C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Windshield Washer Nozzle/Tubing Gurus, Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Windshield Washer Nozzle/Tubing Gurus, Help!

Just wondering if anyone knows whether a single pump is responsible for supplying and spraying all four nozzles. From what I can see there are tubes obviously going to the headlight nozzles and the hood nozzles. However, when I actuate the stalk to get some cleaning action going on the fluid squirts about 5 feet out of the front of the car (front drivers side headlight arm has no nozzle apparently). I'm wondering if I just plug this part of the system up will it redeem my hood nozzles so I can clean my windshield again?
Old 05-31-2010, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 1996 C36
Perhaps just replace the headlight spray nozzle...it can't be too expensive?
Old 05-31-2010, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by OzC36
Perhaps just replace the headlight spray nozzle...it can't be too expensive?
Yeah, I wouldn't "plug" anything up. The hoses are meant to accept a certain amount of pressure and when you create a constriction it will increase the pressure (like putting your thumb over a garden hose) you might blow a
hose connection off or split a hose. I suggest the correct repair and get a new nozzle to avoid damaging something more expensive and time consuming to fix, I would be surprised if the nozzle was more than $25
Old 05-31-2010, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
True! I'll have to pick up the nozzle. I fixed the problem however. Well.....fixed might not be the right word but I figured out why the hood nozzles were not spraying. Apparently there are two seperate pumps for the headlights and windshield, I swapped the 2 pin connectors (power connector going to the headlight pump to the windshield pump) and now I have spray on the windshield. Thinking the stalk or possibly a relay may be the culprit, worst case scenario I could splice the non working connector in parallel with the one currently working is push comes to shove.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by appatula
True! I'll have to pick up the nozzle. I fixed the problem however. Well.....fixed might not be the right word but I figured out why the hood nozzles were not spraying. Apparently there are two seperate pumps for the headlights and windshield, I swapped the 2 pin connectors (power connector going to the headlight pump to the windshield pump) and now I have spray on the windshield. Thinking the stalk or possibly a relay may be the culprit, worst case scenario I could splice the non working connector in parallel with the one currently working is push comes to shove.
Start with fuses, then switches, then relays, then wiring. I would be very careful splicing 2 into 1 as that may cause extra loads on equipment which could lead to failure. I would imagine the counter measure you are using now (switching the pumps) will work but I would be wary as the pumps might not be the same and you could be overloading it which could lead to failure. I would try not to use the counter measure unless ABSOLUTELY NEEDED and I would repair your nozzle ASAP.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:35 PM

1996 C36 AMG, 1970 LeMans Sport, a truck
Originally Posted by appatula
Just wondering if anyone knows whether a single pump is responsible for supplying and spraying all four nozzles. From what I can see there are tubes obviously going to the headlight nozzles and the hood nozzles. However, when I actuate the stalk to get some cleaning action going on the fluid squirts about 5 feet out of the front of the car (front drivers side headlight arm has no nozzle apparently). I'm wondering if I just plug this part of the system up will it redeem my hood nozzles so I can clean my windshield again?
I'd be blasting pedestrians with that setup
Old 05-31-2010, 09:30 PM

83 500SEC, 87 300D, 02 C32(x2), 02 C320T (x2), 03 C320T4, 03 C320T, 03 E55, 05 E320CDI, 06 E320CDI
Ben, your headlamp pump should only get power when the headlights are on... are you sure it was hooked up correctly to begin with? turn the headlights on and hit it again and see if you have power on both.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by johnhef
Ben, your headlamp pump should only get power when the headlights are on... are you sure it was hooked up correctly to begin with? turn the headlights on and hit it again and see if you have power on both.
That is basically the info I was looking for! John to the rescue . I'll check that out, it is VERY possible I just corrected an old problem.

Start with fuses, then switches, then relays, then wiring. I would be very careful splicing 2 into 1 as that may cause extra loads on equipment which could lead to failure. I would imagine the counter measure you are using now (switching the pumps) will work but I would be wary as the pumps might not be the same and you could be overloading it which could lead to failure. I would try not to use the counter measure unless ABSOLUTELY NEEDED and I would repair your nozzle ASAP.
Fuses are always my first method of attack, no dice there. The only related switches are the stalk switch and headlight switch and I'm not playing with the s.column this summer! The relays are all rated for about 30A, there is no way that these little buggers pull more than 3-4 amps at the VERY most. No issues swapping connectors either as they are indeed the same part number. Needing a new nozzle isn't the end of the world for me, something I'll have to put on my list though.

I'd be blasting pedestrians with that setup
Randy, funny you'd mention that! I kinda liked having the ability to shoot stuff....maybe a "Kill Switch" is in store down the road but the fluid goes fast, believe me!