C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Need alignment specs for C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
Need alignment specs for C43

What are the correct alignment settings for a 1998 C43? Are they the same as the 1997 C36? In particular, I'd like to confirm that the front camber should be in the -2.1 to -1.1 range.

And now for the story...

I bought new tires about 8 months ago. The fronts are now showing major wear on the outside edges. Took car back to the shop (not a MB dealership), where they re-aligned and checked for worn suspension parts. This C43 has about 55k miles and the bushings and shocks seem just fine. Looking at the printout from the alignment equipment, I noticed that the car was entered as "W202 (C) sport"--oh no! Turns out they tech typed in my VIN and that was how it matched in the database. There was no entry for the 1998 C43. I had him look up a 1996 C36 and--no surprise--the camber on the C36 is listed as -2.1 through -1.1. My car was set to -0.3, which is in spec for the non AMG cars but quite far out for the AMG.

Would a camber of -0.3 alone account for major outside edge wear? I keep 35 PSI pressure in the tires (that's at the very upper end of the MB suggested range). I don't drive the car all that hard--certainly don't scrub the tires on a routine basis. The back tires (with similar camber setting and similar miles) are wearing evenly.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:05 PM

1998 Silver C43
I believe so, at a -0.3 setting the tires did not have enuf neg camber settign and caused the outside to wear. If a normal car settings are to be 0 and you adjust it to be -1.0 you'll see wear on the inside of the tire. But since in actuality your setting was on the positive side you saw wear on the outside. The store should get you new tires
Old 03-21-2003, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: Need alignment specs for C43

Originally posted by pwagner
Looking at the printout from the alignment equipment, I noticed that the car was entered as "W202 (C) sport"--oh no! Turns out they tech typed in my VIN and that was how it matched in the database. There was no entry for the 1998 C43. I had him look up a 1996 C36 and--no surprise--the camber on the C36 is listed as -2.1 through -1.1. My car was set to -0.3, which is in spec for the non AMG cars but quite far out for the AMG.

Would a camber of -0.3 alone account for major outside edge wear? I keep 35 PSI pressure in the tires (that's at the very upper end of the MB suggested range). I don't drive the car all that hard--certainly don't scrub the tires on a routine basis. The back tires (with similar camber setting and similar miles) are wearing evenly.
The C43 and C280 Sport suspensions share a majority of the components, so these specs can be used. The C43 is a bit different than the C36. It does not have AMG springs, for instance.

Note that Mercedes itself doesn't actually list alignment specifications, so any specs are "interpretations" of the instructions in the service manual. The service manual instructs that the alignment readings are taken, then a chart is consulted. The chart indicates if any adjustment is required. If adjustment is required, then the specificied adjustment is made to the "repair bolts" installed on the car (they are installed if not already fitted). If your car has not ever been aligned at a Mercedes dealership, it is likely that the repair bolts have not been fitted and the range of adjustment for your car is limited, and a non-MBZ shop may not make a full adjustment.

Also, the wear on your particular car and with your tires (size, brand, inflation pressure) is going to be unique, and also depends on your driving style and type of driving you do (lots of turns, lots of freeway, etc.). If yours are wearing on the outside, it's likely that you do not drive on the freeway as much.

-s-
Old 03-21-2003, 11:58 PM

AMG C43, 1999
Many times excessive outside tire wear can be caused by too much Toe In. Toe In tends to scrub the outside edge of the tire.

I would try to set the fronts to 1.0-1.5 degrees neg. camber
0-1/16" toe in
1-2 degree castor

Rear wheels

1.0-1.5 degree neg camber
1/16" Toe in

If you want it to turn quicker set the front up with 1/16-1/8" toe out. You wont believe how much extra front grip you will get. The car will feel like it locks into the corners.

Jeff
Old 03-24-2003, 06:34 PM

2017 GLE 350 Wifey, 2005 C55 AMG
Just to be safe ,if you have not already done so ,check to see if you need new ball joints. Bad ones will leave you balding badly on the outside as well- MOE
Old 03-24-2003, 06:40 PM

sorry i see that was already checked. sometimes i just dont read far enough into it
Old 03-24-2003, 06:44 PM

Sorry I see that you already had that checked. Dont read sometimes.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:48 PM

C43
Thanks for all the background information and help. I had no idea about the "repair bolts" thing for adjusting camber--though that would explain why the alignment place I went to originally said that camber wasn't adjustable.

Looks like I'll be scheduling a visit to the local Mercedes dealer. Any suggestings for one in the Bay Areay--there are quite a few from which to choose.

What costs should I be expecting for the bolts and for the service?
Old 03-25-2003, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
yes, the bolts....ahhemm...was required after i found out the um...accident repair work needed a second look. it took them 2 weeks to get it...

btw...i go to european motors in san francisco. one of the advisors used to work at another shop i went to, pretty nice. and he told me they fix normal alignment problems. for the tough ones, they send it over to this local shop on harrison. that's where i got the c36 aligned. pretty good.