within minutes of that post appearing there was another post by 'germanaudiotech' who also posted glowing comments - it was his first post.
I took a screen shot showing who was viewing this new thread - guess what Abedin motor sports.

A bit of a coincidence that within minutes of the initial post all this should happen especially as there'd only been 2 views at that time, one of which would have been me !

Germanaudiotech then deleted his post - maybe Omey (if it was him) thought it was a bit too obvious ?

Funny stuff :-)
Old 12-11-2008, 12:50 PM

I can assure you that i am in no way linked to Omey. I have a pic of my car on the dyno buried on my phone. But there is a video my friend took on youtube right here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3owzUI5AUU

If you need me to take a pic with my username next to my car i will. LOL
I know there is alot of stuff going around about some non-truthful info coming out on AMS, but i am happy with my pulley so there isnt much more for me to say..

Also, the dynos were done is the same weather conditoins. I wish the guy operating this thing knew more and would have put all the other info on there.
These pulls were done in 3rd gear.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:57 PM

markland556....

I have no doubt you are who you say you are and that you're happy with the overall performance of your C36 including that of the pulley.

I was just alluding to the suspicious nature of germanaudiotech and Omey's appearance at the same time as your post and that of germanaudiotechs now deleted post.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Hello Everyone,

It is definitely not a shill account, mark is one of our customers and was a long time member of club202 (for those of you who haven't been on that site, he has same username on the website for proof). We agree the results are off the charts and we are going to talk to Pina Motorsports to see exactly why the gains are so high. I have a feeling maybe because the dyno was done in 3rd gear instead of 4th gear (this may be it), the lower the gear the bigger the difference typically simply b/c of the effect of gearing.

Either way we are glad you are happy with our products Mark.

His baseline numbers were very strong for a C36 AMG (220/220 for C36 is very strong for a dyno dynamics dyno, our test car was only 213/218).

With that said, the numbers are still too extreme. He should have made roughly 20hp/23tq at the wheels in the mid range with those baseline numbers so we are trying to figure out exactly what was done differently. We agree the numbers are high but perhaps it was a settings issue, we will see if Pina can either correct or redo the dyno for free b/c something is not as it should be.

Thanks Mark, have a nice day.

Last edited by AMS Performance; 12-11-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
It just looks strange
Old 12-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
It just looks strange
What looks strange, the graphs?

It appears the graphs do cross at 5250rpm and the baseline numbers so seem very realistic & accurate, its the after dyno that is questionable. In addition the redlines do match up to stock and they are the same on before & after so it doesn't appear they put in the wrong car for the input. For some reason its just extremely high. The file # and the last name all match up on the dynos so appearantly they didn't mix him up with another customer, and the actual shape of the dynos look very similar to our in house dynos but for some reason the gains are off the charts.

I have a feeling b/c the C36s are very difficult to dyno that maybe on the after dyno it was calibrated to run in 4th gear but the dyno operator may have accidentally ran it in third gear which would give it higher than normal numbers so I'm thinking thats what it is. It should drop down to roughly around the 20hp/tq range for the gains when done in same gear, but I agree I will be the first to admit those numbers are a bit too high.

I guess you know a thing or two about shops making mistakes though hooley so I wouldn't be surprised if human error is involved, just comes with the territory.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMS Performance
Hello Everyone,

It is definitely not a shill account, mark is one of our customers and was a long time member of club202 (for those of you who haven't been on that site, he has same username on the website for proof). We agree the results are off the charts and we are going to talk to Pina Motorsports to see exactly why the gains are so high. I have a feeling maybe because the dyno was done in 3rd gear instead of 4th gear (this may be it), the lower the gear the bigger the difference typically simply b/c of the effect of gearing.

The dyno rollers know not the gear you are in and don't really care.

On a Merc automatic you typically do the pull in third gear.
You bring the dyno in when the vehicle upshifts to third usually around 50-60mph.
You can reach your max rpm at a lower speed which means lower revolutions of the rollers.
Winding your engine and drive train up at a 1:1 ratio takes much longer and increases strain and may induce excess overheating.

