C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

AMS Crank Pulley Review

Old 12-30-2008, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
RBYCC, do what you do best that should keep you busy for a while. I still can't believe somebody would try and sell non-harmonic dampened pulleys to mercedes owners. Talk about a lawsuit waiting to happen, you guys should address alot of your concerns to that thread above, in that case they are 100% legitimate.
Young man I do not need anything to keep me busy.
As one who has had over forty years experience in competitive motorsports ( NHRA, SCCA, SVRA ) my concern is about safety.

I can live without airbags , supplemental restraints, etc, but really concerned about a rotating mass in the drive train that does not meet any accepted industry standards and which can easily become a hand grenade.

Have you ever seen the results of an "approved" flywheel coming through a bell housing ?
Thankful for shields and flack blankets...

Note I stated "approved" to reinforce that even the best can come apart under high RPM and load....so what does the non tested to spec do in the same circumstances ?

I'm not litigious, I'm an avid gear head, have engineering background and an extremely successful international businessman...
Not a kid, sixty years old, and to sell anything that you claim to be the manufacturer of, without a ton of product liability insurance shows the fool you are....
Old 12-30-2008, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
AMS stands by our products and behind our customers. If you do not believe that then ask Hooley yourself. What we did for him NO other MB tuner would have done. We go above and beyond for our customers, ask him yourself.
You now claim to be a "tuner".

Please backup that statement...

What do you own and what are its real world, non dyno, performance numbers?

Have you ever built a race engine from the bottom up including all the measurements and calculations to get to a "blue print" condition.
So tell me how you CC a head or check bearing clearances on a crank ???

You seem to be a guru on NA AMG motors, what is your background on the various injection and engine management systems that apply?

Tune this....
Old 12-30-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Don't expect Omey to reply to this thread....

as he tends to avoid answering 'difficult' questions - preferring instead to let threads die and get buried.

Not a bad strategy, unfortunately he frequently starts digging another hole for himself elsewhere and doesn't know when to stop :-)

I suspect it's just a matter of time before he loses his MBworld sponsorship (or gives up) - much like what happened on the other MB forum.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Originally Posted by RBYCC
Young man I do not need anything to keep me busy.
As one who has had over forty years experience in competitive motorsports ( NHRA, SCCA, SVRA ) my concern is about safety.

I can live without airbags , supplemental restraints, etc, but really concerned about a rotating mass in the drive train that does not meet any accepted industry standards and which can easily become a hand grenade.

Have you ever seen the results of an "approved" flywheel coming through a bell housing ?
Thankful for shields and flack blankets...

Note I stated "approved" to reinforce that even the best can come apart under high RPM and load....so what does the non tested to spec do in the same circumstances ?

I'm not litigious, I'm an avid gear head, have engineering background and an extremely successful international businessman...
Not a kid, sixty years old, and to sell anything that you claim to be the manufacturer of, without a ton of product liability insurance shows the fool you are....
Agree completely as I HAVE seen a clutch come apart at about 7K RPM. If not for the scatter shield, I probably would have lost one or both feet.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Gentlemen,

The points you raise interest me as always,

I drive my car very hard and kick down daily/regulary every time I go out in the car .I probably won't ever be able to provide calculated facts regarding the mechanical difference the pulley makes, so maybe I should not comment anymore.

But......... the car performs very well and as my faith in the pulley has grown I push my car harder as I did before the install. I only have the back box and the two front cats in the exhaust and sometimes when changing from 1st to 2nd gear after full throttle kick down the exhaust note pops as it hits the rev limiter, I did both mods around the same time,,,,,,,,,does anyone else get this?

Also noticed that MB quote to Torque harmonic balancer bolt in two stages: First torque bolt to: 200 Nm then turn bolt 95 °. But torque value from AMS was different (must be because its alluminium)

Because I drive my car like I have stolen it sometimes , I pretty much give it a good look over every weekend, I think its called a hobby lol......and the balancer is now something I check and it runs as true as the day it was installed nearly a 1000 miles ago

Last edited by £ C43 £ AMG £; 01-02-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:01 AM

Pulley review....

Over on the Benz site, it would appear that Markland556 has removed the pulley and received a full refund from AMS.

Credit where credit is due to AMS / Omey for doing the right thing.

Seems it worked loose, like Hooleyboys, despite being correctly installed it would appear.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Hey guys,

We stand by our products and our customers, always have always will. Sometimes the installs just don't go as planned but none the less we provided full refund. Honesty is the best policy and we have always said if you aren't happy we will issue refund as proven.

Thanks £ C43 £ AMG £ for your kind remarks. Glad you hear you have been very satisfied with our performance pulley. Good news is our C43 headers are on the way .

Take care,
~AMS~
Old 04-14-2009, 10:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Great pulley ...........4000 miles later and alot of burn outs.

I just need engine mounts and my air con evaporator replaced.....what a pain.

Hey guys,

We stand by our products and our customers, always have always will. Sometimes the installs just don't go as planned but none the less we provided full refund. Honesty is the best policy and we have always said if you aren't happy we will issue refund as proven.

Thanks £ C43 £ AMG £ for your kind remarks. Glad you hear you have been very satisfied with our performance pulley. Good news is our C43 headers are on the way .

Take care,
~AMS~
Old 04-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by £ C43 £ AMG £
Great pulley ...........4000 miles later and alot of burn outs.

I just need engine mounts and my air con evaporator replaced.....what a pain.
I am glad to hear everything finally worked out for the best, who knew it would be so hard to take off a stock pulley .

By the way, our new C43 headers will be coming out in Summer which will make significant gains for the C43 (especially in conjunction with the pulley).

