C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

C43 ECU remap - where is it located?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
C43 ECU remap - where is it located?

Hi all,

Just changed the leads and plugs, used race spec magnacor and bosch platinumm, very pleased It took me three dark and cold nights, about 5 hours, but I like to do things properly (cleaning and checking things on the way - the earth strap below the engine had broken off in the past and had been wedged back in, so I replaced that too for a new one.

I am now having the ECU remapped, but need to send it off. I know where its located but which ECU is it. I have not looked inside the diagnostics box on the passenger side but assume there will be more than one ECU, windows, ABS, etc.

Is it obvious which one it is? If I remove the wrong one, I know that the car will still start, so I can still do it by trial and error

Last edited by £ C43 £ AMG £; 03-02-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Why

are you modifying the ECU?
Have you added modifications other than the very poor choice of the aftermarket plug wires?
Headers?power adders?Ported heads?Cams?etc.
Without the need for more fuel,related to the engines ability to take in more air,you hardly need to be having someone remap your ECU.
You may want to run some base line tests to prove you actually gain.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 PM

E55K AMG
Thank you for your help and advice, the remap is specific to my specific modifications and requirements not yours.

I only run my car on 98RON fuel +1.

Sprint booster?

K&N filters +1.

AMS alloy crank pulley?

CATS and center exhaust section removed +1

magnacor KV85 leads http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/pr...ecor-leads.asp (which I noticed improved the response throughout the rev range, but I probably imagined it?)

Oh and I have polished and ported my rear end, the base line stats of my car are also good, thanks

Last edited by £ C43 £ AMG £; 03-02-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chrysler Crossfire
I know you are in the UK, but there are some much better deals here in the states. The price on those plugs is high. Great product though, every serious car that leaves our shop has them installed.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
98 RON

is equivalent to 93 octane in the states.
Sprint booster,even in their own literature admit that it only makes the car (seem quicker) It does not increase power or decrease time slips at the track.
K/N already proven to pass 8times the dust of oem filters and at a lower air flow rate after 30 minutes of operation.
The wires,run it on a dyno before and after.We have stock wires equal or exceed and no issues with misfires.
Cat removal hardly gains 2-4 hp
Pulley nice piece,but also unsubstantiated power adder.
Polished and ported rear end?
You are quite correct it is your car not mine,I polish and port my cylinder heads.
Good luck with your ECU remap,so far you have fallen for most of the snake oil solutions,you may as well try remapping your ECU so you can take care of all that extra power the sprint booster added.
Kleeman installs a modified ECU when adding a supercharger that adds 100 hp to the base line engine.
Your ECU is very capable of adjusting to the loss (most likely)or addition of 5-8 h.p. from your out of the box modifications.None of which require a remapped ECU.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^what he said,
harsh reality but the truth,
im not sure of what the re-map is, but a little bit more power may be obtainable from a remap on a standard car but not much, maby slightly more advanced timing an adjustments to the fuel map, but is very hard to dial in without having your actual car on a dyno,
put a deceent c.i.a (cold air intake) and combined with the cat delete you may benefit slightly from a ecu remap, but they are normally overpriced for the gain anyway.

and in my own oppinion you cant get a bigger waste of money than new wires and plugs unless your old ones are causing you problems such as missfires etc, copper plugs will do you fine and willnot limit your power.

i hate being a wet blanket, but bro?.... do some more reading around
Old 03-04-2009, 01:32 AM

1997 C36AMG
Originally Posted by ohlord
is equivalent to 93 octane in the states.
Sprint booster,even in their own literature admit that it only makes the car (seem quicker) It does not increase power or decrease time slips at the track.
K/N already proven to pass 8times the dust of oem filters and at a lower air flow rate after 30 minutes of operation.
The wires,run it on a dyno before and after.We have stock wires equal or exceed and no issues with misfires.
Cat removal hardly gains 2-4 hp
Pulley nice piece,but also unsubstantiated power adder.
Polished and ported rear end?
You are quite correct it is your car not mine,I polish and port my cylinder heads.
Good luck with your ECU remap,so far you have fallen for most of the snake oil solutions,you may as well try remapping your ECU so you can take care of all that extra power the sprint booster added.
Kleeman installs a modified ECU when adding a supercharger that adds 100 hp to the base line engine.
Your ECU is very capable of adjusting to the loss (most likely)or addition of 5-8 h.p. from your out of the box modifications.None of which require a remapped ECU.