On a load dyno as you are using the operator can come out with whatever result he wants by establishing incorrect parameters and correction factors.

And you claim to design high performance parts ???

Last edited by RBYCC; 12-11-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by RBYCC

The dyno rollers know not the gear you are in and don't really care.

On a Merc automatic you typically do the pull in third gear.
You bring the dyno in when the vehicle upshifts to third usually around 50-60mph.
You can reach your max rpm at a lower speed which means lower revolutions of the rollers.
Winding your engine and drive train up at a 1:1 ratio takes much longer and increases strain and may induce excess overheating.

On a load dyno as you are using the operator can come out with whatever result he wants by establishing incorrect parameters and correction factors.

The most accurate results are always done 1:1. You are always supposed to dyno 1:1 otherwise the numbers will be skewed more in one direction or the other, also the higher the gear the smoother the chart.

Honestly I do not know what it could be as it is one of our customers car done at an independent shop so I would have to call up the shop to see exactly how they performed the dyno, its completely out of my control as it is a 100% independent dyno. I will post info once I have spoken to the shop.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The most accurate results are always done 1:1. You are always supposed to dyno 1:1 otherwise the numbers will be skewed more in one direction or the other, also the higher the gear the smoother the chart.
Really now....you read too much and have no application experience.
1:1 is fourth gear in an automatic car, so you need to accelerate to almost 150mph to redline.
That's the very reason you use third gear in an automatic.
You then top out at around 110mph.

You also don't seem too familiar with a load dyno that does what differently from an inertia type ?

Honestly I do not know what it could be as it is one of our customers car done at an independent shop so I would have to call up the shop to see exactly how they performed the dyno, its completely out of my control as it is a 100% independent dyno. I will post info once I have spoken to the shop.
So you have your own dyno in your own shop ???

What is your engineering background as your responses always seem less then technical.

Dyno charts aside, you've yet to provide any real world before and after performance times on whatever car you're using as your test mule.

Do you own a car ?
Old 12-12-2008, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
seriously, can't the moderators step in and prevent this from continuing to happen in some way?
Old 12-12-2008, 02:24 AM

i call BULL**** on this whole thread,
real independant
Old 12-12-2008, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
i mean, it happens once... fine. It happens again and on every major forum (often resulting in posters being banned) and something sweeping needs to happen.

It's to the point now where i think every post he makes needs a bull##$ asterisk or he needs to be banned.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:29 AM

Logically...

We agree the results are off the charts and we are going to talk to Pina Motorsports to see exactly why the gains are so high. I have a feeling maybe because the dyno was done in 3rd gear instead of 4th gear (this may be it), the lower the gear the bigger the difference typically simply b/c of the effect of gearing.
You agree the results are 'off the charts' and thus erroneous meaning that all claimed power gains by the pulley as measured on your 'special dyno' are suspect if not totally invalidated.

As for dyno'ing 1;1 - get real, that's just crazy - nobody would do that given that could mean a roller speed of 150MPH or more.

Further how does gearing affect engine power output ?

It doesn't.

To answer RYBCC questions on your behalf (although I suspect he knows the answers).

1. Omey has no formal engineering experience only marketing.

2. Most if all of his 'knowledge' has been gleaned from reading the internet / magazines.

3. He doesn't do much R&D if any (see 1 above) - rather I suspect he has contract manufacturers copy existing designs, passes them off as his own, makes unfounded claims then tries to get others to dyno and support said claims.

Omey - your mis-information, shills, multiple ID's and patent lack of engine tuning experience is what leads others astray to frequently make bad choices.