~AMS~
Old 04-28-2009, 10:04 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
I am in the process of purchasing some mods for my car and I am choosing to use AMS Performance stage 2 upgrade. Right now I am in the process of collecting some money. I have read many good reviews and they seem to be very knowledgeable about their products. They have dyno-proven charts to back up their HP claims. I will post my experience on the fourm Good or Bad with videos, but if all turns out well, credit need to be given to where it is deserved.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cdiem
I am in the process of purchasing some mods for my car and I am choosing to use AMS Performance stage 2 upgrade. Right now I am in the process of collecting some money. I have read many good reviews and they seem to be very knowledgeable about their products. They have dyno-proven charts to back up their HP claims. I will post my experience on the fourm Good or Bad with videos, but if all turns out well, credit need to be given to where it is deserved.
Here we go again...another "newbie" rehashing that which shouldn't be rehashed...

Puh-leez give it a break
Old 04-28-2009, 11:58 AM

1999 C43
What exactly is PULLEY?
I ve been hearing about this pulley thingy for years now. What does it do? Is there a picture of this pulley?
Is it easy DIY? How much does it cost?

Sorry for my ignorance, i am just a regular driver of C43 for 3 years, i don't modify my vehicle, I can do some DIYs. I am just curious.

Thank you
Old 04-28-2009, 12:22 PM

Vardar - this infamous thread ......

should answer some of your questions:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...torsports.html

or this one at post number 7

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...lier-r129.html

Interestingly Omey has yet to answer the questions posed by Bobterry99 in post 10.

But like RBYCC - this topic has been beat to death so much it's not even funny anymore.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:36 PM

1999 C43
Thank you sir.
I did not see any pictures of "PULLEY" in your posts....
Or simple explanation of what it is, what is does... Like I mentioned, I am not racer, i don't have those "track days", i am curious what people are talking about.

Thanks
Old 04-28-2009, 03:01 PM

A brief summary...

it is alleged by Omey (sole owner and employee of AMS) that for every 1lb of rotating mass removed from the crankshaft pulley 2.7HP is 'freed up' and that fuel consumption is improved by 2-3mpg.

Thus as the AMS 'performance' pulley is for example 5lbs lighter than stock AMS claims that 5x2.7HP= 13.5HP is "freed up" and that fuel consumption is improved by approx 10% (20 to 22MPG for example)

This is for a stock diameter pulley - which the AMS unit is.

Unfortunately the physics and math does not support this assertion, instead the calculated HP is less than 0.5HP and a 10% fuel consumption improvement is just pure BS.

If it were true - my 1/4HP bench grind wheel would never get up to speed in a reasonable time and engine makers would have been all over the fuel consumption improvement.

Then there's the issue of crankshaft torsional resonance damping - or lack thereof with a light weight pulley.....

A little time using the search function here and on Benzworld will reveal much more information on the above and why the claims are absurd bordering on fraudulent.

Regards Tim
Old 04-28-2009, 03:14 PM

1999 C43
sorry i wasted your time dude.
u r still talking french to me.
i repeatedly said, i am not into tech, and racing, u r still telling all that stuff.. still no photos or pictures.

never mind

Originally Posted by timdf
it is alleged by Omey (sole owner and employee of AMS) that for every 1lb of rotating mass removed from the crankshaft pulley 2.7HP is 'freed up' and that fuel consumption is improved by 2-3mpg.

Thus as the AMS 'performance' pulley is for example 5lbs lighter than stock AMS claims that 5x2.7HP= 13.5HP is "freed up" and that fuel consumption is improved by approx 10% (20 to 22MPG for example)

This is for a stock diameter pulley - which the AMS unit is.

Unfortunately the physics and math does not support this assertion, instead the calculated HP is less than 0.5HP and a 10% fuel consumption improvement is just pure BS.

If it were true - my 1/4HP bench grind wheel would never get up to speed in a reasonable time and engine makers would have been all over the fuel consumption improvement.

Then there's the issue of crankshaft torsional resonance damping - or lack thereof with a light weight pulley.....

A little time using the search function here and on Benzworld will reveal much more information on the above and why the claims are absurd bordering on fraudulent.

Regards Tim
Old 04-28-2009, 03:31 PM

try this then....

lighter anything is better and faster - generally correct.

Problem is in the case of the pulley the claims made are overstated by 20 times or so.

I don't think I can make it any simpler to understand :-)

Good luck with your mods no matter what you select.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Originally Posted by timdf
lighter anything is better and faster - generally correct.

Problem is in the case of the pulley the claims made are overstated by 20 times or so.

I don't think I can make it any simpler to understand :-)

Good luck with your mods no matter what you select.
Tim, tell him about the Vortex.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:38 PM

1999 C43
CAN ANYONE SHOW ME WHAT THIS "PULLEY" LOOKS LIKE?
IS THIS AN INVISIBLE MOD?
Old 04-28-2009, 04:45 PM

check out the AMS website....

lots of pictures of pulleys, headers and stuff - but it is just that 'a nice big shiny pulley' made out of aluminum as opposed to cast iron.

Looks cool but does practically nothing !

http://www.abedinmotorsports.com/products.htm

It's really that simple :-)

Better watch out now as I've attracted the attention of a 'super moderator' and don't want to get banned for being a 'non believer'
Old 04-28-2009, 04:59 PM

1999 C43
so pulley is attached to shaft?
and cuz it is lighter, it works better?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by Vardar
so pulley is attached to shaft?
and cuz it is lighter, it works better?

Oh boy.... as stated above, check out the vortex or tornado. Snapped a driveshaft last time I ran one.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
OMEY DOES IT AGAIN!!!!Lock it MODS.