+1 hey man, we all know ohlord, he can be a bit frank but really means no harm, thinki of him as a strict dad or head mistress haha he knows his onions, so yea he may be a lil harsh but his info is right....remap that ECU after major mods and you'll make the cash you spend on the ECu remap worth every penny
Old 03-09-2009, 10:29 AM

E55K AMG
Remap carried out, on the first day there was only a slight difference and responded a bit better?

But now over the weekend it is quite an animal when driving by myself, I am very impressed and completely trust the installer and motorsport workshop that that carried out the work (my ECU file was used to remap, not a modified copy remap of an existing file).

The set up is richer on fueling (with a slight timing advance) and the car pulls alot harder from lower down in the revs, the torque is incredible and kick down at 60mph in comparison harder.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
...Good luck with your ECU remap,so far you have fallen for most of the snake oil solutions,you may as well try remapping your ECU so you can take care of all that extra power the sprint booster added.
Snake oil?

ECU remap is one of the best mods from a cost/HP consideration.

Hey ohlord - you wouldn't happen to have those 10-second timeslips from that magical e-class you allege to drive? Didn't think so......
Old 03-09-2009, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nothing that he

did required a richer fuel mixture,sprint booster install?
Argue if you like.He produced no base line numbers,is still talking butt dyno feelings.And if you feel an unmodified MB engine with a modified ECU is still one of the best dollar per h.p. additions you can perform .You are as clueless as the OP is.
A simple reset of the trans will raise shift points and make it pull down low lower and kick passing gear in harder at 60.Increasing timing and richening the fuel a bit did not turn the car into a beast.New ecu will just adapt to the o2 and maf sensor inputs and set them to 14.7.
Meanwhile my son 4 years ago at the tender age of 9 already appears to know far more than the 2 of you combined about modifying cars for power.
And he far exceeds that now as a teenager.
When the E55 drag demo car is finished up and on the track circuit,numbers will be published.Meanwhile I have another Wagon to deliver to the midwest and little time or need to argue with a doubter from Chi town.Go install a sprint booster or somethin
Dollar per H.P. you have not a Clue.Get one ,please.
Attached Thumbnails C43 ECU remap - where is it located?-assorted-pics-444-1a.jpg  
Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The snake oil addditions

were the mods mentioned.The ECU remap was not mentioned as snake oil,just simply not needed to take advantage of the snake oil mods he has fallen for so far.
ECU mod or piggy back additions are not snake oil,when the engine really needs it.
I'm going back out to the shop.
You go and install a K/N filter ,when you get done installing your sprintboosterFor surely like the O.P. you would be in the dark and having to get a workshop to install or locate your ECU.
Attached Thumbnails C43 ECU remap - where is it located?-mg-s-side-side1a.jpg  
Old 03-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
You go and install a K/N filter ,when you get done installing your sprintboosterFor surely like the O.P. you would be in the dark and having to get a workshop to install or locate your ECU.
Still waiting on the timeslip. You said you had one and I haven't seen it yet. Typical to resort to insults when faced with your untruths. I personally never claimed to have a 10-sec E-class, but you did. My landpig runs low 11s with the air-conditioned , massaging seats intact FWIW.

If you don't think $20/HP is a bargain on a NA car, I can't help you.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:21 AM

E55K AMG
My cars performance has improved..........................no..

I asked for the location of the ECU so I could speed things up and send it off myself, but in end the installer came round to me and removed it to send it to the workshop.

NO RESET WAS DONE TO MY GEARBOX ECU! But I do one maybe once a week >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>
Anyway what has this got to do with fuelling?

Why OH MY LORD are you so sure that the modified parameters in the ECU will make no difference, are you sure it will just change back to the original profile. The changes made in the PROM are permanent, aren't they? The speed limit restriction was also taken off, but I did not push it.

Don't manufacturers emission requirements effect the original set up, which I now had changed to suit my preferences in fuel for example? No I have not quoted any numbers and not even a percentage increase.

I drive my car hard and fast all the time and do all the work I can on it because of that reason. Trust me I don't let monkeys work on my car as I have corrected peoples (monkeys) work in the past, so if thats what you are saying so be it.