I'm with Silence here - I suggest MBworld takes the same action as Benzworld on threads such as these ie lock and / or remove vendor sponsorship.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
First off I wanted to say I have a hard time believing that reducing rotating mass of this amount on any car in such a small diameter would show much if any rear wheel hp gain. That said I am surprised about the debate on what gear to dyno a car in. I have always used direct drive to dyno a car. Otherwise
why not dyno in 2nd gear. I understand that people dyno in third because of hitting the speed limiter but this is not the standard that I know.
Again I do not believe the horsepower gains either and as most of us know, for
a real test you would have to correct for conditions or better yet do the comparison the sameday. A 20+ wheel horsepower difference could be the difference between 70-80 degree weather and 40-60 degree weather.
Look at the dates on the dyno sheets. October and mid december.
Anyway I would try the balancer and do a same day test with a money back guarantee for the part, shipping, and the dyno time.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Homey has covered his tracks here.
All the funny posts are gone.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others

I figure you have another month or 2 tops, before you're booted from here as well. For the last time YOUR PRODUCT IS JUNK. You have been made a fool on BenzWorld so many times, I can't count. There are exactly ZERO proven vendors (Brabus, Renntech, Kleemann, VRP, etc.) that make lightened pulleys, BECAUSE THEY DO NOT DO WHAT YOU CLAIM, NOR DO THEY MAKE ANY REAL, REPEATABLE GAINS. In fact, there are very real scientifically verfiable reasons NOT to change the pulley to something lighter, like harmonics, that you do not even address.

Moderators, please look into this ASAP and take the appropriate action.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Its funny how the C55 guys who have used this pulley seem to like it alot. Me being one of them. Until the dealer didnt tighten down my crank bolt and almost trashed my crank. I will be the first to tell you the pulley made power on the dyno and thats the honest truth. When you put the Pulley in your hand you always think "Wow thats a nice looking pulley." And it is. The machining on it is top notch. Think about it, There are people on this forum that have them and how many are complaining? The only ones crying foul are people who have never used it. I've been modding mercedes for some time. From back to my first 1992 190E to my 2003 S500 and now a C55. I just about know what works and what does not. As do alot of you guys too. I guess I would just say you gotta try it before you knock it. I think AMS should do a full unedited video of the pulley with before and after dynos. I would put money on the pulley making power.

I tell you what, I think this whole thread is strange and a bit suspect though.

Last edited by hooleyboy; 12-29-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Glad you like it. Now go ask Renntech, Kleemann, VRP, Brabus, Carlsson, or anyone else in the business why they don't make lightened pulleys. Your pulley does make power. It has already been calculated that it could make a grand total of about 4-5 crank horsepower, that is all. Unfortunately, it would be nearly impossible to verify that increase since that's about the error in a dyno of your car. Not money well spent when you consider that the possible damage to the bottom end of the motor over time will be several times the cost of the pulley to repair. You would do much better buying under drive pulleys that are proven to make power. It simply is not possible for this product to make 27 hp and 40 lb/ft. of torque over an otherwise unmodified car, sorry. I post here because this would not be the first "tuner" to sell parts that not only do not do what they claim, but are putting peoples cars at risk.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:08 PM

In search of W222
Someone please close this thread. and kick AMS out..
Old 12-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
27hp and 40wtq is alot to ask. I picked up just over 10whp in the low and mid range but no peak Hp gains. I also seen 15wtq gain through out the rpm range. It made power for me. I'm not sticking up for anyone, So let make that clear. IF I didnt have the pulley before all this talk Might not have bought it. Also let it be noted the VRP sells E55 an airbox for the C55. They showed all sorts of dyno charts and claimed whp gains. Well I did a test and posted a thread with my dyno results. Renntech's airbox made over 10whp more than a stock E55 airbox fitted on a C55. We all know the Renntech airbox does not make much over 10whp over stock anyway. No one seems to be calling out VRP on the claims they made? IF we as members are in it to protect other members against false, unproven or debunked claims then VRP selling the E55 airbox as an alternative to the Renntech airbox should first on the list. As that was independently proven to make less whp than Renntech's intake. I think AMS should send a member a pulley (on the house) that can be trusted to do an objective review of the pulley on a C36. Thats really going to be the only way to see if the prof is in the pudding.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMS Crank Pulley Review