C36 Front Apron Pass-Side Tow Hook Cover Mold Making

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2010 | 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
C36 Front Apron Pass-Side Tow Hook Cover Mold Making

Hello all,
I'm sure all of you are familliar with my molding abilities and when I bought my C36 the passenger side tow hook cover was missing. The dealer quote was $260.. USD. YEAH RIGHT!
Jay here on the forums notified me of a guy he knows that makes fibreglass reproductions of the covers for $100.00 USD, however, he was such a class act he sent one to me free of charge after learning the intentions of my project! (Jay is also one of the beta testers of the emblems as well ).
After about 15 days wating for the darn thing to arrive from Lebanon, Jay offered to send me ANOTHER free of charge! Such a stand up guy he is, ironically that same day the thing showed up out of the blue! I have shot a few pictures of it.

It looks ten times rougher and uglier than it is in real life. The guy who molded it used a crappy release agent that partially stuck to it, however, this is a perfect project to show off my finishing skills. By the time I'm done with this thing it will look smoother and better then the OEM one!!!!!

I REALLY REALLY REALLY need some of my fellow followers/buddies on here to either find me some good links, or if you are willing to take a few close up macro shots of your passenger side tow hook cover (front and back). If you can do this send FULL HIGH RESOLUTION shots to my direct email: bbc309 at gmail.com

I will finish this piece once I have some photos of originals then use it as a plug and make a mold from it, such that the pieces that will come out of this mold will be PERFECT and almost ready for paint after trimming.

Old 02-11-2010 | 01:08 PM

moon buggy
I'll take a picture of those and send them to you.

Questions: Why not use an original to create your mold?
Old 02-11-2010 | 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by ob1kenobi
I'll take a picture of those and send them to you.

Questions: Why not use an original to create your mold?
I wish I had one! My passenger side cover was missing when I bought the car and I WILL NOT PAY $260 for a new one! I have an original drivers side that will be molded as well but that will need touch up work as well.

I can make this thing look just like the original with some decent pictures, it will be finished to 1500 grit and painted then I will gelcoat the plug on each molding job, it will be flawless take my word for it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PICTURES, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I owe you
Old 02-11-2010 | 01:52 PM

moon buggy
pictures are coming...

It's just taking way too long for gmail to upload it as attachment.
Old 02-11-2010 | 02:06 PM

moon buggy
I had to send it in several emails.

Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 02-11-2010 | 02:56 PM

1997 C36 AMG
keep us posted on how this goes....i am missing my passenger side cover as well and will not pay the 275 that my dealer quoted me....
Old 02-11-2010 | 04:56 PM

1999 W210 E300 Turbodiesel
how much???
Old 02-11-2010 | 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Robert,
Super awesome shots man! I've got alot of shaping and adding to do to match that OEM piece, thank god I have the OEM driver side to look at as well. I've got about 8 of the photos you sent me printed out on high quality glossy paper, they will go into plastic sleeves so I have somethign to look at while I sculpt . I will keep you all posted! Keep the photos rolling in as well. This project may be put on hold for a bit as I'm restoring a beautiful 2 speed Red Wing buffing motor, although completley unrelated to the forum, I'd be willing to post a thread on that with pics as well if anyone is interested. This will be the machine that will give the mirror sheen to my products its a REAL Beaut!!!!!

-Ben
Old 02-12-2010 | 02:23 AM

1995 C 36 AMG; 1992 W124 300E (M103 Ex Mosselman TT KIT) was 320hp @10psi now stock :(
I told u Ben, that part needs serious finishing, hence me refusing that u pay for it.
On my car once the part was smoothed, finished and painted it looks real sweet on the car, thou mine is still missing the 2 short scoops on the back side :S
Old 02-12-2010 | 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by jayrasheed
I told u Ben, that part needs serious finishing, hence me refusing that u pay for it.
On my car once the part was smoothed, finished and painted it looks real sweet on the car, thou mine is still missing the 2 short scoops on the back side :S
Exactly I will mould all that in, not using this part on the car this will be the delicate "Test" pices, the one off master model that will be finished to perfection so dont have to worry about it being durable or strong just look perfect and whatnot so the finished version will match the originals as best as possible with fiberglass. Robert sent me amazing photos, high res that I have on premium photopaper that will be laminated so I can refer to them throuhout the process. He made sure to get all various angles so I can sould very close to the original contours and cutouts. I'm still amazingly super happy with this piece, well worth the price NO ONE WOULD EVEN KNOW it was a repro if you sanded it as is and painted it, but I want to make it as close to OEM AS HUMANLY POSSIBL, as that just how I do things hehe.
Old 02-12-2010 | 08:33 PM

83 500SEC, 87 300D, 02 C32(x2), 02 C320T (x2), 03 C320T4, 03 C320T, 03 E55, 05 E320CDI, 06 E320CDI