Last edited by £ C43 £ AMG £; 03-10-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:04 AM

hello again c43amg
i will provide you with all the info i know about engine tuning and what a chip does,

you ecu will not return to normal like oh my lord says, this information is incorect, ur new chip is permanant!

the new chip you have will provide slighly more advanced ignition timing, and increased fuel to cope with this, the chip will give you benifits into the future also, like for example if you put a cold air intake/box in.

like you say car manafacturers are dogged by compromises when producing cars, and fuel economy and emmisions are normally strong driving forces,
so from factory they are tuned on the lean side to save fuel and emmisions, so you have made you car more of a polluter :-) but that comes with Hp.

you will see a gain dont worry about that, but i was unsure as to the gain
Hp/$, sometimes chips can be overpriced for there gain, but i have no idea what your chip cost/gains. as you need it on a dyno to fully gauge this.

i think yet there is still more mods you could do to gain even more out of your chip, but ask around and read around to make sure you are getting a good product and not some over hyped bolt on crap, not saying any of yours are, but some of them are boarderline

i drive my car like i stole it too

Last edited by c280_nz; 03-11-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:41 PM

E55K AMG
Hi,
I need to replace the front discs also, do the C32 discs http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRILLED-GROOVE...3A1|240%3A1318 go on with my calipers or do i need to get C32 calipers as well? I want these but it too much money http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=200315566960

thanks

Also off subject but after fitting a Xenon kit I noticed that my head lamps have 4 bulbs in each of them,

X1 H7 ---------Main beam
x1 501---------side light
x2 H1 ---------High beam (the other does nothing which I can not get a live from, what does it do?)

Last edited by £ C43 £ AMG £; 03-16-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
The only two models to use our brakes are the C43 and E50. Can't use the C32 rotors without C32 calipers.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:27 AM

1998 C43(gone, will be missed), Current car = CES Stage 2 Turbo M3
Originally Posted by c280_nz
hello again c43amg
i will provide you with all the info i know about engine tuning and what a chip does,

you ecu will not return to normal like oh my lord says, this information is incorect, ur new chip is permanant!

the new chip you have will provide slighly more advanced ignition timing, and increased fuel to cope with this, the chip will give you benifits into the future also, like for example if you put a cold air intake/box in.

like you say car manafacturers are dogged by compromises when producing cars, and fuel economy and emmisions are normally strong driving forces,
so from factory they are tuned on the lean side to save fuel and emmisions, so you have made you car more of a polluter :-) but that comes with Hp.

you will see a gain dont worry about that, but i was unsure as to the gain
Hp/$, sometimes chips can be overpriced for there gain, but i have no idea what your chip cost/gains. as you need it on a dyno to fully gauge this.

i think yet there is still more mods you could do to gain even more out of your chip, but ask around and read around to make sure you are getting a good product and not some over hyped bolt on crap, not saying any of yours are, but some of them are boarderline

i drive my car like i stole it too

Last i checked cars from the factory are usually on the richer side of things, for safety. Tends to be why you gain hp from a ecu mod which tends to lean the afr's out. But then again who knows. Feels nice to be back on mbworld.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
You might want to look at getting a good set of headers for you car. I know Kleemann makes them for the C43. They're similar to the ones I have in that they delete your 1st set of cats. If this is an issue to you I'm sure there are others that are straight bolt-on and leave your cats where they are. For an n/a car they are probably one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do....
Old 03-23-2009, 07:58 PM

E55K AMG
Originally Posted by wawy
You might want to look at getting a good set of headers for you car. I know Kleemann makes them for the C43. They're similar to the ones I have in that they delete your 1st set of cats. If this is an issue to you I'm sure there are others that are straight bolt-on and leave your cats where they are. For an n/a car they are probably one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do....
You are right, they are a great mod and would like to fit them, but my engine mods budget is now coming to an end.

As I am now looking at putting aside the money for my next car. I like the E55 Komp, now that the prices have come done in the used market.
Attached Thumbnails C43 ECU remap - where is it located?-dsc05038b.jpg   C43 ECU remap - where is it located?-dsc05037a.jpg  

Last edited by £ C43 £ AMG £; 03-23-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Originally Posted by £ C43 £ AMG £
You are right, they are a great mod and would like to fit them, but my engine mods budget is now coming to an end.

As I am now looking at putting aside the money for my next car. I like the E55 Komp, now that the prices have come done in the used market.
Yes, the W211 E55 is an icon!